Page 45 of 197 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Jaya Ballard, Task Mage might merit your consideration. She's proven to be a bit of a swiss army knife and helps Rakdos Pit Dragon. If we face Sneak-n-Show, is dropping a Chalice @ 3 or 4 the priority?
    Last edited by Entromancer; 10-14-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Apr 2011
    Catalunya - Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    I'm a card now.
    LOL I was too focused on searching a solution that didn't even think it was a witer, not a card! My apologies.

Speaking about Werewolves, the deck changes a lot, I tried that, as then a Seething Song is a bad card that flips your wolves back to normal, and you don't want that. So, if you wish to play 5CMC threats (the M13 dragon deserves it) don't go the Wolves route.

On Jaya, it has been pointed in several forums, maybe a 2nd and a 3rd slot can be a solution. Multiples belong to Moxes, so it's alright.
    A PRO doesn't draw, he tutors every turn.

JMLL

Has anyone considered [CARD]Mizzium Mortars[/CARD] as a good sweeper? Bonfire only seems good if we can Miracle it...or perhaps we should stick with our po'folks' Force of Will....aka [CARD]Pyrokinesis[/CARD]?

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Entromancer View Post
    Has anyone considered [CARD]Mizzium Mortars[/CARD] as a good sweeper? Bonfire only seems good if we can Miracle it...or perhaps we should stick with our po'folks' Force of Will....aka [CARD]Pyrokinesis[/CARD]?
    To do card tags you need [ c a r d s]Card Name[/c a r d s]. Basically, you formatted it right you just forgot the "s," at the end of "cards."

As for Mizzium Mortars the primary problem with it is that the Overload, ultimately, is uncastable for us unless we get unlucky enough to be mana flooded or equally unlucky to have the game drag out. If it were 5R I might be more considerate of the card but as it stands our deck has enough difficulties fixing RR, let alone ramping up into 6 mana precisely when needed. Take away its Overload and all you're left with is a mildly applicable removal spell.

Volcanic Fallout, Firespout, heck, even Breath of Darigaaz are all much more reasonable sweepers for us. As far as general removal is concerned, for most small creatures 3 is enough of which we have other choices.

Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.
    Step 2) Throw said 7 cards onto the table while making a "BLAH!" sound.
    Step 3) Hold up hands quizically and ask: "Do I win?"

Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock
    UG Madness/Thresh (Pauper)

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by ForlornEgoist View Post
    That made me smile.

Also, I've been playing around with the maindeck of my previous list a little and have been liking the look of this:

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    3x Trinisphere
    4x Flametongue Kavu
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Rakdos Pit Dragon
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    3x Thundermaw Hellkite
    4x Blood Moon
    3x Umezawa's Jitte
    4x Bonfire of the Damned
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    11x Mountain

I want to try cutting Seething Song and replacing it with Jittes and seeing how that plays, but I don't think that I want to use 4 Jittes right now, so I added in the 4th Blood Moon.

Dragon Stompy mid-late game

So, it's been a long time since I checked the thread, mainly due to a decrese in local Legacy tournaments :S

I'd like to post a list I'm trying to improve, going for more stability on mid-late games. Please feel free to comment!

Main:
    19 Lands:
    11 Mountain
    4 City of traitors
    4 Ancient tomb

16 Creatures:
    4 Magus of the moon
    4 Simian spirit guide
    3 Flametongue kavu
    3 Lodestone Golem
    2 Moltensteel dragon

5 Sorceries:
    3 Stone rain
    2 Burning wish

3 Instant:
    3 Chaos Warp

14 Artifacts:
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Trinisphere
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

3 Enchantments:
    3 Blood Moon

Sideboard:
    1x Last Chance
    1x Mizzium Mortars
    1x Boiling Seas
    3x Shattering Spree
    1x Pyroclasm
    1x Firespout
    1x Mark of Mutiny
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Blood Moon
    2x Anarchy

I realize there's some inconsistency between Lodestone and Trinis, but in the worst case scenario you'd still have a 5/3 beater for 4 mana with no effect below 3cmc non-artifact cards.
    On the other hand, I'd consider adding a 3rd Wish, but I'd like to improve the SD first. The reasoning behind putting two sweepers is the cmc, as you'd need 4 mana against 5 if you'd like to cast the wish and the sweeper on the same turn.

I've also considered Avalanche riders in the place of the Stone rains, but the latter improves your chances starting second and having no chalice no trinis.

Chaos Warp has proved to be really nice as far as i'm concerned, removing any threat for possibly nothing in return is something worth it... have you guys tried it?

Regards!

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

This is an interesting take on the deck. I like that the Wish package provides you with some flexibility, but I think that Stone Rain probably should be cut either for Thundermaw Hellkite or Bonfire of the Damned. Both cards are almost too good not to run.

