Page 252 of 509 FirstFirst ... 152202242248249250251252253254255256262302352 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,040 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Siege-Gang Commander
    Feb 2008
    The Netherlands

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by markbris View Post
    There was a list back a few years ago that did really well at the big gp madrid, I still have the list and ill dig it up. It ran forces brainstorm standstill and stifle. I played it on cockatrice and its god hands are rediculous. You could go lackey, force their removal, drop scg and play standstill. That list was a lot less resilient though.
    Or you could simply play Merfolk..

Jan 2007
    Birmingham, AL

Yea and thats kind of what I meant, it might as well have been at that point any other blue tempo deck and was probably worse at it than others. The concept intrigues me though. His list is below, you will have to translate a couple cards but as you can see its a weird mixture of a tempo deck and goblins.

4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Siege-Gang Comander
    3 Cacique trasgo
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Blood Moon
    4 FoW
    4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Threads of Disloyalty
    2 Parada
    2 Stifle
    4 Fetch UR
    2 Fetch UB
    2 Fetch UW
    4 Volcanic Island
    4 Erial
    4 Mutavault
    1 Isla
    1 Mountain

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

I went to Elmira today to play in this 1.5k tournament they have at mythic games. Anyways, the list.

4 Goblin pildriver
    4 Goblin ringleader
    4 goblin matron
    4 goblin lackey
    3 goblin warchief
    2 gempalm incenerator
    2 stingscourger
    2 goblin chieftain
    3 mogg war marshal
    1 siege-gang commander
    1 krenko, mob boss
    1 tuktuk scrapper

4 aether vial
    3 warren weirding

4 badlands
    4 arid mesa
    4 wasteland
    4 mountain
    3 rishadan port
    3 cavern of souls

I havent updated this list in a while but i managed to go 4-1 and draw into top 8. There were 36 people attending and at noon, we started the tournament. I made changes to the sideboard which you could see here. (finished sideboard)

3 chalice of the void
    4 cabal therapy
    3 relic of progenitus
    2 REB
    1 pyrokinesis
    2 perish

Round 1 vs BUG landstill
    game 1: The first couple turns of the game starts with him casting standstill and going draw, go for a couple turns. Then, I break the standstill with ringleader which i manage to get through with cavern of souls. He plays land, life in the loam, then pass. In a couple turns, he plays a deed, blows it up and casts another standstill. I manage to tear through this one too, then, in a couple of turns, chieftan and krenko take over the game
    game 2: I wasteland his color sources and he just scoops. The board was lackey, ringleader, and piledriver for me, double wasteland for him.
    1-0

Round 2 vs. reanimator
    game 1: I draw the nuts and he cant get a creature in play in time for him to come back. double piledriver and warchief usually do the work.
    game 2: He just crushes me with griselbrand and i kept a sketchy hand. I also had no hate at all
    game 3: I just keep a hand with stingscourger and he just was on the show and tell plan. I win.
    2-0

Round 3 vs jund
    game 1: He just goes deathrite, deathrite, tarmogoyf, bloodbraid elf, that's enough to do it
    game 2: I eventually win with piledriver and warchief and a bunch of removal.
    game 3: Look into game 1. Its pretty much the same except there is a lilianna of the veil involved
    2-1

Round 4 vs scapeshift
    game 1: I win by just being faster than him and he has no scapeshift.
    game 2: he gets to 7 lands and scapeshifts. I do nothing. Nuff said.
    game 3: I just play a bunch of creatures and deal him a lot of damage until he deeds me. The board is empty and i topdeck ringleader when he's at one life. It has haste. He reveals the top card of his deck and turns out to be scapeshift.... ironic
    3-1

round 5 vs mono black control
    game 1: I play piledriver, warchief, into ringleader. That does it.
    game 2: he plays a bunch of discard and engineered plague. He puts me in topdeck mode with lily, bob, and factory in play. I scoop
    game 3: I get a hyper-aggresive hand and lackey hits. nuff said
    4-1

Round 6: I draw in
    4-1-1

There are alot of combo decks in the top 8. Shit. I eventually get paired against elves and im on the play because im 4th
    top 8: vs elves
    game 1; he kills me with craterhoof behemoth.
    game 2: I have chalice on one and two. I just play goblins when he does nothing.
    game 3: I make an epic punt by swinging with almost all of my creatures and keeping one open. Wow, i'm an idiot.

