Page 441 of 509 FirstFirst ... 341391431437438439440441442443444445451491 ... LastLast
Results 8,801 to 8,820 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Chatto, if you are still searching for good second drop test Grenzo. He is very solid play on turn 2-7.
    I played DE in my local store week ago and Grenzo was great In all games.

1-2 ug post(bad hands, lots of mull)
    2-1 high tide
    1-1 ur delver
    2-1 omnitell
    2-1 D&T

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by OlegtheSuper View Post
    Chatto, if you are still searching for good second drop test Grenzo. He is very solid play on turn 2-7.
    I played DE in my local store week ago and Grenzo was great In all games.

1-2 ug post(bad hands, lots of mull)
    2-1 high tide
    1-1 ur delver
    2-1 omnitell
    2-1 D&T
    Would you develop how you beaten omni and tide? What cards you used?
    Thanks.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    Would you develop how you beaten omni and tide? What cards you used?
    Thanks.
    Vs HT
    1g:a blue movie
    2g:trap to turnabout and win
    3g:lackey-fow,chalice-fow,chalice-win

In:2 trap, 3 chalice
    Out:2 tarfire, 2 pyro, 1 sting

Vs omni
    1g: a blue movie
    2g: trap to dig from omni-win
    3g:confusion in the ranks

In:2 grip, 3 chalice, 2 confusion, 2 trap
    Out:-2 pyro, -2 fire, -1 shooter, -1 gemp/grenzo, -1 ring, -1 tuk, -1 tin

Quote Originally Posted by Lucipher2k View Post
    Not allowed?!
    i know it's banned, for sure, i only just thinking how would be the deck with the recruiter

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by bizdoin View Post
    i know it's banned, for sure, i only just thinking how would be the deck with the recruiter

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

If they unbanned Goblin Recruiter, I think our deck would have a real shot at going up a tier or 2. It's not even clear that Foodchain-Gobs would be a busted combo deck anymore anyway, so I doubt there would be concerns about breaking the format with a new combo deck

Think about Goblin Recruiter as a really good Ponder. It would give us enough deck manipulation, as well as letting us chain home-run Ringleaders whenever we felt like it. I tested it out once in a non-combo shell, and it was fucking sweet.

Where do we start the petition then?
    Last edited by Stevestamopz; 05-17-2015 at 01:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

i have seen that video of the banned series but that deck is focused in food chain, i was thinking on a normal list of goblins but with the changes of the recruiter

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Hello Chieves,
    I went to a Win dual today and figured I'd throw my report in. Prizes were heavily skewed towards the top, and only 18 players. I was expecting something close to 40 players, and therefor stronger prizes. The store is not close, and usually pulls a large crowd.

Tournament Report

4 Rounds, cut to top 4.

1st: Volcanic Island
    2nd: Scrubland
    3rd: Taiga
    4th: Fat Pack

The List
    4 Goblin Lackey
    1 Skirk Prospector
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    2 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Tin Street Hooligan
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    4 Goblin Warchief
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    2 Gempalm Incinerator
    2 Tarfire
    2 Pyrokinesis
    4 AEther Vial
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Plateau
    1 Taiga
    3 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Stingscourger
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Pyrokinesis
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Wear // Tear
    2 Confusion in the Ranks
    3 Relic of Progenitus

I was told that the meta at this shop was usually Combo. Making the guess that Omni-Tell would be more popular over Sneak & Show I swapped my Containment Priests for Confusion in the Ranks. I also decided I wanted to re-try out Red Elemental Blast again. I had originally tested it out years ago, but when I was newer and had dismissed it. Perhaps now that I am more experienced it would shine through. Other than that, I am very comfortable with the Classic List, so off we go.

Round 1
    Scott, on Maverick.
    I had actually helped him get his list together, but he was very new to Legacy and wanted to come to learn about the format. He was running McDarby's 1st place list from a while back with a different sideboard.

Game 1
    He won the die roll and we both kept. Mother of Runes met Tarfire. Green Sun's Zenith for Dryad Arbor matched by Aether Vial. The Stoneforge Mystic nabbed a Sword of Fire and Ice I took hits until I found a Goblin Matron and slammed my Tin Street Hooligan. The game dragged for a bit after that with nothing really happening due to me drawing and using Rishadan Ports. At some point I got another Aether Vial down. The second Stonefore Mystic (Umezawa's Jitte) though meant I had to find an answer now. I found a Goblin Ringleader, and Aether Vialed it in, finding Goblin Piledriver and Goblin Ringleader, vialing Goblin Ringleader in finding me Mogg War Marshal and Goblin Ringleader, casting Goblin Ringleader finding me both Skirk Prospector and Goblin Sharpshooter. I. Love. This. Deck. After burying him the old fashioned way we went to game 2.

Game 2
    I only boarded in the Pyrokinesis and Wear // Tear, dropping 2 Goblin Lackey.

