Page 33 of 197 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

Re: Dragon Stompy

Even considering my highly aggro meta if I were to play it in a larger, unknown meta I would still most likely opt to keep the Revokers in the SB. The reason for this is that DS can easily steal a good majority of Game 1's simply because most decks are ill-equipped to deal with our disruption package of 4 CotV/4 3sphere/8 Moon effects. All of these are universal forms of disruption whereas Revoker is more of a precision-based disruption. Albeit it can be an allstar against control/combo but as it is we already have a decent MU against decks such as these. An issue I've had when MDing Revoker is that it required me to sacrifice creature density for added disruption which, especially when used against bad MU's such as Goblins/Merfolk, gave them adequate time to recover and steal back the victory. TBH Revoker has enough targets in Legacy where its perfectly reasonable to keep him in the MD. The question you just have to answer yourself is if your more comfortable packing greater aggression Game 1 (such as me) or more disruption.

Whether in MD or SB Revoker is an incredible addition for the deck. I'm just of the opinion that, just like his predecessor Pithing Needle, a superfluity of targets does not warrant an addition MD. Remember that SB's exist so as to offer you a chance to improve the MU and answer your opponents cards. Revoker, like Needle, has dozens of cards it can answer but a SB Revoker allows you to ask whether such cards need to be answered or if current/other disruption is better. Of course everyone (including myself) can provide a scenario where MD Revoker saved them the game, but its also important to give equal attention to all the games where you drew a Revoker only to not play it, or to play it simply to have a blocker, or where you named it on cards that were irrelevant against you.

Like I said, it just boils down to preference.

Forlorn Egoist
    Last edited by ForlornEgoist; 07-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.
    Step 2) Throw said 7 cards onto the table while making a "BLAH!" sound.
    Step 3) Hold up hands quizically and ask: "Do I win?"

Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock
    UG Madness/Thresh (Pauper)

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Played in Iserlohn last week [61 players], placed 18th... finished 4-2, lost the first two rounds.

0-2 NO-RUG
    0-2 Team America [both games mulliganing to 5, additionaly red manascrew G1, Jace TMS G2]
    2-0 Affinity
    2-1 Goblins
    2-0 Dredge
    2-0 Team America

My list was the following:

Screw
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

Beats
    4 Moltensteel Dragon
    3 Arc-Slogger
    3 Flametongue Kavu

Mana
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Crystal Vein
    8 Snow-Covered Mountain

//Sideboard
    4 Volcanic Fallout
    3 Shattering Spree
    2 Anarchy
    2 Slagstorm
    1 Flametongue Kavu
    3 Tormod's Crypt

Not much of a report, because I am too lazy, and I think I have nothing to optimize at my build atm. Maybe I kick the Veins again, maybe not. [70%yes] I am playing a White Chalice Aggro version atm anyways, because there I can actually play GOOD creatures. Still hoping that Innistrad will print something good for this deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Quote Originally Posted by NecroYawgmoth View Post
    Played in Iserlohn last week [61 players], placed 18th... finished 4-2, lost the first two rounds.

0-2 NO-RUG
    0-2 Team America [both games mulliganing to 5, additionaly red manascrew G1, Jace TMS G2]
    2-0 Affinity
    2-1 Goblins
    2-0 Dredge
    2-0 Team America

My list was the following:

Screw
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

Beats
    4 Moltensteel Dragon
    3 Arc-Slogger
    3 Flametongue Kavu

Mana
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Crystal Vein
    8 Snow-Covered Mountain

//Sideboard
    4 Volcanic Fallout
    3 Shattering Spree
    2 Anarchy
    2 Slagstorm
    1 Flametongue Kavu
    3 Tormod's Crypt

Not much of a report, because I am too lazy, and I think I have nothing to optimize at my build atm. Maybe I kick the Veins again, maybe not. [70%yes] I am playing a White Chalice Aggro version atm anyways, because there I can actually play GOOD creatures. Still hoping that Innistrad will print something good for this deck.
    Congrats on your placement.

The good news is that with that list, I feel you could have won the NO-RUG and Team America matches. Fantastic!

Are you able to elaborate on the Dredge match at all? The crypts just get there? As a Dredge player as well, I'm surprised to hear the crypts have been enough.

Was the decision to run slogger and FTK come just because there were a lot of people so you expected to play lots of merfolk/tribal/agro?

I think your results are really promising for folks who like this deck but have always wished they could play non-Hellbent while still primarily being Red versus Brown.

