Page 148 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    Princess, I like your list but I'd want some number of crucible of worlds to recur lands for smokestack...
    I tried 1-3 of them and even with wasteland. It's honestly not necessary with Rabblemaster and the card draw from Avaricious Dragon/Chandra. The deck only plays permenants so I usually am far ahead in that regard and am playing between two and three a turn with the aforementioned cards. Any number of rabblemaster with a bridge out provides a huge outlet for token generation. Crucible was consistently a bummer to draw and the opponent always fetches basics after they see blood moon decreasing the value of wasteland dramatically in g2/3. Overall the power level just wasn't there in this set up.

I am thinking about possibly adding Trash for Treasure in the board. The Jitte is from an older list and probably doesn't belong in there either.

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    I got ya. Only experience can teach the discipline needed to best guide decision making regarding keepable hands. I agree with your logic that we keep hands with accel+lock-or-threat, all the while playing towards some kind of end game. As long time painter, I've kept my share of one landers but had to drop that habit with this deck as an example

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I used to do the same with one landers and quit too, lol. I also never look at my top card after choosing to mulligan. I also consider Smokestack to be a threat and not a lock piece just incase there was any question about it.

I also agree that practice is the only way to get comfortable with a new setup. This one has a lot of complecated lines in the first three turns like most legacy decks. By turn seven you are usually either dead or on easy mode. Plus, as usual, no shuffling constantly.

If anyone is looking for an answer to unexpected miracles/grixis control/ux control/ur delver, I've been running 3 copies of boil in the sideboard and it can absolutely blow them out. Also better than moon effects against sneak and show, although it's pretty narrow in that matchup, then again so is moon and we don't have much to side in against them anyway. It's often just good in matchups were magus isn't great so it's an easy swap. This was common tech against miracles pre-top ban but from testing it's often equally good against the newer control decks that run 5+ basics.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Princessforfun View Post
    I also never look at my top card after choosing to mulligan.

How do you rationalize this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

How do you rationalize this?
    You shouldn't look at the top card(s).

If you mulligan a land heavy hand, then look at the top 5 cards and see you would have hit 5 running spells, should you have kept it?

If you mulligan the same land heavy hand, and then peek at the top 5 only to see 5 more lands, should you have kept it?

Of course you should have mulliganed. Your top cards make no difference because they are completely random.

Looking only makes you keep a 6 land hand because you saw the top few cards a couple times, and they were always spells, and you get it in your head that it's ok to keep that hand because you fooled yourself into being certain of the uncertain.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Thanks! I misunderstood.

I thought Pff was opting not to scry after deciding to keep a hand.
    My bad!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post

If you mulligan a land heavy hand, then look at the top 5 cards and see you would have hit 5 running spells, should you have kept it?

If you mulligan the same land heavy hand, and then peek at the top 5 only to see 5 more lands, should you have kept it?

Of course you should have mulliganed. Your top cards make no difference because they are completely random.

Looking only makes you keep a 6 land hand because you saw the top few cards a couple times, and they were always spells, and you get it in your head that it's ok to keep that hand because you fooled yourself into being certain of the uncertain.
    You should always look at the top card when you mulligan. You shouldn't base your future decisions on it. There's clear cut example as to why you should: Vancouver Mulligan / scry.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

I tried 1-3 of them and even with wasteland. It's honestly not necessary with Rabblemaster and the card draw from Avaricious Dragon/Chandra. The deck only plays permenants so I usually am far ahead in that regard and am playing between two and three a turn with the aforementioned cards. Any number of rabblemaster with a bridge out provides a huge outlet for token generation. Crucible was consistently a bummer to draw and the opponent always fetches basics after they see blood moon decreasing the value of wasteland dramatically in g2/3. Overall the power level just wasn't there in this set up.
    that's really solid reasoning. i'm gonna have to make your list exactly as is and play it. thanx...

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post

I don't think I could have said it better. You always take your scry. I mean it's free...

I'm also not trying to start a shit storm after a few misunderstandings.

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    that's really solid reasoning. i'm gonna have to make your list exactly as is and play it. thanx...
    Someone suggested siege-gang commander and it think that is worth trying for sure. If you do play this list out I would be really happy to hear how you felt about it.

Someone suggested siege-gang commander and it think that is worth trying for sure. If you do play this list out I would be really happy to hear how you felt about it.
    I played your list tonight with a different sideboard. The main-deck I swapped 1 mountain for 1 gemstone caverns, and I cut another mountain to make it 60 cards MB. The sideboard i ran 2 Pyrokinesis, 2 Fiery Confluence, 1 Volcanic Fallout, 2 Pithing Needle, 4 Trinisphere, 1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar, 1 Quicksmith Rebel, 2 Boil. I went 3-1 beating Jund, Eldrazi, Storm and losing to Elves.

For the future, I'll likely try this sideboard:

4 Trinisphere
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Fiery Confluence
    1 Volcanic Fallout
    1 Confusion in the Ranks
    1 Stranglehold

The Stranglehold will help against Elves, disabling their ability to search for rec sag. It's probably also good in other matches, as it completely turns of fetchlands if they aren't mountains. Confusion in the Ranks is for Show N Tell.

Also, curiously, this deck just won a fairly large Modern event. It's very similar to the legacy version of the deck: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/668641

The Stranglehold will help against Elves, disabling their ability to search for rec sag. It's probably also good in other matches, as it completely turns of fetchlands if they aren't mountains.
    if thats your concern play cage or more mass removal... strangehold is just ok t1-2 and after that most of the time dead...

