Page 146 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    So what are you doing the other 60% of the time when you don't fan open a Chalice of the Void?
    Trinisphere, Leyline, Chalice, are all good, I can usually mulligan to one or more of these cards effectively. I have a decent record against BR with this strategy. Bridge is also very strong against every threat except griselbrand.

What are you doing when you land turn 1 relic, pass with no mana to activate, and they go ritual unmask/thoughtseize entomb reanimate? Because even with tomb you can't keep the mana in your pool, you'd need at meast mountain relic chrome mox/guide on your opener to stop their turn 1 play

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Is chalice good against Br reanimator? I've played against the deck one time in the last 3 tournaments (13 rounds total) and see it's usefulness. However I'd be hard pressed go say that mulling to chalice is a decent line of play. Anyone with exp in this match?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

It's really a reaction to BR reanimator's popularity over traditional reanimator. An uncounterable effect that lands turn 0 is immune to thoughtseize and unmask, which hit faerie macabre easily. If traditional reanimator comes back in force I would switch to different grave hate.

I could never justify running relic in a deck with chalice, especially in matchup where our turn one play should always be chalice on 1 if possible.
    if you use that logic what do you think about discard your creatures and reanimate them and 4x reverent silence or 4x wear/tear + hardcast creatures out of the reanimator sb...
    (you might kp a hand without pressure or lands just cuz of leyline)

if they have thoughtsize or unmask for faerie or something similiar = they can not discard their creatures with it = more time to get a trini or chalice or bridge into play...

Is chalice good against Br reanimator? I've played against the deck one time in the last 3 tournaments (13 rounds total) and see it's usefulness. However I'd be hard pressed go say that mulling to chalice is a decent line of play. Anyone with exp in this match?
    how do you mull with your deck?

Bridge is also very strong against every threat except griselbrand.
    add tidespout tyrant and ashen riders to that list...

that is not directly pointed at you but guys dont confuse good/bad reanimator draws or players with whats actually good - great - bad vs them...

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

I try not to mull aggressively. Old habits die hard, I presume. I just don't have enough experience in the match to decide what's the good line of play. I am fully aware of what that deck does, And in the end I think I could make good sideboard decisions

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Wichtelman View Post
    i think leyline and koth are crap cuz of various reasons but thats just me...
    Instead of the Leyline I would rather play sme Faerie Macabres and a Tormod's Crypt. As for Koth since Mircles is no longer around he is just getting killed. Sure his Ultimate wins the game, but you never get there if you just play him. I agree there are better threats behind a bridge.
    Chalice on 1

if you use that logic what do you think about discard your creatures and reanimate them and 4x reverent silence or 4x wear/tear + hardcast creatures out of the reanimator sb...
    (you might kp a hand without pressure or lands just cuz of leyline)

if they have thoughtsize or unmask for faerie or something similiar = they can not discard their creatures with it = more time to get a trini or chalice or bridge into play...

add tidespout tyrant and ashen riders to that list.
    Yeah I should've been more specific with bridge in that it's really stronger when supported by other cards that make it more difficult to deal with.

If I ran more hate for this match up on top of leyline it would be macabre, out of all the thoughtseize-able hate it's the best, ignores chancellor, playable on their first turn. It is a very strong card. I only devote 4 slots to this matchup specifically though and I chose leyline because it fits all the same criteria without being vulnerable to their discard. If I was facing this deck more I'd run 4x leyline 3x macabre.

Their deck is designed to either go off turn 1 or use chancellor to time walk the opponent and go off turn 2 while stripping any reactive hate. We have to use equally unfair hate to combat this. I consider leyline the strongest card, followed by macabre, followed by crypt as it can be cast off a mountain turn 1 through chancellor (played painter for 3 years and ran crypt as that deck can't support leyline for various reasons)

On Koth, he's the most recent addition to my deck. He has actually won two games for me, but that is a meaningless sample size. I need to test him more for sure. I have a soft spot for that card after running it in painter SB for years so I'm probably biased.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Funny how many painters have picked this deck up. I just wish I could play chalice and grindstone in the same deck 😐

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/659904#paper

got the updated list to a 5-0

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/659904#paper

got the updated list to a 5-0
    Dat Icy...😎

Dat Icy...
    just watch your opps face if you play paper magic...

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Indeed, well worth the clunkiness

Dragon stompy took third at Hareruya mtg paper swiss today.

11x mountain
    4x tomb
    4x city

4x magus
    4x rabblemaster
    3x hazoret
    4x simian
    1x quicksmith

4x confluence
    4x chalice
    4x chrome mox
    4x bridge
    4x chandra, tod
    1x koth

Sb

4x leyline of the void
    3x sulfur elemental
    3x volcanic fallout
    2x quicksmith
    2x jokulhaups
    1x slice and dice

Standouts to me are the 21 lands, no trinispheres, and some interesting choices of red board wipes in the sideboard

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfrosting View Post
    Dragon stompy took third at Hareruya mtg paper swiss today.

