Page 166 of 197 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    If you're running recruiters to get silver bullets just browse through the painter thread, we've debated them all over the ages. Manic vandal vs heretic. Since you're running so much equipment that can protect a heretic I'd go for that, was always in the heretic camp. Fun card is fun.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't see a whole lot there - Jaya Ballard and Spellskite solely for Painter. Phyrexian Metamorph always seems cool, but every time I play it it's underwhelming. And the ever-classic Wildfire Emissary. I'll keep puttering around, I'm sure there's some sweet toolbox or basher I want to run in as a 1x, something newer and more suited to Stompy. Might have to hit up Gatherer some more.

Something like Anger would be both hilarious and dreadfully awful. I'll have to research.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    So any, any hints on silver bullets would be great. And I just remembered one of them which is definitely going in: Viashino Heretic.
    Have you tried the goblin list? It is not too bad with the lock pieces. It does have some silver bullets. Revoker is always good.

Here is my take on the goblin stompy build that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

20 LANDS

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Mountain

24 CREATURES

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Moggcatcher
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Stingscourger

16 OTHER SPELLS

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Trinisphere

SIDEBOARD

4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Fiery Confluence
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Volcanic Fallout

Quote Originally Posted by claulis View Post
    Have you tried the goblin list? It is not too bad with the lock pieces. It does have some silver bullets. Revoker is always good.

Here is my take on the goblin stompy build that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

20 LANDS

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Mountain

24 CREATURES

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Moggcatcher
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Stingscourger

16 OTHER SPELLS

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Trinisphere

SIDEBOARD

4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Fiery Confluence
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    I like Moggcatcher, but the RR would make me have to rebuild the manabase (which is fine) but also reduce my threat count. I happen to own the Recruiters, and I feel they're superior to Moggcatcher because right away they net you card advantage. If your Moggcatcher dies while summoning sick, and it's pretty fragile without Chalice, then you didn't really get what you wanted, unlike Recruiter. SoFI is a big problem for this deck, I'd imagine, and another way to zap a sick Moggcather.

Recruiter oftentimes is another "must Force" threat, especially with equipment. It's even fine against white removal, doing the "Recruiter Combo."

But I like your list, again, I'd have to drop Zoetic Cavern to make the RR for Catcher. Zoetic has been incredible vs DnT for me, and is just randomly great. I think Cavern of Souls is awkward when you want to resolve a Rabblemaster or Blood Moon. I prefer just basic Mountain in the slot. Wasteland that, turn one!

I did find a piece of arcana that no one considered so far, mostly because no one runs equip: Squee, Goblin Nabob. I think that guy could potentially be a boss in my build, again, "dodging" non-white removal. I'mma drop Hanweir for that nutjob.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."

I like Moggcatcher, but the RR would make me have to rebuild the manabase (which is fine) but also reduce my threat count. I happen to own the Recruiters, and I feel they're superior to Moggcatcher because right away they net you card advantage. If your Moggcatcher dies while summoning sick, and it's pretty fragile without Chalice, then you didn't really get what you wanted, unlike Recruiter. SoFI is a big problem for this deck, I'd imagine, and another way to zap a sick Moggcather.

Recruiter oftentimes is another "must Force" threat, especially with equipment. It's even fine against white removal, doing the "Recruiter Combo."

But I like your list, again, I'd have to drop Zoetic Cavern to make the RR for Catcher. Zoetic has been incredible vs DnT for me, and is just randomly great. I think Cavern of Souls is awkward when you want to resolve a Rabblemaster or Blood Moon. I prefer just basic Mountain in the slot. Wasteland that, turn one!

I did find a piece of arcana that no one considered so far, mostly because no one runs equip: Squee, Goblin Nabob. I think that guy could potentially be a boss in my build, again, "dodging" non-white removal. I'mma drop Hanweir for that nutjob.
    Could u share Ur list? Thanks

Dec 2013
    NJ

Thanks for the advice. I didn't see a whole lot there - Jaya Ballard and Spellskite solely for Painter. Phyrexian Metamorph always seems cool, but every time I play it it's underwhelming. And the ever-classic Wildfire Emissary. I'll keep puttering around, I'm sure there's some sweet toolbox or basher I want to run in as a 1x, something newer and more suited to Stompy. Might have to hit up Gatherer some more.

