Page 360 of 509 FirstFirst ... 260310350356357358359360361362363364370410460 ... LastLast
Results 7,181 to 7,200 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Re: [Deck] Goblins

A blue red goblin would be cool.....out of control of course; yet cunning....me amore!
    Ps. Not a flectomancer either.
    Ps. Had a few cocktails.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    A blue red goblin would be cool.....out of control of course; yet cunning....me amore!
    Ps. Not a flectomancer either.
    Ps. Had a few cocktails.
    I could get down with Spell Pierce and Divert, but I can't seem to test it. Volcanic Island is currently $203.60 (@ TCG Player Medium - 10:48 AM 3/23/2014). Simply don't have the funds to do it, though I wouldn't mind owning some Volcanics. I suppose I could proxy...

[Aside Pricing@="TCG Player Medium - 10:48 AM 3/23/2014"]
    $129.96 : Wasteland
    $114.99 : Rishadan Port
    $019.28 : Cavern of Souls
    $094.94 : Scalding Tarn
    $057.00 : Arid Mesa
    $044.45 : Wooded Foothills
    $042.44 : Bloodstained Mire

At first I thought it was Moderns fault for price jumps, then I noticed Wasteland. I blame Star City Games. This is still one of the cheapest decks in the format at around $1700-- geesh.
    [/Aside]

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    I could get down with Spell Pierce and Divert, but I can't seem to test it. Volcanic Island is currently $203.60 (@ TCG Player Medium - 10:48 AM 3/23/2014). Simply don't have the funds to do it, though I wouldn't mind owning some Volcanics. I suppose I could proxy...

At first I thought it was Moderns fault for price jumps, then I noticed Wasteland. I blame Star City Games. This is still one of the cheapest decks in the format at around $1700-- geesh.
    [/Aside]
    Some players over here in GErmany claim to have some success with blue splash. As far as I know they use Swan Song and Izzet Charm in their SBs. Flustertorm might be an option, too.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    Some players over here in GErmany claim to have some success with blue splash. As far as I know they use Swan Song and Izzet Charm in their SBs. Flusterstorm might be an option, too.
    Izzet Charm appears interesting. I can't really see how Swan Song is better than Red Elemental Blast. Is there a corner case or maybe something larger I am missing? Looks better against Enchantress.. and that's it.

[Edits]
    I just realized if the Sneak and Show player tries to simply hard cast Sneak Attack it is better, and that could come up if they learn of Goblins usual SB tech for the match-up, those being Ashen Rider and Confusion in the Ranks.
    [/Edits]

[Further Edits]
    Also Josiah Skallerup seems to have done well in the last Star City with an interesting build to boot. 19 land, 3 Chrome Mox, Lightning Crafter, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker with Double Tuktuk Scrapper main.
    [/Further Edits]

Dec 2013
    Oakland, CA

Hey guys, I just put up my best results with goblins so far at this weekend's SCG Open in LA! I ended up with a record of 7-2 to make 12th place out of about 375 players, narrowly missing top 8 after getting my second loss in the final round of swiss. I was really hoping to lock down an even stronger finish to help put our team on the map, but overall it was a good day so I can't complain too much.

Here's a link to my decklist: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=65256

I kept notes of my games and will be posting a tourney report soon, but I just wanted to let everyone know now so they can check out the list and share in some of my excitement for our little green horde. :)

Dec 2013
    Oakland, CA

Looks like Olaf beat me to my own good news. :) I will get that report up soon. What a day!

Aug 2012
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by cooljets View Post
    Hey guys, I just put up my best results with goblins so far at this weekend's SCG Open in LA! I ended up with a record of 7-2 to make 12th place out of about 375 players, narrowly missing top 8 after getting my second loss in the final round of swiss. I was really hoping to lock down an even stronger finish to help put our team on the map, but overall it was a good day so I can't complain too much.

Here's a link to my decklist: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=65256

I kept notes of my games and will be posting a tourney report soon, but I just wanted to let everyone know now so they can check out the list and share in some of my excitement for our little green horde. :)
    Congratulations and great work!
    I'm looking forward to the report and hope you'll touch on how things ran with only 5(6) removal and no Perish or Pyrokinesis out of the sideboard, choosing Kiki & Crafter over SGC & Krenko, and how often you were able to break games open with Warren Instigator.
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours."

My 1994+ Magic Cube

Your WInstigator list is very interesting and fun -- what match-ups do you regret not having the Rishadan Ports and the Thalias?

Apr 2010
    Germany

@ Josiah:

Your list is so damn sweet, man. In my testings I was not really happy with Lightning Crafter, I'd like to hear some words about that guy in your tournament report. Also, nice to see that you cut Gempalms entirley, that's one thing I learned after my last tournament too - the guy not as good as Tarfire right now. How did you like SHarpshooters? Could you see yourself replacing them with Dread of NIght?

