Page 92 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post
    Hey everyone, new-ish Sourcer but long time lurker here, just thought I'd post up my current Dragon Stompy list.

Creatures: (22)
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Qal Sisma Behemoth
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    2 Rakka Mar
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Magus of the Moon

Non-Creature Spells: (19)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands: (19)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain

Sideboard: (15)
    3 Sudden Demise
    2 Boil
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    2 Manic Vandal
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Tormod's Crypt

I've been playing Goblin Stompy for some time and have been quite happy with it, but was pretty excited when I saw Qal Sisma Behemoth released. although a bit mana-intensive, you can slam him on turn two (or one) and he kills incredibly quickly, and means that you don't have to overextend the rest of your hand. With this in mind, I basically took him and all the other red creatures that are incredibly powerful singular threats and shoved them in a deck. This version I feel is less all-in, especially compared to traditional Hellbent versions, and allows you to ride a single threat to victory until they can answer it, after which you just play another threat that is ready to spiral out of control. I've found the matchup against Miracles, in my limited testing, to be pretty good because with a Chalice on one all your threats demand a Terminus, or else the Miracles player will quickly fall behind.

Also, the new stuff from Origins looks very exciting. Avaricious Dragon looks strong in a traditional Hellbent shell, while the Nalaars might be good with some kind of Daretti/Great Furnace kind of package?

Nonetheless, thanks for your thoughts everyone. ^_^
    This list seems pretty interesting, I will try it out tonight.
    "Move swift as a wind, stay silent as a forest. Strike fierce as a fire, be stalwart as a mountain."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
    This list seems pretty interesting, I will try it out tonight.
    Interested in reading your report! List does look interesting ChemicalBurns.

Four Qal Sisma Behemoth sounds like one too many, but I haven't tested more than two.

Just picked up Goblin Settlers 3 and 4! I've always wanted to try a list with four.

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

I ended up playing D&T tonight (3-0-1, $50 store credit), but I will run that list next week.
    "Move swift as a wind, stay silent as a forest. Strike fierce as a fire, be stalwart as a mountain."

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

I played ChemicalBurns' list at Green Lake Games and went 1-3, but a big reason for that is right before the tournament began, I gave another player my two Sulfur Elementals since he needed two copies. Of course I run into D&T and Maverick that night!

On the plus side, I finally got the sweet, sweet feeling of resolving Boil against Miracles. Haha. I'll try ChemicalBurns' list again at Card Kingdom tonight.

First thing I felt when playing last night was that the double-red on Flamespeaker and Rakka Mar were really restrictive compared to the amount of punch I get in those slots in my normal configuration. I also feel like one of the Chrome Mox ought to be a Lotus Petal. I also don't like all the 2-ofs in the sideboard -- you can get away with that in decks packed with cantrips/tutors, but in a deck like this you want consistent hate. I'll keep the list as it is for now but if I were to change it, I would up the Revokers to a 4-of.

Also, I definitely want to try a Hellbent build once Avaricious Dragon is legal. I dunno if it'll be good or not but it looks fun.

Glad the list seems pretty reasonable to you Morzas, just wanted to address a few of your points.

I definitely think the list, like Goblin Stompy, feels incredibly soft to Death & Taxes (I play D&T myself, just like you, and have found the match against Dragon Stompy a cakewalk), as you're completely crushed by Umezawa's Jitte unless you get yours online before theirs. Sulfur Elemental is what I've been using to address this problem, but it doesn't answer Stoneforge which can often be the crux of the problem. Anarchy may be a consideration in this slot, in addition to bringing in the Demises. Nonetheless I think some kind of dedicated D&T hate is required, because it's a real uphill climb otherwise. You're probably correct in terms of the sideboard slots though - I can easily see shaving the Vandals for more Revokers since they fulfill a reasonably similar role, which is stop Jitte, and also have a lot of other utility, especially against Miracles.

