Page 111 of 197 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

4 Geier reach bandit plus 3 bandit of kruin pass plus the moggcatcher suite is the best version of Red aggro stompy there is imho. Both said creatures are good off the top, although for different reasons, and the moggcatcher suite is as good as always . Sin prodder Isn't a bad card, but it's not worth the trade off of not being able to cast him off chalice like, ever

Both look terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Sin prodder Isn't a bad card, but it's not worth the trade off of not being able to cast him off chalice like, ever
    What do you mean?

--

I'm going to be testing this soon:

Main
    Mountain 10
    Seething Song 4
    Trinisphere 4
    Chalice of the Void 4
    Blood Moon 4
    Magus of the Moon 4
    Sin Prodder 4
    Goblin Dark-Dwellers 1
    Stormbreath Dragon 3
    Umezawa's Jitte 2
    Goblin Rabblemaster 4

Board
    Ratchet Bomb 2
    Anarchy 2
    Phyrexian Revoker 3
    Pyrokinesis 4
    Cursed Totem 2
    Null Rod 2

Dark-Dweller shenanigans with Song.
    Revealing Pyrokinesis with Prodder post-board. I want Fireblast so badly, but no room.
    Jitte in for Sword of War and Peace only because it can come out with Song with another three drop. If I find I have 6 mana reliably, I will definitely go back to sowp.
    Jitte with Rabblemaster.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I had intended to buy Breakneck Riders and Geier Reach Bandits, but the shop hadn't opened any Shadows boxes yet... I quickly assembled the cards below and ended the night 4-0.

Main
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Scab-Clan Berserker
    3 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    2 Thunderbreak Regent
    2 Sword of War and Peace
    2 Magus of the Wheel
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Magma Jet
    3 Fiery Confluence

Sideboard
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

R1: Shardless BUG, 2-0
    R2: Eldrazi, 2-1
    R3: Dredge, 2-1
    R4: Eldrazi, 2-1

Games 2 and 3 felt unlosable against Eldrazi. Game 1s felt even.
    I got to live the dream of T1 Chalice, T2 TKS.
    Wheel Magus was a 3/3 for that traded with a 3/3 Endless One the only time I saw it...

Flamespeaker was great all night.

Sep 2015
    SF Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I had intended to buy Breakneck Riders and Geier Reach Bandits, but the shop hadn't opened any Shadows boxes yet... I quickly assembled the cards below and ended the night 4-0.

Main
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Scab-Clan Berserker
    3 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    2 Thunderbreak Regent
    2 Sword of War and Peace
    2 Magus of the Wheel
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Magma Jet
    3 Fiery Confluence

Sideboard
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

R1: Shardless BUG, 2-0
    R2: Eldrazi, 2-1
    R3: Dredge, 2-1

Games 2 and 3 felt unlosable against Eldrazi. Game 1s felt even.
    I got to live the dream of T1 Chalice, T2 TKS.
    Wheel Magus was a 3/3 for that traded with a 3/3 Endless One the only time I saw it...

Flamespeaker was great all night.
    This build looks sweet. Any changes you'd make moving forward?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by wasabizod View Post
    This build looks sweet. Any changes you'd make moving forward?
    I don't know how good Wheel Magus is... I put him in to be cute with Sword of War and Peace.

I'm a big fan of Thought-Knot Seer in the board, but it requires you to board out all your Blood Moons and Magus of the Moons.

My side boarding strategy was as follows:

Shardless
    Out: Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, Scab-Clan Berserker
    In: Trinisphere, Thought-Knot Seer, Phyrexian Revoker

Eldrazi
    Out: Chalice of the Void, Scab-Clan Berserker
    In: Trinisphere, Phyrexian Revoker

Dredge
    Out: Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, Magus of the Wheel, Sword of War and Peace, Scab-Clan Berserker
    In: Everything

I don't believe Blood Moon is bad against Shardless, but it was literally the first opportunity I had to use TKS. I opened with CotV @ 1 followed by TKS, so no regrets I suppose.

Hey guys,

Ran this at the weekly last night.

10 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Seething Song
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Sin Prodder
    3 Stormbreath Dragon
    1 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Board
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Bonfire of the Damned
    2 Anarchy
    2 Shattering Spree
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Cursed Totem

I wish I had a larger sample of games to talk about but I will get there. I like the list. A lot.

Goblin Dark-Dwellers is bad without song which is why I keep it as a one of. I don't ever recall holding one without also having a song in hand.
    I was contemplating having it at 2 because the interaction with Song is so damn strong but even if I can imprint an extra copy, I want to minimize the number of games where I have it and no Song.
    Jitte was put in to even out more song-dwellers-song plays.
    I've resisted Rabblemaster for so long because I had bad experiences with him getting sent to jail by Thalia but he is straight fire.