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

omg, congratz on the finish Josiah!
    Really looking forward to see yor report. Always nice to see Winstigators list do that well.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Raznaak View Post
    Tourney result:
    I went to a legacy tournament at my store, and I got first place! And it was my first tournament! :P
    Me decklist:
    http://www.essentialmagic.com/Decks/View.asp?ID=1001395 (too lazy to type)

Results:
    2-1 against Counter-top (he went Engineering Plague on me on the second play)
    2-1 against Painter-Stone (Painter Servant and Grindstone, with goblin wielder)
    1-2 against Sneak'n'Show (he pyroclasmed me first game and I was mana screw on the third game)
    2-0 against reanimator (rushed him first game and Rest in Peaced him... poor guy)
    2-0 against Sneak'n'Show (my opponent really hate Stingscourger now :P)
    1-1 with Stone-blade (we agreed to a mutual draw before playing, to make it both in the top 8 instead of taking a gamble)

Top 8:
    2-1 against the same poor Painter-stone guy above (double Goblin Chieftain via Goblin Lackey and Talia really shut his Pyroclasm plan...)
    2-1 against another Painter-Stone (fucking close, but he didn't saw coming the triple Cavern into double Lackey and Goblin Legionnaire with Goblin Warchief on the battlefield...)
    1-1 against BUG (the tournament started at 9h and it was like 19h, so the organisation decided it was a draw for the prizes, but since I had a better tournament, I technically won).

So: Yes I had really favourable pairings and Talia and Chieftains are MVPs; since there was no combo, Mindbreak trap was useless (depening of the meta, I guess...), the Liege was useful once or twice, the Scrapper never, Wear//Tear is FREAKING useful, Rest in Peace too, Needle and the Chalice are situationnal, the Legionnaire should be in the side instead, against "walls" and Siege-Gang Commander won me three games against stallers.
    Congrats on the finish! The first tournament is the most intimidating I think (: The fact that you saw such great success in it is so great for you! Good work (:

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post

[/Aside]
    Modern legal lands in general can be modern's fault. Scalding tarn and misty rainforest are the two most expensive fetches.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Dec 2013
    Oakland, CA

SCG LA Open: Tournament Report

Okay, I promised everyone a report on my run at the SCG LA Legacy event yesterday, so here we go. First of all, I want to say thanks to GoboLord for the incredibly informative and detailed primer, and everyone else in this thread who have contributed their ideas. It's been a great resource for me to jump start my way back into legacy with the only deck I still had (somewhat) built after my 5-6 year hiatus from the game.

For awhile I was on a standard mono red build with Rishadan Port, Mogg War-Marshall, Gempalm Incinerator, etc, but I seemed to keep running into the same problems that inhibited any large success. MWM was underwhelming without a Piledriver or Gempalm. Gempalm never seemed to have enough guys in play (even with MWM) to take out Tarmagoyf and he can't even target True-Name Nemesis. The "god draw" with Warchief and multiple Piledrivers didn't materialize enough to be able to rely on. Combo was an auto-loss game one without this, and I didn't really know how to stretch my 10 sideboard slots for it correctly.

But then I found one of Gobo's more recent lists with Winstigator/Chrome Mox & the black splash for Warren Weirding/Cabal Therapy, and I knew that was what I wanted to start testing. After building and playing at a handful of smaller Legacy events at my favorite LGS, Eudemonia in Berkeley, I eventually settled into the list I sleeved up yesterday in LA.

//MANA [22]:
    4 Wasteland
    4 Cavern Of Souls
    4 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Mountain
    3 Chrome Mox

//CORE [28]:
    4 AEther Vial
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Warren Instigator
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader

//OTHER [10]:
    2 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Lightning Crafter
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    3 Tarfire
    2 Warren Weirding

//SIDEBOARD [15]:
    4 Chalice Of The Void
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Earwig Squad
    2 Goblin Sharpshooter
    2 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Stingscourger

There are basically two main reasons to play a list similar to this one. First, the power of Chrome Mox and Winstigator effectively giving us eight chances to have a turn one play leading to an active Lackey effect on turn two. And secondly, the black splash giving us an effective game against combo without sacrificing much in mana base, or the total goblin count in the deck for Matron and Ringleader purposes. You may also notice that I switched from Goblin Warchief to Chieftain entirely, after realizing that due to having 12 "cheat a goblin into play" abilities, I rarely needed the mana reducing ability, and was almost always wishing it was the +1/+1 ability. I did run a 3/3 split of them for awhile, but when trying to squeeze in a third Tarfire and Lightning Crafter, I realized Warchief was the most expendable.

Alright, with that said, let's get to the tournament!

Round 1 vs Basil Nabi playing Sneak & Show

Game 1: I was on the play, but Basil was able to cast Show And Tell on turn two thanks to a Sol land. I had Matron in hand and tutored up a Weirding for his Emrakul, but he had a Force of Will for the edict and I lost in short order to the annihilating 15/15.

Sideboard
    In: 4 Chalice, 4 Therapy, 2 Earwig, 1 Stingscourger
    Out: 4 Vial, 3 Tarfire, 2 Scrapper, 1 Crafter, 1 Kiki-Jiki

Game 2: I was on the play again and capitalized upon it with a turn one Mox and Winstigator, but Basil again had the Force of Will. The following turns left him playing land after land without finding any business while I beat him down with Matron and Chieftain.

