Page 502 of 509 FirstFirst ... 2402452492498499500501502503504505506 ... LastLast
Results 10,021 to 10,040 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiesquisher View Post
    Went 3-1 at FNM last night. Won some matches I honestly shouldn't have just due to people being so unfamiliar with the deck.

List:
    4 Lackey
    4 Matron
    4 Warchief
    4 Ringleader
    3 War Marshal
    3 Piledriver
    2 Gempalm
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Prospector
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tin Street
    1 Krenko
    1 Siege-Gang

3 Tarfire
    4 Vial

4 Cavern
    4 Wasteland
    4 Port
    4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Taiga
    6 Mountain

SB:
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tinstreet
    3 Relic
    4 Chalice
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

Match 1 I got a bye.

Match 2 vs Burn:
    He got me with double Fireblast and a Vortex. Game 2 I had an early start with Lackey into Siege-gang. He didnt know the match up so that carried me to game 3. I dropped a Vial, then a Chalice for 1 and a thorn on turn 3, that plus Port kept him out the game entirely.
    2-1

Match 3 vs ANT:
    Game one he goes first and kills me turn 1, nothing to do about it. Game 2 I get a fast clock with turn 1 Lackey, turn 2 Port to keep him down and Lackey gets me a Krenko. Turn 3 I drop a Thorn and a free Warchief off of Lackey, make some dudes with Krenko and kill him next turn with Piledriver. Game 3 he goes first, draw pass. I play a Lackey and a Chalice for 0. He casts a Probe and sees another Chalice and a Thorn. So he scoops it up. I guess he couldn't beat it.
    2-1

Match 4 vs Shardless BUG
    I hate these games... I'm 3-0, hes 2-1. Game one I'm on the draw and I get an early lackey hit to drop Krenko and I kill him in 4 turns. Nothing fancy. Game 2 it starts to go south. I find out later he brings in 3 Toxic Deluge, 3 Golgari Charms and a single copy of Engineered Plague. I just bring in the Pyrokinesis' and Relics. He gets a Deathrite, I shock it with Tarfire. He plays a land and hymns me. I waste him. He plays a land and suspends a Visions, I draw more lands... The game went south from there. Game 3 after several turns he has board wiped me 3 times is on 3 lands 1 card in hand and a Visions with 2 counters on it. I have 4 lands a vial with 3 and a vial with 4. He top decks Shardless into Goyf, I draw lands and Vials for 5 turns. I seriously hate that deck.
    1-2

I ended up 3-1 (if you can even count the bye) and got 3 packs. At least I beat ANT and Burn though. Does anyone have some tips on beating the 5 people playing Shardless at my store? I'm willing to just main deck Blood Moon at this point.
    i've had some luck with a list that was shared with me a few months ago, it's not very traditional though:

7 Red Fetch
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    3 Badlands
    3 Mountains
    2 Pendelhaven
    4 Aether Vials
    4 Tarfire
    1 Warren Wierding
    2 Pyrokinesis
    4 Goblin Lackey
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Warren Instigator
    2 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
    4 Goblin Matron
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

SB
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Magus of the Moon
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Thorn of Amethysth
    1 Chains of Mephistopholes
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Jitte

i won a lot of games vs shardless b/c of the magus of the moon out of the sb. they don't have many outs to it if you can keep their DRS off the board.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiesquisher View Post
    Went 3-1 at FNM last night. Won some matches I honestly shouldn't have just due to people being so unfamiliar with the deck.

I ended up 3-1 (if you can even count the bye) and got 3 packs. At least I beat ANT and Burn though. Does anyone have some tips on beating the 5 people playing Shardless at my store? I'm willing to just main deck Blood Moon at this point.

I splash blk for perish sb and ear wig /grenzo main. Earwig comes out perish and Krosen grips come in for me. I choose either chalice or thorn for my combo hate ... Right now I'm at 1 perish sb and a 2nd sharpshooter in sb I feel like I want and 2nd perish over the 2nd sharpshooter...

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

NerdRage Games - 1k - Chicago Area Event

Hello again everyone. I just came back from a 97 man Legacy... thing.. hosted by NerdRage Games. $1000 in prizes spread throughout the top 8.

