Page 407 of 509 FirstFirst ... 307357397403404405406407408409410411417457507 ... LastLast
Results 8,121 to 8,140 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Re: [Deck] Goblins

On Jeskai Stoneblade.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't want Thalia, Guardian of Thraben against Jeskai Stoneblade. Despite her effect appearing to have tons of mileage in this match-up it is so grindy that boarding in spot removal ends up just being far stronger. That said she is a fine tier 2 pick. Think back to RUG Delver. Removal and Grave hate were just stronger. I have strongly mixed feelings on Pyrokinesis in the match-up because, as I said, the match up is grindy and the card disadvantage doesn't appear to be what I want-- But answering both Stoneforge Mystic and Young Pyromancer with friends early is good. Sudden Shock is good here. Having that "it works" feature has been a blessing. As always Goblin Ringleader is king in this match-up. You don't want more than 2 shatter effects that aren't goblins as their creature suite requires diverse answers. They board in Containment Priest against us, so just be aware of it, that 2/2 with flash is AS relevant as turning off Aether Vial. They have a far better draw and card selection engine than us, so only pick battles you can win. I found Rishadan Ports very good in this match-up as their actual threats cost 2 mana. If they are playing a Deathrite Shaman build this obviously goes out the window.

Other notes that are less organized.
    I didn't have time to test Chalice of the Void but it looks bonkers. I have some issues with boarding in Chalice of the Void because that can shut out my own cards depending on build. Tarfire and Aether Vial come to mind.
    I didn't have time to test the black splash at all.
    Wasteland the white sources.
    Goblin Sharpshooter is very good here. Don't let it get forced.
    I never bothered testing Grave Hate of any kind here. Maybe it warrants trying out 2 Relic of Progenitus for those Treasure Cruiseses but I'm inclined to believe otherwise.

Lastly, I still loath .

TL:DR - Keep that Goblin Count high and focus on non-disadvantageous removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Massage Parlor View Post
    Have any of you yet run into Jeskai Ascendancy/Fatestitcher? I've been seeing a lot of this on MODO for the past several days and having a hell of a time dealing with it. Any thoughts?
    I would assume, like any fast combo, it's a bad match-up. Hope to dodge it, and run Thalia, Guardian of Thraben / Thorn of Amethyst. Just treat it like storm with more intractable pieces in mana dorks. Then again, I haven't played against it.

Quote Originally Posted by OlegtheSuper View Post
    Scatmax, what do i have to sb-out vs infect?
    This information might be too late, and I'm not ScatmanX, but using your list from the previous page and knowing 2 Umezawa's Jitte are in the board.

On the play:
    +3 Swan Song
    +1 Flusterstorm
    +2 Magus of the Moon OR Umezawa's Jitte.
    -2 Ringleader
    -1 Tin
    -1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    -1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

On the draw:
    +3 Swan Song
    +1 Flusterstorm
    -1 Ringleader
    -1 Tin
    -1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    -1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

They have a hard time beating an active Jitte, like any creature deck, but it is slower than them. There is a good chance Magus of the Moon has relevant text sooner. Blanking their scariest card-- Inkmoth Nexus, in addition to doing damage to Crop Rotation and Pendelhaven.

Swan Song is terrifying in this match-up. They can really take advantage of a 2/2 flyer, and turn into an actual tempo deck instead of a false tempo deck. That said, Umezawa's Jitte might be better, as a way to stabilize post rush if the game goes that way.
    Last edited by Olaf Forkbeard; 12-06-2014 at 06:17 PM.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by OlegtheSuper View Post
    Scatmax, what do i have to sb-out vs infect?
    In your list Id bring in 2xJitte, 2x Magus and 2xPyro/ReB, and cut Tuktuk, TSH and 4x Aether Vial.
    Infect is a combo deck in disguise. They're just too fast, what makes Vial a bad choice (like against other combo decks and burn), specially since you're not running Ports.
    Swan Songs and Fluster is not what you want to do against them though/ They just have too many pump spells AND counter for backup. So kill their dudes and their lands in your turn, and block the shit out of everything. Once Jitte gets online you won.

