Page 134 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Yeah, I think I just got unlucky then. I had the chalice/3sphere early, but one ate a FoW and I couldn't draw a red source.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Lost in the top 4 of the GPT to Miracles. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Lost in the top 4 of the GPT to Miracles. Ugh.
    Deck list?

How many rounds did you play?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Did ok today with the deck at a GPT today. Made the top 8. Wanted all my threats to play well with Bridge. Even so, Bridges make the deck more defensive by taking up slots. Tend to think Ensnaring Bridge is the best answer to Nemesis and Tarmogoyf. To my mind that meant I should play four, though I wasn't sure they all belonged in the maindeck. I guess if I'm siding in Bridges I have to side out the Revokers / Trinispheres to keep my red-spell count high enough.

4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    1x Quicksmith Rebel
    4x Chandra, Torch of Defiance

2x Fiery Confluence
    1x Rolling Earthquake
    1x Ensnaring Bridge

4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Trinisphere
    4x Blood Moon

4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Chrome Mox
    1x Lotus Petal
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    11x Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    2x Boil
    3x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Faerie Macabre
    2x Pyrokinesis
    4x Sulfur Elemental
    1x Trinisphere

Is racing the Tarmo / Angler / Nemesis crowd the better option with aggressive threats followed up by Fiery Confluence? As opposed to the Ensnaring Bridge strategy.

Greetings.

The weekend my LGS had a GPT for Las Vegas. We had 38 participants. 6 rounds of swiss, cut to top 8. I top 4'd this event. I went 4-1-1 in the swiss (rd 1 loss, rds 2-5 win, I.D. rd 6.) I played the following list:

3 Thunderbreak Regent
    4 Sin Prodder
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Fiery Confluence
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Chrome Mox

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    12 Mountain

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Sudden Shock
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Null Rod

Last week, and the week before that, there was a lot of Reanimator, DnT, and Delver in the weekly Monday night events. As such, I went into this event with EXTREMELY low expectations. I honestly thought this would be a waste of time and money, but this weekend the room was FILLED WITH LEOVOLDS (which I was very excited to face all day.)

Rd 1: Royce - BUG ANT loss 1-2
    G1 All I see from opp is Git Probe, Swamp, Therapy (takes 3ball), delta for USea, then opp died. As such, there were too many possible decks, and I sideboarded incorrectly for g2.
    G2, he comboed out after casting turn 1 therapy, again taking trinisphere, turn 2 abrupt decay killing rabblemaster.
    G3, I had t0 leyline, t1 chalice on 0 (to stop early petal/led shenanigans,) turn 3 i drew a null rod, so i deployed that as well. He does some shenanigans involving decaying the rod, chaining the chalice, then combing off. Apparently he had all the rituals in his hand.

Rd 2: Sam - Jund win 2-0
    G1 opp didn't really have much. He fetched a few lands, abrupt decayed my sin prodder after it hit him, and punishing fire'd me once under a blood moon.
    G2, he fetched a bayou, got locked under moon. He throws a bolt at me, then thunderbreak plus rabblemaster seal the game.

Rd 3: Andy - Leovold.deck win 2-0
    I had the advantage of watching this opponent go to time at the end of the previous round, so I knew he was playing Leovold control.
    G1 is pretty much FoW my t1 threat, fetch, brainstorm, fetch again, land a TNN, and we race. In the end, Sin Prodder and Thunderbreak Regent beat TNN plus Baleful Strix.
    G2 he Thoughtseizes Magus of the Moon turn 1. He Snapcasters the Thoughtseize turn 3 and gets my Blood Moon. I have 3 hits from his snapcaster before sin prodder value overwhelms him. I land too many threats and race his life total before he can do anything meaningful. I drew 0 additional moon effects, but his cantrips did nothing under a trinisphere.

Rd 4: Harrison - BUG ANT win 1-2
    G1 opponent combo'd out turn 2. Whatever.
    G2, Leyline, Trinisphere, Null Rod, Rabblemaster. Opp dies while digging for removal.
    G3, Leyline, Chalice on 1, Blood Moon. Opponent resolved git probe, 2 fetches, and ... dies to creatures.

