Page 80 of 197 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by therenblaze View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you take out Blood moon in this matchup, most lists run only 1 forest so bloodmoon is still a solid lock piece.
    Probably because he was on the draw. On the play, Elves is going to fetch for their one basic anyway. Once they have that, they can play any number of elves that tap for and then you wasted your first turn playing an enchantment that won't do anything relevent.

I suspect he would put them back in on the draw to catch them being greedy or force them into mulligans to find the basic.

If you remember, a few weeks ago Elves placed highly in an SCG using Blood Moons in the sideboard. The thought being that they can cast it consistently on turn 2 and at that point they already have their forest out.

Ah, yes siding them out on the draw does seem like the correct move, missed that the first time around.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

On the Elves matchup, I would probably take the Blood Moons out all the time, no matter if I'm on the play or the draw. The Bridges, Pyrokinesis, and Sharpshooter all just seem so much better and there isn't much else that seems terrible in the matchup. If you drop a Moon, sure you can possibly lock them out, but all they need to do is rip a basic Forest, of which they run many and Blood Moon is a dead card. At least Magus can participate in combat.

Also, did you have a reason for not running goblin settler or cavern of souls? I feel like the miracles matchup gets alot weaker, and you suddenly have a shot of not having the critical cards resolving in some matchups.
    If you look back in this thread, I believe I was the one who suggested Settler and I almost immediately cut it. It's almost never worth searching for and I don't think I ever did. Plus, that lock is slow and clunky and by the time you get it online, you probably could have taken the game over with Siege-Gang.

Cavern seems great in theory, but our manabase is already shit, so I don't want to make it worse for a card that doesn't help land a Blood Moon and is just as effective at landing Chalice or 3Sphere as a basic Mountain. If they counter one of your creatures, you can probably find another one. Besides, you should usually be leading with a noncreature lock piece if you have it anyway.
    Is there a match besides miracles where you want to have koth, or can he be safely replaced?
    I wouldn't remove Koth. Miracles is a popular deck and having a card that they just can't beat no matter what they draw is extremely good. He also is good vs Enchantress, which can be a tricky matchup at times. You could probably also bring him in vs BUG Control since some of them like to try to win with only JTMS.
    To add constructive info rather than just questions, this is my current thoughts on my own board:
    1 emrakul
    3 ensnaring
    2 sulfur elemental
    1 anarchy
    2 faerie macabre
    1 stingscourger
    1 goblin sharpshooter
    1 tuk tuk
    2 pyrokinesis
    1 flex spot for burn? batterskull, sun droplet, dragons claw, or maybe a third macabre
    Why do we care about Burn? We have 7 cards that are almost GG against them in Chalice and 3Sphere.

I also think that Anarchy>Sulfur Elemental 100% of the time. In D&T, Mirran Crusader, Brimaz, Serra Avenger, Stoneforge, and a creature with Equipment can all dodge the Elemental. We can pay 5 for Anarchy with Thalia out no problem. Then we can also bring Anarchy in vs other matchups too like Enchantress and maybe even Miracles.

I like Faerie Macabre a lot, but not in this deck. Faerie is good against Reanimator shells, but sucks vs Dredge. I've seen people running Leyline of the Void as well, but still I'm not a fan there either. The problem with both of them is that they're pretty dead in a lot of cases. Since both Relic of Progenitus and Grafdigger's Cage cost 1 mana, those are probably out too, leaving us with Tormod's Crypt, which I think is our best option for graveyard hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    On the Elves matchup, I would probably take the Blood Moons out all the time, no matter if I'm on the play or the draw. The Bridges, Pyrokinesis, and Sharpshooter all just seem so much better and there isn't much else that seems terrible in the matchup. If you drop a Moon, sure you can possibly lock them out, but all they need to do is rip a basic Forest, of which they run many and Blood Moon is a dead card. At least Magus can participate in combat.

Why do we care about Burn? We have 7 cards that are almost GG against them in Chalice and 3Sphere.

Blood Moon on the play is great against Elves. It only appears like they run a lot of forests because that is what they fetch for. If you look back at SCG Worcester, 4 Elves decks were in the top 16, and they had a combined 7 forests and no player had more than 2. It locks them out of the game until they can draw a 2 outer, and hopefully by then they are long dead.

As for Burn, it's actually a really unfavorable matchup for us. There costs are too staggered and they can kill anything we play. In board games they also bring in Smash to Smithereens which hurts the chalice on 1 plan. Because Delver has gotten so big with cruise, they all have main deck searing blazes and possibly even searing bloods which really hurt us.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I play vs Burn often and have extremely good results vs the deck. Chalice or Trinisphere GG.
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

bruizar

Christmas came early

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Christmas came early
    Feels more like an office gift exchange then Christmas...

