Page 177 of 197 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Not sure if this has come up before but is there any reason not to run Ramunap Ruins? Just the potential damage of them plus Ancient Tomb?

While it is true that with the new rules Fiery Confluence will be worst, I think it still deserves some spots (as it is still very versatile). If we are worried against PW, creatures and Sorcerous Spyglass are our main options. I would like to test the following list. Happy for your thoughts:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Hazoret, the Fervent
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chandra, ToD
    3 Fiery Confluence

To be honest I would also like to test the Burning Wish option, but as it is a too slow alternative I would probably run only 3: -2 Fiery - 1 Goblin Rabblemaster + 3 Burning Wish.

In any case, I still think the main problem of this deck is the lack of manipulation, and being in top deck mode all the time. Need to think about that.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

"Mono-Red Prison" had a decent weekend at the Cincinnati Open.

6th in the Team Open
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=119700

14th in the Classic
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=119783

Main decks are 1 card off of each other (3/3 and 4/2 splits of Trinisphere and Bridge). Sideboards are 3 cards different (Drew shaved 2 Berserkers and a Faerie for 2 Spheres and a From the Ashes).

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Hey guys,
    are you really happy with 4 Goblin Rabblemaster in the 4 Ensnaring Bridge build? I played the PW heavy for a couple of months back in 2017 and I really really disliked the Rabblemaster back then because when bridge is on the table the goblin does absoultley nothing and he also gets blocked and killed by a stupid Snapcaster Mage, Dark Confidant, Young Pyromancer and so on...

I know he´s very powerful on an empty board or vs combo MU´s but even against the most common combo decks like Sneak Show and BR Reanimator he cant attack because bridge will be on the field most of the time and we dont want to board out bridge vs Emrakul + Grizzeldaddy.

I really liked more PW like Koth of the Hammer and more Chandra Pyromasters or Hazoret because they just can pressure them behind a bridge. Especially Koth is totaly underplayed in my opinion because on an empty field he´s also a good clock with a 4/4 haste body and his ulti is very fast and controls the board perfectly vs smaller dudes...

Scab-Clan Berserker is also another topic I wanted to talk about. I think he´s super strong and fits the deck perfectly when your´re playing a aggro version of the deck with Rabblemaster/Hanweir Garisson/Hazoret/Koth or whatever but in a bridge build he doesnt really do it for me outside of the burn and Storm MU´s. Here we have the same reason like with the rabblemaster vs Sneak Show + BR Reanimator.

This are my current versions which I´m working on (Nothings set in stone so far!):

The control version:

11 Creatures
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Hazoret, the Fervant
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

29 Spells
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Fiery Confluence
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere

20 Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    12 Mountain

Sideboard:
    4 LeyLine of the Void
    3 Kozileks Return
    3 Sudden Shock
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Null Rod
    1 Trinisphere

The aggro version

20 Creatures
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Hanweir Garisson
    2 Hazoret, the Fervant
    2 Koth of the Hammer

22 Spells
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magma Jet
    3 Fiery Confluence
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere

18 Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

Sideboard:
    4 LeyLine of the Void
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    4 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Trinisphere

The aggro is really in a working progress and is inspired by the two times Top 4 decklist from the Knight Ware Store Legacy -> http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=18775&d=317455&f=LE

I really wanna try to just smash dudes with a toughness of 3 into the deck because I want to be able to make 2 damage to all creatures with Fiery Confluence or Fallour out of the SB without killing my own dudes. Hanweir Garisson is a bit slower than Rabblemaster but he has a 3 on his ass and the tokens dont have to attack always. How I said earlier I really want to play more resistent attackers which dont get blocked by oposing Snaps, YP´s or Bobis...Hazoret and Koth are perfectly fine here I think but the reason why I´m playing the goblin here is that I dont want to play to many cc4 dudes in a aggro version. I really like Hellrider but he´s another cc4 dude

I would love to hear your thoughts about both lists and looking forward to hear some feedback from you guys
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Rabblemaster/Bridge version has been putting up results!

Did anyone else notice that with only 4 days left in the month of March, Dragon Stompy is #2 on the TCDecks tier list?
    http://tcdecks.net/metagame.php?form...y&fecha=2018-3

I guess that explains why Fiery Confluence is a $30 card now...

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Rabblemaster/Bridge version has been putting up results!

Did anyone else notice that with only 4 days left in the month of March, Dragon Stompy is #2 on the TCDecks tier list?
    http://tcdecks.net/metagame.php?form...y&fecha=2018-3

I guess that explains why Fiery Confluence is a $30 card now...
    This does not mean that he fits the bridge shell perfectly or that this list is perfect...
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    This does not mean that he fits the bridge shell perfectly or that this list is perfect...
    Firstly, Manipulato: I like your lists. I do think that an aggressive slant is useful, especially once the Planeswalker Redirection change takes place. I am going to incorporate some Koths to start.

