Page 329 of 509 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329330331332333339379429 ... LastLast
Results 6,561 to 6,580 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    How about I respond it by making top8 of Brazilian Natz with monored Goblins?
    In the swiss I beat Elves, Sneak Show, Lands, UW Miracles, UR Delver and Merfolk, losing to UWr TrueBlade, IDing with Canadian.
    Top8 will be in 2 hours. I'm fighting Sneak Show, and there are 2x Canadian, AnT, UR Delver, UW TruBlad and TES.
    Wish me luck.
    Fuck yeah, dude! Way to go!

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Re: Drew Levin's opinion-- he's also said that stifle is a terrible card for RUG, and is regularly made fun of for it on the CanThresh thread--for good reason. Stifle gave me free wins and utility that other cards simply couldn't. So, in short, he's definitely not the first person I'd look to for legacy advice/analysis.

@scatmanx: get there dude!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Siege-Gang Commander
    Feb 2008
    The Netherlands

Ok, you can't be serious when you say that goblins doesn't need any upgrades.. most goblins we have are from an era where Nimble Mongoose was the strongest one drop we faced.

Take a moment to consider this upgrade to Goblin Matron:

Goblin Matriarch 1R
    Creature - Goblin (rare)
    When Goblin Matriarch enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Goblin Creature card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
    1R, Tap: You may put a Goblin Creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.
    1/2

Too strong? No! Powerful sure.. but not anymore than Stoneforge Mistake.

//edit:

Or maybe even something like this:

Goblin Matriarch 2R (or maybe even RR)
    Creature - Goblin (rare)
    When Goblin Matriarch enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Goblin Creature card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
    Other Goblin creatures you control get +1/+1.
    2/2

Or maybe we just need a 10/10 goblin with haste for R?

SMH.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Or maybe we just need a 10/10 goblin with haste for R?

SMH.
    Unless it deals damage in Poison counters it's just not good enough to see play.

On the topic. I think goblins could use a boost. I would love to see a return to a full tribal set. Future sight had "Llanowar Reborn" as a card so I am holding out hope it happens.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Avatara View Post
    Ok, you can't be serious when you say that goblins doesn't need any upgrades.. most goblins we have are from an era where Nimble Mongoose was the strongest one drop we faced.

Take a moment to consider this upgrade to Goblin Matron:

Goblin Matriarch 1R
    Creature - Goblin (rare)
    1R, Tap: You may put a Goblin Creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.
    1/2

Too strong? No! Powerful sure.. but not anymore than Stoneforge Mistake.

//edit:

Or maybe even something like this:

Goblin Matriarch 2R (or maybe even RR)
    Creature - Goblin (rare)
    Other Goblin creatures you control get +1/+1.
    2/2
    Just don't forget to ask Santa for it this Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post

Still, it is true that the format is getting faster and that we have to keep up. I think running Chrome Moxen in MD (probably alongside with Warren Instigator) is a very plausible future direction for the deck.
    Which is what I have done and even taken further, as I was finding my deck too slow and losing even with Chrome Moxen and Warren Instigators.

So I also dropped Aether Vial ( we still have cavern of souls ) and main decked 3 pyrokenesis, alongside 4 tarfire, 3 gempalm and 2 stingscourgers for removal to clear the way for lackeys and warren instigators. I also added a singleton skirk prospector which was fantastic.

The extra SB space was the used for 4 REB/Pyroblast. These were great against brainstorms, jace, delvers, stifle....and of course counters.

The result was i went from 0-4 one week to 4-0 the next in my small local tourney!

It was down to speed, removal, lackeys, then getting to the mid game for maton/ringleaders, and also disruption coming out of my SB

Dec 2011
    Richmond, VA

ScatmanX - Congrats on he Top 8 finish! It's always good to see Goblins put up results, especially when it is a Source regular.

I'm here to share a somewhat less successful result with you guys. This weekend I attended GPDC with zero byes. I lost my win-and-in for Day 2 to finish 6-3. Here's the list I played:

4 Goblin Lackey
    3 Goblin Piledriver
    2 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Stingscourger
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Warchief
    3 Goblin Chieftan
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    2 Krenko, Mobb Boss
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

3 Gempalm Incinerator
    2 Tarfire

4 Aether Vial

12 Mountains
    4 Cavern of souls
    4 Wasteland
    2 Rishadan Port

Sideboard:

4 Ashen Rider
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Legion Loyalist
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

I made some changes to the list heading into the tournament. After much testing, I decided that I needed artifact destruction in the main because of D&T and the Blade decks with TNN. I dropped a Skirk Prospector from my list in favor a Tuktuk Scrapper. I also felt that combo would be prevalent in DC, so I dropped the MWM in favor of the third Piledriver. To go along with that change, I cut the 4th Gempalm Incinerator for a 2nd tarfire. I never really missed the prospector, but I have always liked him in the past. I didn't face a blade deck all day, so the maindeck scrapper was sided out in almost every round.