7 Rounds, and a cut to the top 8. Let's get to it.

My List

Main
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Wooded Foothills
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Mountain
    1 Taiga
    1 Plateau
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Goblin Lackey
    1 Skirk Prospector
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    2 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Tin Street Hooligan
    1 Stingscourger
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Warchief
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Tarfire

Side
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Pyrokinesis
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Wear // Tear

Round 1 - David on Reanimator
    Game 1
    I win the die roll and keep, my opponent keeps as well. I jam a Mountain into Aether Vial. He retorts with Polluted Delta. I tick my Vial and attempt to pass, he simply Entombs an Iona, Shield of Emeria. That's bad, but I have a Stingscourger in hand. He starts up his turn by casting Reanimate. I cast a Goblin Pildriver and bounce his Iona mid combat on his turn. It goes downhill for him from there, as none of my spells are counter able thanks to Aether Vial and Cavern of Souls .

Sideboard
    +4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, +3 Relic of Progenitus, +2 Pithing Needle, +1 Stingscourger, +1 Grafdigger's Cage
    -3 Goblin Ringleader, -3 Tarfire, -2 Mogg War Marshal, -2 Gempalm Incinerator, -1 Goblin Sharpshooter

Game 2
    He mulls and bottoms his card, I keep my 7. For some reason my notes are really detailed here.

He lays a fetch.
    I cast a Goblin Lackey off of a Mountain.
    He casts Ponder, shuffling. Lotus Petal, fetch, Jace, Vyrn's Prodigy.
    I cast Thalia, Guardian of Thraben off of a Cavern of Souls.
    He discards a Tidespout Tyrant to Jace, and Reanimatess it with another land from hand.
    I Stingscourger the Tidespout Tyrant, and bash for 3 (Lackey, Thalia). I trigger Goblin Lackey and put in another Stingscourger bouncing his Jace.
    He finds a Bayou off of a fetch and casts Jace again.
    I don't pay the echoes floating, and draw a Gempalm Incinerator. I attack. I'm not sure why he let it hit, but sure, whatever, I'll take it. I put in Goblin Piledriver and cycle the Gempalm on his Jace.
    He goes deep in the tank, and eventually forfeits.

1-0

Round 2 - Justin on Bug Delver
    Game 1
    We keep, and I win the die roll. I jam an Aether Vial and it gets Force of Willed, exiling Delver of Secrets. I get some 1/1 beats going, trading out with more Delver of Secrets as he fears my slowly growing Piledriver. I kill a Deathrite Shaman with a Tarfire to keep the pressure going as well. I get Thoughtseized on a critical turn removing me of my only card in hand, Goblin Matron. I wiff that draw step, and he jams a 6/7 Tarmogoyf. I eventually succumb to it due to a poor choice in line. A few turns of blocking Goyf with a Delver hitting me eventually put's me at 4 and I top deck another Goblin matron. I straight up missed that I had lethal. I didn't want to just attempt to Tarfire him as he had 3 cards in hand and could counter it (he's at 1). He had a blocker at that point. I simply didn't see Matron into Matron into Goblin Warchief, bash for lethal, leaving a blocker behind. I instead due a much dumber line of clogging the ground ending with a Matron in hand. I get Hymn to Tourached and die in 2 turns.

Sideboard
    On the play I board:
    +3 Relic of Progenitus, +2 Pyrokinesis
    -2 Goblin Piledriver, -1 Tarfire, -1 Stingscourger, -1 Goblin Sharpshoooter

Game 2
    I keep, and he mulls, topping his card. I then proceed to play terribly. I miss a ton of micro interactions in this game. Simply forgetting to activate Relic of Progenitus at his end of turn, and sequencing lands poorly. Thankfully I didn't get punished for my misdeeds, and eventually took it with a large number of Goblin Ringleaders and Goblin Piledrivers.

Sideboard
    On the draw I board:
    +3 Relic of Progenitus, +3 Pyrokinesis
    -4 Goblin Lackey, -1 Tarfire, -1 Stingscourger

Game 3
    I keep a hand that can deal with multiple Goyf's and Deathrites. I get Delvered. I should have respected a Delver a bit more in a Delver deck while it's on the play. I don't remember much about this match, other than getting hit 5 or so times by Delver and getting finished off with Deathrite Shaman helping.

1-1

Round 3 - Erik on UR Delver
    Erik was a fun guy to talk to, but was very new to Legacy.