Eventually, i buy the stuff for RW goblins with some money and 75 bucks of store credit. Overall, i had a good day and im glad i at least got store credit.

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

How Army Loyalist has been working out for you guys? I heard Trampling First Striking Piledrivers are awesome.

In my testing, it has been nothing but pure awesomeness:

Lands [19]
    11 Mountain
    4 Wasteland
    4 Cavern of Souls

Goblins [34]
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Warchief
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    4 Goblin Matron
    3 Army Loyalist
    3 Warren Instigator
    3 Stingscourger
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Gempalm Incinerator

Spells [7]
    4 AEther Vial
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 Tarfire

Sideboard [15]
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Confusion in the Ranks
    1 TukTuk Scrapper

This list is a mess, but can enable very strong openings and I've been having a lot of fun. Give it a try and reach your own conclusions.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

I went to a GPT in Strasbourg for GP Strasbourg :D yesterday. There were 18 players. The meta was quite diverse (Dredge, Jund, Omnitell, Goblins, Elves, Esper, Belcher, Junk, BUG, ...)
    We went there from Germany with 4 people, and met 4 other germans there.

My List:

Creatures (33)
    4x Goblin Lackey
    4x Warren Instigator
    4x Goblin Matron
    4x Goblin Ringleader
    4x Goblin Chieftain
    3x Gempalm Incinerator
    3x Goblin Piledriver
    1x Skirk Prospector
    1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1x Siege-Gang Commander
    1x Krenko, Mob Boss
    1x Goblin Sharpshooter
    1x Stingscourger
    1x Tuktuk Scrapper

Spells (5)
    2x Tarfire
    3x Aether Vial

Lands (22)
    4x Wasteland
    2x Arid Mesa
    1x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Wooded Foothills
    1x Gemstone Caverns
    4x Cavern of Souls
    2x Plateau
    4x Mountain

SB:
    1x Boartusk Liege
    4x Chalice of the Void
    2x Oblivion Ring
    1x Confusion in the Ranks
    3x Ethersworn Canonist
    4x Rest in Peace

Match 1 vs. Nic Fit with Punishing Fire and Scapeshift(wishboard)+valakut
    He was one of those people i came there with and played alot against him. It's kinda frustrating if you travel some kilometers just to play against each others in the first round. Anyway ...
    Game 1: I keep a slow start with Vial and some stuff. He drops T1 S.Top and while the game continues I draw bad and Cabal Therapy decimites my hand. Thragtusk keeps him alive and BWish+Pyroclasm cleans the board. Grove + Pfire makes it even worse. GG 0-1
    Game 2: Went kinda same, I boarded in 3 RiP, Boartusk Liege, Keeping his Veteran Exploreres from activating and Punishing Fire from returning but the start was too slow, again Thragtusk kills it followed by Primeval Titan getting the Valakut action rolling. 0-2

0-1
    -Kinda demotivated I continue to Match2

Match 2 vs. BUG Control(?)
    Game 1: I Keep a hand with Kiki, Chieftain, Tarfire and 4 Lands (1 Cavern). He begins T1 Inquisition discarding my Chieftain. I draw Lackey from top (lucky me), he gets innocent blooded. I draw Instigator from top (lucky me (2)), smash him on the field with caverns, my opponent sighs. he drops creeping tarpit and go. I draw Ringleader from top (lucky me (3)) Intigator connects to Ringleader 4 Goblins and 2nd Hit Kiki, he scoops.
    Game 2: I board in Boartusk. He starts with Inqusition again discarding my Lackey. Dunno excacly what I had, but it was something like Instigator on field, wasting his only green source, tropical. He can't find another with only brainstorm and no fetchlands. He dies to Instigator triggers with a Deed on his hand. 2-0

1-1
    -Now i'm fired up :D

Match 3 vs. Omnitell
    I didn't know what he played, haven't scouted him yet.
    Game 1: Keep decent hand with lackey, he begins and Preordains with us. I drop lackey. He drops Lotus Petal and Ponders. Lackey connects next turn dropping something (don't know anymore). He whishes for S&T, my next turn wasn't lethal and he drops A.Tomb S&T into Omniscience and combos. 0-1
    Game 2: I board in 3 Ethersworn, 2 ORing, 4 Chalice and 1 Confusion in the Ranks. I keep a Hand with 1 Oring, 1 Canonist, 1 Chalice and some Lands+Piledriver. I drop Firstturn Chalice on 0. He Ponders. I draw Instigator from top and play him. He needs some time to find his stuff and I keep drawing Goblins + another Oring, he finally finds Wish into S&T and casts it the turn after but Oring eats it. 1-1
    Game 3: Went the same i keep a hand with Plateau Canonist Oring Vial and Stuff. He ponders/brainstorms/preordains the first turns, I cast Vial and didnt want to wait for it to be on 2 to drop canonist, hence he got dazed on my T2. But Oring eats Omniscience again, he sighs and tries to find another one but the Goblins ate him too fast. 2-1

2-1
    Top8 i'm coming.

