Hello everyone it has been a while since I have posted, and since I ended up at the SCG 5k I figured I could get a tourney report together. I ended up wanting to pilot a MUC that I have been working with over the past 6 months or so. I believe that it is based off of the list that Guillame Wafo-Tapo was playing last summer.

My performance was good seeing as I started round 1 exhausted knowing I had 9 rounds of Swiss ahead of me.

List

Lands
15 Islands
1 Mountain
1 Forest
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Misty Rainforest

Creatures
1 Sphinx of Jwar Isle
2 Vendilion Clique

Planeswalkers
3 Jace, the Mindsculptor

Spells
4 Force of Will
4 Counterspell
3 Spell Snare
4 Brainstorm
4 Vedalken Shackles
4 Engineered Explosives
2 Repeal
1 Fact or Fiction
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Cryptic Command
1 Back to Basics

Sideboard
2 Llawan Cephalid
1 Relic of Progenitus
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Mindbreak Trap
3 Spell Pierce
2 Blue Elemental Blast
1 Hydroblast
1 Back to Basics

The drive was rather uneventful. There were some car issues as the crew left Mount Pleasant, MI, but after we got into a stable car we were good to go.

Onto the report.

Round 1 - Mono Blue Merfolk. Christian

G1 - I don't think he knew what Engineered Explosives did. He plays T1 vial. I allow it and drop Explosives at 1. He looks at me puzzled, adds a counter to vial and plays another vial? This made me about 90% sure that he ran stifle. On my turn I took the risk seeing as I had Force in hand in case of a stifle. He responds to my blowing up the Explosives by vialing in cursecatcher...3 for 1? I take his coralhelm commander that he plays the next turn with my newly acquired shackles, and go to face.
-2 Relic - 2 Repeal -1 Counterspell +3 Spell Pierce +2 Llawan
G2 - He rocks out T1 vial on the play. I play Explosives at 1 again and he forces. I let it go seeing as my opening hand had 3 of them. EOT Cursecatcher from him, and on his turn he plays a LOA. I snare and he vials in the other one. He proceeds to draw massive numbers of lords that I do not answer.

G3 - Not much to say but a T4 protected Llawan. And next turn back to basics on his 3 tapped mutavaults.

1-0

Round 2 - Elves Combo! Dillon

G1 - We discuss round 1 as he tells me that he won with ease because his opponent couldn't handle his large number of elves. I know what I am up against and on the play keep my seven with 2 counterspell and 3 lands, and shackles, brainstorm. T2 he plays a glimpse of nature which rightfully gets a counterspell. Then he plays T3 Glimpse which again gets countered. My T4 I play a shackles and he plays a ranger of Eos for double nettle sentinel. I take his ranger and crack Explosives off the top for the win.
-2 Relic +2 Mindbreak Trap

G2 - He kept a one lander and goes taiga llanowar. I play T1 Explosives and pass turn. He just attacks for one and passes turn. He plays an elf lord drawing a gaeas cradle and I allow it. The next turn I play a Back to Basics and he shows some frustration. I time walk for about ten turns and Jace finishes him off.

2-0

Round 3 - Glimpse Affinity. Chris

G1 - He plays T1 Myr Enforcer (I kept a slow hand as I saw him in between rounds piloting a landstill deck. Apparently he was helping a friend test against landstill.) Quick to G2.

-1 Repeal -2 Relic +2 Mindbreak Trap +1 Back to Basics

G2 - He plays land, Ornithopter, Springleaf drum, into frogmite. Mindbreak Trap gets some beastly frogmite. I counter platings on the next two turns with snares. I play T4, T5, T6 Shackles and T7 Back to Basics. He promptly gets beaten with his own team.

G3 - T1 on the play goes Land, Ornithopter, Memnite, Glint Hawk. Nother Mindbreak Trap, Bam. That slows him down quite a bit and I stabilize with Explosives and Back to basics. (While I know that MBT isn't that great against affinity it does better than relic.)

3-0

Round 4 - Ravager Affinity. Tim J. Morisson.

G1 - He gets an average start for Affinity and I stupidly kept a weak hand. T1 Enforcer and I FoW/Removing JTMS. T2 follows with ravager + disciple. I just scoop to leave as much time as I can.
-2 Relic -1 Repeal +1 Back to Basics +2 Mindbreak Trap

G2 - Mull to 5 to find any lands. Keep Island, Mountain, Back to Basics, Snare, and Counterspell. Wasn't bad if I could get on more land. Miss land drops 3-8...>GG.

3-1

Round 5 - Mono Blue Merfolk. ????