@Olaf: I agree with your analysis against UWR. Furthermore, don't even try Relic cuz your instinct is right: its not worth it.
    CotV is bonkers there. If you manage to land it on 1, they might not have answers for it, and it shuts down all their removal. Then you just land a Shooter and win the game. Still, yo don't want the whole 4. Imo 2 should be fine to do not dilute the deck too much.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    @version: if I were to play goblins today, would probably go with rb with 1-2 squads main and plagues on the side. That seems awesome now. Would also consider Frogtosser, but Jwr can probably speak better of it now than I can.
    Frogtosser has been good to me. It seems like we need a 2 drop to take the place of Piledriver, one that plays into our game plan of clogging the board. Since we don't have any 2 drops that give us CA we need a 2 drop that helps us get Gobbos into play. Your options there are Winstigator, MWM, or Frogtosser. Winstigator is color intensive and needs to connect to help get Gobbos on the field. MWM only gives you 1/1 tokens and is more defensive. But Frogtosser gives you the ability to put gobbos onto the field at a lower curve.

Quote Originally Posted by woodjt5 View Post
    @jrw1985 - Can you talk a little bit about Warren Weirding please? I've never played with the card and it seems very appealing currently. Every game I lost at SCG Richmond was to Jitte (Plus TNN) or Tendrils of Agony. Having an answer to TNN seems nice and it obviously has Show & Tell applications.
    Weirding has always been close to my heart. It is an incredibly flexible card. It is, at worst, a 1-for-1, which means it's a winner in any grindy MU. It is an answer to SnT, Reanimator, Cloudpost, MUD, whatever, and with thoughtful play it is also a way to kill creatures with protection/shroud/big butts. It is also surprisingly not-dead against decks like Storm because you can always cast it on yourself to sac a Matron and get another 1/1, which in turn pumps your Piledriver or Chieftain or whatever. I've always run it as a 2-of in my removal suite.

Have any of you yet run into Jeskai Ascendancy/Fatestitcher? I've been seeing a lot of this on MODO for the past several days and having a hell of a time dealing with it. Any thoughts?
    Play legacy instead of modern? I'm being glib, but I feel like you're asking a Modern question in a Legacy forum. If you're really running into trouble in Legacy dailies against that deck just run a few Pyrokinesis to clear their board and sharpshooter to close the deal. Easy. If you're asking how to deal with it in the Modern format, well, ask a Modern forum.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Play legacy instead of modern? I'm being glib, but I feel like you're asking a Modern question in a Legacy forum. If you're really running into trouble in Legacy dailies against that deck just run a few Pyrokinesis to clear their board and sharpshooter to close the deal. Easy. If you're asking how to deal with it in the Modern format, well, ask a Modern forum.
    This is all I found on that.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    This is all I found on that.
    And also this on Reddit. So it's basically a Combo-Control deck. The Control part seems 'easy' enough to deal with, the combo part... Well, it looks like it makes huge critters, fast... Clear the board with Sharpshooter or 'Knesis should do the trick indeed.

(There is also a threat here, for those interested)
    Last edited by Chatto; 12-07-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Mar 2006
    Amsterdam

Hello all,

I've been away from Goblins for a long time and only played Legacy sporadically with some homebrew form of Angel Stompy. The metagame at the moment appeared very unfavorable for my brew and actually seems quite decent for Goblins at this particular moment. The moment I turned away from Goblins was when Abrupt Decay paired with Deathrite was all over the place and you simply could not rely on Vial or Lackey making any impact, so you end up playing underwhelming creatures for too much mana. Treasure Cruise plays poorly with DRS and Goyf, so Jeskai and UR Delver decks take the crown at the moment. I decided to tailor my Goblins deck to be able to fight SFM, Treasure Cruise, Delver of Secrets and Young Pyromancer, while having some game against TES and Reanimator. The other big decks seem to be Death and Taxes and Miracles, which are good matchups for a properly tweaked Goblins deck.