Match 4 vs. Belcher
    Again haven't scouted him. He was german too but not one of my mates. He told me he haven't scouted me neither so I begin
    Game 1: drop Arid Mesa to not show much of my deck at first, no T1 drop but Instigator and Matron on hand. He shows me Land Grants and his hand being short on 1 Mana to activate Belcher because he had 2 on his hand, dropping one of them on the field having a green Chrome Mox Taiga and Belcher in play and 3 Mana Rite of Flames in hand. I waste his Taiga leaving him with only G. He draws go. I play Caverns Instigator. He draws go. Instigator connects into Matron into Tuktuk destroying his Belcher. He can't come up from that again. 1-0
    Game 2: I board in Canonists and Chalices. I keep 2 wastelands, Gemstone caverns, land and stuff and hope for topdeck chalice or canonist if he doesn't kill me T1. I start with Caverns in play removing Wasteland, he thinks the card is funny. He says go without doing anything. I topdeck Canonist and drop him on the field. He was confused at first and next turn instigator connecting into matron tuktuk destroing his LED he dropped after canonist entered the field and a Piledriver followning he scoops. He couldn't believe he lost to Goblins, neither did I :D 2-0

3-1
    Nice.

Match 5 vs. Elves.
    We draw into Top8. No Game.
    I go get something to eat and come back for the T8.

Quarter Final:
    Again against my mate with the Nic Fit ...
    Game 1: I waste a taiga and he Pfires his own Veteran (kinda greedy) which lost the game for him. My T1 Vial, T2 Instigator which connects later into RingleaderS and drop Piledriver, he drops Deed with 2 mana open I attack for potential dropping him on 2 HP, he should have known I got a Tarfire with Ringleader, he takes the damage and dies. I told him he knew I had Tarfire, he said "Oh, right ..." but was lost for him anyways. 1-0
    Game 2: I mull on 5. I have a nice hand with Vial Instigator Chieftain but get swiped by wish Pyroclasm. I slowly recover, dropping matron T3 getting Ringleader who got Cabal Therapy'd. I topdeck another one who revealed me Gempalm and Piley. But 1 Thragtusk drop followed by Titan again killed me. 1-1
    Game 3: I have to mull to 5 again. Slow start, making some pressure but getting killed by 2 Thragtusk who enter the field in 2 following turns,SCG can't help, he gets Pfired and the next turn he drops Titan. I scoop. 1-2

What I got from yesterday:
    Warren Instigator was my MVP. Gemstone Caverns best card in Legacy! :D RiP wasn't that good, but I haven't played MU where it would have rocked. Ethersworn can be better over Thalia, because I kills Omniescience Combo and you can't play around it with other combo decks like Hightide. Another Goblin list made it to the Top8 dropped at Quarter Finals aswell. He played the standard list with Warchiefs. He dropped against Belcher. Overall i'm happy with the RW and Instigator+Chieftain over Warchief+MWM, you have way more agressive drops. One Lackey can be handled but if you smash a T2 Doublestrike Lackey on the table they often don't have a second answer. Followed by Chieftain is beast.
    Too bad I didn't won the 3 byes, Final was Belcher vs. Esper, don't know how it ended, we went back home because the Trial started at 14:30 and we finished at 21:30 having to drive ~2,5h back home again.

Strasbourg is an interessting city and I'm looking forward to the GP there. Maybe I see some Goblin Buddys play and hopefully win there ;)
    Last edited by Fuwatanity; 03-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I finished 1st at my LGS with my Gobbos :)

Rnd 1: Miracles 2-1
    Rnd 2: Belcher 2-0
    Rnd 3: Burn 2-0

:)
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I must point out a misplay I just watched on SCG live:

Goblins V Loam Control. Goblins on the play G3.