Something like Anger would be both hilarious and dreadfully awful. I'll have to research.
    Off the top of my head from my painter days, some of the toolbox guys we looked at were Martyr of Ashes, Duergar Hedge-Mage, Manic Vandal, Gorilla Shaman, Defender of Chaos, Guma, Peacekeeper, Viashino Heretic, Spellskite, Goblin Welder, Phyrexian Revoker, Vexing Shusher.

A lot of these guys will be specific to painter to support the combo, or have synergy with painter's color changing, or be specific to a local meta, or be a non-bo with chalice. Personally I think recruiter is too slow in an aggressive stompy deck because of the mana constraints. If you get to the point where you have enough mana to cast recruiter and another creature, you should probably just cast a chandra or a thundermaw or moltensteel dragon or something.

Quote Originally Posted by NormalGuy View Post
    Off the top of my head from my painter days, some of the toolbox guys we looked at were Martyr of Ashes, Duergar Hedge-Mage, Manic Vandal, Gorilla Shaman, Defender of Chaos, Guma, Peacekeeper, Viashino Heretic, Spellskite, Goblin Welder, Phyrexian Revoker, Vexing Shusher.

A lot of these guys will be specific to painter to support the combo, or have synergy with painter's color changing, or be specific to a local meta, or be a non-bo with chalice. Personally I think recruiter is too slow in an aggressive stompy deck because of the mana constraints. If you get to the point where you have enough mana to cast recruiter and another creature, you should probably just cast a chandra or a thundermaw or moltensteel dragon or something.
    Thanks NormalGuy. There are a couple here I hadn't seen on the thread, but stuff like Revoker and Shusher I've tried and wasn't super stoked about them. For me Recruiter takes the spot of Fiery Confluence, which you need in the build because you get wrecked by Sword of Fire and Ice. Having that shatter is super important, and Recruiter suits up better than Confluence (which is still a great card). It's a bit slower, but half the time I get more Rabblemasters, and it's flexible for the mana input - Faerie Macabre, Sharpshooter, even just grab itself (pwn).

I'll be honest, though - the cash you put into Recruiter isn't worth it. Just jam more Hanweirs and lose to a SoFI, I mean, ffs Recruiter is overpriced.

The list is right here fluuu:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1026513

Dec 2013
    NJ

Thanks NormalGuy. There are a couple here I hadn't seen on the thread, but stuff like Revoker and Shusher I've tried and wasn't super stoked about them. For me Recruiter takes the spot of Fiery Confluence, which you need in the build because you get wrecked by Sword of Fire and Ice. Having that shatter is super important, and Recruiter suits up better than Confluence (which is still a great card). It's a bit slower, but half the time I get more Rabblemasters, and it's flexible for the mana input - Faerie Macabre, Sharpshooter, even just grab itself (pwn).

I'll be honest, though - the cash you put into Recruiter isn't worth it. Just jam more Hanweirs and lose to a SoFI, I mean, ffs Recruiter is overpriced.

I've found Hangarback Walker to be pretty good against SoFI because of the ability to chump block multiple turns and swing in the air. Also bridges are good, and I side in abrade. Rabblemaster is bad against decks with SoFI because they will get jitte instead and your tokens will be forced to attack into it. I've replaced rabblemaster with garrison in my deck for that reason and it's resilience to sweepers.

Quote Originally Posted by NormalGuy View Post
    I've found Hangarback Walker to be pretty good against SoFI because of the ability to chump block multiple turns and swing in the air. Also bridges are good, and I side in abrade. Rabblemaster is bad against decks with SoFI because they will get jitte instead and your tokens will be forced to attack into it. I've replaced rabblemaster with garrison in my deck for that reason and it's resilience to sweepers.
    Hangarback is actually a really good call there. I've been using Zoetic Cavern to delay a SoFI hit every now and then, which is super mana-intensive. But both blank Mother of Runes as well. I like that idea a lot.

Thanks, interesting one, i am trying right now to make a goblin stompie deck.

Had played 0 games of Legacy for the past 4 months. My friends convinced me last night to participate in Finnish Legacy Championships today. So I hurriedly made a deck last night and went.

"Aggro Stompy"
    9th / 89 in points
    12th / 89 with tiebreaker
    5-2, losses to Burn and Pox. The meta was full of greedy 4 color decks & 3 color decks without red, so I got awful luck in the pairings lottery (4 monocolor decks, 3 not monocolor decks).