This game was not very eventful. I had an answer for everything he played and won. Sometimes you just win outright.

Round 2 (currently 1-0)
    Jacob, on BUG Delver

Game 1
    I won the roll this time and opted to go first. My opener had a Goblin Lackey, a Pyrokinesis and some lands. Sure.
    I put down the Goblin Lackey and it ate a Force of Will. His turn revealed Basic Island and Delver of Secrets. I jammed a fresh Goblin Lackey from the top of my library and let him have his turn. His delver revealed a Hymn to Tourach thanks to an end of turn Brainstorm. He played a Wasteland and passed back. I guess that Hymn isn't happening anytime soon. I dropped a Piker (read Tin Street Hoooligan). He played another Delver of Secrets and Pondered off of a fetched Tropical Island, hitting me for 3 somewhere in there. I untapped, Pyrokinesis'd his stuff and wasted his shiny new Tropical Island, bashed for two and the rest of the game followed suit. He never really got another creature to stick past that point due to a soon to be found Rishadan Port and Goblin Matron for Gempalm Incinerator.

Game 2
    I boarded the extra Pyrokinesis and took out a Goblin Lackey

This was a long and grindy game that involved a lot of early Wastelands from both of us and a few Rishadan Ports, but I came out ahead due to an Aether Vial. He must not be very practiced at playing against the card, as it was in play on turn 2. Despite that advantage I found 2 Goblin Ringleaders throughout the course of the game and they both straight up missed. It came down to me racing a Deathrite Shaman with a Tin Street Hooligan and him having no green sources left in his deck. I was finally rewarded with my faith in the deck, Tarfire for exacts.

Round 3 (currently 2-0)
    Drew, on UG Infect

Game 1
    I won the roll and jammed Goblin Lackey from a Mountain and it got Force of Willed exiling Brainstorm. He revealed his deck pretty quickly with fetch, Tropical Island, Glistener Elf. At this point I'm pretty glad I kept a double Tarfire hand. I sequentially killed two creatures with Tarfire two turns straight. His hand seemed to be all in on Pendelhaven. I unfortunately never found a third land this game and died 3 turns later to some good draws.

Game 2
    I boarded in a lot this game. 3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, 2 Ethersworn Canonist, Pyrokinesis and Stingscourger. I think I took out 4 Aether Vial, 2 Goblin Ringleader, and 1 Tin Street Hooligan.

The game really started with my turn 2 Ethersworn Canonist, as he spent his time cantripping to find an Inkmoth Nexus. The game was then a slow grind with me eventually coming out dead due to the fact that cycling Gempalm Incinerator with Ethersworn Canonist out still lets me cast Pyrokinesis.

Game 3
    I promptly mulled to 4 with a No Lander, a No Lander and a No Lander. Luckily the 4 cards were still a No Lander. I kept Goblin Lackey, Skirk Prospector, Goblin Ringleader and Gempalm Incinerator. That's my best shot, so I took it. I did not find a land till turn 3 and it was a [cards]Wasteland[cards]. I died on turn 4. He was playing carefully to dodge Pyrokinesis.

Should I have boarded out Aether Vial this game?

Round 4 (currently 2-1)
    Steven, on Esper Stoneblade

Game 1
    On the draw I mulled to a good 5 with Aether Vial, Goblin Lackey and a Cavern of Souls. He got a very quick Sword of Fire and Ice down, but I had the Tin Street Hooligan in hand at that time. We ground for several turns with him never actually being in danger; I was on defense the entire game. My Goblin Matron could never actually grab Goblin Ringleader, they were always grabbing answers. He eventually slammed an Elspeth, Knight-Errant and my chump blocking promptly ended.

Game 2
    I brought in 2 Red Elemental Blast and the Wear // Tear, cutting 2 Goblin Piledriver and a Mogg War Marshal.

He mulled once and we began. Turn 1 Aether Vial resolved and I was able to enact the Wasteland, Rishadan Port, Aether Vial plan directly after getting two Deathrite Shaman with Pyrokinesis.

Game 3
    I boarded back in the 2 Goblin Piledrivers and Mogg War Marshal and took out 3 Goblin Lackeys.

We both mulled and accepted our 6. This was one of the best games of magic I've played in a long time. I wish I had taken better notes, but I was paying too much attention to my opponent and the game to see where I could gain edges. I remember Elspeth, Knight-Errant being out for a good 6 turns and that I was on my back foot the entire time. I think he simply outplayed me, my hand was good, and so was his. It came down to 2 critical things happening on the second to last turn. He had a Zealous Persecution for my Pyrokinesis and my Aether Vialed Goblin Ringleader on my upkeep straight up missed, also drawing a Rishadan Port for turn. It was a deflating loss, but very fun.