T1 Goblins plays Lackey off Caver.
    T1 Loam plays Wooded Foothills then Mox Diamond. Plays Thoughtseize off Mox and Goblins player reveals Wasteland, 3 other lands, and a Chieftain. Pretty bad hand. Loam player takes the Chieftain.
    T2 Goblins player rips a Matron! Rejoice! Then he plays Plateau or something and attacks into the Wooded Foothills, and Loam player fetches up a Dryad Arbor and blocks. The goblins player had seen Dryad Arbor in G2 and was well aware it was in the deck. He should have played the Wasteland before attacking instead of Plateau, since Waste would have allowed him to kill the Dryad before blocks, connect with Lackey, and grab Ringleader with Matron. Instead he slowed his clock way down and blew his chances of winning.

@Fuwatanity, thanks for the writeup. Som thoughts:

Match 1 Game 2: You board in 3 RiP, Boartusk Liege, but I see the following cuts for you:
    3x Gempalm Incinerator
    1x Skirk Prospector
    1x Goblin Sharpshooter
    1x Stingscourger
    1x Tuktuk Scrapper

Why did you not board the 4th RIP and 2ORings as well?
    1x Boartusk Liege
    2x Oblivion Ring
    4x Rest in Peace

Match 2 Game 1: One of the real strengths of Goblins is how well it mulligans. Why did you think that a turn 3 2/2 was a good hand? You are dead to almost any deck in the format with that opener. Do you think in hindsight you should have mulled to 6?

Match 3 Game 2: "I board in 3 Ethersworn, 2 ORing, 4 Chalice and 1 Confusion in the Ranks." What did you SB out? That is a lot of cards. It looks like overloading on hate is good even if it severely dilutes the goblin core of the deck eh?

Quarter Final: How did you SB for Nic Fit?

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

Could someone give me a solid white goblins list that is good in a metagame with alot of combo, deathrite decks, and other?

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    @Fuwatanity, thanks for the writeup. Som thoughts:

Match 1 Game 2: You board in 3 RiP, Boartusk Liege, but I see the following cuts for you:
    3x Gempalm Incinerator
    1x Skirk Prospector
    1x Goblin Sharpshooter
    1x Stingscourger
    1x Tuktuk Scrapper

Why did you not board the 4th RIP and 2ORings as well?
    1x Boartusk Liege
    2x Oblivion Ring
    4x Rest in Peace

Match 2 Game 1: One of the real strengths of Goblins is how well it mulligans. Why did you think that a turn 3 2/2 was a good hand? You are dead to almost any deck in the format with that opener. Do you think in hindsight you should have mulled to 6?

Match 3 Game 2: "I board in 3 Ethersworn, 2 ORing, 4 Chalice and 1 Confusion in the Ranks." What did you SB out? That is a lot of cards. It looks like overloading on hate is good even if it severely dilutes the goblin core of the deck eh?

Quarter Final: How did you SB for Nic Fit?
    I did board in boartusk, 2 rings and RiP in the Quarterfinals.

In Match 2 Game 1 I played pretty risky on top deck, should have lost it with that starting hand that's true, but I was in the mood to gamble and it turned out well :D
    ingl
    Match 3 Game 2 I boarded Gemstone Caverns, Tuktuk, Skirk, Sharpshooter, 2 Tarfire, 3 Gempalm and either 1 Kiki/SGC or Ringleader, dunno anymore. It was UR Omnitell, so the only real thread was Omniscience, which left me with enough time, once i have a oblivionring, confusion or ethersworn in hand. So i guess it's not too bad to overload vs this deck. Also, most of the cards i boarded out were useless in the matchup anyways.

1k Tournament Report: Presented by superspaceshooter
    -----------------------------------------------------

Without further adieu, the decklist:

Thrablins'
    ----------

4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Goblin Warchief
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    2 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Goblin Piledriver
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    ---30 Goblins---

4 AEther Vial
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    ---7 Other Spells---

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Rishidan Port
    4 Wasteland
    4 Arid Mesa
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Plateau
    3 Mountain
    ---23 Land---

2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Confusion in the Ranks
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Boartusk Liege
    ---15 Sideboard Cards---

And on to the matches:

Round 1: Mono-Red Burn

In playtesting, this seemed like a decently unfavorable matchup.

