Page 313 of 509 FirstFirst ... 213263303309310311312313314315316317323363413 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,260 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It's starting to look like the Goblin thread is going the same way as the Elf thread. That being that we have a core we all agree on, but disagree on the little things.

Makes the deck more interesting this way if I may say so. Different voices, different choices, better end for all.

Sent from my mobile, forgive spelling and grammatical errors.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    So now does everybody bandwagon back to 2 SGC? And utility goblins over Tarfire?
    Because he made top 4 with a list that has brought him win since http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckd...&p_last=Davis? I don't think so.
    That said, awesome to see him play. Saw 0 mistakes. Only think the hand against elves Game 3 was bad. Lackey surely would not connect, and he had zero follow up (casting Vial and Matron really doesn't count), so I guess going down to 6 to find removal would be better than keeping that hand.
    Congratz to Jim anyway. Way to represent goblins!
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    In addition no Stingscourger.

I may have been onto something. I recently cut my Stingscourger from my main for a second Tin Street Hooligan. After double checking his list so did he. The biggest difference is that I was sideboarding Chalice of the Void instead of Thalia, Guardian of Thraban and I had 3 Gempalm Incinerators, 2 Tarfires, 1 Krenko Mob Boss over 4 Gempalm Incinerators, 2 Siege-Gang Commander.

It was becoming very rare that I actually want Stingscourger as he usually doesn't advance my board presence and causes card disadvantage. I realize the Tempo gained is usually very good but I've been playing the deck more and more mid-rangey, where being up 1 card is more important than temporarily moving the board.
    Scourger a weird toolbox card. One of the best Gobo players I've ever known likes to run him in multiples, because he's so good on T2, because late game he kills germ tokens, and because he's your only MD answer to a cheaty-face Emrakul in G1. Other players just can't stand him.

One thing that jumps out about Davis' list is that he has zero dedicated Show and Tell hate, because he's kept it as generic as possible. I can honestly see the value in just crossing your fingers and accepting that you aren't going to distort your list to account for a single card--the REB/Thalia plan has an outside chance against the S&T decks, after all--especially since he's got all the best "general purpose" cards you can have for the SB. But it's not an approach I can bring myself to take at my level of skill, so I gravitate to the blowout cards like Angel of Despair.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    It looked like he led with Lackey g1 even though he had Vial in hand and only 1 land. Against an unknown opponent I'd always lead with vial if I only have a 1 lander. He might have suspected his opponent was on combo though.
    It's an interesting point of debate among Gobo players, but I'm in the minority who likes T1 Lackey over an AEther Vial just about any time I'm on the play. Vial does get a lot worse over time, and you want it ticking up ASAP, but Lackey also gets infinitely worse after T1, sometimes becoming slightly better in the late game, so I like to go ahead and force an answer.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Quote Originally Posted by EluThingol View Post
    It's an interesting point of debate among Gobo players, but I'm in the minority who likes T1 Lackey over an AEther Vial just about any time I'm on the play. Vial does get a lot worse over time, and you want it ticking up ASAP, but Lackey also gets infinitely worse after T1, sometimes becoming slightly better in the late game, so I like to go ahead and force an answer.
    Goblin Lackey does get much worse but it also makes it so your opponent will leave a blocker behind. They have to respect Goblin Lackey even if you have no gas in hand, because they don't know about your hand.

I'd like to propose a counter point that may resolve your question.

Assumption: Opening hand is keep able with both a Goblin Lackey and an Aether Vial. You are playing against an unknown opponent.

What percentage of the field is more affected by a Turn 1 Goblin Lackey versus Aether Vial? In this case how good is Aether Vial versus the other categories.

What percentage of the field is more affected by a Turn 1 Aether Vial versus Goblin Lackey? In this case how good is Goblin Lackey versus the other categories.

I might be oversimplifying it but I would argue Goblin Lackey is at his best versus Combo and Control. I would argue Aether Vial is at its best versus Control and Aggro sans Hyper Aggression.

Combo being decks that are "Unfair." Try to win on Turn 1 - 4 via a set of effects that mostly does not care about your cards.

Control being decks that could theoretically play the card Counterspell, or mainboard board wipes such as Pernicious Deed or just playing Stax - drawing the game out to a war of attrition usually with very few creatures.

Aggro being of three breeds.
    One of which is Hyper Aggression, a deck that tries to run at you from turn 1 and kill you consistently on turn 3 or 4 via combat). Decks like Affinity and Infect. These may get treated like a combo deck because of their speed.

