Page 438 of 509 FirstFirst ... 338388428434435436437438439440441442448488 ... LastLast
Results 8,741 to 8,760 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by seilaquem View Post
    You are right about the unfavorable position it can provide. though when you are on topdeck mode, chorme mox is slightly worse due to requiring 2 cards in hand to cast it, and having to "discard" a beater just seems awful to me. (i've been playing tes for a while, so i know how frustrating it is)

I have been advocating petal use for a while, and it's been really great for me. we just need the ramp t1-2. and it can leverage some awesome t3 plays.
    it helps a lot to play around daze. (providing you also have a land in hand)

so, lotus/mox/SSG acceletarion allow us play better against tempo. 1 haste lord on turn 2. it's very good against RUG, when you can play chalice t1. (did that, was awesome)

also, you can play a chalice @2 against punishing combo on turn 3. although you might be just plain dead if you need to play around such combo u.u

so, i guess the tradeoff is worth it, even against fair decks. (though it's not great)
    Opening yourself up to spell pierce/daze + other counterspells that are usually dead against us, whilst clogging your deck up with low impact non-goblins sounds like a terrible idea. We already have mana-advantage cards available to us in Aether Vial, Rishadan Port and Warchief + Skirk Prospector, we really don't need more.

In any case, Punishing Jund will just Abrupt Decay your chalice, so I wouldn't put all my eggs in the ramp-to-Chalice basket if I were you. Your only hope is to draw many wastelands and hope to run them out of cards while you ringleader ahead.
    Last edited by Stevestamopz; 05-05-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Hello guys.

Been away for a while but didn't forget about our little green man.

Some thoughts of some testing i made, that i didn't posted yet.
    • Mogg Maniac : Have nice iterations specially with Gempalm Incinerator, but alone doesn't give us strength on the board (Not good enough)
    • Sparksmith : Terrible. The idea is good, but just doesn't work (In Top deck is bad, and on table or we have fewer creatures and he is not good enough or we have too much and we don't need him)

Those two cards (for those who remember) where in my deck for testing few different solutions, but they didn't do the trick and after 4 small local tournaments of poor performance i changed back to my preferential list, and the last two tournaments went pretty well (in this local tournaments are almost always the same players, so, they know exactly what i'm playing, and know the correct answers making it more difficult to play, also they have a tuned sideboard against our Meta), so i am very happy with the results.

Last Week ( Won: 3 / Draw: 0 / Lost: 1)
    1. UWR Won 2 - 1 on the play
      Game 1 - Goblins at Work, Cavern + Lackey (Go) ... too fast (Won 1 - 0)
      Game 2 - Grindy game, he lowers Monastery Mentor, and with nothing to stop that i loose ( Lost 1 - 1 )
      Game 3 - Land + Chrome Mox + Chalice, played Warren Instigator ... Victory (Won 2 - 1 )
    2. Maverick Won 2 - 0 on the play
      Game 1 - Moutain + Lackey + Go (Tarfire + Gempalm + Wasteland ... ) (Won 1 - 0)
      Game 2 - Moutain + Tarfire + Chrome Mox + Lackey (Gempalm + Wasteland ... ) (Won 2 - 0)
    3. Bug Delver Lost 2 - 0 on the draw
      Game 1 - Mull to 6. he plays Deathrite Shaman and then Hymn To Tourach and then Liliana ( Lost 0 - 1 )
      Game 2 - Mull to 6, he plays Deathrite Shaman and then Hymn To Tourach and then Liliana ( Lost 0 - 2 )
    4. Nic Fit 2 - 1 on the draw
      Game 1 - Opponent forgets card of sideboard in main deck ... and gives me game 1. (Won 1 - 0)
      Game 2 - Good start, but then mana flood. (Lost 1 - 1)
      Game 3 - Lackey + Warren instigator Floods the table ( 2 - 1 )

Today ( Won: 2 / Draw: 0 / Lost: 1)