Please find the list I would play now below:
    // Lands
    5 [THS] Mountain (1)
    1 [ME4] Plateau
    1 [U] Taiga
    4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    4 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    2 [MM] Rishadan Port
    2 [LG] Karakas

// Creatures
    1 [PLC] Stingscourger
    4 [M12] Goblin Chieftain
    2 [SC] Siege-Gang Commander
    1 [GP] Tin Street Hooligan
    4 [AP] Goblin Ringleader
    4 [US] Goblin Lackey
    4 [TE] Mogg Fanatic
    4 [US] Goblin Matron
    4 [LE] Gempalm Incinerator
    2 [DKA] Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

// Spells
    2 [LRW] Tarfire
    4 [DS] AEther Vial
    1 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [LG] Karakas
    SB: 1 [GP] Tin Street Hooligan
    SB: 2 [DKA] Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 3 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 1 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
    SB: 1 [ST] Armageddon
    SB: 2 [R] Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 2 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 [AT] Pyrokinesis

You will notice I stacked the deck with a lot of conditional pseudo removal, which is something that appears to be advocated on this forum a lot too. Stingscourger, Tarfire and Gempalm are standard picks, but Mogg Fanatic has not seen much play after the stack rules had changed. He kills Young Pyro, Delver and Mom, stalls a turn against equipment, but the two most important features are enabling Gempalm and beating down in combination with Chieftain. Thalia and Karakas play well together and provide some game against the various combo decks in the format. The sideboard continues the global trend of eschewing the traditional 3 4-ofs and one 3-of, but allows to tweak the deck for a particular matchup. The one-ofs Armageddon and Burrenton Forge-Tender are there to provide inevetiability against Burn and Lands/Miracles respectively. Relic will often be sideboarded in and I think running any less than 4 between the 75 cards is foolish.

I would be curious to hear your opinions and will advocate Goblins to those looking to play a non-blue deck in the current metagame.
    Team R&D

You are being glib and I am asking about legacy. This deck is getting quite a lot of attention in other legacy communities - e.g.
    http://us.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/com...cendancy_deck/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/com..._i_just_40d_a/

If you haven't encountered it, with all due respect, I'm not particularly interested in your thoughts.

Nov 2014
    Geneva

Frogtosser has been good to me. It seems like we need a 2 drop to take the place of Piledriver, one that plays into our game plan of clogging the board. Since we don't have any 2 drops that give us CA we need a 2 drop that helps us get Gobbos into play. Your options there are Winstigator, MWM, or Frogtosser. Winstigator is color intensive and needs to connect to help get Gobbos on the field. MWM only gives you 1/1 tokens and is more defensive. But Frogtosser gives you the ability to put gobbos onto the field at a lower curve.
    Well, you need at least 1 Piledriver, and I personnally would go for 2-3, depends on meta. 4 is too much though, that's for sure. But if you want to find some nice 2 drops, and you are splashing black, which I assume to be true if you are playing the Frogtosser, I would totally rather go for MWM, because, it's CA, and because it works really well with Cabal Therapy, which you should really play if you are running a black-splash list.

Weirding has always been close to my heart. It is an incredibly flexible card. It is, at worst, a 1-for-1, which means it's a winner in any grindy MU. It is an answer to SnT, Reanimator, Cloudpost, MUD, whatever, and with thoughtful play it is also a way to kill creatures with protection/shroud/big butts. It is also surprisingly not-dead against decks like Storm because you can always cast it on yourself to sac a Matron and get another 1/1, which in turn pumps your Piledriver or Chieftain or whatever. I've always run it as a 2-of in my removal suite.
    Totally agree with that. It is also an nice answer to TNN, cost only B with Warchief, if you play Wort it can be gamebraker. Weirding x1 or x2 MD by itself could be a good reason to splash black imho.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Hello fellow Chieftains,

brought the follwing list to a tournament:

MANA [23]
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Wasteland
    2 Pendelhaven
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    13 Mountain

FOUR-OFFs [28]
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Tarfire
    4 Warren Instigator
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader

OTHERS [9]
    2 Goblin Piledriver
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    2 Pyrokinesis

Sideboard [15]
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Grafdigger’s Cage
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

Changes to the list since my last tournament:
    MAIN: -3 Chrome Mox, +4 Mountain, -1 Goblin Settler, -2 Goblin Piledriver, +2 Pyrokinesis
    SIDE: -1 Goblin Sharpshooter, + 1 Krenko, Mob Boss, -2 Pyroblast, +2 Umezawa's Jitte

No detailed report this time, just the score and some thoughts.