G1 - Drew lousy. Got to 7 lands in play with three in hand, while he played lots of lords. (He had no ideas to what I was playing.)
-2 Relic -2 Repeal -1 Back To Basics +2 Llawan +3 Spell Pierce

G2 - My six card hand was decent. Island, Fetch, Brainstorm, Counterspell, Explosives, Cryptic. Brainstorm into lands. Shuffle away some cards and top deck lands until his lords kill me.

3-2

Round 6 - RB Goblins. Corey.

G1 - I felt bad as his sideboard was upside down on the table and I have an awesome game against goblins. To make matters worse he mulled down to 5. Plays T1 Vial which gets wrecked by Explosives. I got a shackles in play T3, but he did not play creatures very swarm like as goblins are known to do. I could not seem to find a JTMS to end the game. He ended up resolving all 4 ringleaders against me and I made him trade his own creatures to try and punch through some damage. With ten minutes left in the round he scoops.

-2 Relic -1 Counterspell +2 Blue Elemental Blast +1 Hydroblast

G2 - I mulligan down to 4 to find a keep able hand. My four was a strong double island, brainstorm and tarn. He keeps his opening 7 and I am feeling back against the wall. He Plays Mountain go...I play Island go, he plays tarn go. I brainstorm into pure gold and play shackles. He rides out a matron for siege-gang commander. I play shackles number two and pass turn. He rides out Siege-gang commander and I take it with shackles. Pop a tarn on my next turn for my singleton mountain and manhandle him with his own goblins.

4-2

Round 7 - AD Nauseam Tendrils. Ben Hayes

G1 - I kept my opening hand with double counterspell and snare. He duresses, duresses again. And then combos out the following turn as I draw nothing relevant.
-2 Repeal -4 Shackles +3 Spell Pierce +1 Relic of Progenitus +2 Mindbreak Trap

G2 - Open 7 Land. Open 6 land. Open 4 lands and a Brainstorm. I brainstorm in response to his thoughtseize and Draw Island, island, island...FML...he wins easily.

4-3

Round 8 Helm of Obedience/Show and Tell Combo.???

G1 - Strong 7 on the play. He t0's in a leyline of the void, and I kind of chuckle. I jokingly ask him helm combo? Or paranoid dredge player? He says def dredge. On with the game he charges in a T3 Helm. I counterspell it. He groans saying he wished I was aggro. We play draw go as he tries to see what I am playing. Lim Dul's Vault gets a Snare, and I land a JTMS. Begin rising the loyalty as I have a counter heavy hand with Force and double cryptic. He has a ton of land and he keeps counting his mana. Finally he plays dark rit...followed by another one. Upon thinking I look at his mana and decide I might want to do something. I count how much that will give him and notice it is 15...Do I really think he has a certain uncounterable spaghetti monster? Not really, but this vendilion clique in my hand would like to make sure. I clique in response and his jaw just drops... he reveals the emrakul and I ship it. I Ultimate JTMS at ten minutes left in the round. (Not really relevant but I had 14 islands in play at the time he played emrakul. If I found a fetch I could have taken his emrakul with shackles =])
-2 Relic -2 Snare -1 Repeal +3 Spell Pierce +2 Mindbreak Trap

G2 - I mull to 6 he says he will keep. T0 Leyline of the void and he duress/thoughtseizes me out of a hand. He plays T3 Helm and I scoop as he reveals double FoW.

G3 - I open 7 as there are 4 minutes left. No land. Open 6. No land again. Open 5...All land. Ugh I decide that a draw is my only hope and a mull to 4 won’t hurt me any more than this. Open my 4 with an island, fetch, brainstorm, and spell pierce. Again T0 leyline. And he Thoughtseizes me, I spell pierce as I would rather him not know I have jack shit. I brainstorm next eot into Force, and two other counters. He plays Helm, and I pierce, he fows and I fow back. He voices frustration as I have "Such good draws" (says the guy who kept his opening 7 all three games with t0 leyline.) Time is called and after turns he tries to convince me to concede to him. If we draw we both are out of money. I say that I am also in contention if he scoops to me. We go back and forth he argues his rating is better and I say fine I will just sign as a draw. He says something about me being ridiculous for taking us both out of the contention. I then went up and dropped. I felt a little bad, but he was sort of being a jerk towards the end of the match.

Slops
Food being so expensive.
Roller derby right down the hall. =]
Awful misplays against r5 merfolk.
My bad shuffling causing me to mulligan so often.

Props
The other two mono blue controls there that top 64'ed
Mull to 4 wrecking Goblins
Steak and shake for being just that awesome.
My team for telling me after every round. "Hurry up and lose I want to get heading back home."