Page 114 of 197 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
    Maybe a better replacement for FTK could be Spitebellows

Easier to cast with evoke and also can kill eldrazis or gurmag anglers. Also for only one mana more ends with the oppenent faster once in field.
    Respectfully disagree. Spitebellows is only card advantage when it dies. FTK is right away. Also - it's 6 mana, which isn't really workable with a Blood Moon (Sarkhan + Thalia taxing is pretty undoable). And 1 toughness is pretty important, too - FTK needs to be double blocked by all the 1/1s, 1/2s in the format (Deathrite, SFM, Elves and rando-tokens).

I think Arc-Slogger might make it into my list. Maybe over Sakhan. It's a close call, though, and warrants playtesting.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Arc Slogger...now there's some sweet nostalgia.

I'd rather play FTK and Pyrokinesis if I except big butts.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    Haha, I don't think Anarchy will be castable (in time) vs a Thalia on board. But I was thinking Pyrokinesis would be AMAZING in the SB. And a lot more flexible.
    Many times it is. Remember, D&T is not an aggro deck, so it can take them a while to set up a kill quite often. Plus, with our mana acceleration, 5 mana can be obtained fairly easily.

Also, I run Pyrokinesis as well for a 3/2 Pyro/Anarchy split.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Played this last night. Went 2-1.

Main
    Mountain 10
    Seething Song 4
    Trinisphere 4
    Chalice of the Void 4
    Blood Moon 4
    Magus of the Moon 4
    Sin Prodder 4
    Goblin Dark-Dwellers 1
    Stormbreath Dragon 3
    Umezawa's Jitte 2
    Goblin Rabblemaster 4
    Ancient Tomb 4
    City of Traitors 4
    Chrome Mox 4
    Simian Spirit Guide 4

Board
    Ratchet Bomb 2
    Anarchy 2
    Phyrexian Revoker 3
    Bonfire of the Damned 3
    Faerie Macabre 2
    Shattering Spree 3

R1 - 2-1 - TES
    R1G1
    Couldn't really figure out what he was on. I was set to get an early win with Rabblemaster but then found out he was on TES.
    R1G2
    I get chalices on 1 and 0. Name LED with Revoker. I can tell that he's tossing spells into my Chalice to get Threshold. I Faerie Macabre some of his grave away and get the win.
    R1G3
    Some combination of Chalice/Thrinisphere.

R2 - 2-1 - Jund
    R2G1
    I get the moon but he finds his Forest and cascades into Liliana. I get beat up by a Goyf and Bloodbraid.
    R2G2
    Get moon again. Get an early Chalice on 1 & 2. Ratchet bomb 2 Goyfs. Get there with a couple of Rabblemasters and Sin Prodder
    Note: I had lethal 1 turn sooner because he didn't let me keep a Seething Song revealed by Prodder.
    R2G3
    Get moon again. Get an early Chalice on 1 & 2. Rabble gets in hard and Stormbreath wraps things up.
    P.S. I made some incredibly boneheaded rules violations this round (i.e. forgetting to attack with Rabblemaster while I controlled 2, trying to use a sol land for 2 with Moon out). Appreciate my opponent for being a good sport while we sorted it out. Hey, even vets brain fart sometimes.

R3 - 1-2 - No Pox Pox
    R3G1
    Pretty sure I only won this game because I Landed a Rabblemaster immediately after he played Liliana after both of our hands were empty.
    Turns out Rabblemaster is a boss vs. her.
    R3G2
    I'm a total moron and I run out a Stormbreath Dragon on turn 1 just to have him Innocent Blood it away.
    R3G3
    Again, I'm not making good decisions... at all. I board out all of my moons and don't bring in my Faerie Macabre.
    He Sinkhole's my only red source after I play a Rabblemaster.
    He gets Nether Spirit (dumped him with Liliana) and a Mishra's Factory. They eventually kill off all of the Rabblemaster tokens.
    He Wastelands one of my Ancient Tombs (no Mountain ever again) and drops Nether Void.
    I eventually tap Anicent Tomb and City of Traitors to play Chrome Mox. Feels bad. He gets a fifth land and Small Poxes Rabblemaster away. GG!

So, I am really enjoying this list. I didn't get the Song -> Dwellers -> Song -> Stormbreath nut draw this week but that's okay and having the possibility is definitely worth it. I didn't write about it but Jitte did give me a faster clock and caused problems in TES' math due to life gain possibility.
    I saw a lot more of Sin Prodder this week (finally!) and he was fantastic. He did extra damage with trigger, gave card advantage when they're like... "uhhhhh, sure", menace was relevant to "get in there", and was good on defense too. He is a lightning rod for removal - which can be considered a plus (less decay for Chalice/Moon, etc). Very excited to keep playing with this card.

Unfortunately, Stormbreath was so good that I lament only running 3. I know that's the correct number, though. I've also never had Rabblemaster perform so well. Stunned. Enjoying the 4 Rabble/Prodder/Magus and 2 Jitte quite a bit with Stormbreaths to close out the game roughly on curve... whatever "curve" means for this deck.