Congrats again,

I just re-read some of the opening post.
    It seems to dismiss Priest of Urabrask. I suggest a third look or for other players to comment on their experiences with it. It's fair to say that it is probably a lot worse in a deck without equipment.

Does anyone else have more to say about Priest of Urabrask? I have been really impressed with it since the moment I started testing and running it.
    I play Hellbent and found that it helps my consistency, which the Hellbent list suffers from perhaps more than other lists. Not so good for non-Hellbent lists?

Thoughts?

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Of course I could have won, I mean... ...it's me =D -> Team America isn't even a bad MU imo... But you know that random-inconstance-issues this deck has.

About Dredge: I don't find that MU that hard. We have quad Trinisphere which prevents them playing spells, also Chalice against Breaktrough, Study and all permanent outlets, additionally Revoker to stop these discard outlets, and 8 moons to kill their mana production. I played only 2 Crypts in the past, and just 2-0ed Dredge [post 575 for report]. Most of the Dredge players aren't that good, and can't handle all that stuff that DS already has main. Also I am a kinda experienced Dredge-Player and know how to hate the deck ;)

Slogger is there because the build needs to loke more aggroish and fast killing without hellbent. Slogger removes some of he opponents interactions. They can't simply drop that utility-creature, and they must alway be aware of Quad-Shock you, you're dead. Next card you drew would've been removal?...too bad.

FTK is just because I am rather disapointed with Shatterskull as he is too manahungry, and I just wanted something that can possibly kill early Goyfs, Merfolks or other annoying stuff. He just seems to be the best choice outside Hellbent-Critters. Even if he 2 for 1s, he gives that deck some kind of card advantage, which is huge for a deck with actual no card advantage. =P

About OP-Post: Well It's kinda huge [even MUs are missing, but I have no desire/motivation to do it], and stuff I have written is personal experience, and I also PMed with other Sourcers and stuff, so it's the colaborate opinion mixed with personal testings. If you like Priest, feel free to test him, but he seems only good in an equipment 4+ build for me, and I have no space for Equipments or a creature with actually no abilities. Also consider, that we already play 12 2/2 or 2/1 creatures [Magus, SSG, Revoker].
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

How have the 4 Moltensteels been? Although I seem to be part of the ever-thinning field of players who thinks Shatterskull is amazing my thought when dropping him has always been "Great, I can now negate their 'Goyf/Merfolk," rather than "Aw snapz, I win now," which is what a beater should be for this deck. Moltensteel, however, each and every time I've resolved him thus far has warranted the 2nd reaction, particularly with Jitte equip. *swoons* Of course, I swoon at any creature in this deck with a Jitte equip, but thats beside the point.

Has the 4-of been detrimental to you, or have you found that maximizing the chances of drawing 1 has been worth the risk of drawing a 2nd and not being able to cast it?

P.S. I've been testing Aether Flash to tribal aggro and am having mostly poor results thus far. In general the problem I've found is that if I can resolve it T1-3 (sometimes 4) it becomes an auto-win. Any later and it becomes more and more dead. Against Goblins because they lack Lords its fine to cast later but Merfolk gets a Lord on the field at absolute latest T3 which is enough to negate Flash. Albeit Flash has proven somewhat effective against other decks, but not enough that I would really say its worth it over more traditional mass removal. I plan on doing some real-life tourney tests this coming Tues. rather than goldfish and Station. I'll get back to you on my results.

Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.

Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock

Recently, I've been testing a slightly changed DS: cutting trinis for revokers. As I don't see a combo-oriented metagame, the reasoning behind this decision is what everyone thinks about trini, that is a lousy card in a mid-late game, and useless in numbers. This obligues to put 3/4 in MD so you can play it T1 or T2.

Revoker (though I was never convinced about playing them before) on the other hand is, at least, a 2/1 that carries equip. The testing I've done so far threw better results with this change.

I look forward for any opinion !!

The decklist:

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

Beats
    3 Moltensteel Dragon
    3 LoSP
    4 Flametongue Kavu

2 Umezawa's jitte
    3 SoBaM

Mana
    3 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

Okay, so I just wrote out this uber long post but I had to hit the back tab like a champ so I'm going to summarize since I don't have the patience to rewrite:

Went 0-4 tonight (Elves/Thresh/D&T/Stax) and I had some serious reconsiderations for the deck. Firstly, here was the list I played:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Seething Song

2 Blood Moon

2 Taurean Mauler
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Flametongue Kavu
    3 Lord of Shatterskull Pass
    2 Moltensteel Dragon
    3 Arc Slogger

3 Shattering Spree
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Taurean Mauler
    2 Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs

I went in expecting tribal, which I found, but unfortunately I had such an epic fail tonight that I didn't get to face any of them. Here are the changes I made after playing tonight:

-2 Mauler -3 Slogger +2 Batterskull +1 Moltensteel +1 Blood Moon +1 Lord of S/P
    -4 Fallout -2 Mauler +3 Anarchy +3 Silent Arbiter

Now, onto my observations as per this deck.