Pretty sure your opponent can target the same land and creature you do.

Sep 2004
    MG

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

They can but it is still good removal for big creatures and annoying lands like Maze, Port or Karakas if you don't have a moon effect out yet.

bruizar

If this is the case, I'm going to cry

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

It doesn't say "another target land".

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Zupponn, I took your list to my local last night and went 5-0 (well, really 3-0-2. But when the games were played out after ID-ing I won them).
    39 players. 5 rounds and top 8 splits the prize support.

I had to make the following changes due to card availability:

Main Deck
    -2 Goblin Rabblemaster
    +2 Gathan Raiders

Sideboard
    -2 Pyrokinesis
    +2 Cave-In

-1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    +1 Goblin Settler

I beat High Tide, Miracles, 4C Treasure Cruise, 4C Punishing Mav, and BUG Cruise.

Drawing 3 CotV and a Trinisphere against High Tide games 2 and 3 helped.
    Miracles mulling to 5 game one and a turn 2 Settler destroying a basic plains game 2 helped.
    Jitte and a body (specifically Murderous Redcap, which is fun because the store is Redcap's Corner) beat 4C TC game 1. A misplay by my opponent while I cast Blood Moon gave me game 2.
    Resolving Blood Moons beat the last two.

Thoughts:
    Rakka Mar is good, but it was always the first card I considered taking out when sideboarding.
    Settler is good and came in from the board after the first game of every round.

I don't play standard... Who'd have thought Rabblemaster was good? Even with only 2 in the deck I noticed how good he is.

Picked up a foil Monastery Swiftspear, a foil Dig Through Time, and a non-foil full art Zendikar Loop Mountain for my troubles.

Eventhough it only hits one land and one creature, since it's a 2 for 1 and LD is incredibly disruptive, it still could have potential alongside Trinisphere and/or Tangle Wire and/or Lodestone Golem possibly in a version of dragon stompy that augments it with any of the other LD options that red has access to...

Fulminator Mage
    Stone Rain
    Goblin Settler
    Avalanche Riders

Don't have time to test this at the moment though. However I had been playing around with Daretti, Scrap Savant online and I find that...

Daretti, Scrap Savant has amazing potential in this deck. It's the planeswalker we've always been waiting for IMO. 3R is the perfect cost. It's +2 ability is extremely useful in Dragon Stompy in the many situations where our hands get clogged with either too many lands/chrome mox, too many blood moons/trinispheres, or threats that are too high cc.

The +2 is equivalent to casting a brainstorm (no actual card advantage but no card disadvantage either and a marked improvement in card quality). It addresses this decks greatest weakness, the lack of consistency.

The -2 is solid with the equipments already in the deck when combined with the +2, but would be absolutely amazing if we are willing to add more artifacts to the deck. Wurmcoil Engine and Lodestone Golem, or equipment.

I guess it would take us closer to a Stax direction but I think it's well worth going that route for the added consistency the +2 offers over the current Dragon Stompy variations.

Went 4-0 (Technically 3-0-1 we split last round). Weekly legacy event. 16~ Players. Quick write up. Let me know if you have any questions.

Round 1 Maverick 2-0. No sideboard changes.
    Very simple games. Resolved T1 moon both games. Game 2 he did get a plains and a forest and was able to play a couple pridemage and knight of the reliquary. Flamespeaker and jitte were too much though.

Round 2 MUD 2-1 3 Trinisphere and 3 chalice out for Revoker and Bridge.
    Game 1 was blood moon and ended pretty quick. Game 2 I over extended into an All is dust. Never recovered. Game 3 was a bad keep but a fast dragon lord started damage. He had a metal worker which was magma jet'd. Leveled up the dragon lord to 4 and he slams wurmcoil. I respond with Ensnaring bridge and had 4 cards in hand. That let me attack but he couldn't.

Round 3 Storm 2-0 Magma jets and moon out for Revoker and tormod's
    Game 1 He won the roll and made me discard trinisphere. I got lucky and he had a bad hand. Was able to get a flipped werewolf and kill him quick. I had no business winning this one. Game 2, turn 1 he cabal therapy'd and named chalice and missed. I drew one on my turn. Played it at 1. Then played revoker on LED, another revoker on petal, and a magus. Got there.

round 4 D&T 2-1 (We split) Trinisphere, bloodmoon, out for Revoker, bridge, and 2 pyrokinesis
    Game 1 I won the roll. Chalice on 1. Flamespeaker with Jitte followed. Wrapped up quick. Game 2 I had a pretty bad keep. He got early equipment and I didn't have much to do. Game 3. Flamespeaker and Jitte took this one as well.

List:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Hanweir Watchkeep
    3 Kargan Dragonlord
    3 Koth of the Hammer
    3 Magma Jet
    4 Magus of the Moon
    9 Mountain
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Trinisphere
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard:
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Pyroblast
    3 Pyrokinesis
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Tormod's Crypt

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Zupponn, I took your list to my local last night and went 5-0 (well, really 3-0-2. But when the games were played out after ID-ing I won them).
    39 players. 5 rounds and top 8 splits the prize support.
    Nice man! High five!
    Sideboard
    -2 Pyrokinesis
    +2 Cave-In
    Cave-In seems pretty good in the format right now. The big downside though is that you lose your whole board state in the process. I'll probably stick with Pyrokinesis myself.
    Because of how I beat Reanimator at SCG Minneapolis, I'll probably keep Emrakul around for a long time. If I would put a Settler in the board, I'd probably take out either an Anarchy or a Stingscourger for it.
    Thoughts:
    Rakka Mar is good, but it was always the first card I considered taking out when sideboarding.
    Settler is good and came in from the board after the first game of every round.
    I've always had the same feelings about Rakka Mar myself and never really saw her at the Open. If I'm looking for something to cut in the main, she's probably the first to go. If you find yourself using the Settler a lot, you might want him main. I've never really been the biggest fan of him myself, but then again the guys over in the Goblins thread have been experimenting with him. A Goblins list with Settler also did top 8 at last weekend's SCG Open, so maybe he's better than I give him credit for.
    I don't play standard... Who'd have thought Rabblemaster was good? Even with only 2 in the deck I noticed how good he is.
    Even after my testing that made me fall in love with Rabblemaster in this deck, I was surprised at how well he can race some of the best decks in the format. T1 Rabblemaster is hella scary. He can turn some really shitty draws into gold all by himself.

@Jables237: Looks like you have a solid list there. The biggest thing I wonder though is why Magma Jet? Are you looking for the 2 damage or the Scry 2? If it's mainly the former, Sudden Shock might be better, but if the Scry is making a big impact, then it might be worth it.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Nice man! High five!

Cave-In seems pretty good in the format right now. The big downside though is that you lose your whole board state in the process. I'll probably stick with Pyrokinesis myself.
    No argument here! I used Cave-In because apparently I sold off my Pyrokineses and now I have to find a new set...

Because of how I beat Reanimator at SCG Minneapolis, I'll probably keep Emrakul around for a long time. If I would put a Settler in the board, I'd probably take out either an Anarchy or a Stingscourger for it.
    I also like Emrakul for Painter, which can be a difficult matchup. Again, if I had one he'd have been used.

I've always had the same feelings about Rakka Mar myself and never really saw her at the Open. If I'm looking for something to cut in the main, she's probably the first to go. If you find yourself using the Settler a lot, you might want him main. I've never really been the biggest fan of him myself, but then again the guys over in the Goblins thread have been experimenting with him. A Goblins list with Settler also did top 8 at last weekend's SCG Open, so maybe he's better than I give him credit for.
    I'm going to experiment with 1 Settler main and 1 in the board. I'm also going to try to find room for the 4th Trinisphere in the board. My thought process there is Settler under a 3sphere is tough for someone to handle and punishes shakey hands that are light on mana. Plus it is always nice to have a way to remove basic lands that are stopping your Blood Moon lock.

@Jables237: Looks like you have a solid list there. The biggest thing I wonder though is why Magma Jet? Are you looking for the 2 damage or the Scry 2? If it's mainly the former, Sudden Shock might be better, but if the Scry is making a big impact, then it might be worth it.
    Magma Jet has been amazing. 2 damage is the key number in legacy. Delver, SFM, deathrite etc etc. I hate being on the draw and have the turn 1 moon but they played deathrite. Magma Jet kills what you need to and the scry 2 is amazing. This deck loses so often to just bad draws its extremely frustrating. Last night I went 0-3 because I just couldn't get anything going. Just how it goes for high variance decks though.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I also like Emrakul for Painter, which can be a difficult matchup. Again, if I had one he'd have been used.
    Well, Painter is the real reason he's in there. I just wanted to stress how amazing that game felt.

Jun 2007
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Jables237 View Post
    Magma Jet has been amazing.
    Would you consider Fire Imp over it ?

Quote Originally Posted by B4L4 View Post
    Would you consider Fire Imp over it ?
    Hmm that is an interesting choice as well. Lose scry but get a body. I think I prefer the scry but I could see that being ok.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Picked up that Goblin Settler that's been hanging around my LGS after they dropped the price to $40. At the very least I'm going to cut Sharpshooter in the side for the Settler.

Thread Information