1. Zoo Won 2 - 0 on the play
      Game 1 - Moutain + Lackey + Go (Tarfire + Gempalm + Wasteland ... )
      Game 2 - my opponent mulls to 6 and goes for play with a mountain + kird ape , my firs turn was fetch, and when i see that he does't drop the 2 land, i drop chalice (at 1) and Warren Instigator ... and then Chalice at 2 (i was sorry about the guy)
    2. BUG Delver Won 2 - 1 on the draw
      Game 1 - I Flood the table, he lowers Tarmogoyf, ... wait for it ... i almost died, and at 1 of life i turn the table around and won ( Won 1 - 0 )
      Game 2 - Great hand, but HUGE MISTAKE, starting hand 2 Lands, 1 Tarfire, 1 Chalice... Opponent plays Delver, and in MY TURN i tarfire the creature, instead doing it in his turn (i would have won if i killed the Delver in his turn and dropped the Chalice at 1) ... when i told him my mistake, he agreed i Would have Won. (Lost 1 - 1)
      Game 3 - I Mull to 6, 1 Mountain + 2 Wasteland + 1 Tarfire + 2 Goblin Matron. Wasteland the earlier lands and killed his Deathrite Shaman, and he was mana screw! (Won 2 - 1)
    3. Burn/sligh Lost 1 - 2 (a weird deck but it works) on the draw
      Game 1 - he was too fast and i had a terrible hand, but even so, we reach a point that if he didn't kill me, i would won in next turn. (Chrome mox helped a lot for speeding) (Lost 0 - 1)
      Game 2 - Chrome mox + Chalice of the Void + Warren Instigator in starting hand ... too easy (Won 1 - 1)
      Game 3 - Chalice of the Void in starting hand only two lands in 7 turns, at the second turn he had 3 creatures on table and i put chalice, ... i found no burn, neither matron and i loose because of 2 or more cost spells and he gave me 10 damage with is creatures. ( Lost 1 - 2 ) The lack of 1 land for that amount of turns cost me the game.

Decklist

Creatures (29 Cards)
    .4x Goblin Lackey
    .3x Warren Instigator
    .1x Goblin Piledriver
    .2x Tin Street Hooligan
    .3x Mogg War Marshal
    .1x Stingscourger
    .4x Goblin Matron
    .2x Goblin Warchief
    .1x Goblin Chieftain
    .3x Gempalm Incinerator
    .4x Goblin Ringleader
    .1x Siege-Gang Commander

Instants (4 Cards)
    .3x Tarfire
    .1x Pyrokinesis

Artifacts (6 Cards)
    .2x Chrome Mox
    .4x Aether Vial

Lands (21 Cards)
    .4x Cavern of Souls
    .3x Wasteland
    .1x Badlands
    .1x Taiga
    .1x Plateu
    .3x Bloodstained Mire
    .3x Wooded Foothills
    .2x Pendelhaven
    .3x Mountain

Sideboard
    .3x Chalice of the void
    .2x Cabal Therapy
    .2x Containment Priest
    .2x Relic of Progenitus
    .1x Rest in Peace
    .1x Grafdigger's Cage
    .1x Eidolon of the great revel
    .1x Pyrokinesis
    .1x Engineering Plague
    .1x Goblin Sharpshooter

Hi everyone, I've been a Goblin enthusiast for the better part of the decade. I've been on Reanimator recently, but I played Goblins today because it just felt like it was time to bust it out.

Sideboard:
    3X Earwig Squad
    4X Thoughtseize
    3X Chalice of the Void
    3X Leyline of the Void
    2X Pyrokinesis

Main Deck was pretty stock
    4X Aether Vial
    4X Lackey
    4X Matron
    4X Ringleader
    3X Piledriver
    3X Gempalm
    2X Tarfire
    1X Kiki-Jiki
    1X Siege Gang
    1X Grenzo
    3X Warchief
    1X Chieftain
    1X Krenko
    1X Tuk Tuk Scrapper
    1X Prospector
    1X Sharpshooter
    1X Stingscourger
    2X War Marshall

Lands:
    4X Port
    4X Waste
    4X Bloodstained
    2X Badlands (actually one was bloodcrypt due to budget)
    4X Cavern
    4X Mountain

Round 1: URW Mentor

Game 1: The game lasted about 55 mins of the 60 min round. He was new to his deck but is a skilled miracles player. I was hit with 3 Terminuses. I was lightning bolted 4x, then 3x more times with snapcaster bringing back lightning bolt. I brought him to as low as 2 multiple times. He eventually got batterskull, which stabilized enough to got lethal mentor. It was possibly a misplay because I'm not sure what I get here. Most of my deck is in my graveyard, and he had an active batterskull. I drew matron than got scrapper, but krenko may have been correct here. I'm not sure I could have beaten him given the goblins in my graveyard, but I could have played into the draw with Krenko. Instead I went for the win by attempting to destroy the equipment and hope he didn't have another threat. (We were both in topdeck mode).

Game 2: On the play, lackey connects and I win by turn 4 or 5.

0-0-1

Round 2: Nic Fit Pod Combo

Game 1: On the play, lackey connects after tarfire killing veteran explorer. We both get two lands and I ramp faster than he can deal with. Highlight of the game is gempalm incinerating a siege rhino for 8 dmg.