11x mountain
    4x tomb
    4x city

4x magus
    4x rabblemaster
    3x hazoret
    4x simian
    1x quicksmith

4x confluence
    4x chalice
    4x chrome mox
    4x bridge
    4x chandra, tod
    1x koth

Sb

4x leyline of the void
    3x sulfur elemental
    3x volcanic fallout
    2x quicksmith
    2x jokulhaups
    1x slice and dice

Standouts to me are the 21 lands, no trinispheres, and some interesting choices of red board wipes in the sideboard
    Koth, Hazoret and Quicksmith Rebel were also played in this decklist that went 5-0 twice the other week.

Planeswalker (5)
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1 Koth of the Hammer

Creature (14)
    1 Hazoret the Fervent
    4 Magus of the Moon
    1 Quicksmith Rebel
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Sin Prodder

Sorcery (4)
    4 Fiery Confluence

Artifact (15)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere

Enchantment (4)
    4 Blood Moon

Land (18)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Ashen Rider
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Sudden Shock
    4 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Volcanic Fallout

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    Koth, Hazoret and Quicksmith Rebel were also played in this decklist that went 5-0 twice the other week.

Planeswalker (5)
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1 Koth of the Hammer

Creature (14)
    1 Hazoret the Fervent
    4 Magus of the Moon
    1 Quicksmith Rebel
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Sin Prodder

Sorcery (4)
    4 Fiery Confluence

Artifact (15)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere

Enchantment (4)
    4 Blood Moon

Land (18)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Ashen Rider
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Sudden Shock
    4 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Volcanic Fallout
    A list placed 2nd or 1st I believe in the Quest for Power tourney today. I missed the last round on stream. I saw it in the semis though, beating down with dragons and magma jets.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Dragon stompy (with proper Dragons) won the Fire and Dice Legacy event. It had 6 rounds; beating Burn in the Semi's and Grixis Delver in the finals.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

EDIT: I am an idiot. Fire and Dice...not fire and ice haha. Sorry.

Thanks for the correction - I don't know how I ended up watching that as I thought I had clicked on the Quest for Power link. Odd.

Was this on twitch? I can't figure out where I saw this. I was taking quick peaks while I was commuting this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Dragon stompy (with proper Dragons) won the Fire and Dice Legacy event. It had 6 rounds; beating Burn in the Semi's and Grixis Delver in the finals.

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

I'm curious as to why there's 3-4 Sulfur Elementals in the sideboards recently. Is the D&T matchup that bad that you'd need Sulfur Elementals? It seems to me that cards like Fiery Confluence and Volcanic Fallout or even Sudden Shock is enough to deal with D&T. Am I missing on some other use of Sulfur Elementals?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by nimkee View Post
    Thanks for the correction - I don't know how I ended up watching that as I thought I had clicked on the Quest for Power link. Odd.

Was this on twitch? I can't figure out where I saw this. I was taking quick peaks while I was commuting this morning.
    The Snapcaster's stream was hosting the Fire and Dice stream after the top 4 of the Quest for Power tournament.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post
    I'm curious as to why there's 3-4 Sulfur Elementals in the sideboards recently. Is the D&T matchup that bad that you'd need Sulfur Elementals? It seems to me that cards like Fiery Confluence and Volcanic Fallout or even Sudden Shock is enough to deal with D&T. Am I missing on some other use of Sulfur Elementals?
    Well, they do come in against super counterspell heavy matchups, or just matchups where anything is better than the worst lockpeice (Moon vs Burn for example) but mostly they are there for D&T. The other cards are all good vs D&T but even with all of them and Sulfur Elementals, the matchup is still pretty bad.

Everything they do is a hassle. Their curve is spread so turn 1 chalice is only ok. They have Vial to get around chalice and moon if they get it down early. They have tons of basics to beat moon. They have mana disruption to stop big mana plays. They have stoneforge with maindeck SoFaI. Mom is a problem. They have evasive threats and tons of first strike.

It's just a never ending series of things that are hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    Well, they do come in against super counterspell heavy matchups, or just matchups where anything is better than the worst lockpeice (Moon vs Burn for example) but mostly they are there for D&T. The other cards are all good vs D&T but even with all of them and Sulfur Elementals, the matchup is still pretty bad.

Everything they do is a hassle. Their curve is spread so turn 1 chalice is only ok. They have Vial to get around chalice and moon if they get it down early. They have tons of basics to beat moon. They have mana disruption to stop big mana plays. They have stoneforge with maindeck SoFaI. Mom is a problem. They have evasive threats and tons of first strike.

It's just a never ending series of things that are hard to beat.
    I feel like between confluence, bridge, moon to turn off mana denial, and sideboard cards we have a lot of answers, but they have to come at just the right time. If they equip a sofai and we don't have a confluence that turn we just lose, or if they get mom thalia down early with ports up and we don't have moon + sudden shock we lose. They are a lot more proactive and we have to play the control role without any good selection, we just have to hope to have the answers.

One plus is they don't have countermagic, so our heavy hitters like confluence are really, really good. I wonder if playing something like jakulhaups like that one list from hareruya is correct.

Bridge in multiples is also insanely good. I've locked them out for 10+ turns while I dig for answers.

Thread Information