Game 1
    I mulligan and top a land, and he keeps. Erik is on the Play. I immediately take 1 from Basic Land into Monastery Swiftspear. All right, I got 2 Tarfire, we can do this. I spend my turn Tarfiring it, getting Forced. He hit's me for 2 with Stormchaser Mage entering the fray. I cast Aether Vial with a mana up to play around Daze if it's there. I then Tarfire his Swiftspear again, which resolves. This game is really close, as he twice bolts my creatures in response to Gempalm targeting a Delver of Secrets. All the while being chunked for 1 and 2 in the air by Stormchaser as well. I simply outrace him on the ground as he draws lands at this point.

Sideboard
    +3 Pyrokinesis
    -1 Tarfire, -1 Stingscourger, -1 Goblin Sharpshooter

I would normally not board out the Goblin Sharpshooter here, but something told me he wasn't running Young Pyromancer. I ended up being right, go.. instinct? In the future I'll try to be less risky and git rid of pretty much any other card. It didn't feel greedy at the time, but in hindsight is sure as hell looks it.

Game 2
    We keep our 7s and he kicks it off with basic Island, pass. I lead on Vial, and he forces it exiling Gitaxian Probe. I get hit in the air for several turns by Stormchaser Mage while my and his kill spells trade with smaller butts among our forces. I eventually blow him the hell out from 2 life with Vial in a Matron, into Vial in a Siege-Gang with a Skirk Prospector out. Good times were had.

2-1

Round 4 - Greg on UR Delver
    Greg was quiet all game, and appeared to get inwardly tilted due to a number of things, one of which was not exactly knowing how my deck worked.

Game 1
    I win the Die Roll and lead on Lackey. He Probes and simply Forked Bolts Lackey and me off of a Mountain. I am now surprised to face the exact same deck twice in a row, and happy, as this match is very winnable. I get hit by a Delver for a couple of turns before turning the corner with very aggressive Piledrivers and Warchieves. He manages to push my resources out pretty hard, but my deck is better at grinding than him and he is eventually buried in goblins again.

Sideboard
    +3 Pyrokinesis
    -2 Tarfire, -1 Stingscourger

Game 2
    I mulligan to 6, with a 1 lander: Mountain, Vial, Lackey, Lackey, Matron, Gempalm. He mulligans to 5 and puts a Delver into play. I assume he drew very well due to his mulligan, but I got Double Dazed and Bolted out of this game. He eventually got Young Pyromancer out and went to town.

Sideboard
    +4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    -4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

If I don't board, I always pretend I do and make it look like I'm moving cards around.

Game 3
    This game ground hard right off the bat and all of our threats died to kill spells. Then the ground got gummed up. He started to gain an edge with Young Pyro and a Delver, but on a critical turn I Gempalmed his Delver away, drawing Pyrokinesis, using it exiling Ringleader to kill Young Pyromancer and 2 of his tokens, leaving him with just Swiftspear. I won in 2 turns with Tarfire to face.

3-1

Round 5 - Steven on Death and Taxes
    I found Steven to be an enjoyable character who was a very quick player.

Game 1
    I win the die roll and we both keep. Mountain, Lackey, Pass. Plains, Swords to Plowshares, pass. I get Skirk Prospector and Goblin Sharpshooter active by turn 4, but I have nothing but lands, 1 of which is a Rishadan Port. He eventually plays an Umezawa's Jitte to which I Tin Street Hooligan. I hit him for 3 til he's down to 10, and eventually just find a Piledriver to finish him.

Sideboard
    +3 Pyrokinesis, +2 Pithing Needle, +1 Wear // Tear
    -2 Tafire, -2 Goblin Piledriver, -1 Mogg War Marshal, -1 Stingscourger

I am not sure on how I boarded, but I'm pretty sure it was this terrible mess you see before you. I changed by board before this event pretty noticeably, and simply hadn't thought about how it would be different against D&T. Obviously the cards I'm bringing in are fine, it's the ones I'm taking out on the Play. I have to qualms with on the draw, the Lackey's come out there.

Game 2
    I Mulligan and top it, and he mulligans twice and tops it. My notes show a lackey getting Swords pretty early. I remember dying to something holding Sword of War and Peace, while I had 2 Pithing Needles on Sword of Fire and Ice and Umezawa's Jitte with Tin Street Hooligan destroying Batterskull. He was prepared for this, so I died.