I had Mindbreak Traps in the board until Friday night. I replaced them with 2 Chalices, then cut a chalice for the 4th Ashen Rider. Since the 2nd Tuktuk moved to the main deck, I had another open spot. I went with Legion Loyalist on the advice of some very knowledgeable legacy players at my local shop. Giving Piledriver trample and First strike is a big game. I had D&T in mind when i put this in my board, but I didn't face it at the GP.

Pyrokinesis was an all-star. I boarded it in a lot and it was great every time i drew it. When I didn't draw it, I wanted to. The GY hate was all good, and I liked the configuration. The chalice single-handedly won me a match, and came in in several others. I would consider going back to 2. Ashen Riders never came in becase somehow I never faced Sneak and Show. Sharpshooter was awesome. It wiped 12 Empty the Warrens tokens and gave me a fighting chance against TES. The needle never came in, but it fights a wide range of decks. Tuktuk also never came in because I never saw a Stoneforge Mystic. I boarded in Legion loyalist a few times just because i needed more dudes. It never really had a chance to shine.

I don't remember the intricacies of every game, but I'll give you a round up of my matches:

Round 1: Affinity (loss 1-2):

This was not the way I wanted to start my tournament. In game 1, He crushed me with a turn 2 cranial plating. I gempalmed his attacker, but he was able to move the plating before damage and hit me for lethal before I could crack back. Game two was a blowout the other way. A turn-1 Lackey connected, dropped in a Warchief, and then I played piledriver + MWM and he never really had a chance. Game 3 was back and forth. Eventually he landed 3 etched champions and I just couldn't break through. He eventually got Steel Overseer active and Hit beat me to death with unblockable robots. 0-1.

Round 2: Miracles (win 2-0):

This was not close. He wasn't playing the energy field/RIP/Helm/Enlightened tutor version. Instead, he was on the traditional plan, and both games were heavily in my favor. Krenko finished him off in Game 2. 1-1.

Round 3: TES (loss 1-2):

This is obviously a bad matchup for mono-red. This was an awesome match. In game 1 I played a turn 1 lackey. He pondered and passed off of an Underground Sea. I don't know why, but I put him on grixis delver instead of storm. I connected with a lackey and dropped something (maybe a matron?). I played a Piledriver after combat. On his turn, he went off and emptied the warrens for 16 tokens. I played a mogg war marshal and attacked with lackey. He chumped with a token. on his turn, he attacked with everything. I tarfired one and blocked as many as i could. I'm not sure exactly how we traded over the next two turns, but eventually i attacked him down to one with a swarm that included a matron. I dropped the matron into play and got the second tarfire, and shocked him for the game win. So close. In game 2 he stumbled and I was able to waste and port him a little bit. I kept a vial, lackey hand, but couldn't find much gas. He got me with tendrils on turn 5 or 6 when he was at 5 life. This was one of those games that you HAVE to win against storm. He was slow to go off and gave me an opening to kill him. I just couldn't find any guys to apply pressure. I had sided in GY hate in game 2 (which i drew instead of guys). I am familiar with ANT but I wasn't sure if TES relied on Past in flames, so I sided the yard hate out in g3. Game 3 was epic. I mulliganed to 4. He knows I'm on 4 so settles for 12 goblin tokens on turn 3 or 4. At this point, I don't think i had anything but a lackey and a vial on the board. The next turn, he attacked with 11 guys, putting me to 10 after I tarfired or gempalmed one. On my turn, I gempalmed his blocker, hit him with lackey, and dropped matron, getting my SHARPSHOOTER, and vialed it in. He cracked back. I traded with my matron and went to 1. I untapped and wiped his board with Sharpshooter. He didn't realize it worked like that. It does. I proceed to hit him with lackey and some MWM token for a few turns but again can't find any gas. 4 turns later, he goes off again and kills me. This was a really fun match, but I felt like I wasted an opportunity to steal a match from Storm.