Sin Prodder definitely needs more testing, however I was impressed due to being able to draw cards when they are low(ish) on life, netting me a few cards.
    Since he's new, some people made misplays though I don't expect this behavior to last unless he continues to remain unplayed (letting me keep a land for example).

I'm liking Menace.

[Last thought] Almost didn't mention Stormbreath but should bring up again that this thing is just a house. A+ 10/10. Such a fast clock and semi-difficult to answer. Makes me cry a little bit for Pit-Dragon.

R1 vs. Storm 2-0
    Unfortunately, I got paired with my buddy and this matchup is very heavily tilted in our favor. Nothing important to mention other than swinging for 14 with Magus of the Moon. 4 turn clock w/ Jitte.

R2 vs. Lands 1-2
    Yup, I lost to lands. I consider this matchup to be absolutely heavily in our favor.
    Game 1 I get early moon and run him over with Rabblemaster in a few turns.
    Game 2 He manages to get Explosives on 3 with Academy ruins and easily assembles Marit Lage before I can kill him.
    Game 3 He keeps a starting hand with basic Forest and Grip. He grips my T1 Moon and I never see another one. I'm under a Wasteland lock with 1 Mountain that he keeps tapped... or rather, I am tapping it to keep my 1 Goblin Token alive. Get him to around 4 before he gets Marit... he removed all of the counters manually. Ouch.

R3 vs. 12 Post
    Game 1 He durdles with maps and doesn't really do much of anything.
    Game 2 T1 Chalice, T2 Song-Dwellers-Song-Stormbreath, T3 bring him to 8 and play a Sin Prodder. He hardcasts Ulamog removing goblin and dragon. Sin Prodder gets in for 3 but then he plays Primetime and I'm only resolving a Magus to block his Ulamog. GG.
    Game 3 Resolve a moon and run him over with Rabblemaster in a few turns.

More elaboration to come as I play the list more.

I was dabbling with a new Hellbent list something like the below to get value w/ Sin Prodder but it's probably too cute. I don't want to diversify my testing too much as to limit gaining proficiency with a certain approach but may try something like this later for fun after my main list above is as close to tuned as possible (i.e. It's possible that I can cut a Prodder and a Rabblemaster for a miser of Fireblast/Pyrokinesis).
    10 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Seething Song
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Sin Prodder
    2 Avaricious Dragon
    1 Stormbreath Dragon
    1 Fireblast
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Pyrokinesis
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Dec 2013
    Barcelona

Hi I'm new in this thread

Last Saturday I played a GP side event aprox. 60 people and ended 3-3 with the following list:

Main:
    10 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Trinisphere
    1 Sword of fire and ice
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    2 Fiery Confluence
    3 Magma Jet
    4 Thunderbreak Regent
    3 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Akroma, Angel of Fury

Sideboard:
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 volcanic fallout
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Sulfuric Vortex
    1 Boil
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    1 Anarchy
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

My 3 wins were against 2 Grixis pyromancer (both 2-0) and Dark depths (2-1)
    My 3 losses were against Death and Taxes, BRG reanimator (griselbrand turn one...) and Agro Loam (turn one: mox diamond + sylvan library, turn 2: 4/4 knight...)

Akroma was the 61st card and was surprisingly easy to cast (koth also helps in flipping with 3 mountains) also allows to bypass cards like iona. All star card was fiery confluence. BG sword is really useful when you equip flamespeaker allowing to use your lands again with the exiled cards, also helps bypass tarmogoyf, gurmag...

I found really difficult remove big threats already in battelfield such as big kotr, gurmag angler or grave titan. Any advice? I thought in aftershock but seems quite slow.

Sorry I don't know how to put links to the cards in my deckist.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
    I found really difficult remove big threats already in battelfield such as big kotr, gurmag angler or grave titan. Any advice? I thought in aftershock but seems quite slow.
    Stingscourger does a fairly good job in removing big creatures, even temporarily. For this reason, I've shifted towards the Goblin shells.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

The flexibility the goblin builds provide give you game against many decks that you would have no business winning against with other builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    The flexibility the goblin builds provide give you game against many decks that you would have no business winning against with other builds.
    For instance? I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on which match-ups in particular are improved. And I guess which get worse.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    For instance? I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on which match-ups in particular are improved. And I guess which get worse.
    I think that Goblins has a better time against BUG/Goyf variants, and vs the new-comer Eldrazi than do the Dragon builds.
    Goblins might be slightly worse against Miracles and StoneBlade variations, however.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I think that Goblins has a better time against BUG/Goyf variants, and vs the new-comer Eldrazi than do the Dragon builds.
    Goblins might be slightly worse against Miracles and StoneBlade variations, however.
    I agree that Abrupt Decay decks have a tougher time against Moggcatcher. Although Toxic Deluge is a blowout and is thankfully a 1-of sideboard card. I've actually found Elves! to be a better matchup when running Goblin Stompy although my sample size is small.