Sideboard
    +3 Pyrokinesis, +2 Pithing Needle, +1 Wear // Tear
    -4 Goblin Lackey, -1 Stingscourger, -1 Tarfire

Game 3
    We both keep, and according to my notes he went from 20, to 18, to 8, to 5, 3, 2 Tarfire. I remember a lot of Piledriving. I did critically name Stoneforge Mystic with my Needle.

4-1
    That was a train wreck of boarding plans. I'll work on that.

Round 6 - Simon on Enchantress
    Simon mentioned being a Goblins fan himself, but hasn't run it in about a year.

Game 1
    I kept my 7 and won the die roll, he mulled twice and topped his card. I ran him over pretty hard with Lackey and friends. There was a moment where he cast Solitary Confinement as a fog, and then Elephant Grass as some fogs, but eventually succumbed to Port + beats.

Sideboard
    +4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, +1 Wear // Tear
    -3 Tarfire, -1 Stingscourger, -1 Gempalm Incinerator

Game 2
    See game 1.

Bonus Round Modern Aggro-vine versus Elves
    That was in and out in 13 or so minutes so we played a round of Modern. I then ruined his chances of having a good game by losing terribly twice in a row. This does not beat Elves.. pretty much, that's it. It just kind of doesn't.

5-1 - I can't ID, so off we go.

Round 7 - Ben on Death and Taxes
    We got a feature match. If any of you were watching, I'm so sorry. I played pretty terribly right about halfway through our game 1... and on. That's what I get for 3 hours of sleep :/ .

Game 1

I'll wait till they post it, and just link to it. I'm sure the camera is better than my memory. Please accept that I sucked 0-2.

Edit: Here it is at 6:13~

5-2 - 10th place

Unorganized Conclusions
    I apparently need to play against D&T to re-remember how to board. Derp. I was unprepared in this aspect.

I was on the Play a lot, and it was great. Six out of seven rounds to be precise.

I was expecting more Reanimator as EMA made it easier to build. Only saw the 1. Additionally I was told there were a number of Storm players and at least 2 miracles players. Those were not the numbers I was expecting at all.

My side and main were nearly perfect. I want another Tin Street Hooligan somewhere.. I remember now why I used to run 2.

Pokemon Go is super popular everywhere I go. In the game store, at the restaurants nearby, etc.

I did not play my best the entire day, and I think I can attribute it to lack of sleep. My sleep schedule is messed up due to recently being unemployed, so getting up at 7 to drive there was a bit like laying in bed for 4 hours and sleeping for 3 non contiguous hours AND then getting in the car.

My buddy got 11th with Sultai Nic Fit, so Solidarity all the way.

Anyway, thanks for reading, I'm done for the night.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    omg the commentary its just so bad.
    Edit: and in that Sharpshooter play, as soon as the Warchief died, Sharpshooter lost haste, and would not be able to kill Batterskull germ.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    omg the commentary its just so bad.
    Edit: and in that Sharpshooter play, as soon as the Warchief died, Sharpshooter lost haste, and would not be able to kill Batterskull germ.
    Oh I was playing bad there, I gave a warning. It was embarrassing.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Some highlights from my 5-2 record last week...

Manaless Dredge
    G1 on the Play (Didn't realize he was Manaless while scouting, otherwise it would be correct to be on the draw)
    T1 I play Lackey, he DDDs GGT. T2 I put in Sharpshooter off Lackey and cast MWM. T2 he dredges into recursion creatures and bridge, but no Narcomeaba. T3 i don't pay MWM trigger, killing Bridge and dealing 1 damage with Sharpshooter. From there, having an active sharpshooter keeps him from doing anything meaningful the rest of the game. Return Shadow or Ichorid in upkeep? Kill them before draw. Dredge into Bridge? Sharpshooter one of my Mogg tokens. Dredge into Narc in Draw? Kill them before main phase. Never let him get three creatures on the board at once for Dread return. I was able to Prowl in Earwig T3 and just removed all his bombs (Flamekin Zealot, Flayer of the hatebound.. something else) W! It aint easy beating Manaless G1.

Cloudpost
    G3 on the play. I kept a 1 land hand with lackey and Skirk. Lackey cheats in a Piledriver and I cast the Skirk T2, still one land. T2 opponent gets a Tabernacle out. I sack Piledriver to pay for Lackey and tap land to pay for skirk. Attack with both. The game goes on with me eventually landing a Chieftain and sacking MWM tokens to pay for Tabernacle. Skirk saved my butt this game. Opponent gains some life off Glimmerpost. Time is called in the round. I attack my opponent down to 5 life with Skirk + Chieftain, Badlands untapped. I sack Cheiftain and skirk to Prowl in Earwig Squad, removing the other Glimmerposts and Vesuvas from their deck. Next turn they draw dead and I swing with Earwig for exactsies next turn.