Game 3: This time I was on the draw and had to mulligan a slow hand into one with Therapy. I made a pretty huge misplay here, naming Show & Tell instead of Sneak Attack when he already had three mana up, and sure enough, he revealed Emrukal, Pyroclasm, Ponder, and two Sneak Attacks. I got really lucky here and he never drew into a fourth mana giving me time to finish him off with Piledriver and a few other guys. Basil was (understandably) a bit upset at losing while I made such a bad play, but I luckily this was one of my only huge mistakes of the day.

1-0

Round 2 vs Ryder Aguilera playing Ad-Nauseam Tendrils

Game 1: Ryder had to mull to five in the first game, but he was able to find LED, Infernal Tutor, and enough other assorted spells to go off on me with a big Tendrils on turn three.

Sideboard
    In: 4 Chalice, 4 Therapy, 2 Earwig
    Out: 4 Vial, 3 Tarfire, 2 Weirding, 1 Stingscourger

Game 2: I cast a first turn Therapy and snagged an LED, and followed it up with a Chalice on one, and then later another one on two, prompting a scoop before I even put a big clock on the table.

Game 3: I got fairly lucky here when Ryder had to mull to four for his second game on the play and once again my blind Therapy hit (this time I called Brainstorm after I saw him fetch up an island). There was a point later in the game while I was finishing him off with goblins where I forgot to flash back my Therapy with an extra Matron or Ringleader and he told me after the game he did have a few outs, so this was another spot where I had to thank my lucky stars for not losing when making an obvious misplay.

2-0

Round 3 vs Feline Longmore playing High Tide

Game 1: I have never played against High Tide before so this match was a bit of a learn-on-the-fly moment for me. I started with turn one Lackey on the play and used it to drop a Scrapper on her Candelabra. My clock began to get serious with a Piledriver, forcing her to attempt to go off before she was ready and she wasn't able to get there. This failed attempt gave me a crash course in the deck, however, so it was pretty helpful in the following games.

Sideboard
    In: 4 Chalice, 4 Therapy, 2 Earwig, 2 Scrapper
    Out: 4 Vial, 3 Tarfire, 2 Weirding, 1 Crafter, 1 Stingscourger, 1 Kiki-Jiki

Game 2: It was obvious that my combo heavy sideboard was a huge blessing for me, having to face three combo decks in three rounds. In game two, my opening Therapy was dropped by Force of Will, but soon a Matron snagged me Earwig Squad and without blockers in the way they were able to give me a peek at Feline's deck. My main choices were three Cunning Wish, one Blue Sun's Zenith, and three or four Time Spirals (draw seven's are good, right?). Still not knowing the deck that well, I decided to go with the three Wishes. Sadly, even while feeling like I was about to close it out, she made a last ditch attempt to go off and after being down to the final card in her hand (Ponder), she shuffled instead of reordering and I cut her to a Time Spiral which was more than enough for her to eventually Zenith me for my whole deck.

Game 3: This time I was on the play and I kept a great hand, giving me turn one Lackey, turn two Chalice and Warchief (via Lackey) and turn three Earwig (via Prowl). This time I noticed that she already had a Wish in her hand so I stripped three Time Spirals and she wasn't able to get there.

3-0

Round 4 vs Matt Gosler playing Jund

Game 1: I mulliganed to six and keep a hand with two Vial. My early goblin got Punishing Fire'd and I knew I was lost after both Vial's said goodbye thanks to Maelstrom Pulse and a Hymn to Tourach stripped Matron and Ringleader, leaving me with a single Mox that I didn't have a reason to use earlier. It wasn't long before I was facing down Bobs, Goyfs, and had no way to fight back.

Sideboard
    In: 2 Sharpshooter
    Out: 2 Scrapper

Game 2: The second game was a longer affair where my opponent didn't have much, but my deck gave me a strange combination of cards that didn't give me any way of capitalizing on his slow start. An early Winstigator brought out Kiki-Jiki (who promptly ate a lightning bolt), and then the only other goblins I drew were all four(!) Lackeys and 2 more Winstigators. Eventually, my opponent started drawing his Bobs and Goyfs again, and my army of 1/1's just couldn't cut it.

3-1

Round 5 vs Bryan Rockenback playing Esper Deathblade

Game 1: This was an interesting match because I had already defeated Bryan the day before in Standard with Devotion to Blue while he was on Esper Control. I was hoping I'd be able to take him down again to keep myself alive after my previous loss, but this time I had to fight back after a subtle yet fatal flaw game one. I used a fetchland on my turn after he played turn one Deathrite Shaman. Bryan used the extra mana to power out a turn two True-Name Nemesis. The game continued with each of us building up our boards, I had multiple Ringleaders and they found Scrapper for his Jitte, but all the while TNN was taking three point chunks out of my life total and he was able to do exactzies with his TNN and DRS the turn before I could have killed him. If only I had played my non-fetch land turn one, I'm pretty sure this game could have been mine. Doh!

Sideboard
    In: 2 Scrapper, 2 Sharpshooter
    Out: 4 Piledriver

Game 2: Our second battle involved plenty of goblins on my side, with nothing but land-go's by Bryan after his initial Swords to Plowshares and Snapcaster Mage. After dropping him to zero he revealed a hand full of lands and it turns out that he had kept a 5 land hand before proceeding to draw blanks the whole game.