Game 2: Leyline of the void starts in play and I hear an audible sigh. He has a hand of recurring nightmare, and cabal therapies that hit nothing. My hand is slow though, and eventually he gets to deed on turn 4, and blow it on turn 5 for my entire board. Then his engine starts going, where he is taking my creatures than nightmaring them away into an eventual combo where he goes off with palinchron and recurring nightmare. Super cool deck.

Game 3: Once again, we go to time, and it feels great to have everyone watch how sweet Goblins is when it is doing it's magic. I present lethal on turn 6, and his only out is topdeck Massacre Wurm. He gets the topdeck, but lacks the 3rd black mana to cast it. He was fetching basics because he heard I had been wastelanding in match 1. Yay got there!

1-0-1

Round 3: BUG Super Friends

A very skilled reanimator player (probably one of the best legacy players I have ever met). Both him and I decided not to play reanimator because another person who was new to legacy built the deck and started playing it as well. No one wants to see 3 Reanimator players among 10-12 players in a weekly.

Game 1: Super long grindy match. I'm chaining ringleaders and matrons. I live through deeds. He plays kiora and bubbles my matron (my only creature in play). I topdeck Kiki Jiki, play it, and copy matron, getting chieftain to kill Kiora.And I eventually get there the way Goblins does.

Game 2: He sides in Damnation. He blows up deeds multiple times while damning my goblins. I am careful not to overextend with presenting just enough power to keep a respectable clock. I finally gain a big enough board to threaten on board lethal while he has a deed in play with 2 mana open. Instead of matroning for piledriver and forcing the deed to blow, thereby losing lethal but keeping my big cc minions in play, I play too safe and matron for ringleader to rebuild AFTER I lose the whole board. I was under pressure and I made the wrong decision. In the process, I lose active krenko, kiki, and the game. Really, there is no excuse to lose from this position aside from inexperience. A better Goblins player would have won here. We both enter topdeck mode after about 10-15 turns. Then he gets active Karn to my single warchief in play. I get matron into piledriver and attempt to kill Karn, but he has recurring darkblast that I forget about and I lose my piledriver and eventually the game.

Game 3: On the play, I keep a bad hand with 5 mins left. We ended up drawing on turn 5. But he has just ultimated me with Jace so I just concede because I would have lost turn 6.

1-1-1

Round 4: My buddy using my U/G 12 post

We had played multiple practice matches prior to the event as he was newish to legacy and wanted to try a different deck besides the burn deck I gave him. His medium draws were beating my poor draws in the practice matches. Fast forward 4 hrs, and we laugh as we meet in the final round. He had just crushed another goblin player who played main deck blood moons and chalices (more goblin stompy like). I heard that he show and telled turn 3 both games for the brutal prime time catalyzed kills.

Game 1: Open with lackey, and drop kiki. Natural draw matron, play matron, and put into play the krenko that I got off the matron. I realized that I had no time to chain ringleaders here, I needed to win as soon as possible, and my plan was to go for a piledriving lethal. I eventually get 18 goblins into play among other non-token goblins, and that is enough to get there. He almost stabilizes with glacial chasm but I was holding double tarfire. One tarfire is cast as he is retrieving chasm with expedition map (takes him down to 1), and the other hits him after he fails to pay for his upkeep.

Game 2: I keep a terrible hand of land and no 1 drops, but 2 wastelands and port. I get punished of course by only drawing 1 red source after about 9 turns. With both of us low on lands, he show and tells primetime when I don't port his blue mana in order to present some sort of clock with ringleader. My land count is Cavern of souls and 3 ports. I put in matron, and my only out at this point is stingscourger, into draw black source for the thoughtseize to re-stablize. I don't get that and I lose when he gets Karakas, Eye of Ugin, and active Primetime.

Game 3: I keep a strong hand and he keeps a mediocre one.

Turn 1: Lackey go

His turn 1: Maze of Ith go

Turn 2: Land Go

His turn 2: Glimmerpost go

Turn 3: Goblin Chieftain + Lackey Swing for 2

His turn 3, he vesuvas maze of ith (which I think is a mistake, but given the contents of his hand, which was god awful, he would not have gotten into the game with any play that was open to him)

Turn 4: PROWL EARWIG SQUAD off chieftain hitting and lackey getting mazed. I remove 3 show and tells after seeing he had 2 maze of iths, a Glimmerpost, and another mana producing land.

His turn 4: Land Go

Turn 5: PROWL EARWIG SQUAD AGAIN. Taking his final show and tell and his 2 ugins.

