Page 366 of 509 FirstFirst ... 266316356362363364365366367368369370376416466 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,320 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

The problem with counter spells has always been that they require you to keep mana open and be reactive. Goblins has never been a reactive deck in that regard. Goblins is Proactive; it wants to play Lackey/Vial T1 and Waste/Port T2. You don't want to sandbag goblins in hand to keep mana open for counter spells because you need to put on a clock. You will never have more counters than they have discard/combo spells, so you need to beat by building a board presence and slow them down for a few turns. That's why Thalia is so good in goblins. She speeds up our clock and slows theirs.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Men, I'm so excited ! My local store's owner bought 2 onslaught boxes online and we are soon going to do an onslaught draft ! Will I manage to draft goblins ? (although i'd maybe prefer to open a couple of fetches )

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    Men, I'm so excited ! My local store's owner bought 2 onslaught boxes online and we are soon going to do an onslaught draft ! Will I manage to draft goblins ? (although i'd maybe prefer to open a couple of fetches )
    Haha. That must be fun =] I'd certainly go for Fetches over goblins though...

@ U Splash - I have played only with Daze and Brainstorm, and believe it or not, Brainstorm is a hell of a card, even in goblins, while Daze was very underwhelming...
    That said, some people had success with Fluster/Pierce on the SB. Just try it out and get to your own conclusions.

@GobboLord - Clear some space on the inbox please =]
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

I'm trying
    4 relics of progenitus
    4 cabal therapy
    4 swan song
    2 krosan grip
    1 perish

Thalia unfortunately does almost nothing vs S&T if we have no land control and dmg.
    In blue or/and black sb we need sb+dmg, land control will be just good adding but not necessary and it is good.

Vs Tes, Ant Thalia is a huge! But if opponent knows that we play only white splash it is easy for him to sb vs us, just bring massacre, decay and name thalia with cabal therapy. And he knows that we have nothing on turn one and this is sad for us.

We can find a badlands if we have swan song in hand and vice versa to force an opponent to make a mistake with cabal therapy on turn one.

Vs tes, ant I sb
    +4 ss
    +4 therapy
    +4 relic
    +0-1 krosan grip

-4 ringleader
    -1 stingscourger
    -3 gempalm
    -4 vial
    Is it ok?

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by OlegtheSuper View Post
    I'm trying
    4 relics of progenitus
    4 cabal therapy
    4 swan song
    2 krosan grip
    1 perish

Thalia unfortunately does almost nothing vs S&T if we have no land control and dmg.
    In blue or/and black sb we need sb+dmg, land control will be just good adding but not necessary and it is good.

Vs Tes, Ant Thalia is a huge! But if opponent knows that we play only white splash it is easy for him to sb vs us, just bring massacre, decay and name thalia with cabal therapy. And he knows that we have nothing on turn one and this is sad for us.

We can find a badlands if we have swan song in hand and vice versa to force an opponent to make a mistake with cabal therapy on turn one.

Vs tes, ant I sb
    +4 ss
    +4 therapy
    +4 relic
    +0-1 krosan grip

-4 ringleader
    -1 stingscourger
    -3 gempalm
    -4 vial
    Is it ok?
    Our talk about swansong Makes me want to try the card myself. My SB looks like this now. (Winstigator Shell MD)

4 chalice
    3-4 Therapy
    2-3 perish
    3 swan song
    2 Dismember

Manabase:
    4 Caverns
    5 fetch
    4 auntie's hovel
    1 badlands
    1 volcanic
    3 chrome mox
    3 Mountain
    2 wasteland

@marcelo: done.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    Our talk about swansong Makes me want to try the card myself. My SB looks like this now. (Winstigator Shell MD)

4 chalice
    3-4 Therapy
    2-3 perish
    3 swan song
    2 Dismember

Manabase:
    4 Caverns
    5 fetch
    4 auntie's hovel
    1 badlands
    1 volcanic
    3 chrome mox
    3 Mountain
    2 wasteland

Why 4 hovels and 1 badlands? Have you test it?
    My manabase is

4 cavern
    7 fetchlands
    2 mountain
    2 taiga
    1 volcan
    1 badlands
    4 wasteland
    2 port

Apr 2010
    Germany

Why 4 hovels and 1 badlands? Have you test it?
    My manabase is

4 cavern
    7 fetchlands
    2 mountain
    2 taiga
    1 volcan
    1 badlands
    4 wasteland
    2 port
    I dont own more than 1 badlands and hovel is really only slightly worse.