Secondly: though Rabblemaster might "seem" like a nonbo with Ensnaring Bridge, it often plays out much differently. Rabblemaster and Bridge in play creates an army of goblins. You simply play your drawn card every Main Phase One. When you're ready to "strike" with twenty 1/1's for two consecutive turns, you just keep your drawn card in hand and play it in Main Phase Two.

Quote Originally Posted by AEMarling View Post
    Not only will Fiery Confluence be weakened but so will Chandra, Torch of Defiance. With reduced ability to kill Planeswalkers, the deck will become weaker by at least a few percentage points. If we were a top tier deck this wouldn't be an issue, but it feels like kicking a dog while it's down. I expressed my concern to Wizards and I hope you will too, politely.
    Yeah, this is pissing me off. This was a completely unnecessary change that just serves to force the errata of tons of red cards to make them actively worse.

Planeswalkers were already crazy strong and there was no good reason to make them that much harder to deal with.

Pondering how each deck (even Czcech Pile!) chooses to beat Blood Moon and Wasteland by playing 1-2 basic lands...

Might it be worthwhile to go back to trying out Boom/Bust these days?

Boom can, of course, take out our opponent's one pre-Moon fetched basic.

Meanwhile, Bust is pretty good against the likes of Miracles (a feat that From the Ashes can't accomplish).

What happened to that inclusion and what were the conclusions of trying it? And could it be good now?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by korstructure View Post
    Pondering how each deck (even Czcech Pile!) chooses to beat Blood Moon and Wasteland by playing 1-2 basic lands... It

Might it be worthwhile to go back to trying out Boom/Bust these days?

Boom can, of course, take out our opponent's one pre-Moon fetched basic.

Meanwhile, Bust is pretty good against the likes of Miracles (a feat that From the Ashes can't accomplish).

What happened to that inclusion and what were the conclusions of trying it? And could it be good now?
    I've probably tested Boom // Bust more than most...

As a part of the main deck, it is too inconsistent. Nuking one of your lands for one of your opponent's can be game ending, but it can stall you out of the game too. It's also fairly useless against basic-heavy strategies. I think there is an argument to include it in Burning Wish lists, but when sideboard space gets tight it feels like the card to cut (instead of Stone Rain).

But ymmv!

The aggro version

20 Creatures
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Hanweir Garisson
    2 Hazoret, the Fervant
    2 Koth of the Hammer

22 Spells
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magma Jet
    3 Fiery Confluence
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere

18 Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

Sideboard:
    4 LeyLine of the Void
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    4 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Trinisphere

The aggro is really in a working progress and is inspired by the two times Top 4 decklist from the Knight Ware Store Legacy -> http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=18775&d=317455&f=LE

I really wanna try to just smash dudes with a toughness of 3 into the deck because I want to be able to make 2 damage to all creatures with Fiery Confluence or Fallour out of the SB without killing my own dudes. Hanweir Garisson is a bit slower than Rabblemaster but he has a 3 on his ass and the tokens dont have to attack always. How I said earlier I really want to play more resistent attackers which dont get blocked by oposing Snaps, YP´s or Bobis...Hazoret and Koth are perfectly fine here I think but the reason why I´m playing the goblin here is that I dont want to play to many cc4 dudes in a aggro version. I really like Hellrider but he´s another cc4 dude

I would love to hear your thoughts about both lists and looking forward to hear some feedback from you guys
    I like the Aggro version a lot with Equipment. I find Jittes are way better than the oddball Magma Jet. Jitte/SoFI and other equipment are pretty close to another prison piece in that they end up killing DRS, whittling away at Elves, and just controlling the mana dorks turn by turn. If you run Equip, the new reprint of Imperial Recruiter also gets a LOT better, and you can jam 1x of Goblin Settler, Walking Ballista, Stingscourger, etc etc.

I played Hanweir and in my meta it's AMAZING. So much P Fire and K Command, and the card puts some serious pressure on. Less powerful, but more resilient than Rabbles.

Hazoret is about the same, and only every now and then gets in the awkward situation she can't attack. But both dodge some removal, with Haz being much stronger vs Push/Bolt, though weaker to DnT (which is a really tough MU).

I manage to get a winning record in my LGS, but haven't much taken it out to bigger tourneys. No time with grad school.

I run 10 Equip total in my build, and wish there were a playable version of Stoneforge / Godo out there. Alas!