Game 3: Bryan seemed more confident this time, but I had a killer opening with turn one Lackey into turn two Kiki-Jiki who began abusing Ringleader's CIP ability to just completely swarm the board. TNN tried to race me but my card advantage couldn't be stopped.

4-1

Round 6 vs Ross Roemer playing Reanimator

Game 1: Ross began with Dark Ritual into double Thoughseize but my hand was redundant enough to still leave me with a few guys while his Entomb'd Iona never came out to play. I assume he would have chosen red, but here's a situation where Warren Weirding could have saved the day for me, so I held a Matron back just in case.

Sideboard
    In: 2 Earwig, 1 Stingscourger
    Out: 3 Tarfire

Game 2: Ross mulliganed to six, but still had a great turn one with Dark Ritual into Lilliana. I didn't have any pressure early and the black planeswalker was able to plus-one three times before ultimating. My choice was a pile with Matron, Piledriver, Mountain and Wasteland, Badlands. I chose the two lands since my hand was all 3CC and above (plus, I wanted access to black mana for the Earwig Squad in my hand). Here's where things got silly. After losing his Lilly, Ross continued to rip land after land, while I drew nothing but goblins. This went on for quite a few minutes but eventually he started beating me down with Vampire Hexmages. I finally drew into some Winstigators that traded with the Hexmages, but I was at low life total as I started to mount my own offense. I was able to send the Earwig team on the prowl and tried to locate his remaining win conditions. I eventually settled on Griselbrand, his fourth Hexmage, and Reanimate, and thought I was in the clear. The next turn Ross topdecked a tutor and found a win condition I had overlooked (the black legendary land that sacrifices into a 5/5 flyer) for the game.

Sideboard
    In: 3 Tarfire
    Out: 2 Scrapper, 1 Crafter

Game 3: I realized that the four 2/1 first-striking Hexmages could be a problem for me, and after checking his deck, didn't see any artifacts, so I went back to the board for game three to replace the Scrappers with Tarfires. Although it ended up not mattering, it proved to be the right decision. I began with Mountain, Lackey, go while Ross just drew and discarded Griselbrand. I hit with Lackey and used Matron to reveal Weirding. Ross took a long time deciding what to do on his next turn, eventually settling on Reanimate and a Griselbrand activation. I was a bit scared, but this action already had him at five life, and his face quickly showed that he had screwed something up. Next turn I had Weirding and attacked for the win. Afterwards Ross told me that he should have cast Ritual before Reanimate on turn two so that he could have also dropped a Hexmage to thwart Weirding, but I showed him the Tarfire in my hand and he felt a little better.

5-1

Round 7 vs Joseph Loster playing Jund

Game 1: This was the fastest game I played all day. We began with a mulligan from Joseph and a turn one Lackey by me. He struck back with a Thoughseize, but when after looking at my hand of multiple goblins and double Wasteland, he scooped before I saw a third card.

Sideboard
    In: 2 Sharpshooter
    Out: 1 Scrapper, 1 Stingscourger

Game 2: In hindsight, I should have known that Joseph was on Jund, even while only seeing Badlands and Thoughseize, but for some reason at the time I figured he was on a strange version of goblins, so I only boarded in the Sharpshooters. His early DRS and Bobs got smoked by Tarfires, but an Engineered Plague shortly followed, and while I played a handful of turns attempting to assemble some Chieftains and other X/2's, Punishing Fire and Grove of the Burnwillows surfaced and I decided to scoop before showing him I was running four Chieftain in place of Warchief in case it mattered in game three.

Sideboard
    In: Stingscourger
    Out: Scrapper

Game 3: Now knowing my opponent was on Jund, I replaced the final Scrapper with Stingscourger in case I had to deal with some big Goyfs. This game began with us both mulling to six, but I kept a good hand and chained Lackey into Chieftain and Piledriver to end the game before Joseph could do much of anything. We were nearing the end of swiss, so it was obvious Joseph was a bit tilted after losing two games very quickly, even while having access to Engineered Plague in his 75.

6-1

Round 8 vs Bryan Olvera playing American Delver

Game 1: The energy at the top tables was starting to get a bit electric, and as I sat down against Bryan he informed me he was undefeated. I started getting pretty nervous as I mulled to five, and things got even worse with my turn one Vial getting Force'd, but on turn two or three I played a Chieftain via Cavern and Bryan attempted to Daze it, not realizing his mistake until a Tundra was already in his hand. A Lackey and Stingscourger soon joined the Chief and after chump blocking with an unflipped Delver, Bryan finally ran out of life.

Sideboard
    In: 2 Sharpshooter, 2 Scrapper
    Out: 4 Piledriver

Game 2: This game was pretty interesting. My opening Vial got FoW'd and he used a Stoneforge Mystic to get a Jitte. I tried to Tarfire the Mystic to keep Jitte in his hand but that just drew another FoW. After that we each used a Wasteland on an opposing dual land, leaving nothing but a Squire on the ground. Bryan hit for one a few times, but I drew out of the landless situation faster, quickly taking him out once I obtained RR for Winstigator who then brought Matron, Kiki-Jiki and more.

