Page 485 of 509 FirstFirst ... 385435475481482483484485486487488489495 ... LastLast
Results 9,681 to 9,700 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

Re: [Deck] Goblins

GAAARRRRBAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by potatodavid View Post
    GAAARRRRBAGE!
    Indeed :P

That is some pretty god-awful art to go along with yet another bad goblin card.

I know this is a little random, but I've been playing a lot of RB goblins, and recently run across frogtosser banneret. It was actually super impressive, allowing the turn 3 ringleader, or turn 3 chief+ matron. My split currently is 2 frogtosser banneret, 3 warchiefs, and 1 chieftain. I've also cut war-marshal to 1 and piledriver to 1 and I haven't missed them.

This configuration has led to pretty good testing results against a slew of decks online.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by clashed View Post
    I know this is a little random, but I've been playing a lot of RB goblins, and recently run across frogtosser banneret. It was actually super impressive, allowing the turn 3 ringleader, or turn 3 chief+ matron. My split currently is 2 frogtosser banneret, 3 warchiefs, and 1 chieftain. I've also cut war-marshal to 1 and piledriver to 1 and I haven't missed them.

This configuration has led to pretty good testing results against a slew of decks online.
    Interesting! Will you keep us up to date with how it performs for you (when and where and why it's good/bad etc.)? I look forward to hearing about your results. :)

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

So I played another tournament yesterday after laying low for a while. I've been wanting try out some builds different to what I'm used to, and yesterday I was on a list with more bombs (1 Krenko, 2 SGC and 1 Lightning Crafter).
    I also moved the Scrapper to the sideboard as an experiment, as SFM hasn't been seeing much play lately (outside of DnT).

I went 3-1, losing to ANT, while beating Leylines, Maverick and Esper Mentor.

Both Lightning Crafter and SGC felt strong in the fair matchups, as they were both great at killing of X/2s. I'll definitely need to do further testing before I draw any conclusions, but there were certainly elements to this version that I liked.

Next up I'm looking to try an Earwig Squad centered build. I'm thinking three copies main to see if:

1: it's possible to consistently Earwig Squad on turn 3.

2: that idea has merit.

I'm inclined to believe that it won't be good enough, with EWS being a worse card when you're behind. I still want to try it out though. If I'm lucky I'll be proven wrong, and even if not, I will still likely learn some useful information from it.

So this is a card.

Mode 1: Exile Mother of Runes, Deathrite Shaman, Stoneforge Mystic, Delver of Secrets, Snapcaster Mage, etc...

Mode 2: Counter Terminus, Entreat the Angels, Tendrils of Agony, Natural Order, Show and Tell, etc...

Mode 3: Surprise chump blocker for goyf or dude that prevents lifelink and jitte triggers

I personally am running 2x Ancient Tomb in my main and the potential of having turn one Warping Wail is exciting. It's also really good turn two seeing how most goblin decks run 4 Ports, 4 Wastes, 4 Caverns.

I'm curious to see how it does.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinTurkey View Post
    [IMG]
    Mode 2: Counter Terminus, Entreat the Angels, Tendrils of Agony, Natural Order, Show and Tell, etc....
    Really hope you don't actually try to counter Tendrils of Agony with this.
    Anyway, if you try it, let us know how it goes. Card doesn't seem like utter garbage like the goblins in the set.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    Anyway, if you try it, let us know how it goes. Card doesn't seem like utter garbage like the goblins in the set.
    Forgot about Storm trigger for a second! Well it hits infernal tutor.

Jan 2014
    Québec

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    Actually, sometimes it's not a so bad idea to hit Tendrils with this. Normally, they try to cast as much spell as they can, but sometimes they can't do more than the exact damage to kill you and/as they have Tendrils in hand already for any reason (happened twice to me in the five rounds I had against ANT, so not that infrequent).
    So, this may let you survive about 1/10th of the time, if nothing more...

But yeah, try to hit the Tutor or the Wish instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Raznaak View Post
    Actually, sometimes it's not a so bad idea to hit Tendrils with this. Normally, they try to cast as much spell as they can, but sometimes they can't do more than the exact damage to kill you and/as they have Tendrils in hand already for any reason (happened twice to me in the five rounds I had against ANT, so not that infrequent).
    So, this may let you survive about 1/10th of the time, if nothing more...

But yeah, try to hit the Tutor or the Wish instead.
    I would rather counter ponder, or tutor effects vs storm. It os usually enough to beat them.
    (been playing storm for 3 years, so i can tell xp)

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

So the full set has been released and I highly doubt any of the Goblins are playable. The 1R first striker could have been good, but of course being a red card it had to be fucking miserable.

Warping Wail on the other hand feels VERY promising to me. We've had some good discussion on the Goblins facebook page and opinions are divided but I am definitely a fan. Mode 1 is bananas against DnT (the consensus on the dnt thread is that it's excellent against them), but the "counter target combo spell" mode is definitely what is making this very playable IMO.

