Page 388 of 509 FirstFirst ... 288338378384385386387388389390391392398438488 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,760 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Jan 2014
    STL

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by 203995014 View Post
    Hello goblin players, I'm helping my friend make a goblin deck to play competitively in legacy and we're using the mainboard of a Monored WInstigator list that GoboLord posted earlier but am not really sure what to do about the sideboard. For reference here is the current decklist:

Artifact:
    4 AEther Vial
    3 Chrome Mox

Creature:
    1 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Goblin Warchief
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    4 Warren Instigator

Instant:
    4 Tarfire

Land:
    4 Cavern of Souls
    12 Mountain
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    4 Thorn of Amythest
    1 Boartusk Liege
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Sulfuric Vortex
    1 Dismember

We're trying to make a sideboard for a blind meta rather than board for a specific meta. Are 4 thorns and 4 chalice good enough against combo? How concerned should you be about the combo matchup? Any other criticisms about the sideboard?

(I know goblins isn't exactly the best deck choice at the moment but goblins are fun as shit to play)

I would use:

4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Pyrokenesis
    2x Pyroblast
    1x Goblin Sharpshooter
    1x Tuktuk Scrapper
    3x Grafdigger's Cage

It's been doing well for me when I go into an unknown meta.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I'm surprised anyone still plays Sharpshooter. Everything is X/2+ in the format.

Oct 2012
    Italy

https://38.media.tumblr.com/aab4aa80...29lyo8_250.jpg

from this image looks like there will be goblins in khans of tarkir . I'm just happy we won't have another block without any goblin .... although it looks like a rather strange gob with red hair XD

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    https://38.media.tumblr.com/aab4aa80...29lyo8_250.jpg

from this image looks like there will be goblins in khans of tarkir . I'm just happy we won't have another block without any goblin .... although it looks like a rather strange gob with red hair XD
    That could easily be an Orc though - a creature type confirmed to appear in KoT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Yeah, that's a picture.....

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Yeah, that's a picture.....
    First thing I thought of when I saw that picture:

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by mrblueduck View Post
    First thing I thought of when I saw that picture:

This changes everything. DTB - Here we come!

Oct 2012
    Italy

Well, i took the link from mtgsalvation... it was spoiled alongside 3 cards and some other arts from tarkir/the new commander decks. I think it is safe to say it is from tarkir, and it definitely looks like a goblin to me... let's just wait to see how many crappy goblins there will be :)

May 2013
    Germany

While it's unclear if the pictured creature is indeed a goblin, Doug Beyer confirmed goblins for Tarkir both during SDCC and on tumblr.

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

confirmed goblin, watch it Cost as if our manabase isn't poo enough.

Oct 2012
    Italy

I think you are talking about Zurgo Helmsmasher which is not a goblin but an Orc Warrior . He is the khan of the Mardu clan (RWB wedge) , that will probably feature the most goblins since it is the red-centered clan. Hopefully not all creatures are tricolored.

I think it's fairly obvious what cards I should be boarding in against certain decks but what cards should I be boarding out in WInstigator? Sometimes the cards to board out are obvious such as Tarfire against Combo, Tuktuk Scrapper against Shardless BUG, etc. but in the cases where it's not obvious what kind of cards should I be boarding out? Or should I just not be boarding if there doesn't seem to be a good card to board out? My list is the same as seen above on the top except I subbed out Thorns for 2 Pyroblast and 2 Pyrokinesis. Sorry if the answer is really obvious.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by 203995014 View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious what cards I should be boarding in against certain decks but what cards should I be boarding out in WInstigator? Sometimes the cards to board out are obvious such as Tarfire against Combo, Tuktuk Scrapper against Shardless BUG, etc. but in the cases where it's not obvious what kind of cards should I be boarding out? Or should I just not be boarding if there doesn't seem to be a good card to board out? My list is the same as seen above on the top except I subbed out Thorns for 2 Pyroblast and 2 Pyrokinesis. Sorry if the answer is really obvious.
    Thats a tricky one indeed.
    Cards you could consider to board out are:

* Stingscourger: when your opponent doesn't have creatures you can't kill with Tarfire, AND/OR when he has creatures with with CIP abilities. However both is the case in D&T and I tend to leave this guy in the MD in this MU. In your list in particular he comboes nicely with Kiki-Jiki.

* Kiki-Jiki or Krenko: in some MU you can be short on mana and/or your opponent has a shitload of removal spells. In those MU you want to be working mostly with cmc 2 and 3 spells. I would rarely board out BOTH of your "fatties" though.