7-1

Round 9 vs Yurien Seyssel playing Goblin Belcher

Game 1: After a quick check of the standings, it was pretty certain that drawing in wasn't going to work, as there were 16 players with the ability to leapfrog us if we drew to 22 points while I was at 7th place and Yuri at 8th. I was on the play and was feeling great about my opening Mox into Winsigator, but Yuri's hand of three(!) Lotus Petal, LED, Simian Spirit Guide, Pyretic Ritual, and Burning Wish let him Empty The Warrens and suddenly I was facing down sixteen goblins to my lonely Winstigator. I do believe there was a joke or two about how we were both playing for the same team but I had to move on to game two.

Sideboard
    In: 4 Chalice, 4 Therapy, 2 Earwig, 2 Sharpshooter
    Out: 4 Vial, 3 Tarfire, 2 Weirding, 1 Tuktuk Scrapper, 1 Crafter, 1 Stingscourger

Game 2: Just like my earlier match against High Tide, I wasn't very familiar with this deck and didn't put 2 and 2 together (he didn't show me any lands game one) and realize this was the infamous Goblin Belcher deck (not just a storm deck), so I actually boarded out a Scrapper in favor of Sharpshooters to take out a big Empty The Warrens. I started things off with a Chalice on zero to stop the mana artifacts and Yuri replied with some free mana to empty his hand and leave him with a Belcher. Now realizing what deck he was really on I regretted going down to one Scrapper, but luckily I was able to take him to zero before he drew three more mana to activate the Belcher.

Sideboard
    In: Scrapper
    Out: Sharpshooter

Game 3: For the final game I went back up to two Scrappers and down to a singleton Sharpshooter. It was hard to really know how to fill my deck with everything that could be useful. Perhaps it would have been better to drop some Ringleaders or Piledrivers to get up to four Scrappers and both Shooters, but I still wanted the Piledrivers speed and the Ringleaders card advantage. This game started with Yuri staring me down and just saying, "Go." Thankful that I wasn't already dead, I contemplated what to name with Therapy, eventually settling on Goblin Belcher. He revealed his hand to show a smattering of mana acceleration, including two Tinder Wall and a Burning Wish. I was disappointed that I didn't name Wish now, but still felt safe as I could follow up next turn with a Chalice on one. Yuri drew into a Land Grant finding his Stomping Ground and turned his hand into a Warrens for 10. At this point I pretty much knew things were over. With no hand left, I skipped the Chalice for a Winstigator, with a faint hope that he could get through to drop Matron for Shaprshooter, but a Tinder Wall came down next turn to block, forcing me to hard cast the Matron. This meant my Sharpshooter was a turn late, and he got to stare down the remaining nine attacking goblin tokens while still under the effect of summoning sickness. And with that, my day was done.

7-2 for a final finish of 12th place out of 375 competitors.

Some more thoughts on the day, specific card choices, and ideas going forward:

Obviously, as we all know, Lackey, Matron, and Ringleader are absolutely essential to the deck and sure enough, each one did major work all day long. Turn one Lackey is usually our best play, and even though he often gets countered or removed, I was kind of surprised at how often he DID survive. And, of course, once he hits things start rolling and it gets us going fast enough to compete with the high power level of the rest of the field.

Which brings me to my next point: If Lackey is our best turn one play, why not run eight of him? Winstigator does require a mox to get down on the same turn, but the card disadvantage can often be made up for with Ringleader, and other times, it doesn't end up mattering since we gain so much tempo. I know I didn't specifically show it in the report, but many times throughout the day, an early Winstigator led to my favorite play: First strike trigger for Matron into regular strike trigger for Kiki-Jiki.

At first, when trying to put together my deck, I opted for Krenko as my "finisher" instead of SGC or Kiki-Jiki, partly because I thought it would be good to be able to tick my Vials up to four and then leave them there, so that I never had a feel bad moment when I topdecked Ringleader or Tuktuk with my Vial already at five. But the more I played Krenko, the more I realized (just as GoboLord pointed out earlier) he was "not needed and not wanted". If we're not running the Gempalm plan, a bunch more 1/1's aren't always really helpful, and obviously, he was a huge lightning rod that didn't always live to see his first activation anyway.

Once I started playing with Winstigator, I realized the insane power of two Lackey triggers in a row. It's not that often you don't have either a Matron or Ringleader in hand to use as your first Winstigator trigger, leaving you with many options as your second drop. But did I really want to be dropping Matron -> Krenko? It just seemed way better to replace Krenko with Kiki-Jiki, as he doesn't require a hastelord to get value on the first turn. Even if our second turn Kiki gets removed, we still get a second tutor or ringleader flip to preserve value. Compare this to Krenko or SGC: Krenko is completely useless if he gets removed right away (and even if you have a hastelord, you'll probably only have 2 or 3 extra guys). Same with SGC, 3 extra 1/1's really don't compare to the versatility of being able to get a second tutor and get the actual goblin that will be useful going forward. Of course, if Kiki isn't answered right away, we can start going to town on our opponent's end step to have even more attackers on our turn in addition to our card advantage. Once again, I know I didn't remember enough specific details to display this in the game reports, but many times throughout the tournament, Winstigator into Matron/Ringleader into Kiki-Jiki closed games out fast and also left me with many options to deal with whatever answers my opponent may have had.

