Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **1st Place** Jupiter Games 40 Duals 40 Fetches 1/22/11

**1st Place** Jupiter Games 40 Duals 40 Fetches 1/22/11

Hey all! I know it has been quite some time since I have written a report, but it has also been a while since I closed one of these big tournaments. I generally make most Vestal tournaments, but I was the guy playing Dredge in the 1-2 bracket. So sick of playing decks that I thought would slip under the radar, I decided that it would just be time to try and outplay my opponents. I have been keeping my game sharp with much Magic Online, and the occasional local tournament. I decided to run GerryT's CounterTop list from SCG Open San Jose since it was much similar to the CounterTop list he was helping me develop earlier last year. After talking for a few days with Adam Barnello (Nightmare) we had decided that we wanted to drop a Repeal for an Engineered Explosives. Adam informed me that he had been in communication with LSV on this same deck (since Adam mised a spot on the CFB crew) and he felt that the 2 Repeal slots were pretty much free slots to do whatever you want to try, but the rest of the deck was pretty solid. I could not agree more, and Adam and I decided to try out a miser's Engineered Explosives. It ended up being pretty good for me on the day, and I was never unhappy to see it. After deciding to test the deck out at the Thursday night Legacy @ Play The Game in Syracuse, I piloted the deck to a solid 6-0 and felt totally ready for Saturday's event. I apologize that I am not very good with names, but I didn't totally intend to write a report, otherwise I would have written them down. This is what I registered:

4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Vendilion Clique

4 Counterbalance

4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Engineered Explosives

3 Firespout

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Repeal
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Tundra
    2 Island
    1 Mountain

Sideboard:

3 Pyroblast
    2 Blue Blast
    2 Sower of Temptation
    1 Submerge
    1 Firespout
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Pithing Needle

Round 1- 4c Thresh

Game One:
    This match was a long and drawn out one, and I felt my opponent was playing a very greedy list with four colors plus Wasteland. I was very surprised when my opponent ran out a turn 5 Wasteland after playing four different dual lands. He was playing some very interesting choices, as I got to see most of his deck game 1 because he kept trying to force Life From the Loam through CounterTop lock. I was drawing dead spells and lands for about 10 turns until Vendilion Clique showed up and attacked six times.

Game Two:
    After sideboarding and shuffling, I present my deck and notice only five minutes left on the clock. I keep my first seven and we play a rather unexciting five plus five.

1-0 (Games 1-0-1)

Round 2- A.J. with Storm

This match was rather unexciting, as I landed turn 1 Top turn 2 Counterbalance with double Force backup both games.

The commentary from the 13-year-old across the table from me made an interesting match, as this kid could talk trash with the best and when I said "You're awesome, kid. I like you," his snap response was simply, "As you should." PRO.

2-0 (Games 3-0-1)

Round 3- New Horizons

Game One- My opponent is new to Legacy, but seems to have a pretty good grasp on what he is doing with the deck. We exchanged blows for most of the first game, but I hit a solid run of cards and broke away for a hard fought victory.

Game Two- I pretty much just get smashed by having turns 2, 3 and 4 Tarmogoyf from our villian. I almost draw out of it, but he had plenty of gas left in his tank and we head to game 3.

Game Three- We get to play a few turns but succumb to time.

2-0-1 (Games 4-1-2)

Round 4- NO Bant **FEATURE MATCH**

Game One- I can't find a red source to Firespout his 3 Noble Hierarchs and get put to bed by a very large hydra.

Game Two- I establish CounterTop lock early and this game plays out like it should with Jace scuplting some minds.

Game Three- Oh noes... we don't have time to finish this one either. I ask my opponent kindly to concede, but he declines. Sad face.

2-0-2 (Games 5-2-3)

So from here, if I win out, I make top 8, but if I lose at all, I'm out of top 16 prize contention as well. Pressure was on, for sure.

Round 5- UGB Thresh

Game One- He was playing black for cards like Smother and Ghastly Demise, so I had to fight through a few kill spells as I could not find a Counterbalance to lock it up. I eventually found a Jace when he had a few kill spells in hand, and decided to sculpt his mind rather than try to find a Goyf. Plan worked.

Game Two- I get the lock down early and ride a couple Goyfs to victory after Cliquing his business away.

3-0-2 (Games 7-2-3)

Round 6- Belcher

Game One- Kinda bummed when I find out that he is playing Belcher after I keep a loose opener. He combo's off and belches me to death and I am sad to see my top 8/prize chances slipping away.

Game Two- I obviously have to ship my opening 7 on the play, but Paris into 2x Force of Will, Fetch, 2x Jace and a Brainstorm. I am forced to Force consecutive Xantid Swarms but I drew some diesel and kill him after Firespouting away a horde of desperation goblins.

Game Three- I open a solid seven with double Force of Will and some business. I proceed to draw five straight lands after ONCE AGAIN having to Force turn 1/turn 2 Xantid Swarm. I bluff the counter on turn 3 and it seemed to work as my nemesis just passes the turn and we play draw-go for a while. I eventually just get there and my opponent drew nothing but Burning Wishes. Phew.

