Page 2 of 197 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Re: Dragon Stompy

Not to mention, Revoker dodges your own Chalices set to 1.

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

I am aware how good the Revoker is, thats why 4 were bought directly as they were available and were putted in the sb... .
    I dont see him in the maindeck because he isnt a thread without equipment and cant be pitched to Chrome Mox which seems not that bad, but really is a huge disadvantage in my eyes. Besides that, which is indeed the smallest prob., he doesnt interact good with Chalice @ 2.
    I see his great impacts on the board sometimes, but I really dont see him as THE card that i want to include badly in the maindeck, even if there are so many decks which run vial atm (Gobs, Folks, Maverick, Junks&Taxes, Death&Taxes, Green&Taxes...). I am hoping desperatly that a new guy is printed which fits better in that slot, but as said again, I havent found him yet, still looking forward to get a hint or wait till that Phantom-card is printed.
    Everyone else tried Kher Keep and Null Brooch? I think those cards are huge, especially the Brooch when you play the Hellbent lists.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

As long as there is no better creature than Arc-Slogger I won't replace him...

...testings has shown that there is no good alternative, and I repeat that [even if I never imagined it] its no good idea to remove Seething Song as long as cc5 cards are in the deck.

Revoker [while being a real good card] is not maindeckable IMO, because he doesn't fit good enough in the Aggro-role, and he also doesn't fit good enough in the "I win"-role [we didn't play Needles main in the past]

WHY Kher Keep? When does this card does something relevant?

I can somehow understand Null Brooh, even if I never tested it, and I think Fortune Thief can be a good [meta dependant] choice, but Kher Keep? against what? seriously. 2 Mana and a land tap for a 0/1... and the land doenst produces R either.

Best alternatives for your last Sloggerless Mauler slot would be FTK or Thief, but remember this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Playing Taurean Mauler and not Arc-Slogger is a mistake. Mauler's more consistent. Mauler's solid. Mauler won't clog your hand. Mauler's never just awful. But Mauler doesn't win you near the games Slogger will. When you end up staring down a freshly played 4/4 Knight of the Reliquary, Mauler's going to lose that race. Slogger can at least spend 20 cards to nuke the thing. Or 30 if it's a little bigger.
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Quote Originally Posted by NecroYawgmoth View Post

Revoker [while being a real good card] is not maindeckable IMO, because he doesn't fit good enough in the Aggro-role, and he also doesn't fit good enough in the "I win"-role [we didn't play Needles main in the past]

WHY Kher Keep? When does this card does something relevant?
    Hey guys, sorry I haven't been active on this new thread. As for my testing right now, revoker is still quite efficient in MD, but I can understand if people choose SB instead. My mentality is that DS has lockpieces and aggro piecs. Although a creature, I just view revoker as a lockpiece w/ the luxury of attacking sometimes :)

As for kher keep, I tried that a while ago with Goblin assault and a hefty amount of artifact (like 4-6). It was a jank list, but the times it worked were priceless. I basically threw bodies equipped withh jitte's/swords all day. Does it kinda work/ has a purpose? Yea. Do I think it's really competitive? Not really. The tokens can always be worked around, and it's stopped once u go for moons.

Quote Originally Posted by mercs View Post
    Hey guys, sorry I haven't been active on this new thread. As for my testing right now, revoker is still quite efficient in MD, but I can understand if people choose SB instead. My mentality is that DS has lockpieces and aggro piecs. Although a creature, I just view revoker as a lockpiece w/ the luxury of attacking sometimes :)
    I always thought the lockpieces of Dragon Stompy are proactive and not reactive.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Tyon View Post
    I always thought the lockpieces of Dragon Stompy are proactive and not reactive.
    They are. When you sit down across from someone you can gauge their plays and attempt to see what their are playing within the first 1-2 turns. Sometimes it's super obvious, sometimes it isn't, but this will end up playing the same way as Cabal therapy really... A calculated risk that can pay huge dividends.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyon View Post
    Yes, So far all of our locks are proactive, but I don't think there's a problem with having reactive lock pieces as well. Needles have always been a valued asset for dragon stompy even w/ the anti-synegy. Stax also added reactive components in their addition of oblivion ring back in the day.

Plus, the better you get to understand your meta/opponents, this pretty much becomes proactive. Esp. against Taxes, MUD, and tribal, Moons and trini's might not do enough, so you can really help hold down the fort with good revokers.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Anyone attempting to try a hybrid between dragon stompy and meandeck MUD? IMO Kudoltha forgemaster seems like the I win now card that dragon stompy lacks, giving dragon stompy a "combo" finish. We can't support metalworker, but we can play great furnaces, chrome mox, trinis, challice and lots of other cheap artifacts. We also have seething song-mana monkey for accel that MUD does not have. A sample list:

4 Chalice
    4 Trinisphere/Koth/Lodestone Golem
    4 Revoker

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Seething Song
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Kudoltha Forgemaster
    1 Myr Battlesphere
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Steel hellkite
    3 Wurmcoil

4 City
    4 Tomb
    6 Mountains
    4 Great Furnace

The main question of course is this consistent? I have no idea, but I'm gonna test it. The problem with dragon stompy from my experience was the lack of pure power. The strongest card for the deck was the mighty slogger. But with tarmos and KOTRs, you run out of library just to kill 1 fatty. Also slogger was double red, which is a pain. If you run Kudoltha forgemasters and robots, you don't have to worry about the double red issue and you gain an I win now card in Mr Tinker. Also you can hard cast robots like steel hellkite and wurmcoil easily. IMO wurmcoil and hellkite -> slogger as they are splashier and board changing. Is this jank? No idea, but I'm just throwing this out there.