At this point, I am somewhat resigned to my fate. I realize that winning 6 in a row is not very realistic, but I decide to do my best to make the best of it. 1-2.

Round 4: Burn! (Win 2-0)

This guy had a fire and lightning event box and Chandra sleeves. I told him that he should have worn a red shirt too. He was a fairly inexperienced player and could have taken game 1 if he made different decisions. He bolted a chieftan after i attacked with my hasted team and later bolted a lackey instead of a piledriver when i had one card in hand and a ton of guys already on the board. If it were FNM, I would have explained to him that he should have done things differently, but this was a GP and I was playing for my tournament life. I stole game 1, and then blew him out in game 2. He had a price of progress draw and i played all mountains. 2-2.

Round 5: RUG Delver (Win 2-0)

This round I played against a nice guy from Roanoke that works for SCG. I think his name was Allen, but I'm not sure. Game 1 he forced a turn 1 vial and was behind the whole game. I got ahead and was able to grind him out fairly convincingly. I boarded in 1 chalice, 1 relic, and 1 pyrokinesis. I think this is the right configuration. All of those cards are good against them, but so is most of the main deck, so it's hard to bring in much more. I killed a 4-toughness goyf by pitching tarfire to pyrokinesis. I was ahead but he had rough/tumble to wipe my board. I cast a ringleader and hit land-land-relic-vial. ouch. I eventually drew a matron and got another ringleader, which yielded better results. Again, I got ahead of him and just finished him off. This was my most enjoyable match of the day. I got a little sloppy in one fo the games when i connected with a lackey. He said "okay." I picked up my deck and started searching it. He said "what?" I said oops and put the matron from my hand into play that i forgot when the lackey connected. I was a step ahead in my mind and forgot to physically put the matron into play. He understood and let me go with it, but I'm pretty sure that if he wanted to be a dick he could have called a judge on me. 3-2.

Round 6: Shallow Grave Reanimator (Win 2-1)

This was an interesting match. My opponent had a hearing disability and was wearing a hearing aid, so there were a lot of hand motions. He was pleasant and seemed to be a strong player. In game 1 I had a quick lackey start and was able to slow him down with port + wasteland. He was pondering and brainstorming and lim-dul's vaulting. I had no idea what he was on, but I knew it was some sort of combo. he goes off and reanimates Emrakul, attackes, and wipes my board, putting me to 5. He is also at 5 and I'm left with Mountain, Matron. I peel stingscourger, attack for 4, and put him to 1. He has no answers and we go to game 2. Game 2 was a route. Grisledaddy and Emrakul teamed up to crush my face in short order. In game 3, I mulled to 6 and had turn 1 lackey, tun 2 chalice on 1. He had the kill, but Chalice stopped him for long enough for me to kill him. 4-2.

Round 7: Dragon Stompy (Win 2-0)

His game 1 turn 1 was tomb-> chrome mox pitching jaya ballard -> blood moon. He looked pleased. My turn 1 was mountain -> lackey. He was less pleased. Both games were heavily in my favor. 5-2.

Round 8: Dredge (win 2-1)

I lose game 1. It's dredge, so this isn't really very surprising. In game 2 I drop a turn 1 Cage. He can't find an answer and dies. Game 3 was crazy. I look at my 7 and see a good hand with a lackey, but no hate cards. I think for a while and ship it. My plan was "mulligan to hate," can't chicken out now. I had 4 GY hate cards and 4 creatures with echo. I wanted to find one of those cards. I also boarded in Pyrokinesis to shoot my own guys in a pinch. My 6 is 6 red creatures. Let's go to 5. My 5 is vial, land, land, ringleader, land. Nope. Let's go to 4. Mountain, Mountain, pyrokinesis, MWM. Sure. I'm on the play. Mountain pass. He plays putrid imp and passes. I draw....CRYPT! I play cyrpt and MWM. He loots, finds no dredgers, and puts a bridge in his yard. MWM dies to the echo trigger and I tell him to exile his bridge. He didn't recognize that MWM would get his bridge, and curses himself while exiling it. I draw tarfire and attack for 1. On his turn he casts careful study. There are 5 cards (maybe 6) in his yard. he plays nature's claim on my crypt, i respond with a tarfire on his imp so that if he pitches anything else to it, i can get whatever it is with the crypt. He lets it die and i get his GY. I attack him for 2 a turn for a few turns and eventually play some more pressure, and he concedes. Whew. 6-2. Playing for Day 2.