Painter - Used Skirk + Sharpshooter to kill his first Painter. Those two cards are such a powerful coupling. Unfortunately I was 1 creature short from killing Painter number 2.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Do you guys feel like upping the number of K. Grips for battling moat?

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by owerbart View Post
    Do you guys feel like upping the number of K. Grips for battling moat?
    That depends on what other applications you are seeing for K.Grip. I don't see any, which is why I would suggest to battle Moat with Earwiq Squad instead (this would at the same time plug all relevant winconditions in the same turn - that is, if we are talking about the Miracles MU).
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    That depends on what other applications you are seeing for K.Grip. I don't see any, which is why I would suggest to battle Moat with Earwiq Squad instead (this would at the same time plug all relevant winconditions in the same turn - that is, if we are talking about the Miracles MU).
    And a 4 Wasteland, 4 Port build. And Needle o Top so they don't find their 1off 4drop double W card. If they manage to resolve it, well, SGC them.
    Don't see Grip being a good SB card now.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I've only run into Moat about four times in the seven years I've played competitive legacy. Unless you're in an extremely narrow meta I wouldn't worry about it.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

I've fought against Moat only once, about ten years ago. Won on the back of SGC, Sharpshooter, and Prospector. No need to rely heavy on a Disenchant-effect.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

As always I seem to go against your guys average trend. I upped my Wear // Tear count to 2. Half of the reason is Moat, the other half is my local meta is D&T heavy.

Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

As always I seem to go against your guys average trend. I upped my Wear // Tear count to 2. Half of the reason is Moat, the other half is my local meta is D&T heavy.
    Two seems resonable.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

I'm in the same boat as you. Krosan Grip is just too hard to cast against dnt (thalia, needing green) so I'm on 2 wear/tears for the same reasons as you are.

The best we can do with wear/tear againt miracles is to always fuse it to get around countertop if it's in play.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Apr 2010
    Germany

Hello fellow Chieftains,

I started testing cards lately and wanted to share my views on Sensation Gorger.

Background: I wanted to fix one issue of the Winstigator list, which was being 'hellbent' relatively frequently, especially against decks playing Hymn to Tourarch and /or Liliana of the Veil.
    I put 2 copies of Sensation Gorger in a Winstigator list and Gave it a spin. Here is what I found (Spoiler: results May not come as a surprise):

After some testing games (mostly against Shardless BUG) I find Sensation Gorger not good enough.
    It's mainly because it's too swingy - sometimes you Profit much more from the card by discarding 0 and drawing 4 Juicy cards. But on other ocassions your opponent just draws 2 tarmogoyf +X, or fetchland + brainstorm +X to find relevant stuff.
    I can’t really tell when it's profitable to use it's ability. This Adds more variance to a decklist that's already more prone to losing to the left side of the Gaussian curve than other builds.

This little exercise, however, reminded me of the importance of manacheating (Chrome Mox and Winstigator in this case). This is definitely an Element that Fell short in my latest 'classic' list. While I think that the 'port-wasteland'-Version can't support Winstigators, it should be able to support 1 or 2 Chrome Moxen. Also, Warchief and Frogtosser Banneret come to mind. Especially the latter looks interesting to me as it falls into the cmc2 Slot of the manacurve - where the actual 'ramping' is needed. That is, if I want to cast Matron and more importantly: Ringleader one turn earlier, Warchief doesn’t really help me.

Questions and comments are - as always - appreciated.
    I will update the OP soon, including moving Sensation Gorger to 'Already tested, bad cards'. That is , unless someone else has had different fundamentally different experiences with Sensation Gorger.
    Last edited by GoboLord; 08-04-2016 at 03:54 AM.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Yeah, Sensation Gorger just isn't good enough for Legacy.