Something I'm beginning to notice with more aggressive metas is that Moon effects are beginning to feel as if they've fallen out of favor. Although this deck has some amazing strengths and can recover
    from Moon, on occassion I have found myself struggling to choose between screwing an opponents mana base and hoping to topdeck mana of my own, or to not cast the Moon so as to retain the ability to cast my higher cc spells. Unlike the Hellbent version I/we run a much higher avg. cc (3R/3RR/4PP/etc.) and have begun to move away from the 2R curve Hellbent has tried to focus on.

It pains me to remove such a solid lock piece but I am currently considering testing the more artifact-heavy build of this deck. When I look at all the times I have been screwed because of mana I cringe. We have a solid suite of artifact cards to choose from, and with the printing of Moltensteel I think it might be viable.

I haven't done much research on this build, so I'm mostly pulling this from scratch. Suggestions appreciated. Again, like I said, I'm attempting a non-Moon build, so if you're going to offer suggestions please keep this in mind. Also, although I will welcome critique or arguments for Moon effects I would appreciate it if you avoid flamming me about such. I have played this deck for several years and have helped a fair amount with this thread so I understand the strengths of Moon quite adequately. I'm just trying to develop a new possible evolution of the deck that might remove some inconsistencies.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Great Furnace
    6-8 Mountain

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Mox Opal
    3 Batterskull
    0-2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Seething Song

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2-4 Etched Champion
    0-4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Silent Arbiter
    3-4 Moltensteel Dragon
    4 Covetous Dragon

Like I said, its a very rough first draft. Since this list can more readily cast Batterskull/Covetous I consider Lord of Shatterskull Pass to be unnecessary. In this list I also consider FTK to be moot with the 4 MD Arbiter to limit their attacking abilities as well as the 8 fliers/Pro-color Champion although burn may be SB material.

Trinisphere > Lodestone in this instance because I'm already curving up pretty high and that extra 1 on the Lodestone would most likely put Covetous/Batterskull into the the "uncastable," range for most of the game.

The Jittes could easily become any equipment. I'm fond of its utility however SoBaM or SoWaP may be preferrable.

Anyway, yeah, this is a start. Hopefully we can make me feel less emo about the prospects of this deck (esp. since I've foiled mine out :P).

Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.

Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock

sorry for the bad luck! from my testing, LoSP and mauler aren't that good unless they're in a no song and/or no trini list where you keep your threat count high (i think i wrote 16+ last time) that way, stoneforge becomes easier. tribal definitely does get weaker that way though, so those 2 creatures prob arent best for ur meta. hope ur new list goes well! what type of meta do you think will be best for it?

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

ouch... 0-4 is kinda bad... I am sorry for you =(

Well... I think the Moon-effects are the last things you want to cut. They are the only thing that keeps this somehow dead deck alive, because Dragon Stompy relies on its auto-win cards. If you remove them, you could just play another colored Chalice Aggro, with better creatures. Green has Order->Progenitus, Tarmogoyf, Thrun, Garruk - White has Baneslayer Angel, Mirran Crusader, Stoneforge, Elspeth for example.

The question is: What has red Stompy to offer when you don't play Moons? Maybe I am forgetting something, and you can enlighten me here, but I don't see anything... =(
    13/13

Yeah that's too bad.
    He did say that he wanted to take the deck in an artifact direction. It's interesting. It looks like even in a seething song list that the curve seems a little high with the 4 covetous, 3 batterskull, 4 arbiter, 3-4 moltensteel. Although, you did say that you wanted to improve mana consistency and your list might address that.

I also feel that etched champion can be an mvp but batterskull aside he works best with cranial plating or other. I don't feel you can seriously consider batterskull as something to equip so with two champion and only two other equipment I'm questioning it.
    I'm curious to hear how it works out, but since I'm a much different DS player so I'm looking forward to hearing about your success. Good luck with it.