NOTE: "Prison Stompy" went 5-0, ID, ID into top8 (ongoing as I write). "Goblin stompy" was on 53rd place.

Main Deck (60)
    Creature (18)
    2x Glorybringer - terribly bad today. Should have been a Pia and Kiran Nalaar vs Pox.
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster - MVP today.
    1x Hazoret the Fervent - OK today.
    1x Magus of the Moon - OK today. Never wanted more than 1 and frequently SB'd him out.
    1x Quicksmith Rebel - good today.
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Sin Prodder - great today. could have used a 3rd copy. Maybe even 4th.
    1x Stormbreath Dragon - good today. won the match vs DnT.
    1x Territorial Hellkite - OK today.
    1x Thunderbreak Regent - Bad today.

Planeswalker (4)
    4x Chandra, Torch of Defiance - MVP today.

Land (19)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    1x Cavern of Souls - never useful today. Should have been a basic Mountain to prevent PoP damage.
    2x City of Traitors - 2 seemed like a great number today but could maybe use a 3rd.
    1x Karakas - never useful today. Should have been a basic Mountain to prevent PoP damage.
    11x Mountain

Artifact (10)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    1x Trinisphere - very useful today as 1of. Only vs Burn could have used more MD
    1x Umezawa's Jitte - very useful today

Sorcery (5)
    4x Fiery Confluence
    1x Rolling Earthquake - useless today

Enchantment (4)
    4x Blood Moon

Sideboard (15)
    2x Abrade - Smash to Smithereens would have been better today
    1x Boil - never casted, brought in vs 3 decks
    3x Ensnaring Bridge - never casted, brought in vs 2 decks
    3x Faerie Macabre - never used, brought in vs storm and Pox
    1x Kozilek's Return - casted this vs DnT for great effect
    1x Scab-Clan Berserker - never used
    1x Sorcerous Spyglass - never useful although I brought it in vs Pox
    2x Trinisphere - never casted, brought in vs storm
    1x Volcanic Fallout - won g2 vs 4c control

Matches:
    R1 2-1 vs DnT, 40min
    Stormbreath Dragon + Jitte won the match vs MD SoFI. Opponent made a couple of small play mistakes.

R2 2-0 vs 4c storm, 15min
    Easy beats. Opponent made 6 goblins out of desperation in g2 but I Fiery Confluenced them away.

R3 2-1 vs Burn, 45min
    Horrible MU. MVP Jitte. Opponent had 10 year break from MtG previously & had a modern-ish burn list. He also had bad topdeck luck in g3.

R4 1-2 vs Monoblack smallpox control, 35 minutes.
    Horrible MU. Won g2 on the play with t1 Rabblemaster who ttacked every turn. Otherwise, the opponent's mana denial and discard effects (Hymn + Liliana especially) kept me out from the game.

R5 0-2 vs Burn, 10 minutes.
    Horrible MU. Experienced burn player with a decent list. He knew I was on stompy, I didn't know he was burn. G1 he won through Chalice @ 1 + Chalice @ 2 with Sulfuric Vortex into double Rift Bolt into Pyroblast.

R6 2-0 vs Ubgr midrange/control, 30 minutes.
    Overloaded his counters and removal by having too many "targets". He got rid of my important stuff by Simian Spirit Guide beats and Goblin token beats continued until he died.

R7 2-0 vs storm, 15 minutes.
    G1 won with Magus beats. My opponent failed to filter any business. I sideboarded incorrectly bringing Bridges in, thinking he was Sneaky Show based on Volcanic Island, basic Island, U fetch, Brainstorm, Lotus Petal I saw in g1. But I landed a Trinisphere in g2 on won anyhow. 3 mana LEDs got Fiery Confluenced away.

Hi all, just registered here to post my report for the Finnish legacy championships with the deck.
    I haven’t played the deck much and last time I picked it up was a year ago in the previous legacy champs as I don’t own the deck myself so I had to borrow quite few cards for it. Last year the goblin version was the popular version of this deck, but I played a version with some Chandras, Sin Prodders and Rabblemasters but that tournament didn’t go as planned...

Anyhow back to last weekend and this is what I ended up playing with.