Rd 5: Brook - Tezzerator / Thopter Foundry win 2-0
    G1, opp plays Ancient Tomb, Talisman of Dominance. I play Mountain, Chrome Mox x2, Magus. Opp plays a second Ancient Tomb, second Talisman, Thopter Foundry. I play land, Fiery Confluence, killing his 3x artifacts. He never gets board presence. Giggles and random "blowout" comments from the people watching our match (we were at table 2, and table 1 split, so we had the spectators.)
    G2 opponent plays fetch, gets basic island. I land a Blood Moon. He plays second Island. I start hitting him with Sin Prodder. He resolves JTMS, bounces Thunderbreak, I kill JTMS with the trigger. He dies with basic Islands, fetches he can't crack, and a hand full of black cards.

Rd 6: Sam (Roukas!) - Intentional Draw

Top8: I was 6th seed
    Virgil (3 seed) - Grixis Delver win 2-0
    G1 opp Git Probes me, sees 3ball, Chalice, B Moon, and lands. He pitches TNN to FoW my t1 3ball. He lands a Delvr, I land. Sin Prodder. He lands. Pyromancer, I land a Fiery Confluence, killing Pyro. Sin Prodder races Delver and I win with 4 life.
    G2, we trade some removal. I kill a DRS with a Confluence, he kills my Rabble with a Bolt. He lands a 2nd DRS, I land a 3ball and a Rabble. He has to use his DRS to stay alive and for mana, while I have 7 mana and 2 Thunderbreak Regents on the table

Top4:
    Adam (7 seed) - Loss to W/U RIP/Energy Field/Helm Combo.
    G1: I had a decent start, but I literally could not stop his Energy Field / RIP combo once it hit the table.
    G2: I had zero sideboard cards against him, but I shuffled in 15 cards and pulled out 15 cards anyway. I play Chalice @ 2, he counters it. He hits RIP, but nothing for the next few turns. I try another Chalice @2, he counters that as well. Next turn, he drops Energy Field. Again, I cannot win, and I have a Sin Prodder in play, so even if he does NOTHING all game, I deck out first.

In the end, the top 4 match would have come down to 2 sideboard slots that I changed literally last minute. I could have put Anarchy and/or Ratchet Bomb in those 2 flex slots, but I ended up putting the 3rd Sulfur Elemental and the 3rd Sudden Shock, because of my read on the Monday night meta for the past few weeks. A LOT of DnT in the room over the past month, and apparently people have realized the correct number to call for Sanctum Prelate is four, which means all my removal is dead except for sideboarded sudden shocks. Ratchet Bomb is too slow against that, because they can flickerwisp it, or relic-warder it. Sudden Shock seemed like a better sideboard card based on what I thought I was going to see in the room. Apparently the meta was just about "flavor of the month" decks, as there were more Leovolds than basic Plains in the decks for this event.
    Last edited by AceOfJacks; 03-28-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Fixing Typos

I played a small tournament (17 participants) with the dragons yesterday. It was horrible.
    R1 Bye
    R2 Miracles 0-2
    G1 T1 he forces my Moon. T2 Rabblemaster gets terminussed after 2 attacks. T5 Chandra dies to Monks and so do I. G2 I land a T1 Moon and it slows him down, but I see only lands and die to a duo of Mages.
    R3 Sneak & Show 1-2
    T1 Show & tell from him and he drops Omni, I drop Trini. I slow him down, but I can't find a 4th land and die to a sneaked Emmie & Grizz. G2 T1 trini followed by T2 Rabblemaster and that was enough. G3 T1 Show onto Emmie.
    R4 Bant 1-2
    G1 he goes T1 Noble off a Tropical and my T1 Moon slows him down, but I can't find a Confluence or beatstick and die to Goyf + Jitte. G2 T1 moon and that was enough. G3 again T1 Noble, T2 Goyf, T3 Jitte against my Moon and flooded manabase.
    I lost every dieroll and my opponents had all the right answers. I guess that happens sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    How does this deck beat Infect? Seems miserable. Just got steamrolled by it in a GPT.
    Their nut draw doesn't beat our nut draw. We got moons and chalice and 3 ball turn one. Their nutdraw involves turn zero force our lock piece turn one threat we can't immediately deal with, turn two alpha ftw. All we have to do is land at least one lock piece before the end of turn two and maintain pressure. I've also won by going t1 rabblemaster t2 rabblemaster. Try to get the player to think they need to play the control in the match. Either we lose out of the blue, and that happens, or we apply pressure every turn til they run out of gas. Their deck is relatively threat light
    well depends if you or they are on the play and which list you play... if they are on the play most lists cant do anything about their nuts... if you run sudden shock md + pyrokinesis sb that matchup is a joke...