Round 1: Toby with ANT (2-1)
    Round 2: Matthias with UB Tezzerator (2-0)
    Round 3: Tobias with UWr Miracles (2-1)
    Round 4: Martin with Dark Depth Junk (2-0)

Thoughts
    * I added manasource #23 AND in the same breath exchanged Chrome Moxen for Mountains, which I believe increased the consitency of the deck. I need to keep track of that in the upcoming events, but for now I am very happy that the changes I made seem to have the intended effects.
    * When I initially cutted my #2 Goblin Settler for land #23 I wanted to make room for 2 Pyrokinesis. As you can see, I cut 2 Goblin Piledriver, which turned out to be the right choice (I am now more confident that this was correct, than I was yesterday night when Warren Instigator, Tarfire and Goblin Sharpshooter where open to discussion as well).
    * changes to the board: I included Krenko as SB option against D&T after I read [url=http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?19931-Deck-Goblins&p=849184&viewfull=1#post849184]woodtjt5's last tournament report[/i] and Umezawa's Jitte against UR Delver, Burn and several other 'brawly' MUs after reading torunament reports and discussions of the users on this thread that were playing this card. I'm pretty sure Kreko is a much better SB option than Sharpshooter #2, but I have absolutely no idea what to think about Jitte. Will be keeping that card in mind, though, as many of you guys seems to have positive experiences with it.

//EDIT:
    * MVPs were Ringleader, Settler and Pendelhaven
    * I didn't miss Chrome Moxen on that day
    * I want to recommend this configuration (Lackey/Winstigator + Pendelhaven, MD Pyrokinesis and Settler, 3Wastelands/0 Ports, 23 lands) to anyone who is struggling to score with more traditional versions of the deck.

Questions are, as always, appreciated.
    Last edited by GoboLord; 12-09-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

You are being glib and I am asking about legacy. This deck is getting quite a lot of attention in other legacy communities - e.g.
    http://us.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/com...cendancy_deck/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/com..._i_just_40d_a/

If you haven't encountered it, with all due respect, I'm not particularly interested in your thoughts.
    Brad Nelson just top-16'd in Portland. This is the first time I've seen this deck in action.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=77156

I like this one more than the two you linked to just because it runs more discard so it can get Fatestitcher in the bin more easily, and I don't think this deck really needs StP.

As far as how to play against it, here's the sideboard I'm currently running:

3 Ashen Rider
    3 Grafdiggers Cage
    3 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Tuktuk

3 Cage, 3 Chalice, and 4 Thorn would come in. Cage shuts off Fatestitcher. Chalice @ 1 counters 22 cards in their deck. Thorn ruins their gameplan. Otherwise, just running Waste + Port does a pretty good job of shutting down their manabase, and shutting off Red prevents them from casting their win cons. If they can't land a T3 Jeskai Ascendency they don't have much chance of winning against us, especially since they only have 4 Bolt, 4 Force to interact otherwise.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Report for a Win a Duel (Underground Sea)

Match Report
    Hello everyone, just throwing that tournament report down that I promised. Top 4 players in todays tournament get:

1) Underground Sea (Revised)
    2) Bayou (Revised)
    3) Badlands (Revised)
    4) Polluted Delta (Onslaught)
    5-8) Packs.

First and foremost, the list:

Mainboard
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Tin Street Hooligan
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Warchief
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    2 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Tarfire
    4 AEther Vial
    3 Mountain
    1 Taiga
    1 Plateau
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Pyrokinesis
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Confusion in the Ranks
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Sudden Shock
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Mindbreak Trap

Goblins: 33
    Lands: 23
    Removal: 6+1(Goblin Sharpshooter)

Matches
    16 man tournament, swiss, cut to top 8.

Round 1 - Pete with Nic Fit (BUG Pod)
    Me and Pete are good friends and play together all the time, so I know what he is on. Unfortunately we didn't actually want to be paired. Me because it's strongly in his favor, and him because he wanted extra chances to get at that first place Underground Sea because I'd be willing to get some stuff + a Bayou from him.