I did mention it a bit above, but just to reiterate, with twelve cards that are cheating our cards into play, I never really missed Warchief's cost lessening abillity. I will absolutely be running four Chieftain in the future, as they are great with Winstigators double strike, a good way to stay alive against -1/-1 effects, help us close out games faster, and just generally make our team something more than a bunch of stupid 1/1's when facing down 4/4 Batterskulls or ⅚ Tarmagoyfs which tended to happen a lot when I was running Warchiefs and MWMs.

With two extra spots freed up from the Warchiefs, I decided to run one Stingscourger main, which I think is the right choice. Yeah, he's kinda dumb in a lot of situations, and I almost never want him in my opening hand, but having the ability to have at least something to do game one against Show And Tell and Reanimator game one when holding a Matron is worth it.

Next up we have Tuktuk Scrapper. With the popularity of equipment based decks, I think we absolutely want more than one way to deal with a Batterskull or Jitte. I didn't end up playing that many Delver/Stoneforge decks this time, but there are still a ton of them running around, and with stuff like TNN we need a way to deal with the equipment if we want any hope of racing the unblockable 3/1. With the black splash, Tuktuk is our best choice, and even in the more useless matchups we can still bash for two, throw him under a mox, plus our Vials are topping top out at four, which is perfect for him.

Finally, I'd like to mention poor Lightning Crafter. I want so badly for him to be good, but as you can see, the most work he did yesterday was as mox fodder. I have visions of him championing the Matron or Ringleader that found him to preserve value when he ultimately gets removed. I have daydreams of him singlehandedly dropping Delvers and Bobs and Stoneforge Mystics left and right. But for some reason, I have yet to have him do any of this. I may keep leaving him a slot in an attempt to see him in action, but there are plenty of other things that might also be useful. Considerations include a maindeck Sharpshooter (at least he bricks Empty The Warrens and just generally confuses opponents), a fourth Tarfire, a third Scrapper, a second Kiki-Jiki, SGC, or perhaps I could find a way to go back up to six hastelords with his absence (although, he is one of the reasons to even want more hastelords, so I'm not too sure about that).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the sideboard. 4 Chalice and 4 Therapy are absolutely essential for the combo matchups, and since they are more versatile than more specific combo hate cards like Mindbreak Trap or Ashen Rider (yuck) they end up doing a lot of work and are never wasted space. I was previously on three Earwig Squad, but I think two is enough, as our Lackeys and Winstiagors are hitting more often against combo letting our Matrons tutor them up fairly often. The last few spots aren't as important, and are just mainly there to just slightly tweak the deck against our already solid matchups (the "fair" decks) when we'd rather have Sharpshooter or extra Scrappers in place of a Stingscourger or the Piledrivers.

Anyway, thanks for reading my report. I hope everyone can get something out of it. If you have any questions or comments, let me know, I'll be checking back. It would have been nice to top 8 (or even win) and show the world that our Gobbos are still a team of champions, but I can't complain too much. I still had a great time and, as always, this finish just has me pumped up for my next tournament. :)
    Last edited by cooljets; 07-23-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Re: SCG LA Open: Tournament Report

Thank you for your report. Some comments:

You may also notice that I switched from Goblin Warchief to Chieftain entirely, after realizing that due to having 12 "cheat a goblin into play" abilities, I rarely needed the mana reducing ability, and was almost always wishing it was the +1/+1 ability. I did run a 3/3 split of them for awhile, but when trying to squeeze in a third Tarfire and Lightning Crafter, I realized Warchief was the most expendable.
    Very good observation, Iagree with you. Although I'm not sure if cutting them entirely is correct. But, yeah, they are indeed the first thing that comes into mind when you want to tweak the list in a direction of more removal/more fatties7more shatter-goblins.

Round 1 vs Basil Nabi playing Sneak & Show

Game 1: I was on the play, but Basil was able to cast Show And Tell on turn two thanks to a Sol land. I had Matron in hand and tutored up a Weirding for his Emrakul, but he had a Force of Will for the edict and I lost in short order to the annihilating 15/15.
    Don't know if that was even an option at that point, but you could also have tutored a Stingscourger in case you had a Cavern of Souls. That would at least delay your opponent'S win for a few turns.

Round 3 vs Feline Longmore playing High Tide
    Could it be the case that you played against another member of TheSource? There is a user called feline who wrote the SpringTide deckprimer. Could be just coincidence though.

Game 2: It was obvious that my combo heavy sideboard was a huge blessing for me, having to face three combo decks in three rounds. In game two, my opening Therapy was dropped by Force of Will, but soon a Matron snagged me Earwig Squad and without blockers in the way they were able to give me a peek at Feline's deck. My main choices were three Cunning Wish, one Blue Sun's Zenith, and three or four Time Spirals (draw seven's are good, right?). Still not knowing the deck that well, I decided to go with the three Wishes. Sadly, even while feeling like I was about to close it out, she made a last ditch attempt to go off and after being down to the final card in her hand (Ponder), she shuffled instead of reordering and I cut her to a Time Spiral which was more than enough for her to eventually Zenith me for my whole deck.