Turn 6: kill.

Getting earwig squad down on turn 3 while using it to take the win cons of these control decks is just about the greatest feeling ever.

End the night 2-1-1

Which after breakers, is good enough for 4th place. It would have been better if I didn't concede in round 2 and took the draw instead, but I guess it doesn't really matter. 2-0-2 probably takes the same prize.

Overall, Grenzo should probably be another siege gang. Sharpshooter is still good when you have lots of goblins. With all the board sweeps, it's hard for inexperienced players to know when exactly to commit and when to just get more ringleaders. Krenko and Kiki-Jiki were great when they weren't getting spot removed.

In closing, I love goblins.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Is anyone going to GP Lille?

I'm really considering going, given that I finish university about 2 weeks before.

Plane tickets are unbelievable though :( Close to 3500 AUD return, which is like... 2800 US and 2480 Euros.
    So jealous of all of you in the US and Europe haha

Feb 2014
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Since I live in France I am going with Goblins

I haven't touched my list in months, anybody got some cards advice for a classic mono red control list ? I have the Ports and Wastes but not a single dual land

Last year at GP Paris I went 5-4 with this list :

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    10 Mountain

4 Lackey
    4 Matron
    4 Piledriver
    4 Tingleader
    4 Warchief
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Gempalm
    1 Krenko
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Tuktuk scrapper
    1 Skirk prospector

4 Vials
    3 Tarfire

Sideboard :
    4 Chalice of the void
    3 Tarfire
    3 Relic of progenitus
    2 Pithing needle
    2 Ashen Rider
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

I'm really considering going, given that I finish university about 2 weeks before.

Plane tickets are unbelievable though :( Close to 3500 AUD return, which is like... 2800 US and 2480 Euros.
    So jealous of all of you in the US and Europe haha
    Jup, I'm going. Not sure what to play, right now my mind is set on RG Lands... but IMHO I haven't made enough hours with the deck. Second best would be Goblins, but I would have to borrow Badlands, for I think Black is the best splash at this moment.

I would say: go for it! But not just for the GP, but also for sightseeing 😊
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Jup, I'm going. Not sure what to play, right now my mind is set on RG Lands... but IMHO I haven't made enough hours with the deck. Second best would be Goblins, but I would have to borrow Badlands, for I think Black is the best splash at this moment.

I would say: go for it! But not just for the GP, but also for sightseeing 😊
    I will be there as well it's only a 3 hour ride for me. And you can borrow badlands and Auntie's hovel from me, Chatto.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

I'll definitely be looking into flights then! Thanks guys.

It'd be cool for us to hang out as we wreck faces with the mighty goblins!

@thagaste- jam some magus of the moon action in your list. You won't regret it

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    I will be there as well it's only a 3 hour ride for me. And you can borrow badlands and Auntie's hovel from me, Chatto.
    Thank Gobolord! I'm still not sure, but thanks for the offer And let's meet up with all of the Goblins-Clan!
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Feb 2014
    France

jam some magus of the moon action in your list. You won't regret it
    That's a good idea, never thought of it before thanks for the tip

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Question for those playing 4 piledrivers/classic gobs but obviously all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Against a super grindy control deck that's relying on young pyromancer to get the job done, would you board out some number of piledrivers in favour of pyrokinesis and an extra siege gang?

My current sideboard is a bit experimental but for reference;
    1 SGC (Comes in against every deck where I won't need 2 Tin-Streets)
    2 Pyrokinesis (elves are currently MIA)
    3 Red Blast
    2 krosan grips
    2 Relics (I'm probably skimping too much on gy hate)
    1 Stingscourger (again 2 is probably better)
    4 Magus of da Moon.

Feb 2014
    France

Against a super grindy control deck that's relying on young pyromancer to get the job done, would you board out some number of piledrivers in favour of pyrokinesis and an extra siege gang? .
    If Young Pyromancer is one of the deck's only creature and it's win condition I would board a couple Piledrivers, leaving two in the deck for Pyrokinesis. Piledriver is highly vulnerable to Forked Bold and Lightning Bolt (in the Delver MU) and you can be sure they will be used on him. It will also get blocked every time by them tokens.

I usually do the same SB plan against Elves or D&T since piledrivers hardly go through but I like to live 1 or 2 so I can tutor it when I got the game under control.

But then again, I'm playing the deck a control way and I don't know how the Winstigator list might do.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagaste View Post
    If Young Pyromancer is one of the deck's only creature and it's win condition I would board a couple Piledrivers, leaving two in the deck for Pyrokinesis. Piledriver is highly vulnerable to Forked Bold and Lightning Bolt (in the Delver MU) and you can be sure they will be used on him. It will also get blocked every time by them tokens.

