Page 46 of 197 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Yeah all those DR Shaman decks with 0 basics just make me drool over T1 / 2 Blood Moons.

Jan 2010
    UK

how does single Koth/Caverns work for you?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Both were last second changes. I took out a FtK for Koth and swapped a Caverns in my board for a Trinisphere.

For future lists I would probably put the Caverns back in the board for a maindeck Mountain. Caverns was very relevant against FoW decks. I may drop the total number to 3.
    Koth was a test. I found myself with too many FtK and Trinispheres when playing out hands with my goldfish. Koth appeared 3 times in the event. He was countered twice and helped me win against Omnitell the other time. I'd say I'm happy with the single copy.

I'm going to be testing Price of Progress in the sideboard. Moon effects turn non-basic lands into Mountains, but they are still non-basic. Against control decks where games go long and they drop a land each turn, PoP might be the edge I need.

What does everyone think of Etched Champion? Metalcraft is not hard to achieve and he has been working really well for me.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Both were last second changes. I took out a FtK for Koth and swapped a Caverns in my board for a Trinisphere.

For future lists I would probably put the Caverns back in the board for a maindeck Mountain. Caverns was very relevant against FoW decks. I may drop the total number to 3.
    Koth was a test. I found myself with too many FtK and Trinispheres when playing out hands with my goldfish. Koth appeared 3 times in the event. He was countered twice and helped me win against Omnitell the other time. I'd say I'm happy with the single copy.

I'm going to be testing Price of Progress in the sideboard. Moon effects turn non-basic lands into Mountains, but they are still non-basic. Against control decks where games go long and they drop a land each turn, PoP might be the edge I need.
    Congrats Mike
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by TheStallion0192 View Post
    What does everyone think of Etched Champion? Metalcraft is not hard to achieve and he has been working really well for me.
    I loved Etched Champion the last time I did testing with this deck. I did also play a heavier Equipment build though (2 Batterskulls main on top of Swords + Jittes) to make Champion really scary. The list I was playing was less explosive than your normal DS lists due to lack of as many Chrome Moxes (I played 3 Chrome Mox, 2 Mox Opal) and no Seething Song, but I felt it was more consistent at throwing bombs until they stopped moving.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Congrats Mike
    Thanks Matt =)

@Stallion - A list would be helpful. I wouldn't recommend Etched Champion if your list is like mine because it needs a critical mass of red cards so Chrome Mox can be used. If you run a robot list like Esper3k does with Mox Opals instead of Chrome Mox I could see it being worthwhile.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I think this deck is a great meta choice, but i've been wanting to play with inferno titan and batter skulls. batter skulls are extremely good in this deck since it has the mana to power it effectively. the lifgain helps sooo much as well

Inferno titan is like a Ftk or Arc Slogger on steroids. Its not out of the decks casting cost and since the deck runs cotv to protect from lots of removal, a inferno titan usually means game. He kills multiple creatures upon casting and attack like death rite & bob, or thalia, mom, and noble. he really destroys menfolk and goblins too.

Aug 2012
    Vienna, Austria

In the last few days, I've been wondering how to help Dragon Stompy not to loose to itself that often. I've seen a Dragon Stompy List doing well in Germany (sorry, don't have any link) and the Mono-R Painter List from SCG with some interesting techs, so I wanted to talk about those:

Magma Jet
    Dangerous Wager

While Dragon Stompy can be extremely explosive, it mostly dies to bad Topdecks / well-placed Counterspells. Sometimes you can install all your lock pieces, but you don't draw an answer to the single creature your opponent has laid, and horribly die to it.
    Sometimes, you lay down your big Baddies, but they get removed immediately, because you couldn't get any of your lock pieces through.
    Sometimes, you're forced to imprint your only piece of Gas into a Chrome Mox, never drawing into any pressure again.
    Or, you've got your opponent under a Moon Effect, but he doesn't even care because he's got a Mana Dork out!

Helping the card draw could handle those problems, so I want to discuss those cards:

Magma Jet:

Spot Removal can solve the problems of the small creatures that can ruin your gameplan. MichaelP from MTGSalvation tried Incinerate, now I suggest Magma Jet. The difference between 2 or 3 Damage is, IMO, not that important. Just think about it - which Creatures are the most annoying ones for Dragon Stompy?
    I think they are Insectile Aberration, Deathrite Shaman, Noble Hierarch, Birds of Paradise, Stoneforge Mystic, Dark Confidant, and some others that didn't come to my Mind yet. Fact is, all these Creatures die to Magma Jet as easily as to Incinerate.
    BUT Magma Jet allows you to rearrange the Top 2 Cards of your Library! You can just put 2 useless Cards on the bottom of your Library, thus skipping those turns of bad draws!

IMO, this great advantage of Magma Jet outweights the 1 less Damage output by far.