I dont get Why you want krosan grip. In which MUs Do you need it?

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

I dont own more than 1 badlands and hovel is really only slightly worse.

I dont get Why you want krosan grip. In which MUs Do you need it?
    I sb 1 vs uwr(I've 2 tin and 1 tuk in main)
    Sb 0-1-2 vs TA for plagues
    BG with plagues
    Rip+helm combo
    Enchantress
    1-2 vs merfolks(3 jittes in sb)
    MUD
    Ant, tes
    1 vs reanimator for animate dead, for needles to deal with them faster
    2 vs death and taxes
    2 vs miracles to deal with top
    And so on.
    Last edited by OlegtheSuper; 05-06-2014 at 04:31 AM.

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

4 chalice
    3-4 Therapy
    2-3 perish
    3 swan song
    2 Dismember

Manabase:
    4 Caverns
    5 fetch
    4 auntie's hovel
    1 badlands
    1 volcanic
    3 chrome mox
    3 Mountain
    2 wasteland

I belive if you want to play blue splash you have to change your manabase. You need more fetchlands,0 hoves and 3 badlands in total.
    4 caverns
    3 moxes
    3 mountain
    3 badlands
    1 volcanic
    2 wasteland
    7 fetchlands

Or
    6 fetchlands
    3 wastelands

It will bring your deck to the next level.

Realy sorry, I'm realy respect all you are doing for deck and for all who wants to play this deck(in Russia I'm doing the same things) but hoves is a very bad card. This is true and you know it. I hope you don't offense to me.

Apr 2010
    Germany

I belive if you want to play blue splash you have to change your manabase. You need more fetchlands,0 hoves and 3 badlands in total.
    4 caverns
    3 moxes
    3 mountain
    3 badlands
    1 volcanic
    2 wasteland
    7 fetchlands

Or
    6 fetchlands
    3 wastelands

It will bring your deck to the next level.

Realy sorry, I'm realy respect all you are doing for deck and for all who wants to play this deck(in Russia I'm doing the same things) but hoves is a very bad card. This is true and you know it. I hope you don't offense to me.
    I think you are right about the number of fetchlands. When I'm playing with 3 colors it is definitely better to play 6 or more fetchlands and fetch-able duallands of course. Jim Davis used to run 6 Fetchlands and only 1 Taiga and 1 Plateau in his classic Rgw build, so I'm pretty confident that 6 fetchlands 1 badlands and 1 Volcanic Island will work out for me (considering that auntie's hovel more than make up for the number of B cards I'm playing).
    However I must correct you on Auntie's Hovel. If I had the opportunity I would play 4 Badlands and 4 Auntie's Hovel (and maybe 1 or 2 fetchlands) in my list. I am aiming at making Stoneforge Mystic and Deathrite Shaman as worse as possible, which is why I play a full set of Tarfire and as few Wastelands and fetchlands as possile. In a 2-colored (Rb) list Auntie's Hovel is definitely better than a fetchland. It is basically a non-fetchable Badlands 99% of the time. And being not fetchable is not an issue at all when you want to cut on fetchlands anyway.
    I know that Auntie's Hovel is NOT agood option for a 3- or 4- colored list, but I also know that I'm playing the same Rb list for a straight 10 months now and I never wish it was a Mountain or a Fetchland.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Hi everyone, went 3-1 yesterday with the following list

4 Aether Vial
    4 Goblin Lackey
    1 Skirk Prospector
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Goblin Piledriver
    3 Goblin Chieftain
    2 Goblin Warchieft
    4 Goblin Matron
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    2 Tarfire
    4 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Warren Weirding

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Badlands
    4 Snow-Covered Mountain
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

R1 Merfolk brew 1-2
    He played an interesting list with Triton Shorestalkers and Curiosities.