What's funny is that I'm finding that Legacy gets hurt badly by Moon effects right now. With this deck, perhaps you win some and you lose some. We'd all love to see the deck become more consistent but it's one of the risks that comes with running it in its current states in my opinion. At least post board it can be possible to improve the matchups that aren't hurt by moon. Matchups that are hurt by moon are often an auto-win like necroyawg said.

Dragon Stompy is not the only deck that has so many different experimental directions, experiences cyclical periods of the same information being rehashed and retried, or feelings of stagnation in development.

I'm very excited to continue working on and using this deck (can't wait to see what they print next actually). Although, I do feel that it can currently be very successful.

I imagine a ven diagram. Cards that win the game fast or enable a fast win or furthering of the gameplan which is screw and win, cards that almost always win the game when resolved, and cards that are effective against most decks in the format. If it doesn't fall into one of those categories, maybe there's a better card for that slot (cards like Magus of the Moon might fall into the part of the diagram that is a mix of almost always wins when resolved against the right deck - welcome to Dragon Stompy - and cards that are effective against most decks in the format).
    When boarding, you take out the cards that are least effective against the opponent and bring in cards that have the same effect and take out ones that are now dead. Sounds like common sense but envisioning the puzzle can make decisions easier (what cards in my deck are fantastic against which matchups? Which matchups are these cards dead or extremely weak? What cards can I bring in from the board to severely hurt my opponent's deck and which can I can take out?). These are the basics of the deck. As better cards are printed and the format grows in popularity, Dragon Stompy is becomes more of a archetype hater than a metagame hater. Focus on always being able to assemble a list of 60 between main and board that can disarm a various strategy as best as possible.
    This kind of thinking is essential if you're going to pilot this deck.

I'm still no fan of the Flametongue Kavu.
    I had tested them and never could remove anything with this.

My equipment of choice is Sword of Vengeance.
    Sounds a bit nuts but is nice to get your creatures pumped.
    Mostly DS loses because it has no evasion and your creatures run against the next goofy.
    Works also nice with your mauler when it has become a beast. ;P

My list at the moment:

10 mountain
    4 city of traitors
    4 ancient tomb
    4 Magus of the Moon
    2 Moltensteel Dragon
    4 Gathan Raiders
    3 Arc Slogger
    3 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    3 Taurean Mauler
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Sword of Vengeance
    2 Blood Moon
    4 Seething Song

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

Hm, Sword of Vengeance doesn't sound too bad. Albeit it doesn't have lifelink like Batterskull but it also doesn't require a Song to cast. I may consider testing it.

Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.

Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock

I'm highly against Batterskull.
    In my decklist I want hellbent, which is hard to reach when I try to play a 4/4 creature for 5 mana.
    He is overrated.
    The Sword has nearly everything you want. StP and other spotremoval aren't your problem (chalice) so protection is only needed as evasion. The sword gives your creature more than just one evasion effect.
    And with vigilance you can even block, what is quit a problem sometimes, that you haven't any blockers.

2 Cards of question
    1.Dismember
    I assume flametongue kavu is used in this slot? I am just sort of in aw of the power of this spell. I wonder how often the extra toughness comes into play. It can also be used as combat tricks.

2. Grafted Wargear
    After the initial investment you don't have to pay anymore. It will turn something as lowly as Gathan Raiders into a goyf slayer. The prospect of having a 7/6 Moltensteel on turn 2 is pretty awesome.

Well I have a tournament Result so I will double post since this is new content.
    Went 3-2 in my first legacy tourney ever. Just short of the top 8 in a 24 man tourney
    First off the deck

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Gathan Raiders
    3 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    2 Moltensteel Dragon
    2 Arc-Slogger

4 Flametongue Kavu
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Red Elemental Blast

Match 1: Celaphid Bfast
    Game 1: Lead in with moon and trini effects. He plays Cephalid Illusionist but I don't exactly know what hes playing. I beat him before he can combo off

Side in -nothing
    Game 2:Failing to side in anything proved deadly as he pulled his combo off when I had him at 1 life. I was too cautious in attacking with a magus of the moon and that cost me the game

Side in- Revokers and Tormods
    Side Out-Some creatures and some moon effects.
    Game 3: He combos off turn like 3. He managed to get more basics then I thought so a trini just made him delay his combo a bit
    1-2

Match 2: Elfball
    Game 1: He combos off with no trouble. I think I lead in t1 Blood moon and he goes t1 forest lanowar. It makes me sad.