Game 3: This time I was on the play and I kept a great hand, giving me turn one Lackey, turn two Chalice and Warchief (via Lackey) and turn three Earwig (via Prowl). This time I noticed that she already had a Wish in her hand so I stripped three Time Spirals and she wasn't able to get there.
    You learn pretty fast :-D Well played. Cunning wish is a reasonable target, but usually it's their #4 to #6 way to grab a Timespiral, meaning that Timespiral should usually be your first choice.

Game 3: For the final game I went back up to two Scrappers and down to a singleton Sharpshooter. It was hard to really know how to fill my deck with everything that could be useful. Perhaps it would have been better to drop some Ringleaders
    Belcher is among our worst MUs, so there is no point in worrying too much here. YOu can hardly improve you chances, because the whole MU revolves around how fast they are able to kill you. I'd say that, as a rule of thumb, after turn 3 their Empty the Warrens is pretty much useless, because you can usually deal with any amount of token from that point on. So, if you happen to live until turn 3 AND you got a Therapy to cast then you should not name Empty the Warrens, but Belcher of Burning Wish.
    Second, it's not unusal to board outRingleaders against combo decks, because the large number of SB cards you bring in makes them much worse. Piledriver should stay in you MD against combo to assemble a fast kill.

Some more thoughts on the day, specific card choices, and ideas going forward:

At first, when trying to put together my deck, I opted for Krenko as my "finisher" instead of SGC or Kiki-Jiki, partly because I thought it would be good to be able to tick my Vials up to four and then leave them there, so that I never had a feel bad moment when I topdecked Ringleader or Tuktuk with my Vial already at five. But the more I played Krenko, the more I realized (just as GoboLord pointed out earlier) he was "not needed and not wanted". If we're not running the Gempalm plan, a bunch more 1/1's aren't always really helpful, and obviously, he was a huge lightning rod that didn't always live to see his first activation anyway.
    That confirms my thoughts on the decklist, thank you.

I did mention it a bit above, but just to reiterate, with twelve cards that are cheating our cards into play, I never really missed Warchief's cost lessening abillity. I will absolutely be running four Chieftain in the future, as they are great with Winstigators double strike, a good way to stay alive against -1/-1 effects, help us close out games faster, and just generally make our team something more than a bunch of stupid 1/1's when facing down 4/4 Batterskulls or ⅚ Tarmagoyfs which tended to happen a lot when I was running Warchiefs and MWMs.
    Not to meantion that Chieftain can force your turn 1 lackey through early SFM and DRS . Instead of sitting still, you leave your opponent with the choice to either block it and lose their valueable creature, or let it connect and risk to lose right on the spot.

Finally, I'd like to mention poor Lightning Crafter. I want so badly for him to be good, but as you can see, the most work he did yesterday was as mox fodder. I have visions of him championing the Matron or Ringleader that found him to preserve value when he ultimately gets removed. I have daydreams of him singlehandedly dropping Delvers and Bobs and Stoneforge Mystics left and right. But for some reason, he never ends up doing anything and I think it might be time to admit the fact that his slot could be better used as something else. Maybe a maindeck Sharpshooter (at least he bricks Empty The Warrens and just generally confuses opponents), maybe the fourth Tarfire, or perhaps I could find a way to go back up to six hastelords with his absence (although, he is one of the reasons to even want more hastelords, so I'm not too sure about that).
    I'm happy to hear some words on Lightning Crafter, even more so to see that you confirmed the conclusions I drew after my last tournament.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the sideboard. 4 Chalice and 4 Therapy are absolutely essential for the combo matchups, and since they are more versatile than more specific combo hate cards like Mindbreak Trap or Ashen Rider (yuck) they end up doing a lot of work and are never wasted space. I was previously on three Earwig Squad, but I think two is enough, as our Lackeys and Winstiagors are hitting more often against combo letting our Matrons tutor them up fairly often. The last few spots aren't as important, and are just mainly there to just slightly tweak the deck against our already solid matchups (the "fair" decks) when we'd rather have Sharpshooter or extra Scrappers in place of a Stingscourger or the Piledrivers.
    How would you like Dread of Night in the SB? I dislike SHarpshooter because he's to slow and "a huge lightning rod", as you would say.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Nice report and congrats for the result !

I noticed that you boarded in only stingscourger and earwig squad against reanimator. I don't exactly know what kind of deck your opponent was playing because you mentioned he also ran vampire hexmages and liliana's, but against classic reanimator chalice of the void is one of the best cards we have because,set at one, it blanks half their deck. Probably you chose right leaving them in sideboard because his mana curve seemed to be more varied.
    Anyway i think you should have brought in therapies because it's good against any kind of combo deck.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    You learn pretty fast :-D Well played. Cunning wish is a reasonable target, but usually it's their #4 to #6 way to grab a Timespiral, meaning that Timespiral should usually be your first choice.
    People usually seem to target Wish/Freeze/Spiral, but why wouldn't you just exile 3 High Tides? How can they win without the mana?

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    People usually seem to target Wish/Freeze/Spiral, but why wouldn't you just exile 3 High Tides? How can they win without the mana?

You are right.

On a second thought it depends on their number of lands i guess. They can even go off with a medium - high land count and only 1 High Tide, because Time Spiral reshuffles High Tide.