Loss to W/U RIP/Energy Field/Helm Combo - I literally could not stop his Energy Field / RIP combo once it hit the table.
    one more reason to add ratchet bomb to a sb that can deal with a lot of problems...
    Last edited by Wichtelman; 03-27-2017 at 06:10 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

We still know nothing about what 'exert' could be, but this dragon and it's ability isn't nothing.
    Haste is huge and repeatable removal is always welcome.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    We still know nothing about what 'exert' could be.
    Okay, 'Exert': You make the decision whether to exert a creature as you declare it as an attacker. If you choose to have it exert, an ability will trigger and grant you some bonus. As a trade-off, the creature won't untap during your next turn. It's tired. Needs a nap.

Certainly neuters the card, but may not completely invalidate it...

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    Deck list?

How many rounds did you play?

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Sin Prodder
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Thunderbreak Regent
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Fiery Confluence
    1 Rolling Earthquake
    3 Chrome Mox (couldn't find a 4th)
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    11 Mountain

4 Sudden Shock
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Pyrokinesis
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Ensnaring Bridge

R1 - Bye (1-0)
    R2 - Infect (0-2, 1-1)
    R3 - High Tide (2-0, 2-1)
    R4 - D&T (2-1, 3-1)
    R5 - ID (3-1-1)
    Top 4 - Miracles (0-2)

Thunderbreak Regent seemed meh all day long. Never got to cast Rolling Earthquake. Sin Prodder was awesome. Fiery Confluence was insane vs D&T. As for the board, never got to cast Pyrokinesis, so I can't really comment.

How are the Ensnaring Bridge in the sideboard? I've begun to test without them. Racing Tarmogoyf is a near thing. It's hard to keep Chandra alive without Bridge (and her parents for chump blocks). So, I'm looking at siding out Chandra against decks with huge threats. Not sure if that's good or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AEMarling View Post
    How are the Ensnaring Bridge in the sideboard? I've begun to test without them. Racing Tarmogoyf is a near thing. It's hard to keep Chandra alive without Bridge (and her parents for chump blocks). So, I'm looking at siding out Chandra against decks with huge threats. Not sure if that's good or not.
    You shouldn't ever need to board out Chandra if you can help it. Remember that if they are attacking Chandra, they aren't attacking you. As a result, you can continue the race.

Re: Bridge and Chandra:
    Chandra becomes your main win condition once you stick a Bridge. If you plan on bringing in Bridge, I would cut your bigger threats, such as Thunderbreak. The odds of you attacking with a 4 power creature and then still keeping Chandra alive with a Bridge seem incredibly low.

Unrelated:
    I played in my Monday weekly at the same store yesterday. I fully expected my "curse" to be in full effect. Every time I do well in an event, I usually end up bombing for 4-6 weeks average after that. It didn't happen this time, but I expect it will kick in on Thursday, when I play my crappy Modern deck.

List:
    3 Thunderbreak Regent
    4 Sin Prodder
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Fiery Confluence
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Chrome Mox

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    12 Mountain

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Sudden Shock
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Null Rod

Rd 1: George K - DnT - loss 0-2
    G1: He is at ONE life, but ends up gaining a boatload of life via a freshly ripped Batterskull. I draw ... Trinisphere x 2, land x 2. He lands Sanctum Prelate, says the number 4, and I no longer have a way to kill his Batterskull. I concede.
    G2: After sideboarding in Sudden Shocks, Sulfur Elementals, and Null Rods, I get him down to 4 life. Somehow, he manages to find all of his Swords and all of his Stoneforges, before I can find a single artifact killer. I managed to Sulfur away his 1 toughness creatures, but Serra Avenger with a SoFI kills me before I can deal with his sword. Also, the Sanctum Prelate thing happened again.

Rd 2: Raphael - Eldrazi Stompy - win 2-0
    G1: Magus of the Moon. He plays Matter Reshaper, but we BOTH do not realize that he couldn't actually cast it (we were discussing other matters since we are good friends, and didn't think about the matchup.) He gets in one swing before I land a Sin Prodder and a Thunderbreak Regent. HE cannot cast anything and concedes.
    G2: I cast a Blood Moon, but he has a Mimic and an Endless One (2/2) on the table. I eventually find a creature and he is forced to hold back his attacks. I win at 12 life, but Sin Prodder delivers a victory yet again.