The deck:

Artifact (16)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Trinisphere
    1x Lotus Petal

Sorcery (6)
    4x Fiery Confluence
    2x Incendiary Command

Creature (8)
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Simian Spirit Guide

Planeswalker (7)
    2x Chandra, Pyromaster
    1x Chandra, the Firebrand
    4x Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Land (19)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    11x Mountain

Enchantment (4)
    4x Blood Moon

Sideboard (15)
    2x Chaos Warp
    3x Kozilek's Return
    4x Leyline of the Void
    2x Null Rod
    3x Sorcerous Spyglass
    1x Trinisphere

On Friday I participated in the Legacy FNM held in the same store where the Saturday’s main tournament would be.
    FNM R1: Agro Loam
    Playing against friend who I know is on Loam and I have a good feeling about the match up. Game 1 I win quite fast, Games 2 and 3 he finds all the answers. Well this wasn’t how I planned starting this journey.
    0-1

FNM R2: Solidarity
    Again I know the player is most likely playing solidarity. I haven’t played this match up before, but I had a good feeling about it. Well that good feeling went away quite fasts G1 and G2 ended in end of turn wish for Hurkyls and proceed to kill me on my next turn. I guess the match up wasn’t that great since Solidarity has quite a lot of time to set up his things, well lessons learned.
    0-2

FNM R3: Agro Loam
    Again I had seen that the player is on Agro Loam and I’m again feeling quite confident. Game one I win with Moon and things. Game 2 I mull to 5 and lose, Game 3 he finds all the answers. Well 0-2 against Agro Loams, not feeling too good about my deck choice anymore.
    0-3

FNM R4: Bye
    “yay”
    1-3

Ok so the rehearsal before the premiere was a train wreck. I had doubts and spare decks to switch on to but I decided to keep to my choice and with my friend who was on Goblin Stompy we tweaked the sideboard a little for the main event.

FINNISH LEGACY CHAMPIONSHIP!

R1: Agro Loam
    Oh agro loam again. Well yesterday’s performance had left me doubtful of this matchup. Game 1 Blood Moon wins the game. I side out chalices, commands and trinispheres and bring in leylines, kozilek’s returns and chaos warps . Game 2 Blood moon, Bridge and Chandra win the game. I ulted Chandra, Pyromaster just to wiff, oh well atleast I removed 10 blanks from the top. Yay yesterday’s bad karma is gone and now I’m feeling bit more confident.
    1-0

R2: Eldrazi Stompy
    Another familiar face, though I’m not sure what he is playing. T1 Blood Moon with chrome mox pitching Incendiary Command in game one is quite good, but he resolves walking ballista and I find only more lock pieces. I get Chandra Pyromaster and he spends 5 counters from Ballista to kill it. Great next turn I find confluence to kill the ballista. I cast Incendiary command to kill a land and dome him for 4. He then plays Chalice for 4 and follows it with Chalice for 3. I look to my grave and exile where both of my Commands are, do a deck count I got 30 cards he has 31, well should’ve made us discard and draw with that first Command.
    On to Game 2. I sideboard in the nullrods, chaos warps and spyglasses. I can’t find Blood Moon but Bridge keeps me alive. The game goes to a race between End Bringers and Chandra, I manage to find 2 Fiery Confluences and end the game.
    Game 3 I get T1 Magus of the Moon and proceed to beat down. This is going better than expected
    2-0

R3: Solidarity
    This is the same Solidarity from yesterday and I’m not feeling too good. We get deck checked but both decks are fine. He plays Island go, I play T1 chalice for 1 it resolves. He draws curses and passes. Wow he kept 1 lander without any can trips or forces. I play chalice for 2 and he scoops it up. I side out Blood Moons and Ensnaring bridges, bring in leylines, chaos warps and a sorcerous spyglass (maybe keeping one moon would be better). Game 2 I play fast trinisphere followed with Chandra which he remands several times, he seems to flood out a little. I resolve the Chandra finally +1 for mana and play sorcerous spyglass naming misty rainforest. I ulted Chandra next turn I plus Chandra for card and find Chalice, I play it for 2 he responds with high tide and lets it resolve, end of turn he plays wish but looks at the chalice and realizes it was on 2 and not for 1, takes peek with the wish, goes to his turn plays brainstorm curses a little and passes the turn taps my lands with turnabout I take mana from Chandra and play chrome mox from and and the emblem trigger kills him. He tells me after the game that he found 3 misty rainforests and because of the spyglass couldn’t shuffle away the cards with brainstorm. Anyhow this is now going way better than expected.
    3-0