While it's not going to make us 100% favoured against combo decks, this one card absolutely has the potential to change the Elves matchup in our favour, as modes 1 and 2 are both fucking bonkers against them and it wil buys us time to get Sharpshooter online. It also stops the bullshit "NO -> Progenitals" win that they're fond of doing in games 2 and 3.

I'm prepared to be wrong, but I think this card is going to help bring us back to relevancy. I don't know what the sideboard will look like, but I know that I will have the wail as a 4 of in my sideboard as soon as I can get my hands on a foil playset.

Current WIP sideboard is looking like

4 Warping Wail
    2 Sudden Demise
    2 Pyrokinesis
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tin Street
    1 Stingscourger
    2 X

The 4 "sweepers" might even be unnecessary thanks to the removal mode on Wail which opens up so many spots. I have no concrete evidence yet, but to say that I am excited is an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Jan 2014
    Québec

So no worthy goblin in the set...

And excepting for Warping Wail, pretty much nothing is worth considering for the deck...

Welp.

And since we're going to Innistrad next, we're not getting any new gobbo for another year, barring a new Commander set or the like...

Yay.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Warping Wail seems just a little too cute for us. MUD and 12Post will love it, but it doesn't do much for us. Sudden Shock seems better most of the time. I was never a fan of keeping R open for REB against SnT, much less 2 open for WW.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

I played a tournament today, or rather, I played two rounds.

I was expecting a lot of combo, and wanted to try out a triple EWS list. This is the list I put together on the spot.

4 Aether Vial
    4 Goblin Lackey
    1 Skirk Prospector
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Goblin Piledriver
    1 Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
    4 Goblin Warchief
    3 Earwig Squad
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter

3 Tarfire
    2 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Warren Weirding

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    3 Badlands
    5 Snow-Covered Mountain
    2 Arid Mesa
    3 Bloodstained Mira
    2 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

Those of you who remember my earlier lists will remember that I've often played some form of combo hate/disruption maindeck (more specifically CotV or Cabal Therapy). The combo matchups are the ones where I've found I want to have the most dedicated hate cards, and playing some disruption maindeck that also has utility versus other decks helps save precious sideboard space. Playing Multiple Earwig Squads solves this problem without making our Ringleaders worse.
    With the extra EWS:s maindeck I could shave a discard spell from the sideboard, giving me space to try out Pithing Needle. With SFM not being as prevalent anymore, I don't think it's worth it to dedicate more than one slot to artifact hate. Still, those decks are going to be packing multiple equipments. Needle is a nice compromise in that it fills other purposes as well. More importantly though, it helps shore up very specific weaknesses in several matchups.
    We can usually outgrind Miracles through Terminus, and EWS can protect us from Entreat the Angels. Izzet Staticaster on the other hand, while being only a one-of, is a card that has proven to be very difficult to answer/beat in my experience. Needle can be that answer when I need it to, and when I don't, both Top and Jace are excellent targets.
    Versus Infect it stops Inkmoth Nexus. While we do have additional removal for Inkmoth in the form of Wasteland (and in some lists Port), our most common removal spells are both damage based. That is fine versus their other creatures, because you can just burn them on your own turn. Not so much with Inkmoth Nexus.

R1 Infect 0-2
    In game one I got a Sharpshooter online and killed two hierarchs, but other than that I only had a Vial and a bunch of lands. My opponent had an Inkmoth Nexus and a Tropical Island in play, and had missed a land drop. I drew an Earwig Squad, and decided to attack with Sharpshooter to enable it. Sharpshooter isn't nearly as good against Inkmoth as it is against their other creatures. While I could have simply passed, odds are my opponent simply needed to draw lands or Invigorates to beat me. EWS took care of three Invigorates, and I felt a little safer. With Sharpshooter tapped down, my opponent started to knickle and dime me with Inkmoth, while I was swinging for five a turn. Unfortunately my draws after that weren't too great, and I died with my opponent on two life.
    G2 I kept the following hand:
    2 Lands, Needle, Blood Moon, Pyrokinesis, Gempalm Incinerator, Krenko.
    T1: Needle
    Opp T1: Nonbasic, Hierarch.
    T2: Draw and play Vial
    Opp T2: Nonbasic Land, Viridian Corruptor hitting Needle. I pyrokinesis pitching Krenko, and my opponent used Invigorate on the corruptor.
    T3: I fail to topdeck a third land for Blood Moon and my opponent kills me on their next turn.

While I did lose, the games felt very tight and could easily have swung either way.

