Page 11 of 197 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: Dragon Stompy

What's wrong with the dragon? It's a red artifact creature. So it still pitches to Chrome Mox, if that's what you're thinking. It certainly seems bomby enough for this deck.

I don't see the relevance of Metamorph in a d-stompy shell. What are you copying? Another Trinisphere? Redundant. Another Chalice? I don't think that even works (unless you want a Chalice at zero or you're craving that redundancy against artifact removal/bounce). Extra Moxes? You still have to RFG a card with the Metamorph. A Sword or dragon? Seems win-more. The only legitimate target I see is Lodestone Golem.

Of all the new pieces, I think the red priest might be the most valuable. Priest of Gix over in Demon Stompy is a great tool to get rid of awkward mana from your Tombs, or just to get a creature out under 3sphere.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Imprint - When Chrome Mox enters the battlefield, you may exile a nonartifact, nonland card from your hand.

so no, you can't imprint the Dragon here...

Anyways, I think he is not bomby enough for DS

Phyrexian Metamorph... How about a mainboard solution to Emrakul / Progenitus? Copying that Knight / Tombstalker / other enourmous creature the opponent has? Sounds nice to me for the investment of 3 colorless and 2 life. I REALLY like this card A LOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by ThoSha View Post

This is so effing amazing.. Its just so freaking good. Its the missing peace for dragon stompy i've been searching.

The Red Priest seems nice too, i would give it a shot. Not sure what too cut tough. Slogger will definitly fall to the awesomeness above.
    The dragon seems solid, but hes another artifact creature.. A clear no from my side.

This card is what all stompy decks have been waiting for, a good 3 drop!!! Thank you lord for revoker, now we have this!!! I disagree with the above poster, most of the time you won't be copying your own stuff. You will be copying goyfs, jittes, KOTRs, Emrakul, Progenitus (basically your opponent's BEST creature/artifact). IMO this card is awesome beyond words. I think slogger and seething song would have to give way to this as it's more efficient. Songs are still awesome though (you still need to be as explosive as possible) and I still like SOBAM so probably my 2 sloggers will be recplaced with this dude!

Non-basic lands are Mountains
    Apr 2011

Metamorph is so awesome cause it aims against DS biggest weakness: enemy board position.
    I am not playing Trinisphere anymore and i dont mean copying chalice or mox even though thats also an option.
    You wanna know some bomby targets? Lodestone Golem, Tarmogoyf, KotR, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Progenitus, Revoker, even GRINDSTONE lol,..
    And we can play it in a RED deck.. Almost unbelievable :) For me this guy wins the edition.

For the Priest I totally agree with you.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

...so Sloggers and Songs will become Priests and Metamorphs =P ? *yay*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Non-basic lands are Mountains
    Apr 2011

..turning DS into a high competitive deck? Sounds fair. =P

Thanks for the correction! My mistake was colorless =/ nonartifact.

I can't argue too hard against the Metamorph because I know stompy has been craving a half-decent 3-drop for ages, and colorless at that. From ivanpei's post, it's best use would be as a reactive card. As Progenitus/Emrakul/Jitte insurance I like it a lot, but I believed until recently that dragon stompy needed a linear plan of a. drop disruption, and b. drop bomb. Metamorph looks like it would push the deck towards a more controlling build. You probably dont want to drop it early or right after a 3sphere/Chalice for lack of targets. Stalling the ground with a cloned Goyf or KotR (whose ability you cant even use to keep up with your opponent's) instead of flying over with a big dragon seems subpar to me.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Phyrexian Metamorph copying KotR would be pretty weak in p/t since by copying it, it gets +1/+1 for lands in your graveyard.

But other than that, Metamorph seems like a legit SB card, more useful than Stingscourger and Arena of the Ancients against SnT.

I think the other card that has potential in DS is the red Priest of Gix.

This may be an incentive to finally kick Seething Song out of the deck, as well as Slogger. You keep the color-fixing Seething Song gave, and you keep a creature to equip! I sense this will be a good card for the DS variants pushing for more Equipment and a lower mana curve.

BZK Powertool

Jul 2009
    Glens Falls, NY

I'll be picking up playsets of both the red priest and the metamorph. Testing is obviously going to happen - but it seems like an excellent three drop - I especially like the wording which allows for copying Progenitus. At the very least it should earn some sideboard space. Also hits Iona for those nasty "Iona Naming red" situations which have thankfully decreased drastically
    Will says I'm in BZK. I don't know what is going on.