Game 1: On the play, I get down an AEther Vial on turn 1. He drops a Goblin Guide and starts the attack. I cast a Mogg War Marshal on turn 2, ticking up the Vial, and then get a clean double block on the Guide (which gave me some lands.) Turn 3 I Matron for something to speed up my clock, and Vial in a Thalia against his 2 Suspended Rift Bolts. He pays 2 mana to drop me to 11 and passes the turn without a 3rd land. I'm able to assemble a lethal attack force before he can burn me out.

Sideboarding: +2 Pyrokinesis, +1 Boartusk Liege, -1 Goblin Sharpshooter -1 Tuktuk Scrapper, -1 Siege-Gang Commander

I was trying to speed the deck up a bit, not worrying about potential Ensnaring Bridges.

Game 2: He starts off with 2 Goblin Guides, and while my hand is reasonable with a Vial and a good curve of Goblins, I barely lose to a Barbarian Ring fueled by a Fireblast.

Game 3: I mulligan to 6 and open a hand with a Plateau, Goblin Lackey, and the rest gas. I keep. I play my land and Goblin Lackey and pray. He plays sac-land, sacs it, gets a Mountain...and casts a Goblin Guide! I'm not out of the woods yet...oh wait, what's this? He's attacking? And revealing a second land? Oh glorious day! I Lackey in a Chieftain and play a War Marshal, and although a later Vexing Devil does do a good job defensively, I'm able to force his burn on my neverending supply of creatures until victory!

1-0, 2-1

Round 2: Esper Stoneblade

Game 1: On the play, he Forces my turn 1 Lackey. My turn 2 Lackey, on the other hand, sticks. He brainstorms quite a few times, but the majority of his plays were Vendilion Cliques and Lingering Souls, while I played semi-cautiously and just won with 1/1 Goblins, holding back some reserves.

Sideboarding: -2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, +1 Pyroblast +1 Red Elemental Blast

Thalia isn't super hot against Stone-Blade I presumed, and I wanted a couple decent reactive spells for Cliques, Jace, and of course Brainstorm if necessary.

Game 2: I get a couple Vials down early, stuck on 1 land. He plays a Stoneforge Mystic off of Swamp and Tundra, but I use my only other land in the game, a Wasteland, to destroy the Tundra. So we're both on 1 land for the longest time, but again, I have 2 Vials. By the time he gets his second land and can flash in a Batterskull, I'm able to swing with enough creatures (2 Matrons, 2 Ringleaders, 1 each of Chieftain and Warchief, Siege-Gang and his followers, and probably 2 Lackeys as well to win through a blocking Batterskull.)

2-0, 4-1

Round 3: RUG Delver

Game 1: I play Cavern of Souls on Goblin, cast a Goblin Lackey, to which he Forces pitching a Spell Pierce...turn 2 he stifles the Lackey's ability off of a Volcanic Island. He misses his second land drop. I make an impressive board the following turn and he scoops.

I saw: Force of Will, Spell Pierce, Volcanic Island, and Stifle. Presuming he was on RUG Delver, this was my sideboarding:

Sideboarding: -3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben -1 Goblin Sharpshooter, +2 Relic of Progenitus +2 Rest in Peace

I should have also boarded out a Tuktuk Scrapper for maybe 1 of the Thalias or a Pyroblast too.

Game 2: He stifles a few of my spells, including my Relics (after I was forced to use it against an Ancient Grudge.) He loses in combat a few times thanks to the power of Chieftain not revealing his pumping (because it's not MODO!) His Mongoose holds off my army for a bit until I either make it too big or draw another graveyard depleter. Rest in Peace.

3-0, 6-1

Round 4: Goblins

Game 1: He Tarfires my first 3 Goblin Lackeys (with me on 1 land after a mulligan). I quickly die to multiple Goblin Piledrivers.

Sideboarding: -3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, +2 Pyrokinesis +1 Boartusk Liege

Game 2: I cycle an Incinerator killing his Warren Instigator, and have a fairly good curve and good cards, but he has an AEther Vial and an equally good draw. The 2-3 cards extra that he plays every turn plus insane Goblin Ringleader-hits puts the game out of reach.

3-1, 6-3

Round 5: Goblins

He's my friend playing the same deck. It's a 6-round tournament, and 4-1-1 is good for top 8. We can either split this round and both try to win the next round, or he could concede to me and still make it at 4-2 with a win the next round (since he had insane tiebreakers.) Since this was strictly better, we went with it. I would give him a split if he won and didn't make it.