R2 Junk 2-0
    My opponent had some mana issues after having wastelanded me G1. G2 He played an Enlightened Tutor for Engineered Plague, but didn't find his third mana source in time. He did play a DRS though, but I had the removal for it.

R3 Oops, all spells 2-1
    I raced him G1 but never got there. G2 I played a Thoughtseize taking his Balustrade Spy.
    G3 He probed me and saw chalice, so he played out 2 lotus petals and a chrome mox and passed. I played a Goblin Lackey and a Chalice for zero. I'm still not sure if playing chalice there was correct or not. I didn't want to play it on one because I hade 2 more onedrops in hand (lackey and skirk prospector), but had I been able to put it on three or four (not too unlikely, as i had 2 lackey + prospector) I could have stopped one or all of his wincons.

R4 Dredge 2-1
    G1 My opponent mulled to four and never did much. G2 I had a great hand but my opponent managed to put Elesh into play two, along with some zombies, the turn before I would have been able to stabilize with relic. G3 I thoughtseized a Firestorm and my opponent Cabal Therapied himself for a Troll. At one point I played a Matron for Sharpshooter, and put it into play with lackey, meaning it would be very hard for him to win if it got active. I think this was the right deciscion. I got Relic into play and Wastelanded him off of his last land, with a Pyrokinesis as backup in hand, and slowly beat him down with a couple of 1/1s.

I was looking forward to testing thoughtseize and so far I like it. It was good in both of the combo matchups, and it would have been good versus the Engineered Plague too. I look forward to trying it out some more, to see what it can do versus fair decks, as well as along with cabal therapy versus the unfair ones. Any suggestions on tweaks or better plays are much appreciated as always. :)
    Last edited by Sandro95; 06-17-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro95 View Post
    I was looking forward to testing thoughtseize and so far I like it. It was good in both of the combo matchups, and it would have been good versus the Engineered Plague too. I look forward to trying it out some more, to see what it can do versus fair decks, as well as along with cabal therapy versus the unfair ones. Any suggestions on tweaks or better plays are much appreciated as always. :)
    I find that there are matchups I should board in my Cabal Therapy, as a 2 of or so, and I fail to do so simply to not having room. It is noticeable against decks Stoneblade decks of any kind, but I can never find the room. Maybe I'm under-valuing it.. or possibly over-valuing it as I want to bring it in a lot. When do you guys board it in; Specifically in fair match-ups?

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    I find that there are matchups I should board in my Cabal Therapy, as a 2 of or so, and I fail to do so simply to not having room. It is noticeable against decks Stoneblade decks of any kind, but I can never find the room. Maybe I'm under-valuing it.. or possibly over-valuing it as I want to bring it in a lot. When do you guys board it in; Specifically in fair match-ups?
    In which fair matchups do we really want to bring in cabal therapy?I think our over-run method works just fine along with krenko. I 've been thinking about goblins alot lately and find that the mana cost of the deck is simply too high and a hand with three and four drops simply sucks. I've mulliganed to death with this deck often having piley as my lowest mana playable in my hand after going to five. Until goblins gets something cheaper I cant see it really being competitive at the current speed of the format.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

That is one of the reasons I wanted to try a split with Thoughtseize. Cabal Therapy usually doesn't cut it in the fair matchups, but Thoughtseize seems more reliable here, being able to take a TNN, an Engineereed Plague or a Batterskull for example. I have tried boarding in Cabal therapy versus stoneforedecks before, but as you said, we often do not have enough room to make it worth doing so.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro95 View Post
    That is one of the reasons I wanted to try a split with Thoughtseize. Cabal Therapy usually doesn't cut it in the fair matchups, but Thoughtseize seems more reliable here, being able to take a True-Name Nemesis, an Engineereed Plague or a Batterskull for example. I have tried boarding in Cabal Therapy versus stoneforgedecks before, but as you said, we often do not have enough room to make it worth doing so.
    Remember, only name the things you lose to-- Don't just try to take cards. Try to take relevant cards. If they don't have it, that is great news, you aren't losing to it. Free hand information to boot.