Dangerous Wager:

Dragon Stompy (as every Mono-Red Deck) has a lack of Card Draw. It either goes all-in, or has many Dead cards in Hand. Either way, some card draw would not hurt. So why not abuse the nature of this Deck? Dangerous Wager lets you draw two new cards, at the price of loosing the cards you held in your hand before. If you ask me, that's a minor drawback, because you'll either throw away unnecessary hand cards, or you don't have any cards in Hand except Dangerous Wager!

IMO, this Card is pure Card Advantage! And something that Dragon Stompy has been waiting for so long!

Well, and I'd also have the Idea putting a few Cavern of Souls in - especially in Werewolf lists, where nearly all Creatures are Humans... However, Dangerous Wager and Magma Jet might not Synergize with either the Hellbent or with the Werewolf Creatures... I'm just testing a list with all my three Ideas, and Werewolves, but I think it's still far away from being elaborated.

Thoughts on these Ideas?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Khamul;700291

[Cards
    Magma Jet
    Dangerous Wager[/Cards]

Thoughts on these Ideas?
    these are pretty much dead ideas considering the deck needs to play cards with CMC 3+. Chalice is a great play on 1 and 2 and will always take priority to these cards... They don't do enough for you. Really if you wanted to take advantage of red card draw you could try to add 2-3 reforge the soul

Dangerous Wager is bad. I'd rather play a bomb creature instead. Magma jet can be pyrokinesis or pyroclasm in the sideboard.

I've been testing Hound of Griselbrand recently and he's been insane. Especially with the 2 jitte maindeck.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Great Furnace
    7 Mountain

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Chalice of the Void

4 Etched Champion
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Porcelain Legionnaire
    3 Flametongue Kavu

4 Blood Moon

3 Koth of the Hammer

2 Mizzium Mortars

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    I've been testing Hound of Griselbrand recently and he's been insane. Especially with the 2 jitte maindeck.
    This sounds interesting. I will have to try it out and see how he feels. There's an old list before M13 came out that used Lord of Shatterskull Pass as one of the main attackers, so maybe I'll dig that one up and swap them out for the dogs. I think I ran 4 Jittes in that deck though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    This sounds interesting. I will have to try it out and see how he feels. There's an old list before M13 came out that used Lord of Shatterskull Pass as one of the main attackers, so maybe I'll dig that one up and swap them out for the dogs. I think I ran 4 Jittes in that deck though.
    3R for a 3/3 and then an extra 1R for a 6/6 seems unimpressive. Although he's big, and stops goyf problems I find a double striker resistant (somewhat) to removal that isn't swords to be better, especially if you're running equipment.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    3R for a 3/3 and then an extra 1R for a 6/6 seems unimpressive. Although he's big, and stops goyf problems I find a double striker resistant (somewhat) to removal that isn't swords to be better, especially if you're running equipment.
    Well, LoSP wasn't the best card in the world, but he was a lot better than you'd probably think. I've had him hold Batterskulls and Goyfs at bay numerous times. My first impression of playing with the Hound has been positive though. He provides a real problem for rock style decks that rely on cards such as Abrupt Decay, Liliana, and Maelstrom Pulse.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by TheStallion0192 View Post
    cards
    You've only got 20 cards that can imprint on Chrome Mox! That hasn't been a problem for you?
    Otherwise your list looks like the Champion fits in.

I want to try out Thundermaw Hellkite as a 1 or 2 of. The hound having Undying is nice, but I'd prefer it if it was flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    You've only got 20 cards that can imprint on Chrome Mox! That hasn't been a problem for you?
    Otherwise your list looks like the Champion fits in.

I want to try out Thundermaw Hellkite as a 1 or 2 of. The hound having Undying is nice, but I'd prefer it if it was flying.
    Yea flying has been so good in this deck. Moltensteel dragon has been proving himself worthy. I only run 3 copies though, as I never want to see two of them and I can't pitch it to mox. Hound has been great against all the BUG running around.

What about Kargan dragonlord. I have been running him to pretty good success. If not answerd he gets out of controll very quickly.

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

Haven't played this deck for a while now but I feel with the BUG deck and the other greedy mana bases Legacy is all about that this might be the deck that catches people by surprise.

This is the list I will be testing in the next couple of weeks.

10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    2 Flametongue Kavu
    2 Thundermaw Hellkite
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Bonfire of the Damned
    2 Conch Horn
    2 Umezawa’s Jitte

Sideboard

3 Cave-In
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Cavern of Souls
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

Sideboard may vary.

Feel free to comment
    Last edited by Jelmerz77; 02-03-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Conch Horn? Interesting! I'm surprised you don't want something like that Scry 2 artifact from M12?

You can link cards with the "[cards]" tag.

Thread Information