Sep 2011

@CoolJets: Congrats on your result! Glad to see Goblins do so well!

Game 2: The second game was a longer affair where my opponent didn't have much, but my deck gave me a strange combination of cards that didn't give me any way of capitalizing on his slow start. An early Winstigator brought out Kiki-Jiki (who promptly ate a lightning bolt), and then the only other goblins I drew were all four(!) Lackeys and 2 more Winstigators. Eventually, my opponent started drawing his Bobs and Goyfs again, and my army of 1/1's just couldn't cut it.
    That's a drawback of running 8 Lackeys. Sometimes you just draw 7 of them.

I'm guessing you only had Kiki off the Instigator and not Matron -> Kiki off the double trigger? Because if you had a Matron or Ringleader out with Kiki then you'd easily profit even if he gets bolted. Sucks that you had nothing else in hand.

Game 1: This was an interesting match because I had already defeated Bryan the day before in Standard with Devotion to Blue while he was on Esper Control. I was hoping I'd be able to take him down again to keep myself alive after my previous loss, but this time I had to fight back after a subtle yet fatal flaw game one. I used a fetchland on my turn after he played turn one Deathrite Shaman. Bryan used the extra mana to power out a turn two True-Name Nemesis.
    I'm guessing you had a turn 1 play, either Vial or Lackey? Otherwise I would have waited until his end step to crack the fetch to deny him of the extra mana for a turn. Actually, since T1 Lackey is a weak follow-up to T1 DRS (unless you have Tarfire in hand too), I'd probably only crack the fetch turn 1 if I had a Vial hand. Multiple Ringleaders is sweet though :D

I'm wondering if Rb Goblins should switch back to its 4 Auntie's Hovel + 4 Badlands + 0 fetches manabase. We're a manadenial deck at heart. The format plays DRS. Why give them free mana? Also, decks like RUG play Stifle and we need our land drops. People don't play Back to Basics anymore and Blood Moon doesn't do much to us. The only card that gets a lot better is Price to Progress, but I'd take that risk.

Round 6 vs Ross Roemer playing Reanimator
    Game 1: Ross began with Dark Ritual into double Thoughseize but my hand was redundant enough to still leave me with a few guys while his Entomb'd Iona never came out to play. I assume he would have chosen red, but here's a situation where Warren Weirding could have saved the day for me, so I held a Matron back just in case.
    Sweet. Back when Reanimator was a DTB in the Mystical Tutor days and the top dog to cheat out was Iona, I loved Rb goblins because Iona couldn't shut out both Weirding and Scourger. You've got both. Nowadays I'm surprised someone would get her against goblins (which has Vial and splash colors) instead of Blazing Archon or Griselbrand.

Sounds like just bad luck with the pairings. This is by far one of the worst matchups (I'm not saying worst only because Spanish Inquisition). Really sucks that you had to face this after a 7-1 streak with good top 8 potential. Belcher is designed to steamroll non-blue decks. Sounds like he actually drew badly too. Thems the breaks.

IMO, against decks that aim to win on turn 1, you should board out Ringleaders.
    1) You don't beat combo decks with slow card advantage. That's how you beat blue decks.
    2) Ringleader gets worse when you board in a ton of combo-hate non-Goblin cards, diluting your Goblin %.

Removal spells are typically bad too. Combo finishes (Kiki+Crafter) and power aggro cards (Pile, Chieftain) are probably your best creatures. You usually want to turn your deck into all combo hate cards and cards that let you goldfish very quickly. Although the cards you sided out are good choices too. The only thing I would have kept in is Crafter, since an Instigator + Mox + Matron hand is a turn 3 goldfish with Crafter in the deck!!

That was one of the best tournament reports I have ever read; great job on the reporting.

As for a question, why did you opt to run 4 badlands instead of two or three with additional fetches? fetch lands cant be wastelanded, and the life seems irrelevant.

Also, and this is for everyone, I have been testing a one-of Legion Loyalist: this card has single-handedly won many, many games with all three parts of his ability being relevant, plus given a 1/1 hasty gobo-body.
    First-Strike: least relevant ability: extremely useful against a multitude of creatures, such as Dark Confidant, with only one or two toughness; plus lacky-triggers that make it through happen before blocker damage
    Trample: the initial reason for me testing it, but actually only the second most relevant: WInstigator and Piledriver with trample? OKAY!
    Can't be blocked by Creature Tokens: SUPER-RELEVANT: no more Germs killing Goblins, no more Souls blocking Piledrivers, no more Thopters, no more Warrens-emptied, and no more 1/1 Knights. Stopping Batterskull alone is worth the price of this being a 1-of-75.

Tutorable, immediate, threatening, relevant: my type of card.

Oct 2004
    Earth

Nice result and report. I noticed two things in your report:
    1. Wasteland mattered enough to be mentioned in only one game, and
    2. Vial was countered twice in one match, and didn't seem to matter much overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    Nice result and report. I noticed two things in your report:
    1. Wasteland mattered enough to be mentioned in only one game, and
    2. Vial was countered twice in one match, and didn't seem to matter much overall.
    2. I was thinking on that too. Like, he could -1vial +1tarfire.

@Suitch: Please, show us your results, matches, I would love to read them.

Thanks!

Thread Information