To be clear, I only wanted Cabal Therapy to know if it is correct to cut some odd goblin for a couple of Cabal Therapy in more unusual match-ups.

Assuming the sideboard is 4 Cabal Therapy and no other cards, and just your standard stock goblin list with 2 main-board anti-artifact goblins, would you board in 2 against Miracles, 4; How about Stoneblade, Tezzerator, etc.

I'm just trying to ascertain how powerful it is in our build. I have been play testing it for a while, but I keep finding that when I want Cabal Therapy in a non-combo match-up, I convince myself to not "over-board," regardless if that is true or not. And since I really only can play once a week, I tend to stick to what I've done as it has had results versus the unknown.

I guess I'm saying I want to hear other opinions on it in fair match-ups because I can't seem to break my play-style mold. If I hear positive news, I'd be more willing to board it in.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Remember, only name the things you lose to-- Don't just try to take cards. Try to take relevant cards. If they don't have it, that is great news, you aren't losing to it. Free hand information to boot.

To be clear, I only wanted Cabal Therapy to know if it is correct to cut some odd goblin for a couple of Cabal Therapy in more unusual match-ups.

Assuming the sideboard is 4 Cabal Therapy and no other cards, and just your standard stock goblin list with 2 main-board anti-artifact goblins, would you board in 2 against Miracles, 4; How about Stoneblade, Tezzerator, etc.

I'm just trying to ascertain how powerful it is in our build. I have been play testing it for a while, but I keep finding that when I want Cabal Therapy in a non-combo match-up, I convince myself to not "over-board," regardless if that is true or not. And since I really only can play once a week, I tend to stick to what I've done as it has had results versus the unknown.

I guess I'm saying I want to hear other opinions on it in fair match-ups because I can't seem to break my play-style mold. If I hear positive news, I'd be more willing to board it in.
    I agree with generally naming what you lose to rather than naming what they are more likely to hold. The problem is that fair matchups in general don't have any one card that just beats us all the time.

I probably wouldn't board them in versus Miracles, at least not on the draw, as they play very well from the top of their deck. I have boarded it in versus Tezzeret to great success before, and would probably do so again. Of course, with Cabal Therapy, how good it is depends a lot on your knowledge of your opponent's deck and the matchup. Versus Stoneblade I'd consider it, because it is an answer to both TNN and equipments, which are arguably their best cards against us. I might board it in on the draw here, when Goblin Lackey doesn't do as much. Also, we generally have less dead cards here than versus Miracles, where some removal can be taken out. However, in reality we have more sideboard cards. For example, versus Stoneblade, I'd rather board in Pyrokinesis. Versus Miracles, I'd rather have Chalice of the Void, as the games can go very long, and it accumulates card advantage over time.

I'd reccomend some dedicated playtest games to see how effective it is in certain matchups, on the play and on the draw. That is something that I'd like to do anyway. I'm going to keep playing Thoughtseize, and I'll keep posting my results and thoughts on it here, to see how effective it is, and maybe that can tell us something about Cabal Therapy as well. :)

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Finally got an ok result in here. Wanted to switch from Purphoros, so got the base from a list I payed last year with a mix of GobboLords RB recent lists, and played this:

4 - Badlands
    2 - Aunties Hovel
    3 - Fetchlands
    4 - Cavern of Souls
    4 - Wasteland
    2 - Rishadan Port
    3 - Chrome Mox

4 - Aether Vial
    4 - Goblin Lackey
    4 - Goblin Matron
    4 - Goblin Ringleader

3 - Goblin Warchief
    3 - Goblin Chieftain
    3 - Warren Instigator
    3 - Goblin Piledriver

1 - Kiki-Jiki, Mirrorbreaker
    1 - Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 - Tuktuk Scrapper

1 - Gempalm Incinerator
    3 - Tarfire
    3 - Warren Weirdings

SB
    4 - CotV
    4 - Cabal Therapy
    2 - Pyrokinesis
    1 - Boartusk Liege
    2 - Earwig Squad
    2 - Sulfur Elemental - should have been Perish...