In terms of the double red on creatures, I think its a reasonable consideration to change the Rakka Mar to something else (I'm not sure what, maybe can move Koth to the main and free up sideboard space), as long as it fulfills the criteria of being a threat that doesn't need help to spiral out of control. Flamespeaker though I have found incredibly valuable, and would not think of cutting him - being able to generate some form of card advantage while clocking the opponent is amazing, and I've found he usually finds more locks to ensure the opponent is completely disabled. Not to mention when he finds one of your equipment... Then the opponent is really dead.

How did you find Behemoth so far? Although four may seem too many, since you're generally just playing out one threat at a time I haven't found it to be much of an issue when I have a glut in my hand, since I'll only be playing the second one when the first one dies. They can get really awkward against Rishadan Port decks though, I'd highly recommend boarding them out there. ^_^

Hello guys!
    Longtime lurker, first time posting here.

This is my list for Dragon Stompy:
    Main

Fast Mana
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Simian Spirit Guide

Planeswalkers
    3x Koth of the Hammer
    2x Chandra, Pyromaster
    2x Sarkhan, The Dragonspeaker

Creatures
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    4x Magus of the Moon
    2x Inferno Titan
    2x Stormbreath Dragon
    1x Thundermaw Hellkite

Artifacts
    1x Coercive Portal (looking for a 2nd)
    4x Chalice of the Void

Enchantment
    3x Blood Moon

Instant
    2x Magma Jet
    4x Seething Song

Lands
    10x Mountain
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors

Sideboard
    3x Trinisphere
    1x Staff of Nin
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Volcanic Fallout
    2x Faerie Macabre
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Ratchet Bomb
    2x Ensnaring Bridge

Match ups so far

vs D&T
    Batterskull is a bit of a problem, however, you play the control game here. Most of their denial is useless against you.
    vs BUG
    T1 Moon drains them or auto wins. Rarely had a problem
    vs Storm
    Smash Vial, win. Side trinispheres for more hate.
    vs Lands
    Seismic assault can be a problem in G2 - G3. Always board hate, and keep an eye for their life from the loam
    vs Miracles
    Tough MU. That's the reason for the Staff in the board. Moon isn't useless here, as they rely a lot on fetches, and you can screw them there. If they can assemble the lock, it gets a bit more difficult. In my experience, really bad draws from your side can make this difficult, else, it's winable.
    vs Merfolk
    Moon can really nullify them, if they have a Cavern / Muta hand. Hard match up, relies a lot on getting agro fast, or a Titan.
    Sneak & Show
    Tough, reliant on locking them with moon + vials, or game 2-3, bridges + revokers
    Reanimator
    Iona wrecks you. Chalice + Trinisphere can destroy them, + graveyard hate

Well, that's all for now, please let me know what you guys think!

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

Ran ChemicalBurns' list at Card Kingdom, went 2-2. Don't remember too many of the details.

Round 1 - GWb Maverick - Win

I'm against my friend, and we both know what the other is on.

G1: I lock him out with a Chalice on 1 followed by a Chalice on 2.
    G2: Don't remember, but I lost.
    G3: I don't remember much of this game aside from hearing "man, if you hadn't topdecked that Qal Sisma Behemoth", which made me laugh.

Round 2 - Elves - Loss

G1: I land a turn 1 Magus of the Moon and it's GG.
    G2: I'm on the draw, so my opponent got a basic Forest out early and was able to eventually recover with Wirewood Symbiote + Elvish Visionary.
    G3: I mull to 5, land an early Trinisphere and hope to draw a kill condition before they can start vomiting out Elves. No such luck.

I found myself really missing my Siege-Gang Commanders. I have fought Elves a few times before and every game I didn't win because of a lock piece was won because of the board control that card gives me.

Round 3 - UR Delver - Win

This is the kind of deck we're designed to beat. Game 3 was pretty humorous: they were locked out by a Blood Moon + a Chalice but were still able to play three Young Pyromancer. He swung in a couple times but when I landed a Prophetic Flamespeaker his aggro was shut down. Flamespeaker is a lot more powerful than I thought.

Round 4 - Jeskai Stoneblade - Loss

I basically never play around Daze or Spell Pierce and got punished for it here. I think I could have won this match with better play.