* 1 Warren Instigator: you can shave one copy after G1 when you think you wont be able to push it past your opponents defense reliably AND/OR when you board a lot of non-goblin spells.

* 1-2 Goblin Piledriver: against non-blue, creature-dense decks.

In general you should try not to board more than 4 cards against nopn-combo decks because WInstgator lists are even more dependent on a high creature-count than other versions of the deck.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Tournament Report:

30 players, 5 rounds + top 8.
    I scored 3-2 and ended up 8th after swiss, then lost in the quarterfinals.

MANA (23)
    11 Unhinged-Mountain
    3 Portal-Mountain
    4 Caverns
    3 Wasteland
    2 Pendelhaven

4-OFFs (32)
    Vial
    Lackey
    WInstigator
    Piledriver
    Chieftain
    Matron
    Ringleader
    Tarfire

OTHERs (5)
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Sideboard (15)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Sulfuric Vortex
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Boartusk Liege

Round 1: René with D&T/White Weenie (2-1)
    G1: Took mulligan to 5 with 0 lands, but decided to keep that hand because I had Lackey, Tarfire and Pyrokinesis. I lost the game after approximately 25 minutes.

-1 Piledriver, +1 Tuktuk Scrapper

G2: I combo him out with Kiji-Jiki.

G3: (5 minutes left). I build a critical board really quickly. Then I make a horrible mistake: I have Chieftain, Matron and Kiki-Jiki (untapped) in play. On his turn my opponent equipped his Mother of Runes with Sword of Fire and Ice, attacked me and the shock-damage of his equipment targeted my Goblin Chieftain. I let the damage resolve and put Chieftain into my graveyard. (fail: I could have copied Chieftain with KJ in response). IUnstead I copied Matron at EOT, fetched a Tuktuk Scrapper and destroyed his Sword on my turn. Short thereafter extraturns were announced. On the 4th extra-turn he seemd to bring this game into a draw, when he fetched, played and equiped Umezawa's Jitte to his SFM. I, however, topdecked Tuktuk Scrapper#2 on my 5th extraturn and bashed him.

Round 2: Matthias with BUGW SFM-Thopter-Foundry-Sword-of-The-Meek.dec (2-0)
    He has a pretty slow start and also makes an ugly misplay: On his turn 4 he casts Liliana of the Veil, removes 2 counter to destroy my only creatures. On my turn I play a 4th land and cast Ringleader (out of four mountains). He lets it resolves, and then realizes his mistake as he forgot/didn't know Ringleader had hast. He revealed his Force of Will + Thopter Foundry and conceded shortly after.

-1 Stingscourger, -2 Winstigator, +2 Pithing Needle, +1 Tuktuk Scrapper

Although he has Engineered Plague and his Thopter-Combo online pretty early, I overwhelm him with Tuktuk Scrapper, Chieftain and Piledriver.

Round 3: Tobias with UWr Miracles (2-0)
    G1: I win pretty fast with a flurry of Ringleaders and KJ.

- 4 Tarfire, -2 Pyrokinesis, +1 Tuktuk Scrapper, +2 Pithing Needle, +3 Sulfuric Vortex

G2: This one takes a little longer, but I ultimately get there.

Round 4: Niklas with UWr Miracles (0-2)
    G1: At 6 life he pumps out a very huge Entreat the Angels (5 tokens, 4 of which survive my attack). On turn later I can only attack him for 5 damage. He somehow thinks that I am attacking for lethal and scoops. I tell him that I don't deel enough damage and that he wins on his next turn and that is that.

- 4 Tarfire, -2 Pyrokinesis, +1 Tuktuk Scrapper, +2 Pithing Needle, +3 Sulfuric Vortex

G2: I take mulligan to 5, with 2 Vials and 2 non-Red lands (Pendelhaven and Wasteland). He gains control of the match when he uses Enigineered Explosives to destroy my Vials.

Round 5: Florian with D&T (1-2)
    G1: I win a very close game by combing out with Kiki-Jiki, just one turn before he would kill me.

-3 Piledriver, +1 Tuktuk Scrapper

G2: He plays 2 Revoker naming Aether VIal. I concede the game on turn 6 with 2 Ringleader, 1 Tuktuk Scrapper, 2 Matron, 2 Cieftain in hand and Vial @ 3 and 2 lands in play.

G3: I have a quick start, but ultimatly die to manadenial paired with double-revoker @ Vial.