It was quite a long time since I felt so good playing goblins. The list is very solid.

M1 - Dredge
    G1 - Mulled slow hand. Managed to Matron and cast a Sharpshooter, that took care of Bridges (killing Matron), then killed all x/1 dudes, then blocked 2 of 5 zombies, and killed them all, leaving me with only Shooter. After the last Bridge was removed, he had no way to win.
    G2 - He is blazing fast.
    G3 - I play Lackey. He Careful Studies. I play CotV @1, and he is stuck just dredging normally. Eventually I get Shooter and end the game the same way the 1st.
    (4 CotV, 2 Kinesis, 2 Squad, 1 Liege for 4 Vials, 4 Ringleaders and Tuktuk)

M2 - Loam deck from BoM.
    G1 - I mull to 6 on the play to get Fetch, 2x Tarfire, Matron, 2x Chrome Mox. Would you keep this?
    I did. T1 Matron. Land from top. T2 Ringleader reveals 3. He plays Bob. T3 I Matron into Gempalm to kill it. He gets Relicary. I get Kiki. Manage to put enough pressure to win before Depths.
    G2 - Kept a bad 7 against him. 3 Lands, Weirdings, Instigator, dudes. Was to slow to win.
    G3 - Kept Lackey, Gator, Gator, Chieftain, Tarfire, 2xCaverns. He play Zenith for Arbor. Lackey trade I drop Gator. He play Ooze. I play Chieftain (off 3rd Cavern) and he chumps Gator. He P.Fire Gator. I drop another that gets Shooter. He plays Liliana, that kills and dies to Shooter. I have only Mox and Tarfire, with 4 Caverns. He play Pridemage. I rip Matron, and thats that.
    (1 Liege, 2 Squad for 1 Scrapper, 1 Shooter, 1 Piledriver)

M3 - Miracles
    G1 - Mulled, and kept 5 lands + Lackey on the draw. Lackey actually connects and don`t put anything in for 2 turns. He is stuck on 2 lands though, me with Port. Extremely interesting game. He FoW`s a Vial while I had 6 or 7 mana, which turned out to be right. He managed to get CB/Top, then a Jace, against my Shooter. I draw Tuktuk, which is cool because eats mana with him recasting Top. Next turn I play it again, so he flips top, then I try to Weirdings it, which would be lethal. But he has another FoW. Eventually I draw a Ringleader and win.
    Question - Would you keep 5 Lands (with Port and Caverns) + Lackey against Miracles?
    G2 - Piledriver T2 swings for 1, casually, just for me to play Earwig Squad T3! =D It resolves and takes away Batterskull, Entreat and Humility. So fucking good. Next turn he manages to Terminus. I play Chieftain. He jace. I Warchief. He Entreats for 2. I have some options, but decide to bait counter with Piledriver without Caverns, wich he FoWs, to play CotV@1. He swings, but I kill him 2 turns later with a mix of gooblins, fearing no removal.
    (4 CotV, 1 Liege, 2 Squad for 3 Weirdings, 3 Tarfire, 1 Shooter)

M4 - BUG midrange
    G1 - My start was pretty good. Manage to kill his Shaman and Goyf, then play Ringleader. Unfortunately it sucked. He kills 4 guys with Toxic Deluge and I get to 7 lands before he kills me.
    G2 - Awesome game aswell. Got Vial, he gets Visions. I Port. He gets Shaman. I Waste and Port. He just passes. I Vial in Piledriver. I attack for 1 against his Shaman. He takes it. 3 mana later, EARWIG SQUAD! He brainstorms twice, then it resolves. After some considerations, I find that if I remove 3 Goyfs, his deck becomes suddenly really bad against me. He had to trade the 4th one with Piledriver, and just couldn`t kill Squad. Good times.
    G3 - I didnt get to do much this time. Kept 3 Waste, Cavern, Lackey, Tarfire, Gator. Lackey met Decay, and Gator met Goyf. no Weirding this time. When his Visions was about to resolve I wasted his Waste, since protecting my manabase became more important than destroying his. Unfortunately, my table of 2x Gator + Warchief was worse than his of 3 Goyfs + Cascade dude. My Ringleader come to rescue me a couple of turns too late.
    (1 Liege, 2 Squad for 1 Shooter, 1 Tuktuk, 1 Piledriver. If had 2 Perish, all Piledrivers would be taken out. If he had TNN, then Instigator would be cut for Piledrivers)