Moggcatcher against Miracles feels stronger to me because of Goblin Settler. If you destroy both basic Plains, they have a tough time winning. And the curve of Goblin Stompy tends to have a lot of 4's and 5's which makes Counterbalance/Top less effective.

I've only played against Eldrazi 3 times, all without Moggcatcher. I think that matchup may be so favorable that it doesn't really matter what turn-1 Blood Moon build you throw at it. If you aggressively look for a Moon, they can only play Phyrexian Revoker, Umezawa's Jitte, Eldrazi Mimic, or Endless One.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I've found it better against Miracles because Moggcatcher and Seige Gang allow you to commit to the board without eating all your threats in your hand to do so.

From years of trying all the different versions, Goblins is better against everything except stoneblade, death and taxes and burn. But it is much worse against those deck because SoFaI or a bunch of burn spells just leave you with no threats where that isn't true with Dragons or the other bigger varieties.

I've been playing 2x "Mom and Dad Chandra" in Moggcatcher with some success. I've also been thinking of moving Trinisphere to the SB and bringing 4 Revoker in the main... thoughts?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    I've also been thinking of moving Trinisphere to the SB and bringing 4 Revoker in the main... thoughts?
    I've been running with all or most of my 3balls in the sideboard for months without regret. Although I do run 3 Scab-Clan Berserkers main deck.

If my memory is correct, your Moggcatcher targets are exclusively Siege-Gang Commanders, right?
    Revokers seem fine! I'm not convinced 4 are necessary though. Are you running equipment too? Which ones?

Oct 2012
    Italy

the goblin build is reallt weak to punishing fire. it really sucks losing your moggcatcher to a shock. overall i prefer it for its versatility

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Another weekly came and went. Went a mediocre 2-2 this week.

Main
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Scab-Clan Berserker
    3 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    3 Thunderbreak Regent
    2 Sword of War and Peace
    1 Sin Prodder
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Magma Jet
    3 Fiery Confluence

Sideboard
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

Changes from last time are:
    -2 Magus of the Wheel
    +1 Thunderbreak Regent
    +1 Sin Prodder

R1: Miracles, 1-2
    R2: Burn, 2-0
    R3: Dredge, 0-2

Game 1 for Miracles we both mulled to 5. I proceeded to win the cripple fight. Game 2 he lead with Top, I lead with Chalice @ 1. He went "land, go". I tried to resolve a TKS but he had Counterspell. Would have won that game if I was on the play. Got mana flooded game 3...

My Burn match-up got better because Thunderbreak Regents are 4/4 and SoWaP gains me back some life. I was fortunate enough to land a Chalice @ 1 both games. Him getting stuck on 1 land in the second game certainly helped.

Game 2 against Dredge I started with Chalice @ 1 and it should have been Chalice @ 0. Oh well. Looks like last time I played Dredge (and won the round), my opponent mulled to 5 both games he lost. That didn't happen this time.

Eldrazi continues to look like an unlosable match-up. Seriously, I just mull to a turn 1 Moon on the play and win. It might as well be a 5 color deck.

Sin Prodder got exiled under Chrome Mox at least once during the night (maybe twice), and got boarded out in a few games. I actually cast it once against Eldrazi. One trigger showed a Blood Moon when I didn't already have one on board. That did 3 damage to my opponent. I missed the other trigger, but it would have been a land and the other card I'd have drawn wouldn't have gotten me out of the hole I was already in that game. Menace was relevant though. Still needs more testing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    the goblin build is reallt weak to punishing fire. it really sucks losing your moggcatcher to a shock. overall i prefer it for its versatility
    It's not weak to punishing fire, in that you are very favored vs punishing fire decks on the back of the lock pieces. Decks like Lands and Jund that play the punishing fire engine tend to fold to the blood moon half of the deck.

Where it is weak is to Molten Vortex, and that might need to be addressed if people move to that route.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Yeah, usually punishing fire decks are weak to blood moon, but we don't always have that turn one moon and, especially against jund, they may strip it turn 1 with thoughtseize, or land a deathrite shaman, or just draw into their basics. In any case, if blood moon doesn't win the game, having say a thunderbreak regent instead of a moggcatcher could be crucial against a deck that plays punishing fire/lightning bolt.

Thread Information