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Agree that it will be a somewhat reactive card, but considering the other big beater we used to be playing were Taurean Mauler, Sulfur Elemental etc in those slots, this is a huge upgrade. I think with the new priest and this dude, we can turn the deck into a real Equipment stompy deck. Priest + Metamorph gives you 8 GOOD creatures with bodies to equip. Now the question is how many equips? I play 4, but with these new cards, I probably would want 5 now. I'm playing 2 Jitte, 2 SOBAM so what should be the 5th? Or is 4 good enough?

That moltensteel dragon seems pretty busted if it's real!!! I mean 4 mana and a 4 life for a 4/4 flyer is pretty good. The fact that it's playable off 2 sol lands makes it even better. You could use it in conjunction with quick dudes to pretty much kill your opponent outright on T3. Imagine T1, Priest into Magus of the moon. T2 Moltensteel, bash for 4. T3. Bash for 8, Dump 10-14 life into the dragon + use remaining red for pump= 5-7 + 2-3 extra damage + initial 8 from the 3 dudes. Potentially lethal! I love it! Question is how to prioritize the slots remaining? Are Raiders and RPDs cuttable now?

Here's an initial list:

4 Chalice
    4 Moon
    4 Magus
    4 Revoker
    4 SSG
    2 Moltensteel Dragon
    4 RPD
    4 Priest
    4 Metamorph

2 Jitte
    2 SOBAM

4 Chrome
    8 Sol lands
    10 Mountains

I think 4 equips is the right number because we now have + 4 good weenie (Priest). Man that card is good, it's a "free creature" that can help you get to Double red for RPD! The big question now is Metamorph vs Moltensteel Dragon vs Gathan Raiders vs RPD. Personally I am starting to dislike Gathan, he's just too fair! He isn't really very big and pitching a card hurts. IMO RPD is still awesome, wrecks people everytime. Since we now have more 3 drops in Priest, can we cut Gathan Raiders? Gathan was useful for pitching crap accel or fats like slogger if we couldnt cast it, but now that the deck has a much lower curve and less bad lockpieces (trini), there are less and less things you want to pitch. With such a low curve, RPD should have no problems getting hellbent. The CC distribution for the list I posted above is:

2cc: 10 (This includes Chalice)
    3cc: 18
    4cc: 6

And that's it!, looks like a sweet curve to me with everything centered at 3cc and some bombs at 4cc. Moltensteel IMO is a great finisher but bad in multiples, so 2 should be a good number. It ideally should be the last thing you cast after your early threats have bitten the removal. You can fly in, pitch your life, and finish them off. I think the priest is really broken in this deck. It can combo with Metamorph too! T1 Chrome, Priest, Metamorph copying Priest, SOBAM/Magus. That's a pretty aggro opening. Metamorph + Priests could possibly give you a T1 Chain into a bunch of them + a lockpiece/equipment all on T1. It's like affinity with disruption! Ridiculous! Another problem now is the red count. If you went with my list and played No Raiders, you are looking at just 20 Red cards (excluding Moltensteel and Metamorph because they can't pitch to chrome). This is possibly another problem. I would feel most comfortable with 24 red (similar to 24 lands for Mox diamond). I'll test with 20 Red because Ideally I'd like to run the list I posted above.

BTW, what about THIS:

Dismember 1{pb}{pb}
    Instant (U)
    Target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn.

It's a 1cc removal spell that cannot be countered by Challice! It takes down Goyfs, KOTRs and Stalkers!!! Oh man wizards loves this deck.

Apr 2010
    Himalayas

Wow this spoiler is like a much-needed opium shipment for diehard Dragon Stompy addicts. Time will tell if people are just high right now or this stuff is the real deal.

As someone else said I see Metamorph as more of a SB card, or at least doubt his usefulness as a four-of. "Omg, I can pay 3 mana and 2 life for a Goyf, yeah!!" Yeah.. but only when they have a Goyf already. And they only paid 1G for it. And theirs is not be an artifact. And most decks that run Goyf run removal... something DS doesn't. Its best use would be against legendary creatures that previously DS struggled against - Iona, Progenitus, Emrakul etc. Thus SB.

I think Priest is great and definitely better than previous 2R Bears. So long Sulfur/Mauler, its been nice knowing you. Hope the artwork is as good as Gix.