Tempo decks are decks that have faster deployment than its foe. This deck may not have more cards than you but theirs are out sooner and usually require incredibly tight play to manage correctly. Decks like this now include Delver of Secrets. I'm sure there are other reasons, but its hard to argue with the flying Wild Nacatl.

And Midrange decks such that usually use relatively large sized creatures to control the board and eventually win. These decks tend to do fairly well in a war of attrition. Cards usually included in these decks are Tarmogoyf, Aether Vial, Dark Confidant.

(I suppose there are Ramp strategies as well, but they historically have not done well in legacy with the exception of say, maybe, MUD.)

I'd be writing more in depth but I must head to work. I'll be back in about 12 hours.

Edit: I have returned from work.

Using this site (August 2013 Update) for my information our DTB today are RUG Delver, Deathblade, Shardless BUG, Sneak Attack, Death and Taxes, Jund, Elves, ANT, U/W Miracles (Rest in Pieces).

Control: DeathBLade, U/W Miracles (w/ Combo Kill)
    Combo: Sneak Attack, Elves, ANT
    Tempo: RUG Delver
    Midrange: Shardless BUG, Jund, Death and Taxes

The assumed metagame will have a large number of these decks.

5 Decks Goblin Lackey is good as a turn 1 play over Aether Vial:
    Combo: Sneak Attack, Elves, ANT

6 Decks Aether Vial is good as a turn 1 play over Goblin Lackey:
    Tempo: RUG Delver
    Midrange: Shardless BUG, Jund, Death and Taxes

In our current "meta" Aether Vial is a better turn 1 play as it is the better turn 1 player versus more decks currently than Goblin Lackey

(I stand by Goblin Lackey being better than Aether Vial against Elves, it forces them to use their mana as a blocker and if you have the removal you get some icing for that tasty cake)
    Last edited by Olaf Forkbeard; 09-10-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    Combo being decks that are "Unfair." Try to win on Turn 1 - 4 via a set of effects that mostly does not care about your cards.
    Control being decks that could theoretically play the card Counterspell, or mainboard board wipes such as Pernicious Deed or Stax - drawing the game out to a war of attrition usually with very few creatures.

Aggro being of three breeds.
    One of which is Hyper Aggression, a deck that tries to run at you from turn 1 and kill you consistently on turn 3 or 4 via combat). Decks like Affinity and Infect. These may get treated like a combo deck because of their speed.

Tempo decks are decks that have faster deployment than its foe. This deck may not have more cards than you but theirs are out sooner and usually require incredibly tight play to manage correctly. Decks like this now include Delver of Secrets. I'm sure there are other reasons, but its hard to argue with the flying Wild Nacatl.

And Midrange decks such that usually use relatively large sized creatures to control the board and eventually win. These decks tend to do fairly well in a war of attrition. Cards usually included in these decks are Tarmogoyf, Aether Vial, Dark Confidant.
    On the topic of deck archetypes, unless I fail at life, I did not notice a single midrange deck in the top 8 unless you count Maverick or Deathblade and only a few in the top 20. I wonder how relevant the lack of BGX decks was to the success of Davis...with few Abrupt Decays running around, Vial probably got a lot better.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Quote Originally Posted by Potdindy View Post
    On the topic of deck archetypes, unless I fail at life, I did not notice a single midrange deck in the top 8 unless you count Maverick or Deathblade and only a few in the top 20. I wonder how relevant the lack of BGX decks was to the success of Davis...with few Abrupt Decays running around, Vial probably got a lot better.
    I'd call Maverick Midrange.

Swan Song U

Instant
    Counter target enchantment, instant or sorcery spell. Its controller puts a 2/2 blue Bird creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Would be a nice replacement for spell Pierce in Ru Goblins. Kinda Catch-All (Show and Tell, Sneak Attack, Infernal
    Tutor, Moat, Humility,...)

Quote Originally Posted by Asgar View Post
    Swan Song U
    Instant
    Counter target enchantment, instant or sorcery spell. Its controller puts a 2/2 blue Bird creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Would be a nice replacement for spell Pierce in Ru Goblins. Kinda Catch-All (Show and Tell, Sneak Attack, Infernal
    Tutor, Moat, Humility,...)
    Interesting...tho is it not just a narrower version of Spell Pierce that can hard counter. I was actually thinking about the U splash, and I noticed a difference between it and perhaps G and W. You may disagree, but with blue spells, we have to fetch for a Volcanic Island pretty early in the game if we want to cast counters reliably. This opens our mana base to an early wasteland that can cut us permanently of a color without us ever using the U.