Round 9: Elves (Loss 0-2)

In game 1 i have a tarfire and wait patiently for a symbiote to kill. My draw is double vial, not a lot of guys. At some point i try to waste his Dryad Arbor to keep him off a potential combo the next turn. He saves it with Quiron Ranger (D'oh). I draw Krenko the next turn and can't cast it because i stone rained myself the turn before. I eventually have Krenko, Chieftan. I die to Natural Order -> HOOF one turn before I would have killed him with tokens. My wasteland cost me the game. I have a TON of hate for elves. Chalice, Cage, Sharpshooter, double pyrokinesis, and all my main deck removal. I mull to 6 and keep a decent hand with no hate cards. He has a trong draw and goes off on turn 3 or 4 despite me killing one of his guys with tarfire. I probably should have mulliganed farther. It was a disappointing loss because I love playing Legacy and felt really good about. I finished 6-3.

The event was a blast and the deck felt good. I played 9 different archetypes, none of which were sneak and show or blade decks. I think I want a second chalice in the board, but I'm not sure what I would drop. I'll leave tuktuk in the main for now--Blade decks were everywhere at the event, I just didn't play them.

Next time I'll get to Day 2. Some byes would obviously help.

Still, it is true that the format is getting faster and that we have to keep up. I think running Chrome Moxen in MD (probably alongside with Warren Instigator) is a very plausible future direction for the deck.
    I agree with this, but being a new legacy player I don't know how valid an opinion this is haha. I feel Warren instigator and chrome mox really help our combo matchup by being faster. Black also really helps the matchup with Cabal therapies and earwig squads to tear their deck apart. Also, being new to goblins, why is the vial so important? It just seems slow and durdely alot of the time...

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Surfkatt View Post
    I agree with this, but being a new legacy player I don't know how valid an opinion this is haha. I feel Warren instigator and chrome mox really help our combo matchup by being faster. Black also really helps the matchup with Cabal therapies and earwig squads to tear their deck apart. Also, being new to goblins, why is the vial so important? It just seems slow and durdely alot of the time...
    Vial is a "mana engine;" that is to say that each counter you add to it gives you more free virtual mana for your creatures. This allows your lands to be used for denial/utility, since you aren't relying on them to cast spells--or it can allow you to double up on land drops.

It also gives your dudes uncounterability and flash, which is why it is the second most countered/removed thing we play (behind lackey). TBH, there have been matches where I started off with vial and port+mountain and knew I was going to win (and did).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

So there is a new commander card that has me interested. Sudden Demise . I don't know if it is a better option than Pyrokinesis out of the SB, but it is something to at least consider as a 2-1, 1-1 split. It is certainly better in many instances then Pyro. I am just curious if anyone has tested this card, or seen it actually be played.

Nov 2012
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

LOL, best possible answer. My results were far worse (1-4 drop, after an 0-3 start), and I believe this was due to a complete miss on my meta evaluation (I was fearing combo too much, and used artifact hate only on my SB).

I won't post a report cause I believe it's not worth it, but my matches were D&T (loss after mull to 5), affinity (), tin fins (two turn 1 kills) and dragon stompy (my only win. took me about 5 min total to end both games).

On a side event I managed to make 4-2-1, losing to bant and combo elves. Won matches against omnitell, tezzerator, D&T and jund.

All in all, it was a blast to bring goblins to such a big tournament, and it was even better to see you making top 8 of it again.

It was a pleasure to meet you there, and I hope you keep innovating and making good results. As for me, well... I started building a UWR true-blade list, but I'm not planning to give up on my fellow green dudes.

Ps.: ScatmanX, where's your full report and deck list? I'm pretty sure ppl will find your list crazy, just like I did (lol).

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by woodjt5 View Post
    ScatmanX - Congrats on he Top 8 finish! It's always good to see Goblins put up results, especially when it is a Source regular.
    Thanks =]
    The needle never came in
    He crushed me with a turn 2 cranial plating.
    He eventually got Steel Overseer active
    Grisledaddy and Emrakul teamed up to crush my face in short order
    for a symbiote to kill
    He saves it with Quiron Ranger
    Just pointing out some targets and games where Needle should be brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenShorty View Post
    Ps.: ScatmanX, where's your full report and deck list? I'm pretty sure ppl will find your list crazy, just like I did (lol).
    Will be posted tomorrow. Thanks. It was awesome meeting you too.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Dec 2011
    Richmond, VA

Touche.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by mrblueduck View Post
    So there is a new commander card that has me interested. Sudden Demise . I don't know if it is a better option than Pyrokinesis out of the SB, but it is something to at least consider as a 2-1, 1-1 split. It is certainly better in many instances then Pyro. I am just curious if anyone has tested this card, or seen it actually be played.
    Already received mine off eBay. Looking forward to trying it out.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by mrblueduck View Post
    Already received mine off eBay. Looking forward to trying it out.