BTW koth could be another robot-powerer, but he doesnt play friendly with great furnace. Does great furnace count as an artifact when it is under moon? If I'm not mistaken, its still an artifact right?
    Last edited by ivanpei; 02-14-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Anyone attempting to try a hybrid between dragon stompy and meandeck MUD? IMO Kudoltha forgemaster seems like the I win now card that dragon stompy lacks, giving dragon stompy a "combo" finish. We can't support metalworker, but we can play great furnaces, chrome mox, trinis, challice and lots of other cheap artifacts. We also have seething song-mana monkey for accel that MUD does not have. A sample list:

4 Chalice
    4 Trinisphere/Koth/Lodestone Golem
    4 Revoker

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Seething Song
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Kudoltha Forgemaster
    1 Myr Battlesphere
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Steel hellkite
    3 Wurmcoil

4 City
    4 Tomb
    6 Mountains
    4 Great Furnace

The main question of course is this consistent? I have no idea, but I'm gonna test it. The problem with dragon stompy from my experience was the lack of pure power. The strongest card for the deck was the mighty slogger. But with tarmos and KOTRs, you run out of library just to kill 1 fatty. Also slogger was double red, which is a pain. If you run Kudoltha forgemasters and robots, you don't have to worry about the double red issue and you gain an I win now card in Mr Tinker. Also you can hard cast robots like steel hellkite and wurmcoil easily. IMO wurmcoil and hellkite -> slogger as they are splashier and board changing. Is this jank? No idea, but I'm just throwing this out there.

BTW koth could be another robot-powerer, but he doesnt play friendly with great furnace. Does great furnace count as an artifact when it is under moon? If I'm not mistaken, its still an artifact right?
    I tried a hybrid, but it comes out kind of awkward and clunky. U definitely need welder, metalworker and Monolith to power these guys out. Seething Song is nice, but not on the same level as monolith.

The way the math works is that 3 mana off lands/mox/ssg is consistent with stompy, 4 mana is pushing it, and 5 mana is rare to come out fast enough. With Song, u can hit 5 mana reasonably, but not 6 whereas monolith/metalworker can get u there the turn after u hit 2/3 mana.

This is why 3/4/5 have been the special numbers for threats. We've already had Chandra Ablaze, inferno titan, and a plethora of semi-OP dragons to choose from in red, but the moment something hits 6cc for DS, you really have to question it's right to be there. The only exception that's ever been maid reasonably came from a creature that had flying, trample, pro UW, uncounterablility, firebreathing, and morph.

If you get these 6cc's to work somehow though, that'd be great. It'd definitely open new doors for DS.
    (and yes, great furnace would be artifact-mountain)

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Played 4-1 with this list in a tournament yesterday:

4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Arc-Slogger
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Seething Song
    3 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Snow-Covered Mountain

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

2-1 against Dredge: lost 1st game, won 2nd game due to Double Pit-Dragon and baaad combatmath from my opponent, won 3rd game with 1st Turn Trini, 2nd turn Magus, 3rd Turn revoker, 4 Turn Crypt, he scooped

1-2 against Merfolk: lost first game because I had not enough critter, won 2nd game due to Tomb->Revoker->Vial, and his hand was like 3 Wastelands + Vial, 3rd game he killed me with nothing than a Cursecatcher and a Mutavault, because I was a bit manascrewed and he had like infinite counters -.-

2-0 against U-W-B Landstill / CABJace: Don't know because I won without seeing anything but lands and counters. G1 Mountain -> SSG -> SSG -> Magus -> resolved -> Win. G2 I started with this hand: Mountain, Mox, Slogger, Tomb, Moon, Moon, Magus. First turn Moon got FoWed, second Turn Moon got Counterspelled, 3rd Turn Magus resolved -> Win

2-0 against Canadian Thresh: He started with fetchland->Go, I attempted 1st-turn Trini but got FoWed, He played Tarmogoyf, I played a Moon and it resolved. Goyf bashed my Koth, later on, and then my life down to 6, than he lost his Goyf due to bad Combatmath and double striking Hellbent Dragon [I lost my Dragon also]. He had nothing on the Board, and I a Moon... He Fire/Iced me to 4, I resolved a CotV1, than I drew Mox,Mox,Mox,City,City, SSG. SSG resolved and bashed him from 14 down to 4, then I resolved a CotV 2 and he scooped... Don't remember the 2nd game exactly... he started with Mongoose, I resolved a Moon somewhere in the game, and won with Hellbent Gathans and RPD.