R2 Burn 0-2
    G1 we were off to a race. I matroned for a Piledriver at one point, knowing it would give me lethal next turn if I drew a Warchief. I did not, and my opponent drew a burn spell to finish me off.
    G2 my opponent mulliganed to six. I played a t1 lackey that was met with a burn spell. On turn two I therapied a Bolt away, and deployed a Vial. I followed that up on t3 with a MWM, flashbacking Therapy, naming Fireblast rather than Forked Bolt. From there on my opponent and I drew a lot of lands (I think he ended up on seven?). At one point I vialed in a Piledriver on my opponent's eot when he didn't have mana to cast the Searing Blaze I knew about in his hand. I topdecked a Therapy to save my Piledriver, and some life points. A turn later I drew MWM and flashbacked therapy, blind against a two card hand. I figured my opponent would have cast any instants in response, but could have kept sorcery speed burn spells in case I drew something he needed to remove. The choice then was between Rift Bolt, Chain Lightning and Exquisite Firecraft. I went for Rift Bolt since my opponent had just jammed the last Firecraft he drew, and Chain Lightning can be redirected, as well as it being weaker to Chalice. My opponent revealed a hand of Firecraft and Searing Blaze.
    I kept beating with my two tokens for a few turns. This is where I misplayed. I drew a Warchief that I chose to keep in hand, completely forgetting that my opponent needed to trigger landfor for Searing Blaze to deal with it. G2 ended in a similar way to G1, with my opponent being hellbent and me having lethal in play, but being dead to a burn spell.

I'm not sure, but I might have won had I played the Warchief (although I would still have had to fight through a G3 in a matchup that is much tougher on the draw).

Despite losing, I felt fairly happy about the list. And while I did make at least one misplay and in retrospect sideboarded suboptimally in both matches I learned a lot, especially with regards to my sideboarding. I have gotten more disciplined and realistic with my sideboarding - better at evaluating what really matters in a matchup.

I didn't really get a feel for the three Earwig Squads build, other than that I didn't draw a bunch of clunky hands, which was one of the things I was worried about. I look forward to testing it further, specifically to see how well it performs in the matchups where it's supposed to be good (Storm and Miracles).

As always, feedback and advice on my plays and list is very much appreciated.

Jan 2014
    STL

Had a good FNM this week. Went 4-0 with my mono Red list:

4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Warchief
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    2 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Lightning Crafter
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Stingscourger

4 AEther Vial
    1 Chrome Mox
    3 Tarfire

4 Wasteland
    2 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    11 Mountain

SB:

4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Ashen Rider

Game 1: Show and Tell
    He had the turn 1 Show and Tell. He had a Griselbrand, I had Kiki-Jiki into Stingscourger off a chrome mox and a Cavern. 1-0
    Next game he had a turn 2 Show and Tell I had an Ashen Rider to eat Emrakul and get in for beats. 2-0'd that match up.

Game 2: Death and Taxes
    Game one I had Ancient Tomb into double Vial and I just out tempo'd him. 1-0
    Game two lead with Mom into Thalia, and bounced my Vial with Flickerwisp. I had double Sulfur Elementals to wipe his board and keep him off of anything else he might play. Solid card! 2-0 again.

Game 3: Miracles
    Game one I ran him out of answers with Matrons and Ringleaders, easy game. 1-0
    Game two was the same thing but he couldn't answer triple piledriver on a crucial turn. I guess he couldn't find a Terminus in time. It's our best match up other than MUD in my experience so no surprise here, another 2-0.

Game 4: ANT
    Game one he knows I'm on Goblins and feels safe to "go off" and drops to 3 off of an Ad Nauseum on turn 3, I only win because I had double Tarfire in hand. He had to read the card several times and got a bit salty about not playing around "some fringe-played bull crap." 1-0
    Game 2 he does some stuff and I turn one a Thorn, then I put on the beats, drop him pretty low and eat his basic Island on turn 4, I think he got mana screwed or something because he scooped and looked upset. Another easy 2-0.

Honestly didn't expect to go 2-0 a Storm deck but that was a lucky match! In the end I won 10 packs and opened nothing... But it goes to show that Goblins can still wreck an unprepaired meta!

I have been messing with both Goblins and D&T recently and I just have to say that I enjoy talking to Goblin players about the deck building than D&T players. D&T is a fun deck and all, but people are too rigid with their building. (I know there are reasons why!)

So thanks! :)

What does everybody think about putting phantasmal image in the SB to beat sneak show? Aggressively mulliganing to it game 2.

I feel like pithing needle will get force'd most of the time.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by sampi View Post
    What does everybody think about putting phantasmal image in the SB to beat sneak show? Aggressively mulliganing to it game 2.

I feel like pithing needle will get force'd most of the time.
    A terrible idea because it doesn't work the way you think it works. The card you're looking for is Gilded Drake.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Haven't been here for a while, and was wondering about Sideboards.

My current SB for mono red Winstigator

3 x Pyrokenesis (Elves etc)
    4 x Chalice of the Void, (Storm)
    3 x Thorn of Amethyst, (Storm)
    1 x Tin Street Hooligan, (Artifacts)
    1 x Tuk Tuk Scrapper, (Artifacts)
    1 x Goblin Sharpshooter, (Elves etc)
    2 x Boartusk Liege (Engineered Plague)

Of course I also want to fit in Relics of Progenitus etc for Graveyard Hate, and maybe Pithing Needles for flexibility. Not really thinking about REB.

What are the most needed according to the current Legacy meta? I've been out of the loop for a while.

Thanks for your help.

Thread Information