Creature - Elf Wizard
    Aug 2011
    Campinas, SP, Brazil

In the swiss I beat Elves, Sneak Show, Lands, UW Miracles, UR Delver and Merfolk, losing to UWr TrueBlade, IDing with Canadian.
    Top8 will be in 2 hours. I'm fighting Sneak Show, and there are 2x Canadian, AnT, UR Delver, UW TruBlad and TES.
    Wish me luck.

Congratulations, Marcelo! The Top-8 was a great achievement! What Duals did you get as prizes?

I played at the BR Nationals too, but with a different tribe: Elves.
    Did 5-3. Nothing exciting, but I was proud I beat a Miracles deck by 2x0, surviving a couple of Terminuses, a Moat and a Humility. Tough one... But it was a shame that I lost to all the tempo decks I faced...

Would you be willing to make a report of your matches? (Or at least of the most remarking moments?)

^
    EDIT: Nevermind the above request. Just read your reply saying that you'll post it.

(P.S.: Now, after reading the two last pages of this thread, I can understand the "message" you gave on your Top-8 Profile Interview, as answer to this request: "Para finalizar deixe um recado para os leitores..." {"To end it, leave a message to the readers..."} )

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

As you already know, I decided to play Goblins in Brazilian Natz this year again. The tournament is not that big of a thing, compared to ones that usually happen in Europe/Estates (I mean, it’s even smaller than a normal SCGO), but it’s the largest Legacy event we have to play around here.
    The list is the one I’ve been playing with for the last couple of months, but changed a little after some of Cristhians insights, and after TNN was released. Here it is:

4 Wasteland
    3 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    9 Mountain
    2 Chrome Mox

4 Aether Vial
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    2 Goblin Warchief
    3 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Mogg Warmarchall
    1 Goblin Piledriver

2 Krenko, Mob Boss

3 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Tarfire
    1 Stingscourger

1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    Sideboard:
    3 Confusion in the Ranks

2 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Chalice of the Void

1 Boartusk Liege
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Lightning Crafter
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Phyrexian Revoker

So, on to the rounds:
    Match 1: Elves
    Game 1 – I lead with Lackey, he with Needle Sentinel of Bayou. I Port him. He never draws a 2nd land. Waste + Kenkro T4 speed my clock and I win.
    In: 3xCotv, 1xShooter, 1xCrafter, 2x Needle, 1x Revoker. Out: 4xVial, 1xRingleader, 1x MWM, 1x Tuktuk.
    Game 2 – He plays Shaman, I Tarfire it. He plays na elf, Cradle, and passes. I Waste Cradle. He plays Wirewood Simbiote, I play CotV@1 and Port the shit out of his basic. That wins the game after some dudes.
    -Got quite luckythere, but the elves manabase does got a lot worse trough time. No shame on taking advantage of it.
    1-0

Match 2 – Sneak and Show
    Game 1: He cantrips and Daze my Vial. The he replays Island, Island, Mountain, Fetch -> Sneak, Simian Grisel, and I die, not being able to do anything the 4 turns he gave me. (funny thing is that I was hitting him with a Chieftain. If he went SnT > Grisel, I’d won, of Krenko activating twice + Gempalm. <3 Krenko)
    In: 3x Confusion, 3x CotV, 2x Needle, 1x Revoker, 1x Boartusk. Out: 3x Tarfire, 3x Gempalm, -1 Ringleader, -1 Vial, -1 Tuktuk, -1 MWM
    Game 2 – I keep a Confusion and Vial hand, with Revoker, and Port and Waste him. Drew all 3 Vials, always keeping one @2. Pyroclasm clears my board once, but Krenko lives. 2 Turns later he plays a Petal. Ok. He plays a 2nd one. I vial in Revoker for Petal. He had a 3rd one, but no other R mana. I port his mountain and kill him 2 turns later.
    Game 3 – Keep Lackey, Confusion, Vial, Kikijiki, lands. Lackey gets there and I have a Chieftain out there 2 turns later. He wipes my board. I rebuild a little, Porting 2 lands a turn, having Wasted one. He has to go for SnT, Confusion gives me a 7/7 Demon to win the game.
    2-0