I lost the roll and looked at my opener and it was really bad. I jokingly brought up how if we drew game 1 we can get a gentlmen's mulligan. His hand must have been pretty bad too because he said he'd do it. I'll take it, it's a bad match-up. I end up mulliganing down to 6 and keeping a hand that had a clock and no Aether Vial. I got very, very lucky and top decked removal exactly when I needed it every other turn. I rammed my field through 2 Pernicious Deeds and 2 Murderous Redcaps, rebought with Eternal Witness, until he stopped moving.

+3 Relic of Progenitus
    +1 Ancient Grudge
    -4 Aether Vials

Aether Vial is bad in this match-up because it gets hit via splash damage off of Deed. The match-up is also a grind so I didn't bring in Pyrokinesis-- He doesn't actually fall over from a resolved Kinesis, he just rebuilds, usually very quickly.

He jammed a Vetern Explorer, joking about how it's a better Moat. I played a land and passed. He durdles with a Brainstorm and passed the turn. I played my Tarfire on Veteren Explorer at his end step intending to cast my Goblin Ringleader on turn 2, which I did. The game continues in this fashion for some time, with me chaining Ringleaders and him eventually deeding it away. It came down to the wire as this game was grinding out hard due to the extra sideboard deeds and Abrupt Decays but I took it with 30 seconds on the clock through a hard cast Grave Titan that never got to attack.. Great Game
    2-0-1 for 1-0-0 total

Round 2 - Eben with Dig Control
    I didn't know what he was on and also managed a nice 4 to his 5 on a couple of D6's. Going first doesn't matter anyway, right?

His early fetches, Islands, Plains and Tundra's made me put him on Miracles. My opener had a Mogg War Marshal, 2 Tarfires, and a Goblin Ringleader. I drew the Cavern of Souls shortly into the game, and got a viscous scowl out of him and a quick brainstorm the turn after I laid it. Must be counterspells in hand. After 2 Swords to Plowshares and a Path to Exile, and lots of Rishadan Porting he cast a Dig Through Time and some warning bells went off, he is probably not on Miracles, but whatever he's on it's a similar game plan and I was feeling confident. 4 more Swords to Plowsharess, via 2 Snapcaster Mages later and 2 more Dig Through Times he finally got what appeared to be 1 of his 2 win conditions down --Elspeth, Knight-Errant post Supreme Verdict. I assumed the other is Jace the Mind Sculptor as a probable 3 of. I shifted up a gear and dropped my hand and bashed for lethal as he was tapped out. I still like Goblin Piledrivers explosiveness.

20 Minutes on the clock.

+3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    -3 Tarfire
    I considered Sudden Shock, because it appeared he had 4 Snapcaster Mage, but decided that Goblin Matron's ability was more important.

2 Aether Vials got countered out of the gate and then we moved to grinding again. It was going solidly in my favor until a wild Baneslayer Angel appeared. He was at 7, dang. So once again I threw caution to the wind and dropped my hand on the board instead of playing conservatively, in the hopes of getting a high enough count for a Gempalm Incinerator. What ended up happening was him doing some math, attacking, bringing him up to 9 and me down to 7. On board I had an Aether Vial at 3, 1 land in hand, and could crack back with some tokens and a Goblin Ringleader for 4. I drew a Goblin Ringleader, played it off of a Cavern of Souls, revealing Goblin Warchief and Goblin Piledriver. I then presented lethal and he scooped.
    2-0-0 for 2-0-0 total

Round 3 - Jeremy with Dredge
    I know Jeremy and he could be on a wide variety of decks. I've seen him play Omnitell, Show and Tell, Hypergenesis, U/R Delver, and Dredge.

I lost another die roll and looked at my 7. Cavern of Souls, Scalding Tarn, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Pildriver, Mogg War Marshal, Goblin Warchief, Goblin Ringleader. Excellent.
    He pitched his hand immediately to a Lion's Eye Diamond and flashbacked a Faithless Lootting. I'm so happy my hand is good. I play my lackey and pass. His dredges go pretty deep, about 24 or so cards, but no Bridge from Below or Narcomoeba. I don't mind some luck. Goblin Lackey connects and puts in Goblin Warchief, crack fetch and cast Goblin Piledriver and Mogg War Marshal. I ship it. His turn involves about 12 dredges and wiffing. Better lucky than good right? I come in for a turn 3 kill.