------------------

All in all, I think it's a pretty powerful list and I might try it again some time. If I were to play it again I would run 2 Sudden Demise in the main since I want some more board control and more Phyrexian Revoker in the board. I never used Tormod's Crypt so those are easy cuts, but Card Kingdom's meta is pretty developed; I rarely see any graveyard decks.

I also really wish there were a red Stoneforge Mystic, then Flamespeaker would be an absolute house.

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post
    How did you find Behemoth so far? Although four may seem too many, since you're generally just playing out one threat at a time I haven't found it to be much of an issue when I have a glut in my hand, since I'll only be playing the second one when the first one dies. They can get really awkward against Rishadan Port decks though, I'd highly recommend boarding them out there. ^_^
    I didn't play Behemoth enough to really get a feel for it.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Weekly report.

11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Lotus Petal
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Stone Rain
    4 Goblin Settler
    4 Trinisphere

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Qal Sisma Behemoth
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Fire Imp
    4 Ingot Chewer
    4 Tormod's Crypt

R1 - ANT, 2-0
    R2 - RUG Lands, 0-2
    R3 - U/R Delver, 0-2
    R4 - Grixis Delver, 2-1

I sideboarded incorrectly against Lands and used Ancient Tomb too aggressively in game 1. My fault. I deserved the losses.
    Need to work on the sideboard more!
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 07-09-2015 at 12:39 AM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Another weekly report. Twenty-six players.

11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Lotus Petal
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Stone Rain
    4 Goblin Settler
    4 Trinisphere

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Qal Sisma Behemoth
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Fire Imp
    4 Pillage
    1 Arc Lightning
    1 Flames of the Firebrand
    1 Sulfur Elemental

R1 - BURG Delver, 2-1. There's still 30 minutes left in the round when we finish.
    R2 - Dark Punishing Maverick, 1-2. I get game 1 off 3 sequential Stone Rain. Games 2 and 3 Mother of Runes protects his mana dorks and he's able to power out more threats. Should have boarded in Sulfur Elemental.
    R3 - RUG Delver, 2-0. He mulls to six game 1 and four or five in game 2.
    R4 - 12 Post, 2-1. I mull to five game 1 and don't play Magic. He mulls to four game 2 and doesn't play Magic. Game 3 I mull to 6 and Pillage his Expedition Map. Then proceed to play 3 Stone Rain a Settler, Phyrexian Revoker (naming Candelabra of Tawnos) and 3sphere before finally finding a Rabblemaster.

Top 8
    R5 - OmniTell 2-1. He starts and chains Gitaxian Probes until I kill him with consecutive Rabblemasters. Game 2 he boards in Young Pyromancer and steals a win. Game 3 he mulls to six and a Blood Moon plus land destruction give me the win.

Picked up $65 in credit, getting 2 Thoughtseize and an Abrupt Decay.
    I like Pillage in the sideboard over Ingot Chewer. I'm not sold on the three 1-of's. Qal Sisma Behemoth pulled his weight. I like 3 in the maindeck right now.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Cryoclasm is probably just better than stone Rain in this format

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Just returned from the latest installment of the Philadelphia Legacy Series. This time was at Redcap's Corner. Twenty-Nine players made it out for the event, so the turn-out was equivalent to a really good weekly there...

I brought Eight Moon Stompy.

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Koth of the Hammer
    2 Chandra, Pyromaster
    3 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

4 Magma Jet
    3 Bonfire of the Damned
    2 Crystal Ball

10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Lotus Petal

Sideboard
    2 Chandra Nalaar
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Ingot Chewer
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    Hey all - I am working on various builds of moon/goblin/stompy and like the MO of "hide behind bridge - kill without attacking" (aka, the control / planeswalker build). Someone mentioned Pia and Kiran Nalaar from origins as an idea. What are your thoughts?

It's a mana intensive way to bring down your opponent (R2 per shock) and removal can hit him.. However, hiding behind a bridge you get the two 1/1 flyers. If you're facing no flying blockers, you can fly at him for 2 before unloading your draw for the turn. Also lets you "eat" many of the duplicate artifact draws that would otherwise be dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Veebs View Post
    Someone mentioned Pia and Kiran Nalaar from origins as an idea.
    I like them for exactly the reasons you mentioned.
    I intend to pick up 3 shiny copies, and now I'm hesitant to sell off my Cavern of Souls...