Match 3 – Uwr TrueBlade (List that I created played by a teammate)
    Game 1: His T2 Brainstorm fails to find his 3rd land. He plays 3 Stoneforges, I kill 2 of them, and he dies a horible death with only 2 lands into play after Sting bounces de Batter token.
    In: 1x Tuktuk, 2x Needle. Out: -1 Warchief, -2 MWM
    Game 2: My Vial is Pearced, Lackey doesn’t connect trough T2 stone, into Batter, into Sword UR + Equip T4. I don’t get a land for Tuktuk and die.
    In: 1x Revoker. Out: Don’t know…
    Game 3: Lackey is StP’d, T3 Matron (Mountain, 2xWaste) gets Ringleader on hand with Tuktuk, Warchief, Tarfire, something. He plays T3 Nemesis,and T4 Jitte equipping. I never draw a 4th land and die.
    2-1

Match 3 – Lands
    Game 1: He mulls and have a tapland. I have lackey. He has Maze, I have Waste + Krenko + Prospector. Easy from there.
    In: 2x Needle, 1x Revoker, 1x Shooter, 1x Crafter, 1x Tuktuk. Out: -2 Gempalm, -3 Tarfire, -1 Sting.
    Game 2: He has a T1 dark confidant and gets Punishing/Grove going by T2. Never got a chance to Revoker his Mox Diamond (only other R Source), and lose to it.
    Game 3: I keep a Vial hand, going MWM into Matron for Ringleader, that reveals 2 more. Meanwhile I Waste him twice, and get 2 Port. He Waste/Locks me, but went low for the beating, and I have 2 basics out. When I draw my Caverns I don’t play it (no 3 drops), hit, and Tarfire him. Next Ringleader (3rd) reveals Chieftain (after I draw a 2nd Tarfire), which dies to P.Fire, But I get him to 3, having Ringleader, Tuktuk, Crafter, Kiki-Jiki, Matorn and Tarfire in hand. He Tolaria’s West for Glacial Chasm (Zuran Orb was in the graveyard becaue of dredging Loam), casts and pass. I up my Vial to 5 and pray. Upkeep he sacrifices Chasm. I Vial in Kiki, Copy Matron, search for Tarfire, and cast both of them. Feels awesome killing people with Tarfire! (Yeah, you DO search for it sometimes!)
    3-1

Match 5 – UW Miracles
    Game 1: He starts. Vial resolves. He does nothing. I up Vial. He does nothing. I tap vial with Gempalm, Kiki, Chieftain, Warchief and lands. He Cliques me in response. (hehehehe) taking Gempalm,and assembling CB lock next turn. Afterall he doesn’t find StP OR Terminus, and my dudes kill him (drew MWM and Piledriver after Clique, and it was enough).
    SB In: 2x Needle, 1x Revoker, 1x Shooter, 1x Crafter. SB out: -3 Tarfire, -1 Sting, -1 Gempalm.
    Game 2: I mull to 5, keeping Matron into Ringleader. He T4 plays Humility. I actually end up doing a lot of dmg, but not enough.
    SB in: 3x Tarfire. SB Out: 2x MWM, 1 Tuktuk.
    Game 3: I get him to 9, and he casts Humility. 3 Goblins hit him, and I cast another. He takes 3, blocking 1 with Venser, going to 3. I play around Terminus, take him down to 1, with 2 dudes in hand. He doesen’t find an out (1 mana short to Top + Tutor + Brainstorm + Moat), and I get him.
    4-1

Match 6 – UR Delver
    Game 1: He goes to 6 and I to 5. 2nd turn Guide start hitting, but he uses 2 burs on 2 Chieftains. I have a Vial going up, and draw Matron when Vial reaches 4. Draw 4 goblins and win from there.
    In: 3x CotV, 1x Boartusk, 1x Crafter. Out: -1 Kiki, -1 Tuktuk, -1 Prospector, -1 Chieftain, -1 Piledriver.
    Game 2: I keep a Vial hand, and it gets Smithed into Smitherins. He then plays a Grim Lavamancer, which I’m aunable to kill with Gempalm, having 2x Chieftain + Warchief. He the Brainstorms, get 2 Delvers, flip’em, and I die.
    Game 3: T1 nothing, T2 MWM, T3 pay Echo, T4 Tarfire a Delver and Gempalm the other, T5 Ringleader while he had an empty table. Curved quite well here.
    5-1