I board in just about every card in my sideboard. This is not a great match-up and pretty much every goblin is irrelevant.
    +3 Pyrokinesis
    +3 Relic of Progenitus
    -4 Aether Vial
    -2 Goblin Ringleader
    -1 Gempalm Incinerator
    -1 Tarfire
    -1 Goblin Sharpshooter

I'm not going to lie I straight up forgot to board in the Stingscourger to fight Dread Return.

He simply Faithless Lootings and put's a Cabal Therapy and a Golgari-Grave Troll in the grave I cast a turn 1 Relic of Progenitus, tap it, exiling his therapy and pass. His dredges don't seem to end, but no zombies. Unfortunately it does result in an Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite being Dread Returned off of some Narcomoeba. I pop my relic and pass, as there were therapies in graveyard and I really didn't want to lose my Pyrokinesis, as a second one was my out. The following turn I cast a suicide matron and realize my Stingscourger isn't in. I grab another matron thinking that any amount of deck thinning is good then. He simply bashes for 5 turns for the win.

Game 3 I immediately board in my Stingscourger, removing another Tarfire. Promptly mulligan to a slow 4 with a Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, and essentially lose on turn 3 to a pile of zombies.

Perhaps I shouldn't be boarding Thalia, Guardian of Thraben in against Dredge?
    0-2-0 for 2-1-0 total

Round 4 - Isaac with Landstill
    I finally win a die roll and go first. I do not know what he is playing.

I keep a hand with several 2 drops and a Matron, play a fetch and pass. He lays a land and passes. I cast a Mogg War Marshal and pass. He plays a Mishra's Factory and a Standstill. He's probably on Landstill as it did well recently. The only other option is Merfolk. I'm happy about either of these match-ups but I have no experience in the former, just theory. I pay the echo and draw an Aether Vial for turn. He has 6 cards in hand, so I just jam the Aether Vial. Waiting seemed far worse. He draws his 3 and Aether Vial resolves. A second Standstill comes down and he discards 2 cards. One of his lands that turn was another Mishra's Factory. The game progesses like this for a while with me having Aether Vial on 3, a couple of Goblin Matron over the course of a few turns that each tutored up Gempalm Incinerator for his Mishra's Factorys. I didn't see a Wasteland or Rishadan Port that game. And I took it pretty easily.

+1 Sudden Shock
    +1 Ancient Grudge (for Mishra's Factory)
    -3 Mogg War Marshal
    -1 Goblin Piledriver
    -1 Siege-Gang Commander
    -1 Tarfire

Rinse and repeat, but with Wasteland and Rishadan Port. I didn't even see my boarded cards. This match-up is heavily in our favor.
    2-0-0 for 3-1-0 total

Round 5 - Nick with Elves
    We drew, 3-2 gets into the top. We played some games for practice.

He was on elves with mainboard Gitaxian Probes, and a very good player. His super secret sideboard tech, which he revealed to me because top 8 lists were available, was good ol' Blood Moon. He said half of his wins came from it today. I won half of our practice games.
    0-0-1 for 3-1-1 total

Round 6 - Andrew with U/R Delver
    Top 8 now, only need to beat his guy to get to one of the top 4 prizes. I took a look at his list and he had 2 Forked Bolt, 2 Grim Lavamancer and 2 Electrickery in his board. Rough.

I lose the die roll once again and we go at it. He drops a Delver of Secrets. I drop a land and pass, despite having a Aether Vial in hand to play around Daze. He runs 3 and I NEED it to win the game with this hand. Lot's of pile of 2 costs, and a Tarfire. Delver flips and a Monastery Swiftspear joins the assault. Gitaxian Probe and Ponder make it so I take 6 this turn. I tick the Vial and draw a Goblin Lackey. I waste his Volcanic Island and tarfire his Delver of Secrets. He lays another Volcanic Island and attacks for 1. No pro-active spells means re-active. Might be bolt, but it is more than likely a Force of Will or Daze. I flash in Goblin Lackey, draw a Wasteland for turn and use it on his Volcanic Island, and he loses from there, never finding another land. 16 lands is real low to the ground.