4-1, 6-3

Round 6: Split against BUG

4-1-1, 6-3

My Goblin friend loses to the Esper Stoneblade player I beat earlier.

Top 8: RUG Delver

Game 1: I knew he was playing RUG Delver. My hand is: Goblin Ringleader, Goblin Matron, Goblin Warchief, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Mountain, Arid Mesa, Rishidan Port. I wanted to play around Stifle, but as I sacrificed my fetchland on the play, I realized Wasteland was far more likely. He Wastelands my fetched Plateau. Turn 2, I drop a Mountain and pass. He doesn't have another land!!!??? I play Rishidan Port and pass, with all 3-drops and above. He hits a Volcanic Island and Brainstorms in response to an end of turn Port. I miss my third land. He begins to draw out of it while I miss my 3rd land for the rest of the game (until the final turn, of course when it's too late per the usual.)

Sideboarding: -3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraban -1 Tuktuk Scrapper, +2 Relic of Progenitus, +2 Rest in Peace.

Not sure why there's a Goblin Sharpshooter still in there though :0

Game 2: I feel like I have a decent start, but he quickly assembles 2 Tarmogoyf, 1 Nimble Mongoose, and 1 Scavenging Ooze. This illustrates perfectly why you board in all of your graveyard-hate and almost none of the Blasts.

Result: 5th place
    Prize: $40.00

What I learned: Splashing seems very bad in Goblins. Not only does it ruin your Goblin count, but also hurts the land base a lot. Fetchlands deal damage, get Stifled, help opposing cards such as Deathrite Shaman and Tarmogoyf, and are there to fetch dual lands that get Wastelanded. The cards I was splashing, Thalia and Rest in Peace, are replaceable by effects already available in Mono-Red, without having to babysit your manabase (Thorn of Amethyst and Relic of Progenitus for instance.) The black splash for Warren Weirding is respectable, since it's a Goblin, but again, the manabase takes a hit. I am going to work on a mono-red list very soon!

That's it for the tournament report, I hope you all enjoyed it!

"And have a wonderful day!" - superspaceshooter
    Last edited by superspaceshooter; 03-11-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

My list:

4 Goblin Lackey (would never cut this guy, no way ever, allows for things that are WAY TOO unfair, ie:T2 SGC, Ringleader)
    4 Gempalm Incinerator (deals with creatures that are too big for my small 1/1s)
    4 Goblin Warchief (accelerates the deck too much, would never drop down to below 4)
    4 Goblin Matron (tutors for everything needed G1)
    4 Goblin Ringleader (Recall on legs, 'nuff said)
    3 Goblin Piledriver (allows for T3 kills, it BEATS face)
    2 Goblin Chieftain (haste and a lord, not much more can be said other than its hyper-aggressive)
    2 Siege-Gang Commander (5/5 for 5, versatile but mana cost is high, 2 is a good number)
    1 Skirk Prospector (acceleration and it gives game vs Dredge G1, I'll take it)
    1 Stingscourger (get rids of SO many problematic things, I love this guy)
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter (meta call, a lot of Elves at my LGS so I keep him main)
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper (I hate Jitte)
    1 MWM (my LGS didn't have many, but I might switch it for a Sparky from the SB since it deals with Entreat the Angels tokens)

4 AEther Vial (Blue Mage's nightmare, gave me my wins vs control decks)
    2 Tarfire (simply amazing in the deck, deals with SO many things and is tutorable, one of my MVPs)

4 Cavern of Souls (tailor-made for Goblins, would never go below 4)
    3 Rishidan Port (mana-locks the opponent, but 4 is too many since the deck can get pretty mana-hungry)
    4 Wasteland (kills ALL problem lands in Legacy, never go below 4)
    4 Arid Mesa (fetches Mountains/Plateaus)
    2 Scalding Tarn (fetches Mountains/Plateaus)
    2 Plateau
    4 Mountain

My SB:

3 Thalia (combo & unfair decks)
    3 RiP (Reanimator/Dredge/graveyard decks)
    1 Relic (same as RiP, but I add it since I like to have at least 4 SB hate vs Dredge and such)
    2 Sparky (kills things with high toughness)
    4 Pyroblast (I hate Blue, ie:kill Jace, counter Snap, etc.)
    2 Others (haven't decided yet)