The thing with the Hellkite is it almost demands a pack of Seething songs on the deck, and then it takes around 3/4 additional cards to play Hellkite.
    The Bonfire is just too expensive for me in Argentina to play... around $150 here. Perhaps for later :)

The stone rains are somewhat a concern on the deck, it's mostly a dead card on the mid game... but so is Trinisphere. I guess it's more of a commitment to continue rocking the first turns packing trinis, CotV, Stones and Sol lands.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Thundermaw does require at least 3 Seething Songs, but I've been liking them. They allow for some very explosive starts, which is something this deck is known for. Plus, you pretty much win when the dragon hits the battlefield every time.

Thundermaw is too good to overlook, from my experience. However, instead of Stone Rain, maybe Pillage? RR aside, it lets you hit Aether Vial.

I figured I would post my list on the dragon stompy thread for once and see what you guys thought.

4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Mishra's Factory
    6 Mountain

4 Mox diamond
    4 Grim monolith

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lodestone Golem
    3 Tangle Wire
    4 Magus of the moon
    1 Goblin Welder
    2 Godo Bandit Warlord

2 Batterskull
    1 Jitte
    1 Karn Liberated
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Phrexian Metamorph

SB
    2 Spine of Ish Sah (Sneak show) uw control?
    3 Phyrexian Revoker (Storm, Bant, Mavrick, more if I think about it)
    2 Cursed Totem (Mavrick, Bant)
    2 Relic of Progenitus (dredge, gy based stuff)
    1 Tormod's Crypt (storm,gy based stuff)
    3 Silent Arbiter (tribes, Ichorid)
    2 Impending Disaster (UW control, turbo eldrazi, lands)

I am thinking about replacing the welder and either a tanglewire or the Karn with Koth, but feel a little doubtful about supporting him manawise... 6 mountain+ 4 diamond and 4 magus.

I'd take any other comments too.

I just noticed on TheCouncil that someone did well at a 100 player tourney: http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...6&iddeck=69659

Personally I love the flavor of Akroma and Demigod of Revenge. If this deck configuration works well, I'd be curious how Deus of Calamity fits (my guess: not as good as Akroma or Demigod).

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

Overall I think the person performed well because they understood the meta. Notice that 4 decks in the T8 were Team America and 1 was Rock, both decks of which can be punished for greedy mana bases? Also to note was OmniTell which, given we have play, can be a superior MU for us? I think its a safe bet to say that many other decks in this given meta were of this variety.

The person's deck is designed to maximize the weaknesses of the meta. Creature recursion via Demigod/Kuldotha, 8 MD Moon effects helps to assure not only a decent lock against decks like TA but also lets the person play with only 2 Songs while still being able to afford RPD and Akroma.

Shatterstorm is a curious choice. I wonder if they were expecting to run into decks such as MUD.

The Pithing Needle are a nice selection. Most people prefer Phyrexian Revoker but there are times when having a difficult-to-remove lock can be relevant, not to mention those times when you might SB out Moon effects and still want the ability to nix lands. I presume, however, the priority target was SDT or Vial in most MU.

Props to the pilot of this deck for clearly understanding their meta. That having been said, there's nothing amazingly innovative about the list. The person did with this deck what you're supposed to: play it in a greedy meta. DS is an amazingly powerful deck if you play it in the right meta.

Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.
    Step 2) Throw said 7 cards onto the table while making a "BLAH!" sound.
    Step 3) Hold up hands quizically and ask: "Do I win?"

Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock
    UG Madness/Thresh (Pauper)

I have been having some luck with a werewolf variation on Zuppon's build. I'm having a hard time finding some City of Traitor(s) locally; is Crystal Vein an adequate substitution untill I can acquire the Cities?

Quote Originally Posted by ForlornEgoist View Post
    Overall I think the person performed well because they understood the meta. Notice that 4 decks in the T8 were Team America and 1 was Rock, both decks of which can be punished for greedy mana bases? Also to note was OmniTell which, given we have play, can be a superior MU for us? I think its a safe bet to say that many other decks in this given meta were of this variety.

The person's deck is designed to maximize the weaknesses of the meta. Creature recursion via Demigod/Kuldotha, 8 MD Moon effects helps to assure not only a decent lock against decks like TA but also lets the person play with only 2 Songs while still being able to afford RPD and Akroma.

Shatterstorm is a curious choice. I wonder if they were expecting to run into decks such as MUD.

The Pithing Needle are a nice selection. Most people prefer Phyrexian Revoker but there are times when having a difficult-to-remove lock can be relevant, not to mention those times when you might SB out Moon effects and still want the ability to nix lands. I presume, however, the priority target was SDT or Vial in most MU.

Props to the pilot of this deck for clearly understanding their meta. That having been said, there's nothing amazingly innovative about the list. The person did with this deck what you're supposed to: play it in a greedy meta. DS is an amazingly powerful deck if you play it in the right meta.

Forlorn Egoist
    Oh for sure DS is a meta game call (just like Burn). I just think that some of the choices are ones we haven't talked about in this thread in a long while, like Demigod, that are both cool and obviously did well for this pilot.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Guys...