On the other hand, lets say a deck playing white for Thalia only needs the land for her when you go to cast Thalia. By this, You drop Cavern or Plateau and play Thalia...after that, if the land gets wasted, its not such a bad thing. Idk if that makes sense, kinda hard to communicate it, but it just seems that a reactive color splash like U weakens our mana base a lot. If no one has any idea what the heck I'm talking about, well then...idk.

Looking at more of the spoilers, what about Ashen Rider as a replacement for Angel of Despair. Its about the same cost and size, but when it enters the field AND dies, it can exile permanent...seems like a way to survive if a Show n Tell player manages to land a second bomb such as Emrakul. Its annihilator could let us sac Rider, exiling Emmy.
    Last edited by Potdindy; 09-10-2013 at 11:29 PM.

The Archon is strictly better, than Angel, because we dont have a way to cast either of those anyway.
    We wouldn't Board it in against wasteland-Decks usually i think.
    Though, without oblivion Rings in Board Mayr you Need ist to Fight Plaque (and hymn).

Hey, is there a reason why the coverage vids of this last Tourney with Davis haven't been put up on SCG? I know it takes a few days, but I thought they should've been up by now.

Hey, is there a reason why the coverage vids of this last Tourney with Davis haven't been put up on SCG? I know it takes a few days, but I thought they should've been up by now.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/458303326

Phasing
    Jul 2013
    Seville (Spain)

I've been testing this version:

Deck: Goblins

//Lands
    10 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port

//Artifacts
    4 Ęther Vial

//Instants
    2 Tarfire

//Creatures
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Warchief
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Siege-Gang Commander

//Sideboard
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Pyrokinesis
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Boartusk Liege

Display deck statistics

Listing of results:

- Aggro
    vs. RWg Goblins: 2-1
    vs. Affinity: 2-1/0-2/1-2/1-2/0-2
    vs. Maverick: 2-1/2-1/2-1/2-0
    vs. Dark Maverick: 2-0/2-0/1-2
    vs. Bant: 2-1
    vs. UR Burn: 2-0/2-1/2-0
    vs. Burn: 1-2
    vs. Naya Zoo: 1-2
    vs. Aggro Loam: 0-2
    vs. Boros: 2-0
    vs. Merfolks: 2-1/2-0/2-1
    vs. Jund: 2-1/0-2
    vs. RUG Delver: 2-0/2-1/2-1/2-0/2-1/2-0
    vs. Punishing Threshold: 0-2
    vs. Dark Threshold: 2-0
    vs. Nic Fit: 1-2
    vs. Esper Stoneblade: 2-0
    vs. DeathBlade: 2-1
    vs. Faestalker: 2-0/2-1/2-0
    vs. Deadguy Ale: 2-1
    vs. Patriot: 1-2
    vs. Team America: 2-0/2-1/2-0

- Control
    vs. Punishing Lands: 2-1
    vs. MUD: 1-2
    vs. Blade Control: 2-1
    vs. Miracle Control: 0-2
    vs. Tezzeret Control: 2-1
    vs. Pox: 2-1/0-2
    vs. Loam Pox: 2-1
    vs. MBC: 2-1
    vs. Death and Taxes: 2-0/2-0/2-1/2-1
    vs. BUG Control: 2-0

- Combo
    vs. TNT: 2-1/2-1/1-2
    vs. TES: 2-1/1-2/1-2
    vs. DDFT: 2-0
    vs. Spiral Tide: 1-2
    vs. All Spells: 2-0/0-2
    vs. Dark Depths: 0-2
    vs. Omnitell: 0-2/1-2/0-2
    vs. Show and Tell: 1-2
    vs. Sneak and Show: 2-0
    vs. Sneak Attack (MonoR): 2-1
    vs. Reanimator: 0-2/1-2
    vs. Elfball: 2-0
    vs. Elves: 2-1
    vs. Belcher: 1-2/0-2/0-2
    vs. Zombardment: 2-1
    vs. Imperial Painter: 2-0/2-1/2-0/2-1/2-1/2-0
    vs. Nic Scapeshift: 1-2/2-1

Listing of updates:

- First update (09-20-2013)
    vs. RUG Delver: 2-0/2-1

- Second update (09-27-2013)
    vs. Merfolks: 2-0/2-1
    vs. Pox: 2-1

- Third update (10-04-2013)
    vs. MBC: 2-1
    vs. Belcher: 1-2
    vs. Zombardment: 2-1
    vs. Imperial Painter: 2-0/2-1
    vs. Pox: 0-2/2-0
    vs. Death and Taxes: 2-1
    vs. Jund: 0-2

- Fourth update (10-17-2013)
    vs. Dark Maverick: 2-0
    vs. Burn: 1-2
    vs. Pox: 2-0
    vs. Sneak and Show: 2-0

- Fifth update (11-17-2013)
    vs. Threshold UGr: 2-1
    vs. Punishing Threshold: 0-2
    vs. Punishing Lands: 2-1
    vs. Reanimator: 1-2
    vs. Sneak Attack (MonoR): 2-1
    vs. Affinity: 0-2/1-2/1-2/0-2
    vs. Loam Pox: 2-1
    vs. Patriot: 1-2
    vs. Death and Taxes: 2-1
    vs. Burning ANT: 1-2
    vs. Imperial Painters: 2-0

- Sixth update (1-30-2014)
    Few changes in my sideboard.
    vs. Imperial Painter: 2-1/2-1/2-0
    vs. BUG Control: 2-0
    vs. Threshold UGr: 2-0/2-1/2-0
    vs. Bant: 2-1
    vs. GWB Maverick: 2-0
    vs. Nic Scapeshift: 1-2/2-1
    vs. Belcher: 0-2/0-2
    vs. Team America: 2-0

- Seventh update (07-02-2014)
    vs. Maverick 2-1/2-0
    vs. Team America: 2-1/2-0
    vs. UR Burn: 2-0
    vs. OmniTell: 0-2
    vs. Dark Maverick: 1-2

Regards.
    Last edited by cronos; 07-02-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by cronos View Post
    I've been testing for the last month this version. This are my results:

vs. Maverick: 2-1
    vs. Jund: 2-1 (thanks to Boartusk Liege)
    vs. mirror: 2-1 (I played Pyrokinesis first)
    vs. Elves: 2-1
    vs. Faestalker (with Young Pyromancer): 2-0
    vs. Affinity: 2-1 (I think Goblin Tinkerer is better than Tuktuk Scrapper against this deck)
    vs. Merfolks: 2-1 (Goblin Piledriver!)
    vs. Reanimator: 0-2
    vs. All Spells: 2-1 (CotV of X=0)
    vs. TES: 2-1 (CotV of X=0)
    vs. Show and Tell: 1-2
    I wrote those results here one month ago. Now, the new results...

vs. UR Burn: 2-0/2-1
    vs. Naya Zoo: 1-2
    vs. Aggro Loam: 0-2 (Devastating Dreams was too strong)
    vs. Death and Taxes: 2-0/2-0
    vs. DeathBlade: 2-1
    vs. Faestalker: 2-0/2-1
    vs. Nic Fit: 1-2
    vs. Esper Stoneblade: 2-0
    vs. RUG Delver: 2-1/2-1
    vs. Dark Threshold: 2-0
    vs. Blade Control: 2-1
    vs. Miracle Control: 0-2
    vs. Tezzeret Control: 2-1
    vs. TNT: 2-1/2-1 (He had bad luck with his lands)
    vs. All Spells: 2-0
    vs. Dark Depths: 0-2
    vs. DDFT: 2-0
    vs. Omnitell: 0-2/1-2 (Trickbind to triggered ability of Angel of Despair)
    vs. Elfball: 2-0
    vs. Boros: 2-0
    vs. Merfolks: 2-1
    vs. Spiral Tide: 1-2
    vs. Deadguy Ale: 2-1

Regards.
    You did a good job! Thank you for sharing.
    Could you add your decklist + SB to the posting above? And: are you willing to update this list when you get more results? I'm particularily interested in your decklists performance vs. the DtBs.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Phasing
    Jul 2013
    Seville (Spain)

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    are you willing to update this list when you get more results?
    It's no trouble at all!
    I've just edited my post to include my decklist + SB, and I'll play more times against tier decks so as to get more information. Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by cronos View Post
    It's no trouble at all!
    I've just edited my post to include my decklist + SB, and I'll play more times against tier decks so as to get more information. Regards.
    How often do you find the lack of a main deck shatter goblin relevant. Davis's recent list had 2 just like yours, but his your's are sideboarded. Did you regularly miss it game 1, or was it not necessary.