Top 8: Florian again with D&T (1-2)
    G1: double revoker + manadenial....

G2: he misplays and I combo out with KJ + Ringleader

G3: double-revoker + manadenial ( I end the game with 2 Scrapper in hand)

Conclusions
    * I had to play without Chrome Mox because a friend need to borrow them from me. I was a nice opportunity to test what I discussed with mrblueduck lately. So I replaced 3 Chrome Moxen with Portal-Mountains and took notes about whether they were better than Chrome Moxen whenever I drew them. My prelimanary conclusion is that the WInstigator lists are playable without Chrome Mox, especially if that means that you can play Pyrokinesis in MD without regrets. In the event yesterday I sometimes missed them, but most of the time it didn't matter if the card I drew was a mountain or a Chrome Mox.

* Pyrokinesis was good. However, I think that, in order to improve the D&T MU, a 1-off Sharpshooter is better though. I need to test this configuration more.

* I talked to Wucherkater about Pyrokinesis and Chrome Mox in WInstigator builds and he suggested a 2-2 "split", which sounds reasonable to me.

* Pendelhavens were absolutely great. It "countered" Sword f Fire and Ice's triggers and took down an Angel-token (with Winstigator), which is already a pretty impressive performance. I will stick to them.

* I am a pretty disappointed that I lost to Miracles, which ruined my flawless record of almost three undefeated years against this deck.

* For the upcoming event I will try to squeze in another Sharpshooter and another TuktukScrapper/TinStreet Hooligan in the deck in order to improve the D&T MU. Probaly I'mover-reacting because I lost those two last rounds, but then again, I can try to adjust the deck without making it worse against other non-D&T MUs.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

For those that may be looking for sideboard suggestions I took all the suggestions listed in the primer and created a mono R version that attempts to cover as much ground as possible for an unknown meta. It turned out as:

3x Pithing Needle
    3x Relic of Progenitus
    3x Chalice of the Void
    3x Mindbreak Trap
    3x Phyrexian Revoker

Which gives you a minimum of 6 cards you're able to board against all the decks listed aside from BUG Delver and Shardless BUG which only had 3 (color splashing should allow for the full 6 of each but again this is mono R).

A little background on why I'm using this sideboard: I made the deck mostly to duel against friends who don't play magic often or at all as aggro is typically easier for beginners to learn the basics, as well as to possibly lend to a friend for their first tournament. Who should use this board? Anyone looking for a rough list but doesn't know where to start and is able to rework to fit their meta and landbase.

Note: I hope no hardcore goblin pilots took offense to any of the above, I simply don't have the resources to invest deeply into this specific deck but welcome your suggestions on possible modifications to the above list.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Bot View Post
    For those that may be looking for sideboard suggestions I took all the suggestions listed in the primer and created a mono R version that attempts to cover as much ground as possible for an unknown meta. It turned out as:

3x Pithing Needle
    3x Relic of Progenitus
    3x Chalice of the Void
    3x Mindbreak Trap
    3x Phyrexian Revoker

Which gives you a minimum of 6 cards you're able to board against all the decks listed aside from BUG Delver and Shardless BUG which only had 3 (color splashing should allow for the full 6 of each but again this is mono R).

A little background on why I'm using this sideboard: I made the deck mostly to duel against friends who don't play magic often or at all as aggro is typically easier for beginners to learn the basics, as well as to possibly lend to a friend for their first tournament. Who should use this board? Anyone looking for a rough list but doesn't know where to start and is able to rework to fit their meta and landbase.

Note: I hope no hardcore goblin pilots took offense to any of the above, I simply don't have the resources to invest deeply into this specific deck but welcome your suggestions on possible modifications to the above list.
    For the most generic of SB in mono red I'd probably be happier with Eidolon of the Great Revel over Chalice of the Void. Simply put, a newer player should probably just be "getting there" instead of messing around with locking your opponent out. Maybe that's just my opinion. In addition you don't need X cards per match-up, some match-ups are in our favor already and don't need that type of symmetry. Miracles is a good example, I could probably go into the Miracles match-up game 2 without boarding whatsoever in any build of goblins and still feel favored to win it.

I suggest something more like the following.

3x Eidolon of the Great Revel
    3x Relic of Progenitus
    2x Pyrokinesis
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Mindbreak Trap
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Stingscourger

I do really like Chalice of the Void but it requires a different type of board, (and arguably maindeck). And if it is for a new player it is slightly harder to board with as it requires you to know when it's OK to take out Aether Vial. I mean I know, but I can see how it might confuse a new player.