What am I missing here?

I know that Bonfire is the nuts, and that it should be played at least 3 times, no question about that... but...

Thundermaw Hellkite?

Really...?

This is not Standard... ...and this is not Modern, where everyone and his mother is playing Lingering Souls.

Your argumention is that Thundermaw requires Seething Song. But if you do Seething Song into a critter turn 1 or 2 it's a all or nothing play.
    I can't see Thundermaw being THAT much better than Slogger or [insert other good cc5 R DS-relevant creature] in that situation. Haste is huge, but flinging 8 damage wherever you want is better.

Also: People should start to run 2-3 Sulfur Elementals. It is extremely useful against Maverick, and being an uncounterable dork that beats Lingering Souls better than Thundermaw isn't bad either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Jan 2010
    UK

sorry but...
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroYawgmoth View Post
    Guys...
    this is not Modern, where everyone and his mother is playing Lingering Souls.
    and...
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroYawgmoth View Post
    an uncounterable dork that beats Lingering Souls

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

I know what you trying to say here, and I know I used the wrong words, but still...

Lingering Souls gets much less played in Legacy than in Modern. Also Lingering Souls only gets played in counterheavy decks. Do you think you resolve Thundermaw easier than Sulfur against an counterheavy deck? Sulfur should be played alone for the fact that it tears up Maverick, which isn't an easy MU at all. The Souls-killing is just an positive side effect. You could argument that the "killing effect" of the Dragon is just an side-effect either, but would you run a vanilla 5/5 with flying and haste?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I don't play Thundermaw because of its ability to kill Lingering Souls. I play it because it's a 5/5 hasty flyer that guarantees you 5 damage. I feel that its tapping ability is so much better than its 1 damage ability. It clears the way for other dragons to bash in too, which can easily win you games. If your opponent is at 5 with a pair of blockers, Thundermaw wins you the game on the spot, where both Sulfur Elemental and Arc-Slogger will take at least another turn.

Sulfur Elemental is a great SB card, but even then I prefer to have Anarchy over it just because it's more devastating.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

The meta is looking ripe for Dragon Stompy.
    I took the following list to Redcap's Corner for the monthly Philadelphia Legacy Series.

Mana
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Cavern of Souls
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Others
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Bonfire of the Damned
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    3 Flametongue Kavu
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Koth of the Hammer

Sideboard
    3 Cave-In
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Cavern of Souls
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

This is a rather unimpressive report... Went 3-0-2 in a 23 player event. Durdled around in the top 8 and lost to myself =(
    Immediately I would remove the Leylines and Cave-Ins from my sideboard. They did nothing for me.

Round 1 - Kipp with U/W Stoneblade 2-1-0
    He took game 1. Game 2 I landed a Blood Moon turn 2 locking him into Islands and Mountains. Game 3 I land CotV@1 and he plays Stoneforge -> Batterskull. He gets as high as 32 life before my Pit Dragon starts doing some damage. Jitte helps me stabilize at 1 life and the Dragon gets the win.

Round 2 - Zach with Aggro Loam 2-1-0
    Deck check gave me game 1 cause he forgot to put a card on his sheet... Game 2 he wins because my only lane for several turns was an Ancient Tomb. I side out 3 Trini and a Bonfire for 4 Revokers. Game 3 Koth kept the damage coming through while Bonfire cleared his field.

Round 3 - Eric with OmniTell 2-0-0
    I clog the board with a Gathan Raiders, Jitte, and Pit Dragon before he Wishes for Show and Tell. He shows Emrakul and I show my other Pit Dragon. My turn I swing with everything. He blocked the Pit Dragon without the Jitte. I pumped the Dragon +3/+0 and then an additional +4/+4 after first strike which was enough for the W. Game 2 a Moon effect seemed to give him difficulties. A Pit Dragon pumped twice and a Gathan Raiders did 15 damage bringing him to 1. He drew his card and extended his hand.

Round 4 - Michael with Esperblade ID

Round 5 - Avery with Shardless BUG ID

Top 8
    Round 6 - Allen with 4 color Stoneblade 0-2-0
    Game 1 I landed a 3sphere which kept him from doing anything until turn 3... Game was lost after I played a Chalice@2 AFTER he resolved a Stoneforge -> Jitte. I top decked my Jitte but the Chalice kept me from playing it. Took out the 3spheres and a Bonfire for Revokers. Game 2 everything was going my way and after he mulled to 6 I bragged about how I had already won this game. I played an uncounterable Magus on turn 2 which left him with an island and mountains. Gathan Raiders came down. He tapped out for an Engineered Explosives for 3 and I answered with a Revoker. I lost when I attacked in with everything and he flashed a Snapcaster to block my Magus. I lost AGAIN when I failed to attack with my team when he was at 4 life and had 1 blocker...
    Oh well, assuming the meta stays like this for a while I'll have a chance to redeem myself.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 01-20-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Thread Information