R4: 4Color Delver
    Again familiar face that I know is most likely on delver, he doesn’t know what I’m on and keeps guessing on some graveyard deck. T1 Chalice for 1, followed up with trinisphere and moon goes to game 2. I side in trinispheres and spyglasses taking out some win cons. Game 2 I mull to 5 and he has the answers. To game 3, Chalice for 1 resolves again and followed with blood moon seals the deal. Again Chandra, Pyromaster ult found no instant or sorcery. Well that round went as planned and Im feeling even more confident at this point.
    4-0

R5: Elves
    Game 1 Chalice followed with all the lock pieces end up winning the game side in trinisphere and the sweepers, cutting down on the walkers and commands. Game 2 I mull to 5 with 2 mountain, bridge, confluence, Chandra hand. Decent hand if I find sol land, well I don’t find it and he Hoofs me away. Game 3 I get chalice for 1 and trinisphere, but can’t find a moon. I land a Chandra and he plays couple of elves with cavern mana which I both kill with K Returns to protect Chandra, I find magus and bridge, take fast emblem and manage to win the game with the emblem even though he got to resolve a Ruric Thar. Ok top 8 is now looking strong.
    5-0

R6: Eldrazi Stompy
    I get paired down but offer ID. Opponent doesn’t take it, he mulls to 5 and plays T1 chalice for 1, I play T1 blood moon and proceed to win the game. Opponent asks if ID is still on the table, I accept.
    5-0-1

R6: Pox
    ID
    5-0-2

So I’m 4th on breakers since I got paired down twice.

Top8: Eldrazi Stopmpy
    I know he is on Eldrazi Stompy and T1 Blood Moon wins the game, I side in the same as previous eldrazi game. Game 2 I keep hand with T1 blood moon and Null rod. He plays Tomb into Grim monolith. I go for null rod, he plays eldrazi temple and TKS, I show him 2 moons and 2 chandras and spirit guide, he takes the guide. I proceed to play moon and top deck lands for Chandra and that’s the match.

Top4: 4 Color Deathblade
    Game 1 he has decays fows and dazes for everything and kills me with TNN and DRS’s. I side in same as in grixis delver match, this might be wrong in the end. Game 2 I get fast chalice and trini and he goes for TNN, I get magus of the moon and Chandra, he attacks Chandra down to 2 and chandras next +1 finds ensnaring bridge for the win. Game 3 I keep hand with 3 ancient tombs chrome mox, blood moon and chalice and trinisphere. T1 chalice and T2 Trinisphere are ok, he then decays my chalice and toughtseizes away my moon. I play sorcerous spyglass to see daze fow stop and land and I name DRS to the spy glass. Next turn I play ensnaring bridge that gets the fow. I have managed to draw chalice and magus of the moon, I play chalice for 1 to kill the stop and then play the magus, but he has drawn decay. I have taken a lot of damage from my lands and he then top decks batterskull, I need a bridge in to moon to stay alive in the game. I find the moon but have to chump. Then Jace seals the game.

I ended up 4th and 150€ in store credit.

Oh well I had a great run and was very lucky with my pairings. If not counting the Solidarity list, my other opponents that I played against had a total of 4 basic lands in their decks. Delver, Deathblade and the first eldrazi opponent had no basics. So I think my deck choice was quite good for the meta. In the end the tournament was won by Grixis Delver.
    On the some unconventional card choices:
    Chandra, the Firebrand. She was not that bad copying Fiery Confluence can be great to kill Goyfs and Gurmag anglers or just dome to opponent for 12, I think she is acceptable as a one-off even though her ”card advantage” is bit different from the other 2 chandras.
    Incendiary Command. Well I did not want to play the Rolling EQ, first of all I couldn’t get my hands on them, but I didn’t like that it deals damage to me and can’t be copied with Pyromaster ult. I was also considering Beacon of Destruction in this slot, but decided that Incendiary command is more flexible. If I had chosen different modes in the first eldrazi game that would’ve won me the game, otherwise when I cast it, it really didn’t matter what spell it was. I’m not 100% convinced on this card but it was easy to side out in lot of matchups. If it would say destroy target land instead of non basic, then I would be all over this card, but now I'm still looking what to play in this slot.

Well I liked the deck that much that I started investing in the cards and will build this for myself.
    Last edited by Pikku; 10-16-2017 at 05:01 AM.