Match 7 – CounterFolk
    Game 1: Keep 2xVial, Mountain, Caverns, Waste, Ringleader, Gempalm. T1 Vial is Dazed after a Cursecatche. T2 Vial is FoW’d. He Wastes my Waste. I play Waste, he waste my waste. I play Caverns, he Wastes it. I get a Lackey, he get Counterbalance. I play something, he plays Top. The game progresses in a way that I go down to 12, while he has a Lord, TNN, and I have only 3 lands, Lackey, Prospector, Ringleader, while he is tapped out. I make a mistake and play MWM, having Tarfire/Piledriver/MWM/Lackey/Ringleader and others in hand. He has a 2cc on top. I should have Tarfired first. If he flipped Top I’d have a lot of mana with MWMs… Well. I then Tarfire his Lord, and he lets it resolve! Mistake for 1 matched mistake from the other. When I attack, he realizes he hat CB and Top, and tilt. I get Piledriver out. For the next 3 Turns I don’t draw lands, but play Ringleaders with Prospector mana. When I find a Gempalm my army is able to kill him, in 2 turns, because of Piledriver.
    In: 1x Shooter, 1x Crafter. Out: 1x MWM, 1x Sting
    Game 2: My Vial is Fow’d, Lackey trade with Silvergill, Piledriver is Dismembered. With 4 mana I cast Matron, and 5 casts Ringleader for a bunch of cards and no resistence. That sealed it.
    6-1

Match 8 – Canadian
    ID
    6-1-1

TOP8:
    Game 1: I mull, keeping Lackey, Vial, Chieftain, Krenko, 2x Mountain. He Preordains, and FoW my Lackey. He plays land and passes. I have Lackey + Vial next turn (Draw Gempalm). He Brainstorms, play land, Petal, SnT > Sneak. I drop Krenko. Next turn I draw Prospector, hit with Lackey, drop Chieftain. He gets Griesel into play, pay 14, drop Emrakul, and swing. I activate Krenko, Gempalm his Griesel, sac 6 permanents, take 15, and kill him on the sing back.
    1-0
    SB: same as other SnT
    Game 2: He leads with Volcanic, I with Waste + Vial (Confusion in the Ranks hand), that is Dazed. He plays Mountain and Petal. I play MWM. He replays Volc. I don’t pay Echo and have CotV @1. He has Sneak next turn, droping Emrakul, and Progenitus next turn.
    1-1
    Game 3: He mulls. I have Needle for Sneak Attack. He draws and passes. I drop Caverns, Mox, play Chieftain, having Krenko and Ringleader as y last 2 cards. He plays land. I draw Ringleader (#1 miss), hit and pass. He plays City of Traitors. I draw Vial (#2 miss), hit, play it, and pass. He cast another City, and Trough the Breaches an Emrakul (that would not have mattered if I had drawn a land). I draw only another land, while he draws 2 others to play cantrips, Sneak, and another Emrakul.
    1-2
    Game 4: I have Needle for Sneak again. He plays Volc, Petal and Top. I play land and Needle on Top. He plays land and passes. I have a MWM. He cantrips, and cantrips again. I find my 3rd land, with Matron in hand, buthe has only 2, one being a City, and I’m Porting it, and decide to continue doing so. I get rewarded with 2 more lands, and Matron for Chieftain, casting it next turn, dropping him to 5. He breaks City to play another land to Pyroclasm my army. I have another land and Krenko follow up, still Porting him. He passes. I play Ringleader and swing. He has a Echoing Truth for Krenko, going to 2 due to a Fetchland. Next turn he doesn’t find an answer, and scoop.
    2-2
    Game 5: I keep land, Mox, Needle, MWM, Ringleader, CotV, Chieftain. He plays land. I play Land + Mox + Needle@ Sneak and CotV@0. He plays land. I play MWM (#3 miss land). He plays Sneak Attack. I draw and hit for 1 (#4 miss), and pass. He pass. I draw (#5 miss), hit and pass. He passes, discarding Petal. He ends up discarding 2x Sneak, 2x Petal, while I discard Matron (#5 miss) Ringleader (#6 miss) and Krenko (#7 miss), then drop a CotV @1. Too bad it was 1 turn before he found a Top. 2 Turns later he finds a Trough the Breach AND an Emrakul, to wipe my table, going to2 doing so. TWO!! The only permanent I keep is Needle@ Sneak. I draw a land 2 turns later, but he finds Echoing Truth for Needle, and hat a Griesel to finish me off.
    2-3