What are your thoughts? I think I'm starting to become pretty good with Goblins, its an amazing deck.
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

After reading the last pages, I would like would to try this built:

Lands (22)
    4x Cavern of Souls
    3x Wasteland
    2x Rishadan Port
    7x Fetches
    4x Mountain
    2x Plateau

Creatures (32)
    4x Goblin Lackey
    4x Goblin Matron
    4x Goblin Ringleader
    4x Goblin Warchief
    4x Goblin Piledriver
    3x Gempalm Incinerator
    3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2x Mogg War Marshal
    1x Skirk Prospector
    1x Stingscourger
    1x Krenko, Mob Boss
    1x Siege-Gang Commander

Spells (6)
    2x Tarfire
    4x Aether Vial

Sideboard:
    4x Rest in Peace
    3x Oblivion Ring
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Pyrokinesis
    1x Goblin Sharpshooter

Unfortunately I dont' have time to test much. And when I test, it's only against Infect-Combo, Stiflenought and U/W Control. There is not so much Legacy play in my city...

Thanks for your opinion for my list, do you have any suggestions? Maye cut a Warchief for a Chieftain?
    Last edited by aequi; 03-11-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by aequi View Post
    After reading the last pages, I would like would to try this built:

~decklist~

Thanks for your opinion for my list, do you have any suggestions? Maye cut a Warchief for a Chieftain?
    Did you mean to have 4 Warchiefs in the decklist then? I'm seeing 4 Chieftains... if that's what was Intended, yes, I'd cut a Warchief for a Chieftain. :)

I prefer more toolbox-y builds, so I would want less Piledrivers to sneak a Legion Loyalist and another Mogg War Marshal in.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Did you mean to have 4 Warchiefs in the decklist then? I'm seeing 4 Chieftains... if that's what was Intended, yes, I'd cut a Warchief for a Chieftain. :)

I prefer more toolbox-y builds, so I would want less Piledrivers to sneak a Legion Loyalist and another Mogg War Marshal in.
    Ooops, yes it's 4x Warchief main ;-)

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

how do you guys feel about the black goblins splash? It seems good if show and tell keeps on doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by goblinsplayer View Post
    how do you guys feel about the black goblins splash? It seems good if show and tell keeps on doing well.
    Well, Warren Weirding is decent, but does not have an effect that isn't repeatable by a card like Stingscourger. In fact, in testing against Reanimator, Stingscourger putting the card back into their hand proved to even better than killing it!

Other black options such as Cabal Therapy do have merit, particularly against Hive Mind or Omniscience versions of Show and Tell, but again, red still provides pliable answers such as Pyroblast/Red Elemental Blast and a bevvy of cards to put into play off of Show and Tell to beat certain versions, such as Confusion in the Ranks or Thorn of Amethyst.

Here's how I see splashing in Goblins:

Black: Probably the best splash. Warren Weirding is fantastic, Cabal Therapy can be insane, and Perish is terrific out of the board.

Green: Tin Street Hooligan is a nice upgrade to Tuktuk Scrapper, but its disynergy with Goblin Warchief and AEther Vial/Goblin Lackey is a let-down. It gets much better in the "Winstigator" builds that run Chieftains over Warchiefs, especially considering its cheap body fits that deck's aggression a lot better. Krosan Grip is the premier sideboard card for the green splash, fitting the theme of trying to make all of your effects uncounterable (whether they be tied to lands, made uncounterable by effects such as Cavern, Lackey, or Vial, or have Split-Second.)

White: Thalia helps to beat your worst matchups, and combines with Wasteland and Rishidan Port to lock slower opponents out of the game. Vial and Cavern of Souls make Thalia even better. Rest in Peace works as the selling point of the splash in the sideboard.

Blue: Blue doesn't really offer up much of an answer card in the maindeck or sideboard that you don't already have access to. Counterspells are unnecessary because of the Blasts (I don't really want to counter much outside of Show and Tell.) Bounce is likely worse than just killing a problem Enchantment/Artifact out of the Green Splash.

Summary:

Black Splash: Great tutorable Goblin, sick hand disruption, insane sweeper against decks like RUG and Elves.
    Green Splash: Best variant of Shatter-Goblin (if played properly), best answer to Moat/Engineered Plague/Counterbalance/Ensnaring Bridge/etc.
    White Splash: Best maindeckable answer to Goblins worst matchups, best graveyard hoser.
    Blue Splash: No obvious redeeming qualities to make up for a butchered manabase (compared to straight mono-red that is.)