R4 1-2 vs Monoblack smallpox control, 35 minutes.
    Horrible MU. Won g2 on the play with t1 Rabblemaster who ttacked every turn. Otherwise, the opponent's mana denial and discard effects (Hymn + Liliana especially) kept me out from the game.
    That matchup is actually pretty good. The key is to know that they have a real hard time dealing with Chandra or Rabblemaster. If you just stick a turn 1 rabblemaster, you are likely to win. Same if you stick a turn 1-2 Chandra.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

You guys! We're a known quantity!

Dec 2013
    NJ

Eternal Weekend Tournament report:

//Main
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Fiery Confluence
    2 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Hangarback Walker
    4 Hanweir Garrison
    2 Lotus Petal
    4 Magus of the Moon
    12 Mountain
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass

//Sideboard
    SB: 2 Abrade
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 2 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    SB: 3 Kozilek's Return
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 3 Trinisphere

Match 1 - Grixis or 4-color?
    - Win/Loss/Loss
    All I remember about this match is a lot of Hymn to Tourach and Snapcaster+Hymn. In one of the games I played 2 mountains with a Chandra in hand, and he hymned the city out of my hand and I was stuck on mana for a bunch of turns.
    (0-1)

Match 2 - ??? Something with DRS
    - Win/Loss/Win
    I didn't write down which deck this was, but my notes say that I named DRS with spyglass in game 2. From the life tallys it looks like I closed out game 1 with Hanweir Garrison and Game 2 with Rabblemaster without taking any damage in either of those games.
    (1-1)

Match 3 - Turbo Depths vs Eli Kessis
    - Win/Loss/Win
    I think game 1 was a turn 1 blood moon but I can't tell how I closed out the game. Game 2 I think I played revoker on hexmage and he made a quick Marit lage with stage. Game 3 was pretty close, Garrison was the allstar here. I played a chalice on 1, then a garrison. He wished for a rec-sage to blow up chalice, then I played bridge. He played engineered explosives on 0 to blow up the garrison tokens, and maybe another rec-sage to destroy bridge, but I had just enough damage to kill him with garrison before Marrit Lage could attack.
    (2-1)

Match 4 - Omnitell w/ Enter the Infinite, Sneak attack, Burning Wish
    - Win/Loss/Loss
    Game one it looks like I beat him down with magus and rabblemaster. He played out a sneak attack without anything to sneak in. Game 2 I'm beating him down, he sneaks in Griselbrand as a chump blocker to gain some life, I play an ensnaring bridge, then a few turns later he wishes for Void Snare, bounces bridge, and sneaks in emerkul for the win with 5 life left. Game 3 is kind of interesting. I play a turn 1 chalice on 1, he plays turn 1 island, petal, petal, show and tell. I show ensnaring bridge, he shows omniscence, plays enter the infinite, plays an emerkul and of bunch of junk. He tries to Void Snare my bridge, chalice counters it, then he's durdling around trying to figure out if he has any way to win. Eventually he realizes he can play Jace, then play a bunch of emerkul's over and over to take a bunch of extra turns and ultimate jace on me for the win.
    (2-2)

Match 5 - UBR Reanimator
    - Win/Win
    I don't have many notes here, but it looks like both wins were garrison beatdowns. Probably trinisphere/chalice locks.
    (3-2)

Match 6 - Burn
    - Loss/Win/Win
    Game 1 he burns me out very quickly, doing 10 damage on the last turn with some burn spell and double firebolt. Games 2 and 3 were turn 1 trinispheres and he never gets the mana to cast any spells.
    (4-2)

Match 7 - Semi-mirror match
    - Loss/Loss
    This guy was playing with a chandra torch/koth/rolling earthquake build. Both of these games are pretty grindy. I'm playing out dudes to beat him down, and he's rolling earthquake'ing away my board. Were killing each others chandras with firey confluence. Game 1 he kills me with 1 life left. Game 2 I end up ult'ing Jaya Ballard to wipe out his simian's and kill his chandra leaving us both with empty boards. Then we play draw-go for a bunch of turns and he draws the first kill spell.
    (4-3)

Match 8 - Eldrazi Stompy
    - Win/Win
    Fast blood moons win both of these games. Game 1 was pretty close, he gets a 5/5 Endless one equipped with a Jitte, but doesn't respect hangarback enough to kill it immediately, allowing me to pump it up and leave me with enough blockers to close out the game with 2 firey confluence. Game 2 I roll right over him with a T1 garrison, T2 blood moon.
    (5-3)