Got really bummed after this one. If anyone of those 7 misses were a land, or more relevant cards to cast (more MWM/Lackeys/Vial/Prospector/Needles game 5, any 3cc or less creature OR card game 3) I’d have won the best of 5. Too bad my luck don’t seem to continue in top8 of Natz…

The metagame breakdown showed me I was accurate in the SB, and got glad for it. The 2 most played decks were Shardless and Canadian, where I keep the plan of playing with 34 goblins and win via C.A. . The 3-5 decks were Sneak, DnT and Elves, so Needle was a really good choice, as was CotV, as both combo and Elves hate. The only last minute changes were -1 Liege, -1 Confusion, +1 Tuktuk, +1Revoker, and they paid out. TrueBlade is a favorable MU, but a TNN with Batter/Jitte/UR sword can win the game very fast, so 2nd Tuktuk was nice to have, so were Needles.

I got a pleyset of Scrublands for my troubles, joined a Cube Draft after, went 4-0 and won a Jace, The Mindsculptor. Good day for me! After that went with SuperBizarros to eat and celebrate. It was also nice to meet some of the fellow Sourcers out there. Really liked it.

Thanks for reading, for the cheers and for the support!

Apr 2010
    Germany

Hey there,

nice finish and thank you for the report.

I just remembered something. Look at your report from last year (Brazil Natz 2012)

So, after the 6-1-1 yesterday, lost on the top8 =/.
    [...]
    Match 8 – Canadian
    ID with a friend.
    6-1-1
    [...]
    Top8: Sneak Show.
    [...]
    And that’s that. Got 4 Scrublands for it.

Now look at your report from this weekend (Brazil Natz 2013)

Match 8 – Canadian
    ID
    6-1-1

TOP8: SneakShow
    [...]

I got a pleyset of Scrublands for my troubles,

Some people really have difficulties with breaking their habits :-D

Oh, and on-topic:
    Don't you think Perish would be a good idea, given your accuarate meta-analysis (looking at the top decks: Elves, BUG Cascade, Canadian) instead of Pithing Needle and Revoker? I don't know, but I just can't get warmed up with Needle and Revoker. Obviously they served you really good, so I'm not expecting you to drop them :-). But maybe you can (once more) try to explain what makes them valuable for you?
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Oh, and on-topic:
    Don't you think Perish would be a good idea, given your accuarate meta-analysis (looking at the top decks: Elves, BUG Cascade, Canadian) instead of Pithing Needle and Revoker? I don't know, but I just can't get warmed up with Needle and Revoker. Obviously they served you really good, so I'm not expecting you to drop them :-). But maybe you can (once more) try to explain what makes them valuable for you?
    Don't get me wrong. I do like Perish. Against both Elves and Canadian I think it's awesome (not so much against BUG, since the only dude we really care about is Goyf. Everything else is 2/2, 1/1, 1/2...), but I don't like the strain it puts on our manabase. Ever since Caverns I've not been a big fan of splashing non-creature off-color cards. Both Wasteland and Stifle punish us real bat, and so Price of Progress in lesser extend. I know we can dodge this, and most actually do, but I love the resilient manabase I have. For instance, against Folk I was Wasted 3 times G1, almost costing me the match, and managed to win G2 having played 5 straight Mountains, and he finished with 3 Wastelands out. So as much as I like the card Perish, I rather increase my % of wins having a better manabase.
    Other than that, my plan against fair decks has shifted sometime ago. Rather than bring powerful non-goblins cards (like RiP, Perish, Kinesis, etc), I choose to do not dilute the deck and win by card advantage. We can out-CA Jund/BUG/Canadian/whatever if we have 34 goblins on our deck even after sideboarding. That's my take on it.

@Needle: It is, imo, the most versatile card there is in monored today. Legacy is a jungle. I seriously don't know what we might face going into a big event. Look at woodjt5s report. I can't think at any other card that could win games against Affinity, Elves and TinFins, and adding up with mine, SnT too. The cost-efficiency is also hardly matched by other cards we can use.
    I don't expect Needle to win me the game on the spot, but it us easy to use, don't invest more resources or damages on our gameplan, and slows down enough decks to give us real shots at winning the game.
    Don't really know what more I can add. Guess that it'll prove to be worth it on next tournament reports.

Thread Information