I usually do the same SB plan against Elves or D&T since piledrivers hardly go through but I like to live 1 or 2 so I can tutor it when I got the game under control.

But then again, I'm playing the deck a control way and I don't know how the Winstigator list might do.
    Seems solid. Against Delver I keep in Piledrivers because I want it to get bolted (and not my face) but against a million tokens, it seems terrible.

Aug 2014
    Iowa

I would look into Legion Loyalist for this matchup. His battalion trigger gives first strik,e trample and can't be blocked by creature tokens, which should take care of a clogged board. I've been debating on playing one in the sideboard for any token related strategy.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGreenGuys View Post
    I would look into Legion Loyalist for this matchup. His battalion trigger gives first strik,e trample and can't be blocked by creature tokens, which should take care of a clogged board. I've been debating on playing one in the sideboard for any token related strategy.
    I can't change my decklist for this match up specifically, but it's not a bad suggestion!

I haven't touched my list in months, anybody got some cards advice for a classic mono red control list ? I have the Ports and Wastes but not a single dual land

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    10 Mountain

4 Lackey
    4 Matron
    4 Piledriver
    4 Tingleader
    4 Warchief
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Gempalm
    1 Krenko
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Tuktuk scrapper
    1 Skirk prospector

4 Vials
    3 Tarfire

Sideboard :
    4 Chalice of the void
    3 Tarfire
    3 Relic of progenitus
    2 Pithing needle
    2 Ashen Rider
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

your deck looks sweet anyway

but something is of... i guess some of these tarfire are pyrokinesis... cause there r 3 on main, and 3 on board, adding 6 total... didnt check if the main has 60 cards...

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    10 Mountain

4 Lackey
    4 Matron
    4 Piledriver
    4 Tingleader
    4 Warchief
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Gempalm
    1 Krenko
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Tuktuk scrapper
    1 Skirk prospector

4 Vials
    3 Tarfire

Sideboard :
    4 Chalice of the void
    3 Tarfire
    3 Relic of progenitus
    2 Pithing needle
    2 Ashen Rider
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    I would highly recommend dropping 1 Tarfire MD and replacing it with 1 MD Pyrokinesis. This just gives you more flexibility and Pyrokinesis is a much better topdeck midgame than Tarfire. That will free up 1 slot in your SB too, since you'll only need 2 pyros in the side. I would drop the third pyro and 2 Ashen Riders fromt he side and replace them with Thorn of Amethyst. Thorn is great against SnT (obviously what Ashen Rider is there for) but also much better against a wider array of combo.

Feb 2014
    France

Quote Originally Posted by seilaquem View Post
    your deck looks sweet anyway

but something is of... i guess some of these tarfire are pyrokinesis... cause there r 3 on main, and 3 on board, adding 6 total... didnt check if the main has 60 cards...
    Thanks man ! You are right it is a mistake and it is 3 pyrokinesis in the sideboard. My bad !

@jrw1985 thanks for the advice, I will try a MD mix between Tarfire and Pyrokinesis.
    I will also test Thorn of Amethyst in the sideboard against S&T, that will work well against Storm too.

I'm also going to try a small black splash with 4 fetchlands and 1 Blood Crypt (can't afford a dual) for a main deck Earwig Squad and maybe one more in the SB. I'll post an updated list in the next few days.

Oct 2012
    Italy

It seems to me that Earwig Squad is becoming more and more popular between us goblins players. Personally i have very little experience with it, so i would like to suggest gobolord (or anyone who is willing to do it) if some sort of guide about what to typically strip against the most popular decks (or even not so popular ones) could be added to the primer. I mean, by now i've been playing legacy for some years and i have an idea of what i should take against a lot of decks, but i feel like this sort of thing could be very useful to new players.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    It seems to me that Earwig Squad is becoming more and more popular between us goblins players. Personally i have very little experience with it, so i would like to suggest gobolord (or anyone who is willing to do it) if some sort of guide about what to typically strip against the most popular decks (or even not so popular ones) could be added to the primer. I mean, by now i've been playing legacy for some years and i have an idea of what i should take against a lot of decks, but i feel like this sort of thing could be very useful to new players.
    I think that's a great idea. Off the top of my head I could say emrakul vs omni and moat/entreat the angels against miracles. I'm on the go so I don't have time to really sort out a good list, but I'd love to see everyone's ideas on this.

Thread Information