I feel really good about this match-up.
    +3 Pyrokinesis
    +1 Sudden Shock
    -2 Tin Street Hooligan
    -2 Tarfire
    Just upgrading some of the removal and adding a bit more.

Take the previous game, and repeat but with a Pyrokinesis in the middle of it.
    2-0-0 for 4-1-1 total

Round 7 - Jeremy with Dredge
    Literally read the Round 3 report, but I mulliganed to death again in 2 games, twice in game 1, 4 times in game 2. Turn 2 norn, and then turn 3 zombie horde in 2 games.

Literally hands I would not keep against ANY deck. The mull to 3 was probably the most controversial choice, my 4 was Rishadan Port, 2 Goblin Matron, and Goblin Ringleader. The argument being that mulliganing to 3 would be just as bad or worse. But I found 2 Goblin Lackey, Goblin Warchief. Sure I had to pass turn, but I topped a land the following turn. Then died.
    0-2-0 for 4-2-1 total

I walked away with a Badlands.

Scattered Thoughts

There were a couple of marginal mistakes I made through-out that could have done damage to me, but didn't. I need to play tighter. Also that sideboarding mistake against dredge. Blech.

I might not need Thalia, Guardian of Thraben against Dredge. Anyone got information on this? I've had success in the past, but not a ton of information.

Wasteland is well positioned right now. I still think Rishadan Port is very good as well.

Don't buy "spicy" brownies from the store.

Despite never drawing Sudden Shock I was happy to have it in my board. If you got the slots, it's not an all star, but it is very good against Young Pyromancer and Stoneforge Mystic.

The best card in our deck is still Goblin Ringleader.

I was going to play a Grafdigger's Cage in my board and ended up sticking with Mindbreak Trap. Based on what I saw, oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Hello all,
    I would be curious to hear your opinions and will advocate Goblins to those looking to play a non-blue deck in the current metagame.
    Rant Warning.

This might sound... head-strong, and is filled with generalizations for simplicities sake.

Magic players are sheeple and flock to what they can see. Few test out strategies that aren't "blue" because there is already so much research being done on what is blue.

If 75% of the room is trying to figure out how to make Treasure Cruise good, and the rest how to make it bad, which group is going to make more progress quicker?

End Rant.

I do think goblins is well placed with Lands being the worst of the "common" match-ups we should expect to see, at this exact moment anyway. Your Armageddon in board intrigues me. Is it possible to use Cataclysm with Flagstones of Trokair instead by chance, similar to D&T tech when they run it?

Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Oct 2012
    Italy

Death and taxes is better suited to take advantage of cataclysm, because it runs better stand-alone creatures and equipments.

The best case scenario for goblins would be to keep aether vial, a random goblin and a land ... usually vial leaves you with a big advantage, but things could get shaky if opponent is keeping a tarmo or a nemesis. Well, i guess it works if the goblin we are keeping is krenko, but it's a corner-case, and i think armageddon is better in goblins if you want to play it.

Mar 2006
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    Death and taxes is better suited to take advantage of cataclysm, because it runs better stand-alone creatures and equipments.

The best case scenario for goblins would be to keep aether vial, a random goblin and a land ... usually vial leaves you with a big advantage, but things could get shaky if opponent is keeping a tarmo or a nemesis. Well, i guess it works if the goblin we are keeping is krenko, but it's a corner-case, and i think armageddon is better in goblins if you want to play it.
    This assessment seems correct against the broader field, but the hypothetical sideboarded Cataclysm or Armageddon would be for specific matchups only such as Lands, Miracles and 12 Post. I would not want to play it against decks that are capable of amassing a good board presence, which is typically the case for Goyf and TNN decks. I have never played with Goblin Settler however, so it might do the intended job just fine.