Results
    2-2 and didn't make it in. It's a strange feeling- I've never not been near the top of an event with a prize pool like this. It was bound to happen eventually, but I was hoping.

I totally misjudged the meta, and my sideboard had very little to do with the games I played that day. It was the first time I've been to this shop in 3 years, and only had hearsay on what it was going to be. The decks I didn't play that day that I happened to see were stuff like UG Infect, Miracles, Burn, and Delver Variants. A pretty fair meta overall, and pretty good for my deck. Too bad. :/

I have played against UG Infect while boarding out Aether Vial in the past and I have tried it without do so, and I can't seem to tell much of a difference. The hate cards that matter are really cheap, free, or just have bodies to make up for costing 2. Legitimately curious what you guys think.

Mainboard Pyrokinesis is very, very good. Free's up slots in the board if you manage to predict your meta unlike me today.

As hard as Magic is, variance does exist and it looks like 12 non-goblins from 3 Goblin Ringleaders.

I still don't like Red Elemental Blast.

A Blood Moon effect looked really good.

In a nearly unrelated note: I'm really, really sick of seeing good cards.dec. No one is theory crafting anymore.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by bizdoin View Post
    i have seen that video of the banned series but that deck is focused in food chain, i was thinking on a normal list of goblins but with the changes of the recruiter
    I just whipped a list up about half an hour ago and goldfished with it. Goblin Recruiter is exactly what we need for the deck. It solves most of the problems that we currently face: against decks that we need to be hyper aggressive against, we can make a skirk prospector/warchief/war marshall/piledrivers pile and aggro very quickly that way, and the extra late game power it gives is absolutely insane.

http://www.mtgvault.com/steve2112rus...ecruiter-gobs/

I'm not certain on the 60; 3 warchief feels wrong, but in theory the card doesn't provide that much until we can go bananas with skirk prospector + war marshall, and with 8 ways to get it, it's not like we're short on it.
    Sharpshooter could easily be cut, but as usual it's really good as a silver bullet and in attrition games.
    2 War Marshal - I wish we could play 4

I would love to be able to squeeze in a Krenko, because as with War Marshal and Skirk Prospector, being able to convert 6 tokens into a warchief and 3 piledrivers is absolutely insane value.

Brewing with Recruiter is making me giddy with excitement! I really can't see any reason for it to not be unbanned; Legacy is already a super fast format and it's not even like what Recruiter is doing is any more powerful than what Elves is already doing, or what Griselbrand decks do.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Goblin Recruiter is exactly what we need for the deck. (...)
    Goblin Recruiter is awesome, but it will not be unbanned in the near future. That being said: I (like most of us, I think) already have a playset Goblin Recruiter and Food Chain at the ready, just to annoy people when the Day of Unbanning comes
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post

Results
    2-2 and didn't make it in. It's a strange feeling- I've never not been near the top of an event with a prize pool like this. It was bound to happen eventually, but I was hoping.

I totally misjudged the meta, and my sideboard had very little to do with the games I played that day. It was the first time I've been to this shop in 3 years, and only had hearsay on what it was going to be. The decks I didn't play that day that I happened to see were stuff like UG Infect, Miracles, Burn, and Delver Variants. A pretty fair meta overall, and pretty good for my deck. Too bad. :/

I have played against UG Infect while boarding out Aether Vial in the past and I have tried it without do so, and I can't seem to tell much of a difference. The hate cards that matter are really cheap, free, or just have bodies to make up for costing 2. Legitimately curious what you guys think.

Mainboard Pyrokinesis is very, very good. Free's up slots in the board if you manage to predict your meta unlike me today.

As hard as Magic is, variance does exist and it looks like 12 non-goblins from 3 Goblin Ringleaders.

I still don't like Red Elemental Blast.

A Blood Moon effect looked really good.

In a nearly unrelated note: I'm really, really sick of seeing good cards.dec. No one is theory crafting anymore.
    Bummer :( Sorry to hear.
    For what it's worth I recently lost both my matches for the top 8 for the legacy league, losing 1-2 against both Shardless Bug and Grixis Delver (I only needed to win 1 to make top 8) due to ringleader whiffs and really severe flooding. Sometimes Ringleader is draw 4 cards and bash for 2 sometimes Ringleader is an expensive Goblin Chariot. If we had as much deck manipulation as the blue decks do (see Goblin Recruiter) other decks would be in trouble.

As for REB, there are certain Meta's where it's very good, but lately it's become clear that more general hate cards like Magus of the Moon, Chalice of the Void, Pyrokinesis, and Rest In Peace accomplish the same things as what REB wants to do.