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having an awesome Spring Break (and for the one's who are not, I hope you are having a good day as well but I would like your opinion on my upgraded deck that I have been working during these couple of days.)

Here is my deck:

Artifact: 4
    4x Aether Vials

Creatures: 34
    4x Goblin Lackey's
    4x Goblin Matron's
    4x Goblin Ringleader's
    4x Goblin Warchief's
    4x Goblin Piledriver
    3x Gempalm Incinerator
    2x Mogg War Marshall
    2x Stingscourcher
    1x Goblin Chieftain
    1x Goblin Lookout (Give some +2/+0 to my Goblins so they can do much more than being 1/1's or 2/2's.)
    1x Lightning Crafter (Love exiling my Matron or Ringleader so I can do it again, if he dies : D)
    1x Legion Loyalist (Play him out once I get my Piledrivers and with haste! BAM!! GG!!)
    1x Krenko, Mob Boss
    1x Siege-Gang Commander
    1x Skirk Prospestor

Lands: 20x
    4x Auntie's Hovel
    8x Mountain
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Rishadan Port's

Spells: 2x
    2x Tarfires (Thinking of removing one Tarfire to have three Stingscourchers: should I do it or not?!?!?!)

Sideboard: 15x
    3x Earwig Squad
    3x Mindbreak Trap
    3x Relic of Progentius (Thinking of replacing these with Rakdos Charm's)
    2x Angel of Despair (Thinking of replacing with Thorn of Amethyst or something else.)
    2x Pyrokinesis
    1x Tutuk Scrapper
    1x Goblin Sharpshooter

I have been giving a lot of thought and this is what I came up with! I have been thinking of putting Rakdos Charm's but am not quite sure on them. If I were to get them, I think I would replace them for my Relic of Progenitus or run two and two of each. Also, Earwig Squad is a arrow-to-the-heart when it comes to exiling those pesky cards I hate so much but in reality, what is Earwig Squad used for in Legacy Tournaments? Combo decks? There have been Cabal Therapy and Surgical Extraction but those are not cards I would want to draw when I use Ringleader. Nonetheless, there has always been something else that has been bothering my about placing in my deck:

Why is there a damn difference between Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast? What is better and don't both do the same thing...

Siege-Gang Commander
    Feb 2008
    The Netherlands

@Geeksire you could start by explaining why you made the changes to Enrico Fanciullini (1st out of 38) list that I posted two pages ago. Rakdos Charm allows you to connect lackey through DRS (which is very relevant right now), cleans graveyards and destroys artifacts. I think we can argue if Cavern of Souls is being over hyped.. the meta game has adjusted to it and goblin is now tier (2-)3; decks run more removal and stuff like DRS or even sweepers. Before decks adjusted it gave us an edge, but I dunno if that still outweighs the disadvantages (Wastelands not being able to cast non goblin splash cards). Enrico Fanciullini placed 1st place (which is as far as I know the only list that did so recently) without it so there might be some truth to the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeksire View Post
    Why is there a damn difference between Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast? What is better and don't both do the same thing...
    There is no difference for Goblins; only for Storm combo decks. Since Red Elemental Blast can target non blue spells while pyroblast can't.

/edit: in the past opponents often had to two (Force + pitch) for one our lackey.. now they often can't counter it because of CoS; so they just one for one it with a removal spell (or simply block it with DRS 0-1). We kinda lost early game card advantage there. I dunno if it's always the best choice to play an uncountable first turn lackey versus aggro-control.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Avatara View Post
    There is no difference for Goblins; only for Storm combo decks. Since Red Elemental Blast can target non blue spells while pyroblast can't.
    Actually I came once across a situation where ReB costed me the game where Pyroblast would have won. I was on the draw against Merfolk. He played land, I played Lackey. He played Phantasmal Image and copied Lackey. Since it was Red, Red Elemental Blast could not target it. Pyroblast would have killed the red Phantasmal Image lackey, and I'd have won.
    Nevertheless, there are decks that play Cabal Therapy, so splitting them is a good idea.

I think the discussion about Caverns is valid. Do you mind posting where I can find the list, and f there is, matchups and comments? Thanks.
    Edit: Got it. Nevermind. 20 lands sounds awfully low for the deck with the splash, even without Caverns....
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Thread Information