Unsure how to rate Molten Dragon. He's no Rakdos, but 4 toughness is definitely better than 3. Probably competes with Koth in the 2-of slot so I'll leave others to comment here.

No matter what I'm glad the DS faithful were thrown a few more options.
    Only the heroic and the mad follow mountain goat trails.

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I agree, I think a 2-2 split between gathan and the metamorph is fine. Thus bumps up the red count to 22 and multiple metamorphs are not great if there is nothing big to copy. 2 probably is the best idea. My initial excitement of priest into metamorph was short lived because unlike affinity, we don't have master, signal pest, plating or steel overseer to pump.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Agree that it will be a somewhat reactive card, but considering the other big beater we used to be playing were Taurean Mauler, Sulfur Elemental etc in those slots, this is a huge upgrade. I think with the new priest and this dude, we can turn the deck into a real Equipment stompy deck. Priest + Metamorph gives you 8 GOOD creatures with bodies to equip. Now the question is how many equips? I play 4, but with these new cards, I probably would want 5 now. I'm playing 2 Jitte, 2 SOBAM so what should be the 5th? Or is 4 good enough?

That moltensteel dragon seems pretty busted if it's real!!! I mean 4 mana and a 4 life for a 4/4 flyer is pretty good. The fact that it's playable off 2 sol lands makes it even better. You could use it in conjunction with quick dudes to pretty much kill your opponent outright on T3. Imagine T1, Priest into Magus of the moon. T2 Moltensteel, bash for 4. T3. Bash for 8, Dump 10-14 life into the dragon + use remaining red for pump= 5-7 + 2-3 extra damage + initial 8 from the 3 dudes. Potentially lethal! I love it! Question is how to prioritize the slots remaining? Are Raiders and RPDs cuttable now?

Here's an initial list:

4 Chalice
    4 Moon
    4 Magus
    4 Revoker
    4 SSG
    2 Moltensteel Dragon
    4 RPD
    4 Priest
    4 Metamorph

2 Jitte
    2 SOBAM

4 Chrome
    8 Sol lands
    10 Mountains

I think 4 equips is the right number because we now have + 4 good weenie (Priest). Man that card is good, it's a "free creature" that can help you get to Double red for RPD! The big question now is Metamorph vs Moltensteel Dragon vs Gathan Raiders vs RPD. Personally I am starting to dislike Gathan, he's just too fair! He isn't really very big and pitching a card hurts. IMO RPD is still awesome, wrecks people everytime. Since we now have more 3 drops in Priest, can we cut Gathan Raiders? Gathan was useful for pitching crap accel or fats like slogger if we couldnt cast it, but now that the deck has a much lower curve and less bad lockpieces (trini), there are less and less things you want to pitch. With such a low curve, RPD should have no problems getting hellbent. The CC distribution for the list I posted above is:

2cc: 10 (This includes Chalice)
    3cc: 18
    4cc: 6

And that's it!, looks like a sweet curve to me with everything centered at 3cc and some bombs at 4cc. Moltensteel IMO is a great finisher but bad in multiples, so 2 should be a good number. It ideally should be the last thing you cast after your early threats have bitten the removal. You can fly in, pitch your life, and finish them off. I think the priest is really broken in this deck. It can combo with Metamorph too! T1 Chrome, Priest, Metamorph copying Priest, SOBAM/Magus. That's a pretty aggro opening. Metamorph + Priests could possibly give you a T1 Chain into a bunch of them + a lockpiece/equipment all on T1. It's like affinity with disruption! Ridiculous! Another problem now is the red count. If you went with my list and played No Raiders, you are looking at just 20 Red cards (excluding Moltensteel and Metamorph because they can't pitch to chrome). This is possibly another problem. I would feel most comfortable with 24 red (similar to 24 lands for Mox diamond). I'll test with 20 Red because Ideally I'd like to run the list I posted above.

BTW, what about THIS:

Dismember 1{pb}{pb}
    Instant (U)
    Target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn.

It's a 1cc removal spell that cannot be countered by Challice! It takes down Goyfs, KOTRs and Stalkers!!! Oh man wizards loves this deck.
    This looks very nice. What do you guys think of Kargan in a list like this? Also, SoBaM should be SoFaI I assume?