Quote Originally Posted by Wichtelman View Post
    if thats your concern play cage or more mass removal... strangehold is just ok t1-2 and after that most of the time dead...
    While true, stranglehold isn't hit by the commonly played Abrupt Decay in many Elves lists. Their only answer is to hit that Rec Sage. But you may be right, I'll try both out. Thanks for the feedback :)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgripper View Post
    I played your list tonight with a different sideboard. The main-deck I swapped 1 mountain for 1 gemstone caverns, and I cut another mountain to make it 60 cards MB. The sideboard i ran 2 Pyrokinesis, 2 Fiery Confluence, 1 Volcanic Fallout, 2 Pithing Needle, 4 Trinisphere, 1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar, 1 Quicksmith Rebel, 2 Boil. I went 3-1 beating Jund, Eldrazi, Storm and losing to Elves.

For the future, I'll likely try this sideboard:

4 Trinisphere
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Fiery Confluence
    1 Volcanic Fallout
    1 Confusion in the Ranks
    1 Stranglehold

The Stranglehold will help against Elves, disabling their ability to search for rec sag. It's probably also good in other matches, as it completely turns of fetchlands if they aren't mountains. Confusion in the Ranks is for Show N Tell.

Also, curiously, this deck just won a fairly large Modern event. It's very similar to the legacy version of the deck: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/668641
    I've debated running stranglehold but the fact that it does nothing else for its mana cost is the reason I decided to stick to torpor orb and cage to shut down elves' tutors.

Pyro prison does show how effective the concept of the deck is even with the restrictions in modern. The main difference (apart from fast mana) is that the modern version has more filtering than stompy.

Greetings everyone. It's been a little while since I posted, since things have gone crazy in my local meta since Top went away. Every Monday I play against Reanimator and DnT. It also seems I have been hit by a curse where I get mana screwed one round and then flood out in the next. At first I chalked it up to variance, but I believe my deck is just as pissed off as I am. The store is all combo and DnT, with a splash of Delver. I kinda took a break from Legacy as a result, but I might end up coming back if I highly tune my sideboard for my store and only my store. Seems like a dick move, but I'm tired of seeing "Turn 0 Reveal Chancellor, turn 1 Entomb then Reanimate Sire of Insanity, go."

I skimmed the pages I missed, but didn't really pay too much attention. I am going to try Hazoret as I have seen others do, but I'm not sold on the Quicksmith Rebel. 4 mana 2 toughness creature that MIGHT deal 2 damage before it dies seems like quite a desperate option in my (amateur) opinion.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfJacks View Post
    Greetings everyone. It's been a little while since I posted, since things have gone crazy in my local meta since Top went away. Every Monday I play against Reanimator and DnT. It also seems I have been hit by a curse where I get mana screwed one round and then flood out in the next. At first I chalked it up to variance, but I believe my deck is just as pissed off as I am. The store is all combo and DnT, with a splash of Delver. I kinda took a break from Legacy as a result, but I might end up coming back if I highly tune my sideboard for my store and only my store. Seems like a dick move, but I'm tired of seeing "Turn 0 Reveal Chancellor, turn 1 Entomb then Reanimate Sire of Insanity, go."

I skimmed the pages I missed, but didn't really pay too much attention. I am going to try Hazoret as I have seen others do, but I'm not sold on the Quicksmith Rebel. 4 mana 2 toughness creature that MIGHT deal 2 damage before it dies seems like quite a desperate option in my (amateur) opinion.
    I'm skipping on Quicksmith Rebel, and instead sticking with Magma Jet. It's not repeatable damae, but its castable early, kills SFM, and fixes awkward draws.

My sideboard as of today:
    4 Faerie Macabre
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Pyrokinesis
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Volcanic Fallout

1 Faerie Macabre might swap with a Ratchet Bomb as extra token destruction vs Dredge/Grixi delver/Elves
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Feb 2013
    Canada

I have been tweaking this for a couple of months now, but haven't posted it here. The deck has around a 70% win rate and takes a tremendous amount of practice with mulliganing, but once you understand the mechanics it is very rewarding and fun to play

LANDS:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    13 Mountains

CREATURES:

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Avaricious Dragon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

OTHER SPELLS:

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Smokestack

SIDEBOARD:

2 Fiery Confluence
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Sun Droplet
    4 Trinisphere
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

As always the board is a work in progress, but the main deck is as good as it has ever been.
    The combination of Smokestack and Goblin Rabblemaster seems fun! I'll have to try this out.

Thanks for sharing!

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I'm skipping on Quicksmith Rebel, and instead sticking with Magma Jet. It's not repeatable damae, but its castable early, kills SFM, and fixes awkward draws.

My sideboard as of today:
    4 Faerie Macabre
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Pyrokinesis
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Volcanic Fallout

1 Faerie Macabre might swap with a Ratchet Bomb as extra token destruction vs Dredge/Grixi delver/Elves
    What's your main? Trying to decide between this and D&T for Vegas.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

10 Mountains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Sin Prodder
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

4 Fiery Confluence
    2 Magma Jet

I'm not sold on Koth nor Quicksmith not Hazoret. The deck doesn't need more 4 drops. It needs more consistency or filtering at lower mana points.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    10 Mountains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Sin Prodder
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

4 Fiery Confluence
    2 Magma Jet

I'm not sold on Koth nor Quicksmith not Hazoret. The deck doesn't need more 4 drops. It needs more consistency or filtering at lower mana points.
    I'm a huge fan magma jet, I think it's highly underrated. I've been playing it off and on in various builds but I haven't settled on a correct number.

Thread Information