Match 9 - UR Delver
    - Win/Win
    Game 1 I'm racing with garrison against 2 swiftspears, he's blocking the tokens and taking 2 damage every turn. I think I get down a second garrison and win the race. Game 2 he's beating me with swiftspears for a bit, I get down 2 garrison's then I Kozilek's return which gets countered, then Kozilek's return again to wipe his board and he scoops it up.
    (6-3)

Match 10 - UB Reanimator
    - Loss/Win/Win
    Game 1 he's on the play, plays a swamp, I play a chalice on 1 and he entomb's griselbrand in response, then exhumes T2 and beats me down. Game 2 I spyglass naming griselbrand, and get down a garrison, he entomb's and exhumes tidespout tyrant but can't bounce things fast enough to race garrison/chandra/rabblemaster. Game 3 he reveals Chancellor of the Annex, plays a land and passes, I play T1 tomb, chalice on 1 and pitch SSG to pay for chancellor, then rabblemaster makes quick work of him.
    (7-3)

Match 11 - UR Delver
    - Loss/Win/Win
    Game 1 he beats me down pretty quick with swiftspears and delver. I side out 8 moons and 2 spyglass for 3 K-Return, 2 Abrade, 3 trinisphere, and 2 jaya and sweep and abrade my way to 2 wins.
    (8-3)

Final record is 8-3-0 which is enough to make 63rd place and win $125 credit. From the mirror matchup, rolling earthquake looks extremely strong, I'm gonna have to pick up a set of those to try out. I also like trinisphere in the sideboard more then maindeck. Firey confluence is amazing, I'll definitely be sticking with 4 maindeck from now on. I'm still not too sure about spyglass, I like being able to get information game 1, and it's usually able to name something relevant, so I'll probably stick with 2 for now, but it might just be better as something else.

I also got told by a judge that I needed to get checklist cards for garrison because the back was just barely visible through my petrol colored dragon shields, luckily I was able to find a set at one of the vendors, otherwise I would of had to re-sleeve into black sleeves or something.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Congrats! Way to represent.
    If you want to keep your sleeves and not use checklist cards, Dragon Shield makes 'smoke' shields. They have a tinted back specifically to help hide DFC in tournament play.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Has anyone tried Price of Glory or Citadel of Pain in the board against blue-based decks? Seems awesome in a deck that operates at sorcery speed.

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Has anyone tried Price of Glory or Citadel of Pain in the board against blue-based decks? Seems awesome in a deck that operates at sorcery speed.
    We don't have infinite space, and for the most part beat up on blue decks.

I'm playing the burning wish package version. Having a lot of trouble winning against a resolved jace the mind sculptor. Any pointers or suggestions? I usually bring in the 4th fiery confluence in place of a magus since the jace decks typically either play stp or fatal push.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Spyglass is your friend

I know the discussion is from a fee weeks back, but I've been playing Moggcatcher for ~6 months or so. Certainly not long enough to master it, but enough to explain some of the key differences between it and traditional Dragon Stompy, which I have less experience with.

For starters, Moggcatcher has a much stronger late game. The presence of a tutor package gives the deck plenty of answers, so if something manages to come down through our prison pieces we can still deal with it. Moggcatcher can also grind out wins thanks to Kiki-Jiki. Copying cards like Murderous Redcap, Goblin Settler, and Siege-Gang Commander means we can out-value decks that don't care about whatever prison cards that are currently on the board. Even without copying them they can still grind out wins on their own. Additionally, the tutor package gives us extra sideboard hosers, like Goblin Sharpshooter.

Unfortunately, the curve is also higher. It's much harder to draw out of mana screw because our cards tend to cost more mana. We also end up running Cavern of Souls, which can be awkward because we play humans (Magus and Moggcatcher) and Chandra. While the utility of being able to name the creature type we need immediately, it puts us at the mercy of our draws to make it useable. It also tends to have more complex lines of play than traditional Dragon Stompy because of the ability to tutor whatever we need (not that Dragon Stompy is a particularly trivial strategy to play in the first place). It's easy to punt games away without knowing it until it's too late.

Personally, I prefer Moggcatcher because of its late game engine and capacity to to fight through the opponent's cards they manage to cast. Plus, Goblin Settler + Kiki-Jiki is a hilarious lock for those opponents who insist on attempting to play Magic this round.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thread Information