Also, played 2 postboard games against AnT and won them. Deck is solid against combo.
    Probably will play the same thing when I can on the future. The weak part I thought about this list is being bad against P.Fire and of course, the manabase. But not have been an issue this time, even facing Wasteland decks and a P.Fire deck.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Congrats.

As for BUG not having Tarmogoyf we kind of already knew that without them their deck has a much harder time stopping us, it's why we bring in, if available, grave hate. How is Warren Weirding doing for you? I find that it is just barely playing on par with what we need, but it's close. Is it merely just "performing" for you as well?

As for your hand, would I keep Fetch, 2x Tarfire, Goblin Matron, 2x Chrome Mox on the play game 1?
    Depends if I knew what my opponent is on. If I knew he couldn't just Force of Will my Goblin Matron or Thoughtseize my Goblin Ringleader then I'm down. I'll give you that it has a clear-ish game plan where as Mulliganing to 5 does not, but personally I feel better on 5. Did you know your opponent was playing Niklas Kronberger's list before you shuffled up, or did you just risk it?

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

I knew what he was playing. Agaist fow or discard decks id snap mull that hand. Still, 1 waste and I would probably lose. Quite a gamble...

I really liked weirdings. They are ok on their on to good, but are excelent if you have a 2nd one or a Tarfire to help clear the boar. Ill definitely try this config again next time.

Enviado de meu GT-S6313T usando Tapatalk

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

There was a Modern GP in my home town of Minneapolis last weekend. I haven't played much Magic recently so I thought hitting up one of the Legacy side events would be a sweet idea. I PM'd GoboLord and asked for some insight into the current meta, and he essentially told me that Tarfire, Chieftain, Piledriver and Chalice are all awesome cards now, so I used that as my starting point and put the following list together.

4 Vial
    4 Lackey
    3 Tarfire

4 Piledriver
    2 Tin Street Hooligan
    1 Tinkerer
    2 Gempalm
    2 Stingscourger
    1 Warren Instigator

4 Chieftain
    1 Warchief
    4 Matron

4 Ringleader
    2 Krenko

2 Chrome Mox
    4 Wasteland
    4 Cavern
    5 Fetches
    2 Plateau
    1 karakas
    3 Taiga
    1 Mountain

SB
    4 RiP
    4 Chalice
    4 Spirit of the LAbyrinth
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Chrome Mox

Card choices:
    TSH and Tinkerer and Tuktuk and Grudge: I was not going to lose to equipment.
    Spirit of the Labyrinth: I was looking through the top16 decklists from the past few StarCity games events and noticed that Brainstorm and Ponder were everywhere, and so was Grisselbrand and Elves. Storm combo was almost non-existent, so I figured SotL would have more juice than Thalia. Decks like Dredge have card draw engines as well that Spirit interferes with. Also, I really just wanted to play it.
    RiP: It's the most powerful GY hate there is. Resolve it against Dredge, Reanimator, RUG Delver, Shardless BUG, Lands, and some combo decks, and you'll probably win. The obvious problem though is you can screw yourself on mana by exposing yourself to wasteland, and it is also very slow.

40 PLayers signed up for the side event. From the locals I recognized I knew there would be Lands and Combo. And there was.