How well is Warren Instigator suited in the present metagame? There is obviously a lot of X/1 hate floating around in this meta, is it too susceptible to that or do you think it's too powerful to deny?
    Team R&D

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    This assessment seems correct against the broader field, but the hypothetical sideboarded Cataclysm or Armageddon would be for specific matchups only such as Lands, Miracles and 12 Post. I would not want to play it against decks that are capable of amassing a good board presence, which is typically the case for Goyf and TNN decks. I have never played with Goblin Settler however, so it might do the intended job just fine.

How well is Warren Instigator suited in the present metagame? There is obviously a lot of X/1 hate floating around in this meta, is it too susceptible to that or do you think it's too powerful to deny?
    In my meta Warren Instigator is absolutely unplayable. There is a lot of elves, UR delver, BUG, Death and Taxes (those decks normally have blockers or removal or they are just to fast (elves)
    Also i think Warren Instigator is only playable if u can drop it turn 1 with chrome mox. But chrome mox means no pyrokinessis in my oppinion. And since pyrokinessis is way to strong i cant play moxes so i wont play Winstigators.

• Zealous Persucution
    • Engineerd Plague
    • Golgari Charm
    • Toxic Deluge
    • Pyroclasm

So i rather play chieftains instead of warren instigators to keep my creatures alive. Also i rather topdeck a chieftain anytime over a warren instigator.
    I have played al different builds and i like the build with 7 hastelords a lot.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Inspired by a list I happened to come across on Cockatrice

Stompy Gobbos (or Of Moggs and Men)
    11 Core
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Moggcatcher (Note: Not sure 'bout this one in particular: makes good use of the stompy manabase with MUDballs, but might be too cute)
    2 Kikki-Jikki, Mirror Breaker

5 Toolbox
    1 Zealous Conscripts
    1 Sting Scourger
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter

6 Moons
    4 Magus of the Moon
    2 Blood Moon

8 MUDballs
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Sphere of Resistance

7 Removal
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Tarfire

23 Mana
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Cavern of Souls
    8 Mountain

---

Playing Dark Maverick against a list similar to this one, I can attest to the sheer brutality that is a Kikki-Jikki copying any other Goblin. And while I can see how it wouldn't be good to play him in a standard gobbos list, he's just brilliant with a stompy manabase backing him up.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Inspired by a list I happened to come across on Cockatrice

Stompy Gobbos (or Of Moggs and Men)
    This looks like an interesting take on Mogg Stompy, but that discussion is better placed here. This is a Vial Goblins thread, while they are the Blood Moon Stompy thread, despite the name, Dragon Stompy.

Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post

This looks like an interesting take on Mogg Stompy, but that discussion is better placed here. This is a Vial Goblins thread, while they are the Blood Moon Stompy thread, despite the name, Dragon Stompy.
    My bad. Thought Goblins was a catchall for the creature type :/

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Report for a Win a Duel (Underground Sea)

Goblin Sharpshooter is one of our best cards versus Dredge. Once it gets online it deals with all their Ichorids, Narcomoebas and Bridges. Do not board it out. I would board out the thir Ringleader or a Tinstreet Hooligan instead. I have found Dredge to be a decent matchup, especially if you are the more experienced player. Having Skirk Prospector really helps though, as it can steal a lot of games. Anyways, congratulations on your finish!

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Did anyone try splashing blue for Goblins? I have an spare HP set of FoWs and Some dazes. Just imagine: Turn 1, fetch, volcanic island, lackey, go.

Opponent: What the s**t?

Opponent: Turn 1, Fetch, DRS, g-

You: Daze to your DRS.

And then you attack with dem lackey. Also it would make our matches against Combo playable at least.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by owerbart View Post
    Did anyone try splashing blue for Goblins? I have an spare HP set of FoWs and Some dazes. Just imagine: Turn 1, fetch, volcanic island, lackey, go.

Opponent: What the s**t?

Opponent: Turn 1, Fetch, DRS, g-

You: Daze to your DRS.

And then you attack with dem lackey. Also it would make our matches against Combo playable at least.
    It seems really rough to have enough Goblins to make Goblin Lackey relevant enough with 7-8 mainboard counterspells AND have enough blue spells to make sure Force is online, not to mention Aether Vial. As always, try it out, but I have some strong doubts.

Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Thread Information