Page 67 of 197 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by wooboy11 View Post
    @k0mmand3rka7

Congrats on your finish! As for the last player, he was playing Belcher, don't mind how they act: they're usually frustrated magic players.
    Maybe he was frustrated because he was knew to Belcher? I play Belcher myself and the two things you have to learn when playing the deck are:

When to mulligan.
    Not to be frustrated, accept your losses. Maybe he was just hungry and forgot his bottle at home.

That being said, congrats! Look forward to more reports soon!

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

It's cool to see Purphoros in Legacy, although I would probably never run him myself. Good work on the decent record though!

Mar 2014
    Minnesota

I decided i should go come back to this deck and try out a new list. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4 Ancient Tombs
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountains

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Magus of the Moon
    3 Kruin Outlaw
    3 Instigator Gang
    2 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    3 LodeStone Golem

3 Magma Jet
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Body and Mind
    1 Sword of War and Peace

3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Mindsparker
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Shattering Spree
    1 Sulfur Elemental

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I would definitely cut 2 equipment for the other 2 Magus of the Moons.

Maybe sudden shock instead of magma jet?

Is anyone playing dragon stompy over there ?
    Everyone has shift to painter ?
    I have just started playtesting the deck and it seems to be not so bad.
    I am playing a version with Zirilan of the claw which is quite good.
    I am liking koth and hound of griselbrand ; is there something better than hound against goyf/TNN/liliana ?
    Maybe some moggcatcher but it doesn't protect directly koth what I have found to be annoying dies to bolt/punishing fire/liliana.
    My side is quite random at the moment. Balefire dragon might be a two or three off, but I can sometimes hardcast it and
    it is GG against tempo decks wrath each turn.
    I don't like trinisphere.

11 Mountain
    4 Sandstone Needle
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Seething Song

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Blood Moon

4 Zirilan of the Claw
    4 Balefire Dragon
    1 Nicol Bolas

4 Hound of Griselbrand
    4 Koth of the Hammer

SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 2 Pyroblast
    SB: 3 Null Rod
    SB: 4 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 4 Pyrokinesis

EDIT : I saw fortune thief in sb of one dragon stompy is it good enough ? It looks decent against BGx.decks and merfolk but don't know.
    Last edited by adrieng; 04-13-2014 at 11:39 AM.

This deck is extremley interesting. Blood moon turn 1/2 wins against so many decks really if u think about it.

I feel like the problems with this deck is (have not tried it though):

Early threats like confidant, delver, tarmogoyf etc. How do we deal with these?

Counterspells and discard heavy decks also seems problematic. If we dont manage to resolve a bloodmoon or chalice right away, we're screwed.

I really like the moggcatcher idea. It solves some problems like fetching redcap to kill confidants, delvers etc

Against combo decks I feel like we have a decent matchup against almost every (except sneakshow i guess). Trinisphere and chalice are sweet-o

Anyways I feel like theres still a lot to explore here and Im gonna try some different builds

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I can answer a few questions here...
    Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    Is anyone playing dragon stompy over there ?
    There's a handful of us still around.
    Everyone has shift to painter ?
    Not everyone. They are 2 different decks that win in different ways, so they will both always be relevant, no matter how impactful they are to the metagame.
    I don't like trinisphere.
    It's a love/hate relationship for most Dragon Stompy players. It can give you free wins, but is a terrible topdeck later in the game.
    I saw fortune thief in sb of one dragon stompy is it good enough ? It looks decent against BGx.decks and merfolk but don't know.
    Fortune Thief is best in metas where there are a lot of people playing aggro decks with little or limited removal. A surprise morph can blow out some opponents. It's probably best with Gathan Raiders so that you can bluff it later on as well.

And number two...

Quote Originally Posted by litenkatt View Post
    This deck is extremley interesting. Blood moon turn 1/2 wins against so many decks really if u think about it.
    This is the main reason to play this deck IMO.
    Early threats like confidant, delver, tarmogoyf etc. How do we deal with these?
    Hopefully either land a lock piece so they can't play them. Otherwise, Moggcatcher into Siege-Gang Commander can usually beat out all three of those with ease.
    Counterspells and discard heavy decks also seems problematic. If we dont manage to resolve a bloodmoon or chalice right away, we're screwed.
    Usually you can sneak something through their defenses. Otherwise, wouldn't this be true for all non-blue decks?
    I really like the moggcatcher idea. It solves some problems like fetching redcap to kill confidants, delvers etc
    He is the real deal.
    Against combo decks I feel like we have a decent matchup against almost every (except sneakshow i guess). Trinisphere and chalice are sweet-o
    You are correct here. Many times, Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon can screw them over pretty nicely as well.
    Anyways I feel like theres still a lot to explore here and Im gonna try some different builds
    Never stop experimenting. No deck is perfect.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Last night was weekly Legacy. Out of 17 players, 5 were on Miracles...
    Of 5 rounds (4, then top 8) I got paired up against Miracles 3 times, winning 1 and losing 2.

What has been everyone's experience in that matchup? Which builds have been most effective? What individual cards give them a hard time?

From my experience, Koth of the Hammer is difficult for them to handle. I also had very good fortune when I destroyed both basic Plains with Stone Rain, permanently keepin them off . I believe Stormbreath Dragon is very powerful against them but have not had a chance to test how effective, or how many would be optimal...