EDIT: Just like with Magus, you have to be careful of walking into Ambush Viper with Rabbleman. It makes you not want to pressure and risk the blowout by a flash dude. Bleh. Garrison feels great vs YP.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    I like the Aggro version a lot with Equipment. I find Jittes are way better than the oddball Magma Jet. Jitte/SoFI and other equipment are pretty close to another prison piece in that they end up killing DRS, whittling away at Elves, and just controlling the mana dorks turn by turn. If you run Equip, the new reprint of Imperial Recruiter also gets a LOT better, and you can jam 1x of Goblin Settler, Walking Ballista, Stingscourger, etc etc.

I played Hanweir and in my meta it's AMAZING. So much P Fire and K Command, and the card puts some serious pressure on. Less powerful, but more resilient than Rabbles.

Hazoret is about the same, and only every now and then gets in the awkward situation she can't attack. But both dodge some removal, with Haz being much stronger vs Push/Bolt, though weaker to DnT (which is a really tough MU).

I manage to get a winning record in my LGS, but haven't much taken it out to bigger tourneys. No time with grad school.

I run 10 Equip total in my build, and wish there were a playable version of Stoneforge / Godo out there. Alas!

EDIT: Just like with Magus, you have to be careful of walking into Ambush Viper with Rabbleman. It makes you not want to pressure and risk the blowout by a flash dude. Bleh. Garrison feels great vs YP.
    Hi,
    yeah equipment is not wrong for sure but I personally just have no space for it...I like Magma Jet because it can kill a Shaman, Noble or something like SFM/Delver/YP right now before they get dangerous. The scry 2 ability is also super strong in a deck like this without deck manipulation. It prevents flooding or screwing and it can go upstairs if needed.
    But maybe its better to make -4 Magma Jet +2 Umezawa's Jitte +1 Fiery Confluence + Xx?
    I'm also a fan of Hanweir Garrisson and I think he's underplayed.
    Would be cool if you could share your list with us.

I also thought about something like this with legacy allstar Brazen Scourge ;-)

23 Creatures
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Hanweir Garisson
    4 Brazen Scourge
    4 Hellrider

19 Spells
    4 Blood Mooon
    4 Fiery Confluence

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere

18 Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

Sideboard:
    4 Ley-Line of the Void
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    4 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Trinisphere

I think if we're playing 4 Rabblemaster 4 Garisson then Hellrider would be a fantastic card because his trigger is super agressive together with the tokens. Haste is also a very powerful ability in a aggro deck and good vs planeswalker.
    If the scourge is to weak then I think its possible to replace them with 2 Koth 2 Hazoret but they're another cc4 dudes which I dont like with only 18 lands.
    Scourge is not bonkers or anything but I think just stone solid, 3 drop with haste and a 3 /3 body does everything this deck wants I think.

Any thoughts or experiences?

I would say the control build looks way stronger on paper and I quite liked it when I was playing it but a fast clock is important in many MU's. There were many games where the deck couldnt finish and my oponent had 6-10 turns time to draw them out of the prison lock.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Instead of the 3/3 haste, why not shove Scab-Clan Berserker into the main, freeing up 4 slots in the sideboard for Sulfur Elementals or Sneak and Show hate?
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Instead of the 3/3 haste, why not shove Scab-Clan Berserker into the main, freeing up 4 slots in the sideboard for Sulfur Elementals or Sneak and Show hate?
    I already thought about this but I'm afraid that he cant get renown constantly because a blocker is in the way. He also has just 2/2 at the beginning which can be problematic.
    He's strong vs anything with a low creature count but vs decks like Elves, DnT or Grixis Delver he's to unconsistent for my taste.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

bruizar

I already thought about this but I'm afraid that he cant get renown constantly because a blocker is in the way. He also has just 2/2 at the beginning which can be problematic.
    He's strong vs anything with a low creature count but vs decks like Elves, DnT or Grixis Delver he's to unconsistent for my taste.
    I like Ahn-Crop Crasher in this slot. gets around gurmag anglers and such while pressuring the last points of damage. Also, the mana cost is easier with tombs and city of traitors

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...ment_report_w/

A buddy of mine top 8'd the legacy challenge today with mono-red prison stompy. Just in case anybody cares.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by jbone2016 View Post
    A buddy of mine top 8'd the legacy challenge today with mono-red prison stompy. Just in case anybody cares.
    Nice! Congrats to him and thanks for sharing his list.

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

Well, so far 7-1 with my buddy's list at GP Seattle. I saw a lot mono red prison decks towards the end of the day. Beating 2 mirrors in my last two rounds.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by jbone2016 View Post
    Well, so far 7-1 with my buddy's list at GP Seattle. I saw a lot mono red prison decks towards the end of the day. Beating 2 mirrors in my last two rounds.
    You think that Dragon Stompy deck is better than Big Red? Curious to hear your thoughts..

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

There's some overlap in how these terms/names are used. Could be he's talking about the same thing? Mentions 2 mirrors...
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Thread Information