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Kargan seems to have been power creeped by Moltensteel. Moltensteel is just more manaefficient and can potentially kill the turn after it lands. It's RPD 5-6. I still like SOBAM over SOFI in Dstompy. I've argued this plenty of times in this thread. Connecting with a SOFI is VERY difficult because it gives you pro the wrong colours. SOBAM is better in Dstompy because it allows you to swing pass goyf/kotr and get a bear. SOFI has better abilities but SOBAM has better protection colours. SOFI has always been better in decks with some form of evasion like Faerie Stompy and White weenie (serra avenger, flickerwisp and mother of runes).

IMO Moltensteel >> Koth. No fight here. Facing a dude, Moltensteel has a pretty fat ass that can block Kitties, warmonks etc. It's the perfect size. Koth just dies. Koth takes a few turns to get going while Moltensteel means: Drop, can't deal with it? Die next turn!

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

The Priest is definitely going into Dragon Stompy. There's just no way he can't.

The Moltensteel Dragon seems very, very good. I'm not sure I want to dump Slogger for him, though. Slogger's shock on a stick is amazing.

Metamorph? Eh, not really sure. I like him, but, his usefulness is entirely dependent on the opponent's cards. Sideboard material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Now, how can you be sure it's rape when there's no way to tell if a barnacle is consenting or not? For all we know it was actually two first time lesbian barnacles who signed a release for the footage to be used in the newest installment of Barnacles Gone Wild: Seafoam Splash.

What do you think about Art Lands and Mox Opal?

Edit: Is Metamorph really MD quality? What about a list like...

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Preist of Urabask
    4 SSG
    4 Relekos Pit Dragon
    2 Moltensteel Dragon

2 Chrome Mox
    2 Mox Opal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Jitte
    2 Swords
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Geosurge

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Great Furnace
    6 Mountain

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I dunno about slogger, without songs, he's gonna be hard to cast. The Moltensteel seems like a pretty okay replacement. Fits the whole "Suicide theme" very well. So the discussion now is Gathan vs Metamorph. I think a 2-2 split is probably a good idea. Gathan feels pretty weak with the printing of so many new big dudes but is still pretty okay. Metamorph can really break games if he copies a Goyf, Stalker or equipment. Don't forget he can copy your own RPD, Moltensteel, Unmorphed Raiders and also Magus/Revoker. He can latch on to a Priest T1 and continue the priest Chain if you need to "All in" vs a fast deck like combo. 2 seems like a right number just because Metamorph seems so useful. Too many messes your Red count and can potentially be dead if there's nothing on the board.

Opal and Artifact lands are best in decks that are totally artifact based like affinity/painter with plenty of 0,1 and 2 cc artifacts. It could work if we turn this deck heavy artifact but that would mess up your red count and chrome moxes. We also don't run alot of 0-1 cc artifacts. So opal will rarely be online T1 when you need it to be. You also usually want to play an ancient tomb T1 and not the artifact land. IMO opals increase the deck's inconsistency.

Why is no one talking about...l.

Porcelain Legionaire, Phyrexian Metamorph and Moltensteel Dragon are all exactly the kick in the pants this deck needed. Metamorph duplicates your Dragons, Wurmcoils and your opponents Dreadnoughts, Tombstalkers, Progenitus and Emrakuls.

Legionnaire is a fantastic two drop due to the first strike.

Replace the crappier cards with these and this deck is ready to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    Why is no one talking about...l.

Porcelain Legionaire, Phyrexian Metamorph and Moltensteel Dragon are all exactly the kick in the pants this deck needed. Metamorph duplicates your Dragons, Wurmcoils and your opponents Dreadnoughts, Tombstalkers, Progenitus and Emrakuls.

Legionnaire is a fantastic two drop due to the first strike.

Replace the crappier cards with these and this deck is ready to fly.
    Lolz from Affinity

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@ the Legionnaire, a 3-1 first striker for 2 mana is pretty solid. Takes down Merfolk, kitties and other mean things. Possibly a decent SB card, but MD it's hard to find space. I think there's 2 ways to approach this deck, it's either dudes first or disruption first. I prefer disruption first as if you are a dude's first deck, Steel Stompy is simply the better deck to work on. The dudes first deck will definitely want the Legionaire while the disruption first decks would want to drop hate first, then try to overpower the weakened opponent with 3-4 mana bomby creatures/equipment.

In steel stompy, a Cranial plating equipped legionnaire? w00t!

Thread Information