Thread: [EDH advice] Wrath effects

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

[EDH advice] Wrath effects

So, I'm running a Mono-White Rebel Control EDH deck featuring Lin-Sivvi.

How many Wrath effects should I run? I am currently running 7 but it seems that I haven't been drawing them in any games I've played (I guess it's because of the shuffling from Lin-Sivvi)

Any advice from those who run a mono-white EDH deck?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Re: [EDH advice] Wrath effects

I have only played against mono white, so this might not be too helpful. However, seven wraths seems like a fine amount. Perhaps you need more card draw or card selection abilities. You could also add some artifact or enchantment tutors to help you find your card draw/selection engine pieces. I assume that there are only minimal tutors that can search for wraths directly. But for example you could do like enlightened tutor for skullclamp or something and draw into a wrath from that.

Nov 2009
    Lappeenranta, Finland

In the kind of creature-focused deck that Lin Sivvi suggests, 7 should be more than enough, at least if they're all good wraths. When you cast a wrath in multiplayer EDH, you a) want it to destroy the things it's supposed to destroy (no creature survives Hallowed Burial or Final Judgment, and Rout nabs the hasty creatures that sorceries don't hit in time), and/or b) want to be winning after it has resolved (Martial Coup, Austere Command, Mass Calcify in the right meta). Wrath of God usually doesn't do either, as no EDH deck's game plan should suffer greatly from an opponent's "vanilla" wrath.

I don't know anything about your deck or playgroup, but in general you should focus on quality first, then quantity.
    Level 1 Judge

Jan 2011
    Syracuse

I would say that, in general, when running Lin Sivvi that you can afford to run fewer creatures and more answers since you can always tutor up creatures. I'd run lean on creatures (20-25) and I wouldn't hesitate to run 10 sweeping effects if you feel that you need these types of effects in your playgroup. It really is heavilly dependant on what you're meta is though. Generally if I play Rebels I don't want to have a starting hand full of rebels, because I want my first creature to be Lin.

I'd also look for stuff to make your creatures "better" like equipment and anthem's and such - and I'd generally place this stuff ahead of sweepers, since the Rebel deck can generally overcome stale-mates more efficiently because of having a general that tutors. So, IMHO continually improving board-state will result in more favorable stale-mates that can be broken by Sivvi, as opposed to trying to continually sweeping the board and being forced to re-play your general...since I would anticipate that Lin would be the first creature you play every game.

Again, it's meta-dependant, but I would say that ways to make your creatures "better" or targeting removal for "pesky" creatures (like woodfall primus, Reveilark, etc) would seem to make the deck more competitve than sweepers...unless you're trying to deal with Token Decks.

Just my $0.02

Thread Information