4-0-2 (Games 9-3-3)

Round 7- Zoo

After realizing I got paired against an opponent who was X-2 and could really ruin my day, he kindly accepts my request to concede, as I would do the same. I liked my matchup a lot anyways ;-).

5-0-2 (Games 11-3-3)

Top 8 Eric English Next Level Thresh

Game One- I am not quite sure what he is playing at this point as I saw an early Vendilion Clique and Mishra's Factory. I spend the rest of this game confused and succumb to some Bolts to the dome and Tarmogoyfs.

Game Two- With a better idea what he is playing, I sideboard accordingly and it pays off. I get CounterTop lock twice, but both times it was Gripped away. He starts to pull ahead, but I eventually draw into double Swords to clear the way for my men.

Game Three- Eric is land light and I actually Blasted his second Brainstorm after missing the third land drop for the second time. He draws out of his predicament and lands 3 Goyfs on me. I luckily have a hand full of napalm, and seemed to draw all the lands I needed to. I got to play turn 4 and 5 Sower of Temptation after making some pivotal decisions. Most importantly I took an attack that left me at three life after tanking for a minute and being confident he boarded out the Bolts after not seeing any after a long game two. My army of (his) Goyfs was too much as he tried in vain to stay alive with Crucible/Factory, but folded to the pressure.

6-0-2 (Games 12-4-3)

Top 4 Dave Price New Horizons

I'll cut right to game three as we exchange pretty quick games one and two, both of us getting a chance to smash the other with large d00dz.

Game Three- I am on the play and keep an opener of 3x Tarmogoyf, Fetchland, Mountain, Force of Will, Brainstorm. Dave sends back the first seven but six is good enough. I decide to fetch a basic Island mainphase, fearing the Stifle blowout. I understand I had FoW, but that is not exactly a must-counter spell in this matchup, so you just need to play in a way that makes it more or less irrelevant so you don't have to Force it. I obviously don't Brainstorm into a green source and we both start off missing our third land drop. Dave draws out of it first and subsequently pulls ahead. I get in a few attacks but after he resolves a Knight of the Reliquary things are looking bleak. I decide that the only way I can win is for Dave to err, so I swing in my 6/7 Lhurgoyfs and he drops to 4 after not blocking. I play my third Goyf and pass. Dave plays some spells and doesn't find a land, just more cantrips. I have a board of 4 lands, Top, 2 tapped Goyfs, one untapped. I have Force of Will only in hand with Spell Pierce and Force of Will as the known cards on top of my library. I am on 11 life. Dave is on 4 life with 2x Terravore (5/5's), Knight of the Reliquary (5/5) and some lands. He has two cards left in hand. He grips my Top and plays a Goyf. I am in trouble. Dave at this point zones out and swings with his two Terravores. I snap block one with my Goyf and Dave realizes what he has done. He goes through the motions anyway, and I get to swing in for the W.

7-0-2 (Games 14-5-3)

Finals Token with ThoperCounterTop

I wish after some of the epic games I had today that the finals were more exciting than they actually were. I ran out a Turn 2 Goyf with Force backup both games and they just went the distance. It also helped that he played maybe six spells total between the two games.

8-0-2 (Games 16-5-3)

I ended up with 4x Underground Sea and 4x Badlands to go with my sweet Jupiter Games trophy.

PROPS:
    My Round 7 opponent for doing the right thing and scooping me in. Thanks for not dreamcrushing!
    Eli, Ryan, Ron and Mindi for running a great event, with all the other staff at GP Atlanta, you guys kicked ass!
    Me for remembering I was running Polluted Deltas and not Flooded Strands and changing it on my deck reg before it was too late!
    Patnode for also top 8.
    BFS for a solid 9th/moral top 8.

SLOPS:
    Barnello for running the same 75 and scrubbing out.
    Adam Phillips for not being willing to drive me home.
    Team Left Fields mysterious absence from this event.
    The weather that claimed our entrants.
    Last edited by munkie; 01-26-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Team Sexy - Better Than Ever, Still Better Than You

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: **1st Place** Jupiter Games 40 Duals 40 Fetches 1/22/11

Great job on the tournament with a fairly stock list on 4c countertop. Any thoughts on Clique throughout the tournament? I've always found the card underwhelming and not as pivotal as it should for a 3cc card. Cheers!

Congratulations!

Where can I find the thopter list please, I love this deck but manage to speed it up.

Thx.

Go Team Left Field!!!!!!!!!! Horobi and Jareth (Dr. House) are very proud.
    Jander78's Kid Brother

Aw I miss my kitties. I gotta come see them/you sometime soon Tom!

Vendilion Clique was the STONES.

Nice work, Alex. Wish I were there; it sounds like the event was a lot of fun. From the read, you appear to have earned a lot of your matches grinding it out and cutting it close in some games. Drawing that early that many times isn't easy to overcome, and you managed to pull it out in the end.

Slops also to your Round Four opponent not willing to concede. Again, draws like that early in the tournament can be devastating to tie-breaking procedures. Of course, you cant really fault that person for not wanting to lose.