Phasing
    Jul 2013
    Seville (Spain)

How often do you find the lack of a main deck shatter goblin relevant. Davis's recent list had 2 just like yours, but his your's are sideboarded. Did you regularly miss it game 1, or was it not necessary.
    Almost never. Against most of tier decks as Threshold UGr, Jund, Team America, Miracle, etc. I don't need a shatter goblin. Only when someone plays with decks like Stoneblade or Maverick, I miss him.
    However, the deck has many ways to make good the loss of shatter goblin. We can deal 2 damage to Stoneforge Mystic with Tarfire (if our opponent searched for Batterskull), to block an attacking creature equipped with Umezawa's Jitte / Batterskull and, after declare blockers step, sacrifice blocking creature with Skirk Prospector, etc.

Regards.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

U-Splash
    I recommend playing 3C when considering a blue splash. Also you only fetch an early Volcanic against combo which doesnt run Wasteland. Against control, you just fetch, when you need it and surprise the opp.

Swans looks pretty interesting, though. But im not sure I want to give combo an early blocker. Also doenst counter walkers or artifacts (Top, Jitte)
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Apr 2010
    Germany

Hey fellow Warchiefs,

here's a short report on my results from today's tourney as well as some thoughts on Mirror Entity.

List

//MANA (22)
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Cavern of Souls
    5 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    5 Fetchlands

//CORE (20)
    4 Vial
    4 Lackey
    4 Warchief
    4 Matron
    4 Ringleader

//OTHERS (18)
    4 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Piledriver
    3 Thalia
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Chieftain
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Mirror Entity

//SIDEBOARD (15)
    4 Chalice
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Pyrokinesis
    2 Wear//Tear
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

R1: Canadian Threshold, classic (1-2)
    R2: BRWG-Best-Of (0-2)
    R3: Homebrew Control (2-0)
    R4: 12-Posts (2-1)
    R5: bUrg Threshold (1-2)

Thoughts:
    Mirror Entity was, well, useful at its best, but by no means overwhelming. I found it too bad against Threshold since a single Stifle could shut down it's ability and make me use 3 mana for nothing (which is not something you want to be doing against this kind of deck). I can't judge wether it has more value than a simple Chieftain against any other given deck, however I was hesitant to drop Mentity whenever I drew it due to mana issues. I guess the card is best when it catches your opponent by surprise (like when he is tapped out and you flash it into play at EOT via Aether Vial - however, this doesn't happen all too often unless you are playing vs. some Hobbits in a magic paralell universe. My conclusion is threrefore quite straightforward: bad card.

Playing without SGC and Krenko wasn't an issue at all. MVPs were Ringleader and Piledriver (and, of course, MWM). I will keep playing with 0 copies of either fatty when I play a MWM-version next time.

Thalia in the MD was not nearly as good as I hoped she would be. Basically the whole point of running her in the MD was to improve my storm-combo MU as well as gaining some %s vs. Thresholds. However, I found myself boarding Thalia OUT against both threshold decks since I found Rest in Peace + Pyrokinesis to be more valuable. If I were to run a similar list again I would definitely cut all Thalias from the MD (not knowing if I'd play her at all) for +1 Piledriver, +1 Skirk Prospector and +1 Tuktuk Scraper or Goblin Chieftain.

Wear//Tear is a really good inclusion for the deck given it's flexibility and low manacosts. I'm almost sure that 2 is the correct number, however cutting Tuktuk Scrapper in favor of W//T is an valid option too.

Playing with only 2 Caverns wasn't a problem at all...the opposite is true, as I found it comfortable to drop one basicland after another against Threshold. I'm not yet sold if it is BETTER to run less than 4 Cavern of Souls, however I can tell for sure that I would do so again without any regret. 4 Lackey, 4 Vials and 2 Caverns are enough to get your dudes past countermagic.

I hoped my short summary was helpful. Questions are, as always, appreciated.

-GL

//EDIT:
    Steamflogger participated in the very same tourney as I did with a WInistigator approach. He did better than me with a solid 3-2. I really liked his decklist (although I didn't get to see his SB), and I hope he will write a word or two about his impressions on the deck. The guy is sticking to his WInstigator list since last year when I first met him. Seems like he's found "his" list.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

GoboLord, thanks for your list and the writeup.

If possible, would you be in the mood to write up a more detailed account of your first two matches? (what you faced after that doesn't matter as much since your tournament was largely over once you started 0-2).

Thread Information