Long story short though, this might all be moot as each list is very different. I made this on the assumption of a classic Mono (R) build. Lists that include Chrome Mox want Chalice of the Void much more as you can just jam it on turn 1 for free wins.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Aug 2014
    Iowa

Hello all, this is my first post on the site but I have been monitoring the thoughts and ideas for some time now. I have a tournament report from the local shop(12 people) and a deck list that I would like to share.

Vial 4
    Lackey 4
    Chieftain 4
    Ringleader 4
    Matron 4
    Tarfire 4
    Instigator 4
    Piledriver 4
    Siege-gang 1
    Krenko 1
    Kiki-jiki 1
    Stingscourger 2
    Tuktuk 1
    (38)

Carvern 4
    Chrome Mox 3
    Auntie's Hovel 4
    Snow-Covered Mountain 11
    (22)

Board:
    Earwig Squad 4
    Chalice of the Void 4
    Boartusk Liege 1
    Relic of Progenitus 2
    Sharpshooter 1
    Stingscourger 1
    Pithing Needle 2

Round 1: Burn
    Win the die roll, kept a greedy hand with lackey and a siege-gang. My opponent followed my lackey with a vexing devil (which I took the damage)and I was able to trigger in the siege-gang and win from there. Game two -4 vial -4 tarfire +4 chalice + earwig squad. Got a lackey to trigger on turn 2 and chalice at 1 and won shortly after.

Round 2: BUG delver
    I lost the die roll, but my opponent mulligans to 5. I tarfire an early delver and mange to swing around his goif and nimble mongoose with pumped up instigators from chieftain and was able to overwhelm. Game 2 -4 vial -4 tarfire +4 chalice +4 earwig squad. This game was similar to the game 1 but I got greedy. With board state in hand I cast and wiffed on a ringleader except for a lone stingscourger (which came in handy) but with my opponent low on life he found a rough/tumble and wiped my board, but was able find a few more goblins and swing for the win.

Round 3: BWU stoneblade
    Won the dice roll, I dont remember much from this match except a few early lackey and instigator triggers won me both games rather abruptly. No sideboard

Semi-Finals: Stoneblade
    I win the dice roll, kept a pretty good hand. Was able to tarfire his DRS to get an early lackey trigger and went on to win the first game. Game two he managed to get a jitte and batterskull attached to his TNN and I lose. Game 3 was able to keep his batterskull out of play until i had an answer for it with an early tarfire on SFM and overwhelm him.
    no sideboard

Finals: Merfolk (fish fry)
    Cant say I was disappointed to see this matchup. In game 1 i had my vial forced and instigator dazed on turn 2 but got a piledriver and gas into play the next few turns to swing for lethal. Game 2 I didnt have a cavern and got a few things countered. His version of merfolk runs a set of lightning bolts and he was able to bolt a piledriver and kill me with his true-name. Game 3 I lead with lackey, tarfire the trickster, drop a piledriver and grind out the win with a chieftain to follow. No sideboard

So I won my local legacy event today and am pretty happy about it. First prize got a scalding tarn so I can't complain there. I would also like to point out that I am skewing the statistics because I have played other events not posted the results lol

MVP's today go to tarfire, stingscourger, and chieftain because of the multiple times they helped me get a lackey/instigator trigger and swing through my opponents blockers
    Last edited by LittleGreenGuys; 08-17-2014 at 09:58 PM.

What is a portal mountain. .?

Apr 2010
    Germany

A mountain of the 'Portal' edition.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGreenGuys View Post
    Hello all, this is my first post on the site but I have been monitoring the thoughts and ideas for some time now. I have a tournament report from the local shop(12 people) and a deck list that I would like to share.

Vial 4
    Lackey 4
    Chieftain 4
    Ringleader 4
    Matron 4
    Tarfire 4
    Instigator 4
    Piledriver 4
    Siege-gang 1
    Krenko 1
    Kiki-jiki 1
    Stingscourger 2
    Tuktuk 1
    (38)

Carvern 4
    Chrome Mox 3
    Auntie's Hovel 4
    Snow-Covered Mountain 11
    (22)

Board:
    Earwig Squad 4
    Chalice of the Void 4
    Boartusk Liege 1
    Relic of Progenitus 2
    Sharpshooter 1
    Stingscourger 1
    Pithing Needle 2

(..)
    Congrats and welcome! One question: why Auntie's Hovel? Did you draw them consistently?

Thread Information