I sorely miss Sword of War and Peace and Prophetic Flamespeaker due to being basically the fastest clock possible and the extra cards. If they print another card that is both a clock and a lock piece at 3CMC, I will certainly brew with them again... assuming that I don't completely fall in love with Sin Prodder (unknown at this point).
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Your list is missing 16 cards. Share your secret tech, bud!
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    Your list is missing 16 cards. Share your secret tech, bud!
    Whoops! Fixed.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

I don't have too many games under my belt with Dragon Stompy, but I've practiced plenty of other decks in Legacy. From what I can see so far for Stompy, Pia and Kiran Nalaar might be the best 4-drop available, and I also like the inclusions of Phyrexian Revoker and equipment like Swords. All those combine in a more resilient threat suite than previous versions I've tried.

If you're interested in my still rather rough list:
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-10...dragon-stompy/

Played this in a local legacy on thursday @prag before gp prag and went 4-0 beating 2 platin pro's...

4x Thunderbreak Regent
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Prophetic Flamespeaker
    4x Sin Prodder
    2x Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    2x Umezawas Jitte
    2x Sword of Fire and Ice
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Sudden Shock
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    10x Mountain

SB:
    3x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Icy Manipulator
    3x Shattering Spree
    2x Pyrokinesis
    3x Trinisphere
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker

r1 - 2-1 - eldrazi - mitchell manders

r2 - 2-1 - eldrazi - igor panigada (also played against him on fri @trials and beat him)

r3 - 2-1 - shardless - lukas blohon

r4 - 2-0 - sultai delver - petr sochurek

actually would not play trinisphere again after like 20 competetive matches with it that weekend...

Pia and Kiran mentioned in back to back posts. Very interesting. Both running equipment.

@AE - Thanks for providing your list. The 1 of Gang looks interesting since it can buff the little guys. Curious to know your feelings on that and Avaricious Dragon.

@Wichtelman - Very cool. How are you liking Sin Prodder? Trinisphere has been very good to me recently. Would you be able to elaborate on your desire to remove it? Just not good in enough matchups?

pia is really strong in matchups like shardless and can kill your opp if you are sitting behind ensnaring bridge or just push normally dead cards into lategame gas...

sin prodder was insane... actually it does not matter if you get the extra card or not... you see more cards = more gas...

i had some matchups for trini but Scab-Clan Berserker would have been stronger in all those games... the problem is it just slows the opp down and puts no clock on the table... on paper it seems good vs lets say elves or storm or burn but in reality they just wait 1-2 turns -> ignore or destroy it and you wasted resources... if they are mana screwed that trini matters you would win anyways...

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Idk, as an avid stompy player, Trini is some decks' worst nightmare. Decks like Storm auto fold to it. I agree that sometimes it merely acts as a speed bump, but I've found that it grants you enough time to get pressure in play because of our mana accelerating lands. I can see both sides of the Trini debate.

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Decks like Storm auto fold to it.
    that is not true but anyways i think it is more of a personal choice which hate you use for specific matchups...
    same story with removal like pyrokinesis vs sudden demise and so on...
    (also depending on your build and support)
    Last edited by Wichtelman; 06-15-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wichtelman View Post
    pia is really strong in matchups like shardless and can kill your opp if you are sitting behind ensnaring bridge or just push normally dead cards into lategame gas...

sin prodder was insane... actually it does not matter if you get the extra card or not... you see more cards = more gas...

i had some matchups for trini but Scab-Clan Berserker would have been stronger in all those games... the problem is it just slows the opp down and puts no clock on the table... on paper it seems good vs lets say elves or storm or burn but in reality they just wait 1-2 turns -> ignore or destroy it and you wasted resources... if they are mana screwed that trini matters you would win anyways...
    Very good. I've been enjoying Prodder too. Glad to see some empirical data to combat the theoretical hate on the card.

I like your comments regarding Trinisphere. I think I'll try Berserker and see how that goes.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Went 4-0 this week which felt good going into EE4 weekend!
    I went back to the Goblin version. The mana curve is higher than I am typically comfortable with, but it runs 2 additional mana sources.

10 Mountain
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Moggcatcher
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Goblin Matron
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

Sideboard:
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Fiery Confluence
    2 Pillage
    3 Sudden Shock

R1 Grixis Delver, 2-0
    Game 2 he started to run away with 2 Pyromancers and cheap spells, but he let me untap a Moggcatcher.
    Sharpshooter destroyed all his hard work.

R2 Colorless Eldrazi, 2-0
    I have yet to lose a round to Eldrazi.

R3 Aggro Loam, 2-0
    Opponent scooped to Blood Moon after only showing me a Tiaga.
    Game 2 I found answers to whatever he tried. Revoker on DRS, Moon on turn 2, Settler targeting basic Forest, Tuktuk Scrapper destroying Mox Diamond.