I played last weekend, going 1-2-1 at a 60 player local tourney. I beat the mirror, lost to Storm and Aggro Loam, and drew against Aggro Loam. My draw against Aggro Loam should have been a Win. I was on my way to victory but the clock ran out. I learned that Leyline of the Void is pretty powerful against Aggro Loam and really shuts them down. They need to recur Loam, P Fire, and they need to grow Knight. Taking out their graveyard just shuts down their value engine and they're left being a much-worse Maverick. In both Loam matched I tried boarding Blood Moon + Relic G2, and only brought in Leyline G3. Relic was OK, but Leyline would have been better. Blood Moon is actually pretty bad against Aggro Loam since they have basics and Mox Diamond to mana fix, and they mostly use their lands to do fair things. It is a tough MU since there isn't a super clear line to hose them. They can go for a grind with Loam and P Fire Recursion. They can just go for beats with Knight and just play a mid-range game. And they can go for Dark Depths blowouts.

I've got another tourney this Sunday. I think I'll rock Goblins again and try to get a little deeper this tourney.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Pablo Gil does it again! I noticed last year that this guy just keeps winning. Here's the list that just won him 3rd out of 109 players last month...
    http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=21156&iddeck=161857

Creatures [35]

1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Legion Loyalist
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    2 Boartusk Liege
    2 Stingscourger
    3 Goblin Piledriver
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    4 Goblin Warchief

Artifacts [4]

4 Aether Vial
    Lands [21]

2 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    11 Mountain

Sideboard
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Pyrokinesis
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

This is basically the same decklist he's been placing with for the past 2 years. He's only made minor changes to the sideboard. I like the list, though I'm surprised by the low land count and the high curve. Super generic sideboard though, but that's often what we need since we can't run 1-ofs like Brainstorm decks can.

Here are a few things I find interesting about the build...
    Manabase - He plays fewer lands than I have been (I've been rocking 23) but he plays wayyy more basics than I do (11 vs 3) and no fetches. This gives him a built-in hedge against Wastelock and DRS.
    Bombs - I play 1 Krenko MD and that's my only Bomb. Pablo plays Krenko, Kiki Jiki, and 2 Liege. I think the intention is just to grind out G1 with more creatures than your opponent can deal with. The later the game goes, the more powerful these bombs become.
    Removal - Only 6 pieces and they're super slow (4 Gem, 2 Sting). He also has Tuktuk Main and Sharpshooter which both provide a lot of value in certain MUs, despite being of marginal value in most MUs. I dig 2 Stingscourgers main. I used to run 2 main and they were great. Opponents never see the second one coming. Still, the lack of removal means Pablo plays a very slow, grindy G1. He's not looking to overwhelm the board with Lackey cheats. He's looking to hardcast most of his stuff in the midgame. If Lackey gets through that's just luck.
    2 Leige - Seems good for the late-game grind.
    Loyalist - I never liked this card, but again, it seems decent with 2 Leige giving pumps, and it's a token-heavy format.
    I could see running this list but cutting Loyalist and 1 Leige for the Skirk/ Lightning Crafter combo to give us the combo win.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Two Boartusk Liege (with the potential to have 4 on board counting Kiki-Jiki) is a very strong point of this particular list. 2 two lieges next to each other means that your opponent has to deal with two 5/6ers. This is quite an unusual angle of attack for goblins, as we are counting on quantity over quality.

/*Edit: not to mention that these 5/6ers have trample.*/

If I were to Adapt elements of this list, it would certain be those 3 cards as they generate a lot of quality with few resources.
    I have mixed feeling about the low Land count to say the least.
    @Jon: I didnt perceive the format as token-heavy, but now that you mention it, Legion Loyalist does make sense.

I can see the list profiting from 2 Pendelhaven (in addition to - or instead of - 2 Rishadan Port). They also provide colored mana for Boartusk Liege.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I copied the Pablo Gil list and brought it to a local tourney yesterday. Went 2-3 with it! Rough day. His list and manabase is built for grindy MUs and that must be his meta. I played against Merfolk 2-1, Enchantress 2-1, UR Painter 1-2, UR Painter 1-2, and Burn 0-2. Rough stuff. It really highlights how meta-dependent success with Goblins is. I am now 3-5-1 over my last two tourneys. Pretty bad standings there. 4 of those losses were to combo decks (ANT, Painter x2, Burn).

Goblin Grenade

I realise the reason some of you play with Tarfire is because Ringleader can fetch it, but I'd like to know why Grenade is generally shunned?
    I mean, it kills a Goyf and just about most perms we care about, and 5 damage to the face is pretty handy, all for 1cmc.

Anyone?

Thread Information