Rd 3: George B - Manaless Dredge win 2-1
    G1: I cast Chalice @ 1, he discards Phantasmagorian. I lament and moan and complain loudly. I proceed to attempt to race him. I get him to 3 before his dredges actually work and he overwhelms me with Zombie tokens.
    G2: Leyline turn 0, Trinisphere turn 2. He cannot cast any removal spells, he concedes before I can attack with any creatures.
    G3: Leyline turn 0, but no pressure after that. I ended up sideboarding in Null Rod because I was not sure if he had an alternate transformative sideboard, such as Belcher or anything cute. He Sickening Shoals some creatures, Soul Spikes a couple more, but he cannot find removal for the Leyline and eventually dies.

Rd 4: Split with opponent, but decided we would play for the "free" pack anyway
    G1, opponent plays Plains, Aether Vial, pass. DnT, NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo...... SOMEHOW I manage to win, due to him having relatively bad draws. Sin Prodder was the VIP of this game, until it got StP'd with my opp at 2 life.
    G2: Sulfur Elemental, Sin Prodder, and a well timed Fiery Confluence save my ass. He went up to 18 with that Batterskull, but the Confluence wrecks him, and he cannot deal with the pressure on the table fast enough. NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS DEATH AND TAXES PLAYERS. *insert curse word here*

Actual 3-1, official 2-1-1.
    Afterthoughts:
    1- I need to find another way to deal with problematic DnT things that cost less than 4 mana. Sudden Shock is nice to have in the board, but Sanctum Prelate on 4 is insanely good against this version of the deck.
    2- I might try 19 lands and a 2nd Koth? Or maybe a Stormbreath? Every time I play 19 lands I end up hitting the variance curse, and either draw 2 lands or 7 ...

Has anyone tried to get a hold of Jiri Tuma and get his Rakdos Dragon Stompy list from him? I've curious what his list looks like.

Took some notes, and over 27 turns with Sin Prodder, it did an average of 4.8 damage per turn. For this calculation, I converted cards the opponent was forced to let me draw due to their low life total into damage tallies. I didn't count cards they let me draw because they were redundant lockpieces.

I may have run a bit hot with the Prodder, but it does at least 4.5 damage average per turn, thanks in part to its evasion and a format with fewer creatures. That said, I found I was siding them out against Miracles in favor of Scab-Clan Berserker. Do you find yourself siding them out against Miracles?

The reason I'm mulling over the Prodder is because it seems quite bad combined with Ensnaring Bridge. Not sure if I should only play one or the other.

I originally thought it was a bad idea to use Bridge and Pridder at the same time, but I actually think it's not bad at all. Mostly because you can kill your own Sin Prodder by landing Bridge, getting 2 cards from Prodder, attacking into an obviously bad combat, and then doing stupid things like Fiery Confluence or pkaying multiple Chalices for 0.

That's all a worst case scenario though. I keep the Prodder in the deck primarily to dig through the deck a little. The absolute worst case is you rip multiple lands and you cannot play them all, thus your opponent can attack through a Bridge. Best case is you find the Bridge and you beat your opponent with a Menacing dude that burns them every (other) turn.

You also have to considet what you're siding out when you side in bridges. You should be siding out higher cmc things, so the cards you draw are lock pieces, removal spells, or just plain lands. Your threat base becomes the Sin Prodder and the planeswalkers of choice. I guess it is possible that you can flip multiple Chandras and then you have to get creative with dropping your entire hand ...

Quote Originally Posted by AEMarling View Post
    The reason I'm mulling over the Prodder is because it seems quite bad combined with Ensnaring Bridge. Not sure if I should only play one or the other.
    Sin Prodder is a source of damage under Bridge consistently. You shouldn't need to board them out. Rabblemaster is usually a better choice.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Against Lands, Reanimator, and Show and Tell you can keep in both Sin Prodder and Ensnaring Bridge without a second thought. Against mid-range decks where the possibility of drawing multiple lands you cannot completely ditch occurs, I'd side out Prodders but keep in Rabblemaster.

Rabble under a bridge in a draw-go scenario with your opponent lets you build up a critical mass of goblin tokens until you represent lethal even with their blockers.

Deck is trending upwards as far as legacy meta goes. http://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=78&meta=39&f=LE

Thread Information