Thread: "Extirpate on your Golgari Thug"

Mecum omnes plangite
    Aug 2009
    45°33'2"52 N, 09°20'41"28 E

"Extirpate on your Golgari Thug"

I tried with the Advanced Search function, but no question was similar to mine. Probably because no one on this forum is as noobish as me.

I have Tireless Tribe on the battlefield, a Golgari Thug in my graveyard and a Stinkweed Imp in my hand. I say to my opponent "I'd like to proceed to my draw step", replacing regular draw with Dredge 4. He then plays Extirpate on my Thug. Now, after Extirpate resolves, do I have the chance to still discard my Stinkweed Imp to Dredge 5 or am I forced to draw normally?
    0.05.14 [Digital Devil] <Digital Devil> Ach! Hans, run! It's the Tarmogoyf!
    0.05.17 [Hans (GER)] <Hans (GER)> ...
    0.05.20 [<System>] <System> Player Lost

Re: "Extirpate on your Golgari Thug"

Did you say "I'd like to proceed to my draw step, replacing regular draw with Dredge 4", or "I'd like to proceed to my draw step"? You shouldn't say the former, since dredge is a replacement effect and you don't announce that you're using it until the draw is happening.

Either way, you're proposing to shortcut to a certain step. If your opponent declines to accept the shortcut, he's assumed to be acting at the only legal time he can - after you pass priority in your upkeep. Your draw happens first thing in your draw step, and no one gets priority in the draw step until after that - so he can only be acting in the upkeep.

Since you're in your upkeep, you can use Tireless Tribe (or whatever else) after Extirpate resolves before proceeding to your draw step. Keep in mind that steps/phases don't end until both players pass priority at the same time, so your opponent can ex. cast another Extirpate after you discard something with Tireless Tribe.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Catcher of souls, hunter of spirits
    Jan 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Important points here:

1. A phase or step does not end until each player passes priority in succession with an empty stack.
    2. Drawing for your turn is the first thing that happens in the draw step. No player receives priority before this occurs.

Saying "I'd like to proceed to my draw step" is a shortcut for "I am passing priority with an empty stack to you. If you have no effects, we enter my draw step". At this point, your opponent has a chance to Extirpate your Thug. After Extirpate finishes resolving, you get priority again and can discard the Stinkweed Imp. If your opponent agrees to enter your draw step, then he has missed his chance to cast Extirpate before you dredge.

Edit: Ninja'd by cdr.

Mecum omnes plangite
    Aug 2009
    45°33'2"52 N, 09°20'41"28 E

@cdr & VsTheWorld - It was the latter case, that's why I used quotation marks - basically, as long as my opponent has instant spells/abilities and wants to play 'em, I can still discard a card from my hand with Tribe thereafter.

Additional question - same scenario, except I want to recur an Ichorid. Ichorid's ability goes on the stack, then my opponent Extirpates the only black creature card in my graveyard: will I be able to discard a black creature before Ichorid's ability resolves? I'm 99,9% sure I can, since its ability is still on the stack. I just need a confirmation.

@both - thanks for answering my question.
    0.05.14 [Digital Devil] <Digital Devil> Ach! Hans, run! It's the Tarmogoyf!
    0.05.17 [Hans (GER)] <Hans (GER)> ...
    0.05.20 [<System>] <System> Player Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Devil View Post
    Additional question - same scenario, except I want to recur an Ichorid. Ichorid's ability goes on the stack, then my opponent Extirpates the only black creature card in my graveyard: will I be able to discard a black creature before Ichorid's ability resolves? I'm 99,9% sure I can, since its ability is still on the stack. I just need a confirmation.
    Yes - much like phases/steps changing, the top object on the stack doesn't resolve until both players pass in succession. You can let Extirpate resolve by passing (not that you have much choice), and then do other things before Ichorid's triggered ability resolves.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information