R4 Miracles, 2-1
    Game 2 I mulled to 5 but still put up a hell of a fight, keeping Revoker, Chalice, Ancient Tomb, Chrome Mox, Mountain, with a Rabblemaster on top of my library. Things were even up until he established Venser/Karakas lock.
    This build felt very strong against Miracles because most of the creatures can threaten a win by themselves. Cavern of Souls was nice to have as my opponent always found an early Counterbalance.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 06-16-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Went 4-0 this week which felt good going into EE4 weekend!
    I went back to the Goblin version. The mana curve is higher than I am typically comfortable with, but it runs 2 additional mana sources.

10 Mountain
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Moggcatcher
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Goblin Matron
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

Sideboard:
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Fiery Confluence
    2 Pillage
    3 Sudden Shock

R1 Grixis Delver, 2-0
    Game 2 he started to run away with 2 Pyromancers and cheap spells, but he let me untap a Moggcatcher.
    Sharpshooter destroyed all his hard work.

R2 Colorless Eldrazi, 2-0
    I have yet to lose a round to Eldrazi.

R3 Aggro Loam, 2-0
    Opponent scooped to Blood Moon after only showing me a Tiaga.
    Game 2 I found answers to whatever he tried. Revoker on DRS, Moon on turn 2, Settler targeting basic Forest, Tuktuk Scrapper destroying Mox Diamond.

R4 Miracles, 2-1
    Game 2 I mulled to 5 but still put up a hell of a fight, keeping Revoker, Chalice, Ancient Tomb, Chrome Mox, Mountain, with a Rabblemaster on top of my library. Things were even up until he established Venser/Karakas lock.
    This build felt very strong against Miracles because most of the creatures can threaten a win by themselves. Cavern of Souls was nice to have as my opponent always found an early Counterbalance.
    The Goblin Version is really strong against miracles. You don't need to overextend into terminus because of the "army in a can" nature of the deck and your normal disruption is very good against them, even if in weird ways. I know I have mentioned it before, but Blood Moon is incredibly good against miracles, specifically as the goblin version. They do not have enough plains to play their deck well with a blood moon out and taking away fetches makes brainstorms and top bad cards. When they can't churn through to find what they need, the deck is surprisingly fragile.

You may want to try Pia and Kiren in the deck. They are expensive, but they are the best card to play against delver decks that isn't just a removal spell.

Wichtelman, I like the look of your deck. I also think additional Scab-Clan Berserker's do have some merit over Trinisphere, but the problem with that creature and all those that cost RR is that sometimes we don't have the sources to cast them. For that reason I wonder if you've tried Instigator Gang. They play well with tokens (and Ensnaring Bridge), and, most importantly, they cost only one red. I'm tempted to take out all my non Kiran 4-drops for them. I suspect the Planeswalkers are better against Miracles, but maybe if I have 4 equipment I'll be strong enough in that matchup.

well trini was certainly not dead for me except if drawn multiples...
    as i said all depends on your meta and how your list can support said cards...

i dont like the gang cuz it seems to be overkill -> really strong if you are already winning...
    my approach is more about -> what happens if you can not lock your opp and the race begins...

not sure yet about the miracles matchup cuz the lists vary a lot... aswell as the impact of bloodmoon or cards like sudden shock + sulfur elemental...
    (miracles is not prepared to handle ALL your creatures if they create value like prodder or flamespeaker)

i have cut the goblin rabblemasters cuz i expected a lot of random blockers and his combo with jitte is not so strong but still think he is really hot...
    also thought about cutting thunderbreak regent but this could be skewed by the matchups i had...

tbh im not happy with my sb and atm try to add some ratchet bombs...

Has anyone thought of building a R/W tomb+city deck with 4 Nahiri and 1 Emrakul? Nahiri is an amazing finisher and control tool and I'm wondering if you can build a prison-esque or stompy-type deck in Legacy with her.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Has anyone thought of building a R/W tomb+city deck with 4 Nahiri and 1 Emrakul? Nahiri is an amazing finisher and control tool and I'm wondering if you can build a prison-esque or stompy-type deck in Legacy with her.
    The idea has legs, but I cannot imagine a list including Nahiri functioning in a manner similar to any version of Blood Moon Stompy...
    Adding any color (or even C) other than red under a Blood Moon is extremely difficult, to the extent that if your win-con is Nahiri/Emrakul, you probably shouldn't play Moons. And if you aren't playing Moons, then you're not playing Blood Moon Stompy. You do still get CotV and Trinisphere as lock pieces, and opens you up to all sorts of sideboarding options, but the primary directive (of landing Blood Moon ASAP) is completely different.

But is rushing Nahiri out with sol-lands and fast mana even good?
    Quickest you can get Nahiri out this way is turn 1 or 2. And doing so guts your hand (which is bad if Nahiri is answered). So the quickest you can ult her is turn 3 or 4. Show and Tell decks can swing with an Emrakul by turn 3/4, and they get protection and invest less resources so recovery is less of a struggle...

And if your turn 1 play is Ensnaring Bridge (which is really the only thing you could play turn 1 to try and protect Nahiri), followed by T2 Nahiri, you'll never get to swing with Emrakul because of the bridge.

How many red cards do you suppose we need to support 4 Chrome Mox? And do you think 4 Chrome is worthwhile?

Thread Information