2-0 against Dark Thresh: I opened with Trini -> FoWed, 2nd Turn Moon -> Win. G2, 1st Turn Trini -> Daze, 2nd Turn Moon -> Blue Elemental Blast, 3rd turn Moon -> Win

6th Place... looks like a miserable Opp-Score

All in all I can say that Revoker is better than Needle, because he actually can swing. The only relevant thing he cannot name is Cephalid Coliseum, but that wasn't needed.

Had a lot of fun to play that deck again on tourneys.

PROPS:
    -> got a playset foil RPDs
    -> Blood Moon were the MVP, Always play 8 XD
    -> Revoker is better than Needle

SLOPS:
    -> lost against Merfolk [as usual]
    -> Slogger for doing nothing except being a imprint target
    -> being mega-tired for the whole Tourney
    Last edited by NecroYawgmoth; 02-15-2011 at 02:28 AM.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Quote Originally Posted by NecroYawgmoth View Post
    Played 4-1 with this list in a tournament yesterday:
    Good Job! Btw, How did Koth and ratchet bomb fair in your games?

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Koth is good... He is the next best thing after RPD, Gathans, Magus & SSG [yep, in my opinion he has even more impact than Slogger] A resolved Koth-Emblem is nearly equal to a win [A Koth on an empty field too, but so is Slogger]

He didn't do anything in the Tourney except dying from a 5/6 Goyf, which means he was never really useful [but I won that game with 4 life, so maybe it's relevant XD]. ...on the other side Slogger also done nothing on the Torney

I saw Koth 1 time, and Slogger 2 times, an both times Slogger was the imprint target of choice.

Ratchet Bomb is simply the better Keg
    I only boarded it against Dredge and Folk, which means it would had the same impact as Keg would had in this situation. But its better against Enchantress and the like [god beware that I play against it].

The only thing that annoys me is Jitte in the board... I'd like to fit 2-3 in the main, but can't imagine to cut anything for it except maybe 1 Slogger =(
    13/13

Mayhaps moving 1 trinisphere and 1 bloodmoon to the board and moving two jitte to the main?

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

Blood Moon has value in nearly every MU in some way or the other, so I wouldn't suggesting cutting those. 3sphere you can justify a little bit more since they are poor in multiples, annoying topdecks late-game, and do next to nothing against one of the more annoying MU's for us: Merfolk.

I've had fairly good success not running Slogger (currently running Lord of Shatterskull Pass) but I know many people are reluctant to give him up, so what I would suggest is perhaps:

-1 Slogger, -1 Koth, -1 3sphere
    + 3 Jitte

With all 3 of the removed cards you don't want to see doubles, so I think keeping them sitting at 2 is perfectly fine. Jitte, contrariwise, is something I rarely mind seeing multiples off since it is typically the #1 target for opponents, so having a replacement for a recently destroyed one is definitely useful.

As a general note to all DS players, if you haven't already I would definitely suggest trading out our Needle's for Phyrexian Revoker. It hits all the same relevant cards, its above 1cc, and it's an extra body. Definitely a more viable card for our deck.

Forlorn Egoist

Hey, does anyone have any good stoneforge mystic tech outside of common artifact hate ( shattering spree, NR, revoker, ignot chewer etc.) Thx.

PS. Please don't say unforge :P

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Koth seems like it has the most potential out of the semi-playable cards that have been recently released. Talking about stuff like Koth, Hero of Oxid Ridge, Revoker, etc.

Necro, how much have you been playing with Koth and what are your impressions?

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

I don't like Hero of the Oxid Ridge... I don't see where it should be anywhere good in DS [neither I see it to be good in any Legacy deck, Battle Cry is shitty]

Phyrexian Revoker is awesome =D. ->awesome awesome awesome<- I like this guy, and I replaced my Needles with it, I never regretted it so far.

Koth is the next best thing after RPD / Gathans / Magus IMO [like stated above]. Sometimes you need to protect him for a turn, but it's always worth it. The only MUS where he doenst shine are Goblins and Merfolk so far... Only problem I have with Koth is that he isn't THAT good, if you have at least 1 other creature. Koth is better than Mauler / Sulfur / RAkroma, and possibly better than the level-up dudes [cant say that for sure -> I always played them WITH Koth together, because they synergize very well with Koth]
    13/13

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

doubleposting but there is a short DS-review on starcity, so I post it...

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...nd_Profit.html

I cant understand how to play only 3 Gathans and 3 RPDs for SoB&M, but okay... discuss?
    13/13

Why don't use Avatar of Discord?

Feb 2008
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by bganns View Post
    Why don't use Avatar of Discord?
    Why would we use it for D stompy?

We want to use Ancient Tomb/City of Traitors to get it stuff out a turn or two earlier, so we want to run 2R crits, not hybrid R/B cards which a crappy drawback that won't be useful until we have Gathan Raiders in play.
    My fave decks to run:
    Death & Taxes
    The Rock
    Aggro Loam
    Mono Blue Control
    Enchantress

Thread Information