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Cryoclasm is probably just better than stone Rain in this format
    I disagree here. Sure the format has a lot of Islands and Plains, but Forests are typically the basic land that I worry about seeing because Green Sun's Zenith is very good at breaking whatever lock I have going.
    Besides that, part of the strategy is to keep the opponent locked under a Trinisphere. If the lands are Moon Mountains, or just otherwise not an Island or Plains, Cryoclasm sits in my hand as a dead card. Three damage isn't nothing, but I'd rather destroy any land than deal some incidental damage.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 07-09-2015 at 09:15 AM.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

I like them for exactly the reasons you mentioned.
    I intend to pick up 3 shiny copies, and now I'm hesitant to sell off my Cavern of Souls...

I disagree here. Sure the format has a lot of Islands and Plains, but Forests are typically the basic land that I worry about seeing because Green Sun's Zenith is very good at breaking whatever lock I have going.
    Besides that, part of the strategy is to keep the opponent locked under a Trinisphere. If the lands are Moon Mountains, or just otherwise not an Island or Plains, Cryoclasm sits in my hand as a dead card. Three damage isn't nothing, but I'd rather destroy any land than deal some incidental damage.
    If you play 7 moons, sure. It may be interesting to play some Peak Eruption then :P

Mar 2010
    Aarhus, Denmark

@Ace/Homebrew: Fire Imps in sideboard - why and when? Wouldn't a sweeper be better like pyroclasm? Like the list though - to bad Goblin Settler is a damm expensive card :-(

/PollePotDK

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by PollePotDK View Post
    @Ace/Homebrew: Fire Imps in sideboard - why and when? Wouldn't a sweeper be better like pyroclasm?
    Pyroclasm kills all our creatures too... If Moon Man is keeping things from getting worse for us, I prefer to keep him alive.

FImp goes in against creature decks (D&T, U/R Delver, Maverick, Grixis). For mono-color or decks heavy in red, I take out Magus. Otherwise it's something like -1Trinisphere, -1 Settler, -1 Stone Rain, -1 Behemoth. If I would use a sweeper, it'd probably be Sudden Demise.

Ace/Homebrew do you go to Redcap's every wednesday? I just started going there and the place is great.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_D View Post
    Ace/Homebrew do you go to Redcap's every wednesday? I just started going there and the place is great.
    Typically every other week. But if I'm on a hot streak, I'll go every week.

Redcap's is a great store with a strong Legacy scene. I heard the store will be moving down the street in a few weeks, FYI.

Typically every other week. But if I'm on a hot streak, I'll go every week.

Redcap's is a great store with a strong Legacy scene. I heard the store will be moving down the street in a few weeks, FYI.
    How is parking around that area? I live in the Reading, PA area and always wondered if going down to Redcap's was worth the drive. One of the big hang-ups I would have is if I have to park my car in a "bad" part of town and then leave at night. Is there safe parking around Redcap's?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I'll have to let you know once I've seen the new location. Currently there is plenty of street parking. Well 'plenty' is probably reaching... Let's say adequate street parking. The parking gets harder to find as you approach 6:00 and the typical last-minute MtG player shows up. Most of the open spots are metered ($0.25 for 15 minutes ) but there is free street parking nearby once you know where to look. If you get there at 5:30 you won't have any trouble.

The 'badness' of the area is sort of relative... My wife wouldn't feel comfortable, but I've never had any issues or concerns. I do have to pass through a section I wouldn't want to break down in on the way there and back though.

Of course none of what I said will matter in a few weeks when the store relocates.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    How is parking around that area? I live in the Reading, PA area and always wondered if going down to Redcap's was worth the drive. One of the big hang-ups I would have is if I have to park my car in a "bad" part of town and then leave at night. Is there safe parking around Redcap's?
    There's residential streets a block over with plenty of spaces.

Thread Information