I will be at the one in February, guaranteed.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by munkie View Post
    SLOPS:
    Team Left Fields mysterious absence from this event.
    Well, I was there too!

Good job man. I knew you could take it down!
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

Other than Rick, obv.

That kid in the second round was me, and my name was A.J.. T.J. is a shitty nickname and if that was mine i might have had to kill myself.

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/...e-ink-treader/

Adam got it right. We both couldn't remember so we both guessed one.

Unfortunately, he got my age right on this one and u got mine wrong on yours cause im 13. But u guys should be proud knowing that 2 halfs of a brain make a whole. Just joking. Obviously u beat me so u must be better than me
    I am Lebron Jim's son.

i hope we meet again one day when u dont draw the nuts g1 and 3 and i can truly crush u like u deserve for beating a helpless 13 year old
    I am Lebron Jim's son.

First: I said you were 13. So I was right on that one.

Second: You must be getting me confused with someone else that smashed you. I didn't need three games.

May 2010
    abqnm

Quote Originally Posted by ThatKid View Post
    That kid in the second round was me, and my name was A.J.. T.J. is a shitty nickname and if that was mine i might have had to kill myself.
    Thatkid for president imo.

So how did that repeal slot work out for you? In my CB lists I tend to just run the EE anyways...
    Island, go.

It was fine. Used it to bounce a Top and EE so I could Counterbalance the spell.

Nov 2005
    Syracuse NY

Top 8 decklists posted somewhere?

A espancar até enjoar...
    Aug 2010
    Lisbon

Congratulations munkie for the fantastic result.
    I'm playing with the same list except "Engineered Explosives" but my problem is the sideboard, because i don´t know what to side out
    Coud you please tell me the side pland for those matchups:

Fast Zoo: (IN. 2 Blue Blast, Submerge, 2 Krosan Grip, 1 Firespout )
    (OUT. 2 Vendilion Clique, don't know the rest )

Big Zoo: ( IN. 2 Blue Blast, Submerge, 2 Pithing Needle, 2 Krosan Grip )
    ( OUT. 2 Repeal, 2 Vendilion Clique, 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, 1 Counterbalance ? , 1 Sensei's Divining Top ? )

Merfolks: (IN. 3 Pyroblast, 2 Sower of Temptation, 1 Firespout, 2 Pithing Needle, 2 Krosan Grip )
    (OUT. 2 Repeal, 3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, don't know the rest )

Ad Nauseam: (IN. 3 Pyroblast, 2 Spell Pierce )
    (OUT. 3 Firespout, 2 Swords to Plowshares )

Belcher: (IN. 2 Spell Pierce, 2 Blue Blast, 1 Firespout, 2 Krosan Grip )
    (OUT. 4 Swords to Plowshares, 3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor )

Landstill: (IN. 3 Pyroblast, 2 Pithing Needle, 2 Spell Pierce, 2 Krosan Grip)
    (OUT. 3 Firespout, 4 Swords to Plowshares, 2 Repeal )

Goblins: (IN. 2 Blue Blast, 1 Firespout, 2 Pithing Needle, 2 Krosan Grip )
    (OUT. 3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, 2 Repeal, don't know the rest )

Countertop: (IN. 2 Pithing Needle, 2 Krosan Grip, 2 Sower of Temptation, 3 Pyroblast )
    (OUT. 3 Firespout, don't know the rest )
    Acima de nós só DEUS...

@ Carlitobunz: Decklists are here

http://jupitergamesonline.com/sites/...s_20110122.htm

@ Catitus

I make a lot of sideboarding decisions based on being on the play vs being on the draw. I was having no problems siding out 1 CB and 1 Top when I needed to, mostly on the draw I would do this. Here is a simple sideboarding guide for run of the mill lists for these archetypes:

Zoo

IN- 2 Blue Blast, 2 Sower, 1 Firespout
    OUT- 1 Counterbalance, 1 Top, 3 Jace

Merfolk

IN- 3 Pyroblast, 1 Firespout, 2 Pithing Needle
    OUT- 3 Jace, 1 Repeal, 1 Counterbalance, 1 Top

New Horizons

IN- 3 Pyroblast, 2 Sower, 2 Spell Pierce, 1 Submerge
    OUT- 2 Jace, 1 Repeal, 3 Firespout, 1 Counterbalance, 1 Top

Goblins

IN- 1 Firespout, 2 Grip, 2 Blue Blast, 2 Needle
    OUT- 3 Jace, 1 Counterbalance, 1 Top, 2 Spell Snare

ANT

IN- 3 Pyroblast, 2 Spell Pierce
    OUT- 3 Firespout, 1 Repeal, 1 EE

Belcher

IN- 2 Blue Blast, 2 Spell Pierce, 2 Needle
    OUT- 4 STP, 1 Jace, 1 Repeal
    (maybe different if they play Swarm)

Countertop

IN- 2 Krosan Grip, 2 Sower, 3 Blast
    OUT- 3 Firespout, 1 STP, 1 Jace, 1 Top, 1 Counterbalance

Let me know if you want my input on anything else.

Yeah I got u two confused it was the other way around and thanks for fixing the name
    I am Lebron Jim's son.

Thread Information