Side in - 4X Revoker 4X Flametongue
    Side out - Moon Effects

Game 2: I hose him with Chalice and beat with a songed slogger.

Game 3:In what will be my favorite win of the day he manages to get some elfs out and then plays Summoner's Pact. I plop a revoker down naming the elfs he needs to use to pay for the pact and loses.

2-1

Match 3:Folk A)
    Game 1: Again I drop like a first turn moon smiling. He drops island curse catcher go. I staked way too much on the moon and promptly get beat to death.

Sideboard in - 3X Red Elemental Blasts 4X Flametongue
    Sideboard out - Moon effects

Game 2: some early creatures deal some damage. He swings with a coralhelm knocking me down to like 10 and I swing back with an unanwsered Rakdos pit dragon I get in for 14 with a song.

Game 3: Usual back and forth. I run out of cards to slog a leveled coralhelm to death. Im sitting on 1 health with a flametongue and slogger out. I have 18 cards in library and he is at 10 with a mutavault to block and coralhelm for the win. I fold and I am sad.

1-2

Match 4: Hive Mind?
    Game 1: Mull to 5 and sadly lead with a magus of the moon. I get out a trini and some chalices and he is never able to find the pieces. I beat him to death with 2 magus of the moons.

Side out 3 Blood Moon
    Side in 3 Red Elemental Blast

Game 2: I get more chalices and again he just never plays show and tell. Dunno If he realizes he can play pacts into chalice and still win but hey.

2-0

Match 5: Merfolk
    Game 1: Very similar to Match 3 except I win. I lead with a moon and /cry when he goes Island lulz.

Game 2: Surprisingly he runs some standstills and gets 2 off. I get buried in CA and die

Out like 3 random creatures
    In 3 Revokers for Vial

Game 3:He keeps a hand with 2 mutavaults and a wasteland. Somehow the one magus I left in my deck shows up and some how I put the hurt on.

2-1

So not bad for my first turn out.
    General things
    - Of course 4 out of 5 decks I play are mono colored. Where was the junk and zoo?
    - it was a great time and I love legacy.
    - Merfolk is fun to play against with stompy. Its never a blowout one way or the other.

Creature Review
    Arc-slogger was a god. When I drew him against the tribal matchups he blew up faces shoulda packed 3

Moltensteel never really saw too much play. He got countered when I tried to play @4 which hurt but it was against

Lord of shatterskull appeared once in the whole tourney to a "What even is that card?" before getting promptly dismembered in a merfolk matchup. Wish I saw him more so I could evaluate better

Rakdos Pit Dragon - He was bomby when he needed to be. I honestly would NOT run him without the gathan raiders.

Gathan Raiders- Never wowed me but were a solid card.

Sideboard Review
    Red Elemental Blasts I faced a lot of blue so these were used a bunch. Wish I had brought my 4th

FTK - Great against a tribal match up....but that is already known. 4 was the right answer.

tormods - In the one match up I should have used it , it never came up. I went expecting dredge and reanimator and got neither. Dunno if "Have it and not need it" is better then "Need it but not have it" for these 4 slots.

Revoker. - I like this guy. He shuts off so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jancz View Post
    Well I have a tournament Result so I will double post since this is new content.
    Went 3-2 in my first legacy tourney ever. Just short of the top 8 in a 24 man tourney
    First off the deck

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Gathan Raiders
    3 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    2 Moltensteel Dragon
    2 Arc-Slogger

4 Flametongue Kavu
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Red Elemental Blast

Match 1: Celaphid Bfast
    Game 1: Lead in with moon and trini effects. He plays Cephalid Illusionist but I don't exactly know what hes playing. I beat him before he can combo off

Side in -nothing
    Game 2:Failing to side in anything proved deadly as he pulled his combo off when I had him at 1 life. I was too cautious in attacking with a magus of the moon and that cost me the game

Side in- Revokers and Tormods
    Side Out-Some creatures and some moon effects.
    Game 3: He combos off turn like 3. He managed to get more basics then I thought so a trini just made him delay his combo a bit
    1-2

Match 2: Elfball
    Game 1: He combos off with no trouble. I think I lead in t1 Blood moon and he goes t1 forest lanowar. It makes me sad.

Side in - 4X Revoker 4X Flametongue
    Side out - Moon Effects

Game 2: I hose him with Chalice and beat with a songed slogger.

Game 3:In what will be my favorite win of the day he manages to get some elfs out and then plays Summoner's Pact. I plop a revoker down naming the elfs he needs to use to pay for the pact and loses.