Modern magic design has become goodstuff.dec unfortunately, and it's bled through to Legacy. The sad reality is that Stoneforge/Deathrite/Delver/Goyf/Abrupt Decay whatever, backed up with counterspells and all the card manipulation you want is better than playing a deck that is built on synergy. It's lame as fuck, 100% agree with you on that point man.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Goblin Recruiter is awesome, but it will not be unbanned in the near future. That being said: I (like most of us, I think) already have a playset Goblin Recruiter and Food Chain at the ready, just to annoy people when the Day of Unbanning comes
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. Wizards are super reluctant to unban cards, even though many of the currently banned cards (black vise, mind twist) aren't even any good, and are much worse than some of the obnoxiously overpowered cards that are legal. Look at worldgorger dragon; it was unbanned and has seen precisely 0 play.

I wouldn't even play Food Chain Goblins though personally. Vial-Goblins with more deck manipulation is all I need to be the happiest Mtg player on earth

Oct 2012
    Italy

Of course i have a playset of food chains and recruiters ready .... i will wait forever to play them if needed. But like Steve i think Food Chain is not absolutely necessary, because vial goblins with goblin recruiter become an extremely difficult deck to face for non combo opponents.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

@Olaf:
    I'd not board out Vial against Infect. Though I do that against Burn and Elves, which are similar, against Infect you can win some games by messing their mana base. Other than that, if you have vial not only you can use mana for removal and dudes, but you can use waste and port on Nexus, which is huge.
    I'd bring in canonist thalia and Kinesis, and boar out 2 tsh, 2 ringleader, 2 mwm.

@Olaf:
    I'd not board out Vial against Infect. Though I do that against Burn and Elves, which are similar, against Infect you can win some games by messing their mana base. Other than that, if you have vial not only you can use mana for removal and dudes, but you can use waste and port on Nexus, which is huge.
    I'd bring in canonist thalia and Kinesis, and boar out 2 tsh, 2 ringleader, 2 mwm.
    Agreed on keeping vial vs infect. You can also have vial on 2 with stingscourger as an additional backup for removing an attacking infect creature

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    thanks for the list. my only doubt is how affect the recruiter to the number of matrons, if is better to run 2 or 3 matrons

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

@keeping vial at 2 vs Infect with sting in hand: Agree it can be done. Just think it's a tad unrealistic. Of the removals we have I think it's the worst,and other cards in the deck are better by then.

@Rectruiter: Please stop discussing the banned card here. It's quite unproductive. PMs and ther topics are for that, like the Vintage one, which is pretty fun.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

@Olaf:
    Makes sense, in the future I'll leave them in then.

Alternatively anything special about that Esperblade Match-up? It seems, at least on the surface, really rough. Their cards line up rather well against ours. He did kind of have everything when he needed it in my last game, but other than when your opponent just has it, what have you guys been doing. Is Magus of the Moon "solving" it, or perhaps Chalice of the Void. Maybe it's just like Shardless BUG and is really just a skill intensive match.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    Makes sense, in the future I'll leave them in then.

Alternatively anything special about that Esperblade Match-up? It seems, at least on the surface, really rough. Their cards line up rather well against ours. He did kind of have everything when he needed it in my last game, but other than when your opponent just has it, what have you guys been doing. Is Magus of the Moon "solving" it, or perhaps Chalice of the Void. Maybe it's just like Shardless BUG and is really just a skill intensive match.
    With your list against Esperblade, I'd probably just bring in the Kinesis and the Wear/Tear, taking out 2 Piledriver.
    Piledriver is easily chumped, specially if he runs Lingering Souls. If he is heavy in TNN and not L.Souls, then leave 3 in, removing either Prospector or a MWM, depending whether he plays many Lilianas.
    Kinesis and Wear/Tear lets you control the board, and that's what you need.
    ReB doesn't do much. You'll probably only have Brainstorm to hit. All other U cards are somewhat bad against you. And you don't want to dilute your deck more.
    Don't take out Lackeys. Even on the draw. They may have removal for it, or blockers, but they might not, and you may have removal as well. Also, if they spend a removal on him, great. 1 less removal for them and you only spend 1 mana, instead of 2 or more.
    And lastly, yes. Esper is a really tough matchup, and really skill intensive, as Shardless is. Depends 100% on your plays and your draws. Practice a lot. He has many angles of attack and defense, and you need to be prepared for all.
    ps: I'd not recommend Magus here. They usually have at least 3 basics, and sometimes Shaman. I'm not a fan of diluting my deck for it.

The guy who plays deathblade at my LGS runs TNN rather than lingering souls. For that I leave my piledrivers in.

I bring in 2 k-grip (and I have 2 shatter goblins main) since equipment is their primary way of beating us. I also like Pyroblast in this matchup due TNN and dig through time. They are high impact cards that are worth holding a blast up all game. It also gets jace and Meddling Mage, which may be necessary to deal with. I board in my one warren weirding too.

I take out my sharpshooter, maybe a tarfire, Kiki jiki, usually my experiment goblin (last week it was sparksmith, this week lightning crafter), and perhaps a lackey.

Thread Information