R1 Show and Tell
    G1 I was on the play. My opponent was newer to the format. He was playing with Shock lands (Gasp!) and I had no idea what the hell he was trying to do until he cast Show and Tell into my Stingscourger and I won.
    I sided in Spirit of the Labyrinth to nullify Griz.
    G2 I was ticking up Vials and being awesome. I had 2 Vials and ticked them up to 3 and 4, respectively. I overextended and my opponent wiped my board, then used Sneak Attack to cheat in Emrakul. I had Stingscourger in hand, and I had I not gotten greedy and left 1 Vial @2 I could have won this game. Instead I got spagettied.
    G3 was all me. He pyro'd my board away, but I had a Vial @2 at all times with Stingscourger and Spirit in hand to shut him down any way he went. W

R2 TES
    G1 I was on the draw and got T0'd.
    I sided in Spirit, Chalice, and Chrome Mox.
    G2 I mulled to 5 on the play. My hand was Lackey, Lackey, Krenko, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Chalice of the Void. I kept. I played Chalice @ 0 and passed. My opponent Duressed me and obviously got nothing. A turn or two later I started drawing lands and soon I won the game. He has a hand full of 0 cc cards and Chalice completely locked him out.
    G3 Once again, my opponent Duressed me T1. He took my Chalice. So I just ripped one of the top of the deck like a champ, dropped a Waste and a Chrome Mox, and cast Calice @ 1 T1. My opponent had a grip full of 1-drops and couldn't get anything going the rest of the game. W

I started off 2-0 against combo decks, despite leaving THalia at home. I felt pretty pleased about that.

R3 RUB Delver/Young Pyromancer
    G1 I was on the draw and mulled to 6. T2 I double-Wasted both of his Duals, and he never recovered while I built my board. It is strange how many games of magic are won or lost based on Can You Beat Double Wasteland.
    G2 was a lot more fun. My opening hand had Instigator, Chieftain, Warchief, Chrome Mox, Cavern, and lands. Thought it had no removal or CA figured I still had a chance to win based off of the strength of a T1 uncounterable Instigator and a T2 uncounterable Chieftain. We played a Delver and it flipped immediately, so we were both racing. I dropped a Spirit of the Labyrinth which kept him from stacking his deck to force his 2nd Delver to flip. I won a close race with this one. W

R4 Lands w Punishing Fire
    G1 I had nothing for him. I had a slow Vial start and he had the Abrupt Decay for it and the Punishing Fire for my T3 Lackey. The game was going nowhere fast so I scooped. I sided in RiP to turn off his Loam engine and make him play more fair.
    G2 I mulled to 5 and kept a hand with RiP but no white mana. It was a truly miserable game as I could not draw anything that would be at all relevant all game. L

R5 Spanish Inquisition
    G1 I got T1'd on the play.
    G2 I kept a hand with Lackey and RiP. I got T1'd again. I could have tried mulling to a Chalice, but my opening 7 had my fasted start (Lackey) and disruption T2, so I just hoped he wouldn't T1 me. Whoops. L

R6 RUG Delver
    G1 I drew 3 Cavern of Souls which basically shut off his interactivity except for Bolt. After that I drew out a bolt with Instigator, then I dropped Krenko and he had no answer.
    G2 I have no recollection. I lost though.
    G3 He played a Delver and it flipped. I played a RiP, but it didn't matter, since I was mana screwed, couldn't draw anything to deal with Delver and that lone Delver just beat me to death. Ugh. L

So I won my first 3 and scrubbed out my last 3. A couple things factored into my losses. First, my manabase sucked. It was super inconsistent R4 and R6, which made it impossible for me to mount an offense. Secondly, card like RiP and SotL, while fun, were entirely too slow, and being off-color was a real liability. Third, were I to do it again, I'd either try to build a mono R deck or a Rb list like Scatman and Gobolord have been posting. Earwig squad is still awesome. Still, I think simpler is probably better now. Consistency was a real issue for me with the manabase, and I had duals and fetches aplenty. Maybe running Rx rather than Rxy is enough to smooth it out.

Ultimately, I went to the tournament loaded for Bear, ready to beat equipment. Instead, I faced combo and Lands. Had I simplified the manabase I could have improved my odds. Rw would have done just fine.

Anywho, that's all I've got. I still had fun and I'll be playing again. I hear SCG is coming back to Minneapolis in September. I'm going to be ready for it.

Thread Information