2-1

Match 3:Folk A)
    Game 1: Again I drop like a first turn moon smiling. He drops island curse catcher go. I staked way too much on the moon and promptly get beat to death.

Game 2: some early creatures deal some damage. He swings with a coralhelm knocking me down to like 10 and I swing back with an unanwsered Rakdos pit dragon I get in for 14 with a song.

Game 3: Usual back and forth. I run out of cards to slog a leveled coralhelm to death. Im sitting on 1 health with a flametongue and slogger out. I have 18 cards in library and he is at 10 with a mutavault to block and coralhelm for the win. I fold and I am sad.

1-2

Match 4: Hive Mind?
    Game 1: Mull to 5 and sadly lead with a magus of the moon. I get out a trini and some chalices and he is never able to find the pieces. I beat him to death with 2 magus of the moons.

Side out 3 Blood Moon
    Side in 3 Red Elemental Blast

Game 2: I get more chalices and again he just never plays show and tell. Dunno If he realizes he can play pacts into chalice and still win but hey.

2-0

Match 5: Merfolk
    Game 1: Very similar to Match 3 except I win. I lead with a moon and /cry when he goes Island lulz.

Game 2: Surprisingly he runs some standstills and gets 2 off. I get buried in CA and die

Out like 3 random creatures
    In 3 Revokers for Vial

Game 3:He keeps a hand with 2 mutavaults and a wasteland. Somehow the one magus I left in my deck shows up and some how I put the hurt on.

2-1

So not bad for my first turn out.
    General things
    - Of course 4 out of 5 decks I play are mono colored. Where was the junk and zoo?
    - it was a great time and I love legacy.
    - Merfolk is fun to play against with stompy. Its never a blowout one way or the other.

Creature Review
    Arc-slogger was a god. When I drew him against the tribal matchups he blew up faces shoulda packed 3

Moltensteel never really saw too much play. He got countered when I tried to play @4 which hurt but it was against

Lord of shatterskull appeared once in the whole tourney to a "What even is that card?" before getting promptly dismembered in a merfolk matchup. Wish I saw him more so I could evaluate better

Rakdos Pit Dragon - He was bomby when he needed to be. I honestly would NOT run him without the gathan raiders.

Gathan Raiders- Never wowed me but were a solid card.

Sideboard Review
    Red Elemental Blasts I faced a lot of blue so these were used a bunch. Wish I had brought my 4th

FTK - Great against a tribal match up....but that is already known. 4 was the right answer.

tormods - In the one match up I should have used it , it never came up. I went expecting dredge and reanimator and got neither. Dunno if "Have it and not need it" is better then "Need it but not have it" for these 4 slots.

Revoker. - I like this guy. He shuts off so much.
    Hey grats on your finish!
    It is exciting to know that you can perform even better with this deck if you get luckier with match ups and experience (so you would have top 8 if you attacked with a magus?).
    Your post is encouraging because I think it shows DS can have game against mono color.

It's also nice to see that sometimes Hive Mind doesn't just resolve show and tell and win. DS can race it which is important because there's not much else that can be done. :( Still seems like a tough match up.

Your tech against green pact was hi-larious.

Personally, I would try to find room for gravehate. Not having it definitely hurt me in my last tourney (although all meta are different, right?).

I have some questions. Assume you brought in all Kavu against merfolk? Did you then have 4 FTK, 2 arc slogger, 2 moltensteel dragon, 3 R:PD, and 3 lord of shatterskull pass? If so, 14 cards that were CMC4 or higher, did you ever feel like you were too stuffed with cards you couldn't cast (perhaps due to wasteland?)?
    Interested to hear your thoughts here.

After your elf game, I'm sure you're riding high on the Revoker utility. I also run a full set main deck and have never been unenthusiastic about its performance.
    For those decks running 2 or less, perhaps reconsider. It is pro against so much (learning to love the mana producing non-land targeting minus targeting lands - Revoker on LED is hot).

Quote Originally Posted by jancz View Post

Is this legal? I thought mana elves had mana abilities who were not influenced by Phyrexian Revoker...

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by SNEJ View Post
    Is this legal? I thought mana elves had mana abilities who were not influenced by Phyrexian Revoker...
    It's legal. Compare the text of Pithing Needle and Phyrexian Revoker. Look also at Cursed Totem, Damping Matrix, Null Rod and Linvala, Keeper of Silence.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by SNEJ View Post
    Well, what does the card say? Does it say that you can use mana abilities as normal?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Thread Information