I know Phyrexian Revoker on Top is killer against them, but last night they always seemed to have an answer.

What do you guys think about eidolon of the great revel in this list? I've been testing it a bit in replace of trinisphere and like it most the time. It ends up benefitting me a lot, unless I already have a CotV out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Sleight View Post
    What do you guys think about eidolon of the great revel in this list? I've been testing it a bit in replace of trinisphere and like it most the time. It ends up benefitting me a lot, unless I already have a CotV out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Most likely, it's probably not worth it. I know that many people would love to see Trinisphere dropped from the deck, but IMO it wins too many games to warrant being cut. The other thing that makes me wary of the Eidolon is its RR mana cost, which is fairly rough with our mana base. The ability also says "3 or less" rather than "less than 3" so all your Chalices, Trinispheres, and Moons shock you, as well as anything else you're running with a low cost.

On the upside, he does have a 2/2 body attached and does work under a Trinisphere, which makes casting a 3 mana Brainstorm that shocks you especially brutal.

My biggest fear would be dropping this and then watching my opponent play a Goyf and then having to try to catch up, possibly taking large amounts of damage from both the Eidolon and Tombs.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Is this deck still available for legacy? I recently found some lists from Japanese website and I am not sure if this could be considered as dragon stompy, but it seems interesting.

http://amclegacy.sakura.ne.jp/AMC_144.html
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Aug 2012
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    Is this deck still available for legacy? I recently found some lists from Japanese website and I am not sure if this could be considered as dragon stompy, but it seems interesting.

http://amclegacy.sakura.ne.jp/AMC_144.html
    Interesting list...kind of a hybrid between Dragon Stompy and MUD. Wonder why the pilot chose to put the Trinispheres in the board.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by OCPunisher View Post
    Interesting list...kind of a hybrid between Dragon Stompy and MUD. Wonder why the pilot chose to put the Trinispheres in the board.
    Based on the result of their other tournament, it seems there are a lot of SnT in their meta, so I guess maybe the pilot think trinisphere does little against SnT while chalice at least can shut down their cantrip?
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

The list seems incredibly greedy with 8 5CMC dragons and 8 6CMC Titans/Wurms.

But it got me thinking...

How about some "Dragon" Stompy?

4x Stormbreath Dragon
    4x Thundermaw Hellkite
    4x Scourge of Valkas
    4x Rakdos Pit Dragon
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Fledgling Dragon

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Seething Song
    4x Chrome Mox
    2x Trinisphere

8x Mountain
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb

:D

It looks like you are just trying to jam cool dragons into a deck. What does Scourge of Valkas bring to the table? If I am resolving a Thundermaw Hellkite, I am probably winning anyway. If he is being used as removal wouldn't something along the lines of Sudden Demise or Cave In be better since nothing has a toughness of 2? Also, since all but 4 of the cards are permanents, how are you going to get threshold on the Fledgling Dragon? If your median curve for threats is going to be 5 it may be beneficial to add a couple more lands in place of those. Also, not running Magus of the moon seems like it's something that we don't want to be doing. I'm all about dragons, let's just stream line it a bit.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by k0mmand3rka7 View Post
    It looks like you are just trying to jam cool dragons into a deck.
    That's exactly what I was doing. It was a silly idea that I figured would be terrible, but might get a chuckle out of a couple people.

What does Scourge of Valkas bring to the table? If I am resolving a Thundermaw Hellkite, I am probably winning anyway.
    Not if they have a Batterskull on the board you aren't. Or any removal for that matter.

If he is being used as removal wouldn't something along the lines of Sudden Demise or Cave In be better since nothing has a toughness of 2?
    Possibly. Scourge is probably bad, but I was hoping he could be like a repeating FTK that gets better and better as the game goes on.

Also, since all but 4 of the cards are permanents, how are you going to get threshold on the Fledgling Dragon?
    Abrupt Decay and Wasteland help quite a bit. He's meant to be a late game threat sort of like a Tombstalker.

If your median curve for threats is going to be 5 it may be beneficial to add a couple more lands in place of those.
    What, is 28 mana sources and Seething Song not enough?

Also, not running Magus of the moon seems like it's something that we don't want to be doing. I'm all about dragons, let's just stream line it a bit.
    Not having Magus probably kills this deck half the time, but there is something to be said about having a bunch of big red flying dragons. Some decks will just fold to that.

That list looks quite fun. Mine's a bit more serious:

4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Stormbreath Dragon
    4 Moltensteel Dragon

4 Seething Song
    4 Blood Moon

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    12 Mountain

Moltensteel has proven to be an excellent 4-drop. I favor Stormbreath as it can resist StP/PtE if Chalice fails. The biggest flex slots in my earlier builds were the three-drop slots. Two creatures presented themselves as possible candidates: Hanweir Watchkeep and Viashino Outrider. Both play well with Sol lands. Watchkeep can eat a Lightning Bolt and chump quite a few things. Bane of Hanweir is nothing to sneeze at. Outrider's aggressively costed; 2R for 4/3. But that freaking echo cost...

What's your go-to three-drop?

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

In my current list, the only 3 drop creature I run besides Magus is a single Jaya Ballard, Task Mage. The rest either cost 4 or 5. I prefer to run the goblin build.

I see there's some who don't like Trinisphere. Try Defense Grid, especially if you're using Seething Song.

Thread Information