Page 142 of 509 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192242 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Re: [Deck] Vial Goblins 2.0

Okay, well I meant run both moreso. I see what you're saying.

Either way, you're paying and whether naming Sneak Attack or Grizzy, you're shutting down half their options in one play. It almost seems like a "why wouldn't you" thing.
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Jackass View Post
    Am I missing something, why can't you just bring in pithing needle/revoker on top of scourger?
    We can. I'm playing some Revokers on the SB right now, because they can be a pain for some storm combos too...

About beating SnT, I think we're one of the most well positioned decks to do that.
    I mean, even if they cast SnT for Grizzlebran T2, we still hame many good lines of play.
    1st: Mull to a Lackey. Preferably with Caverns of Souls. If you have a Lackey out when they SnT, you can do bunchs os stuff from SnT. Getting a SGC into play form SnT, then bouncing Grizzle your T2. Will they pay 7 life when you have lackey + SGC on board? It can even be a Chieftain or a Ringleader or Krenko. You'll do a bunch of dmg. And if they don't pay, you probably win, because they lost their dude and won nothing.
    Sneak Attack scares me more. Thats why imo Needle/Revoker are a good option imo.
    Thorn is also a great card against them. If you get it down T2, you bought yourself AT LEAST 1 turn, and that may be enough to win the game.

Hint: If you have lots of mana, you can cast uncounterable Revoker from Caverns =p
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Jul 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post

About beating SnT, I think we're one of the most well positioned decks to do that.
    I think so too. You still have to think about the inconsistency of these decks. They need a fatty and either SnT or Sneak and in case of Sneak they usually need also SnT or some heavy mana acceleration. Yeah I faced a turn 2 SnT and there is not a whole lot you can do, but this deck sometimes just goes into play around turn 4 or 5. You've almost won by that time. Racing this deck is just the best idea. Pastboard they might have firesprout or something, but you might be able to win game one and then you have 2 post-board games.

Warren Weirding is not a good option since it runs at sorcery speed. So the best play is to drop lackey turn 1 and follow up with Vial T2 and let it stay @2 so you can at least pretend to have stinger in Hand. Other than that I think two stingers main are not bad vs. the rest of the meta as well (thinking of Goyf/delver (RUG), Knight/Ooze (Maverick), Angel Tokens (Miracle control)).
    Gobbos: Kings of flavortext!

Jun 2012
    Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
    I think so too. You still have to think about the inconsistency of these decks. They need a fatty and either SnT or Sneak and in case of Sneak they usually need also SnT or some heavy mana acceleration. Yeah I faced a turn 2 SnT and there is not a whole lot you can do, but this deck sometimes just goes into play around turn 4 or 5. You've almost won by that time. Racing this deck is just the best idea. Pastboard they might have firesprout or something, but you might be able to win game one and then you have 2 post-board games.

Warren Weirding is not a good option since it runs at sorcery speed. So the best play is to drop lackey turn 1 and follow up with Vial T2 and let it stay @2 so you can at least pretend to have stinger in Hand. Other than that I think two stingers main are not bad vs. the rest of the meta as well (thinking of Goyf/delver (RUG), Knight/Ooze (Maverick), Angel Tokens (Miracle control)).
    i beated sneak and tell just with warren weirding, wastelands and rishadan ports, sometimes with stingscourger, so i think that weirding, also tutoreable, is good

Jul 2011
    Canada

Hey, got a question right here:
    Assuming I got a vial @2 and stinger in hand and my opponents plays a targetable creature. Does the following work: At the beginning of my upkeep the "may put counter on vial" trigger goes on the stack and I activate Vial for stinger to bounce his creature and then put a counter on vial, while I don't have to pay echo for stinger and can attack when I have or play a hast lord?
    This would let me use stinger as a body without paying echo and still let vial tick up.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Yes this works. But you will have to pay Echo on your next turn.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Both Vial and Stingscourger have a Triggered Abillitie, that triggers at the beggining of your upkeep. When the Upkeep starts, Vial's triggers goes to the stack, and you can respond that by tapping it and putting Stingscourger into play. Then the Vial trigger resolves, and you put another counter on it. How Stingscourger was not in play at the beggining of te upkeep, his trigger is only going to the stack on your next turn.

This kind of move leads you to a lot of optimized plays. For instance:
    You have a Vial @3, and one @2, with only a Ringleader on your hand.
    At your upkeep, both trigger, and you can let the Vial from 3 go to 4 counters. While the other is still on the stack, you may tap the one with 4 Counters to put Ringleader into play, looking the top4 and taking some goblins. Now you have more information to what you want to do with your second Vial. (ie. If you draw "only" Piledriver and MWM, you can leave at 2, or activete it for 2, then let the trigger resolve, going to 3).

This kind of effects are usefull when you have Sharpshooter into play. If you play Stingscourger + Shooter on the same turn, the next one your Sharpshooter you be able to kill a x/2 creature, because you can use it while Stingscourger trigger is on the stack.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    A list based on my own experience:

Maverick - Even
    Punishing Maverick - Bad
    U/W Blade - Good
    RUG - Bad
    TES/ANT - Very bad
    Rock - Even/Good
    High Tide - Bad
    Hive Mind - Bad/Very Bad
    Team America/BUG - Good
    U/W Miracle - Not sure yet...seems even/bad, but I haven't done much testing
    Dredge - Very bad/Bad
    Reanimator - Bad
    Ravager Affinity - Good
    Tezzeret Affinity - Very good
    Merfolk - Very good
    Show and Tell - Bad
    MUD - Even
    Painted Stone - Bad
    Armageddon Stax - Bad

Note my scale here:
    Very good - 70/30
    Good - 60/40
    Even - 50/50
    Bad - 40/60
    Very Bad - 30/70
    I don't really worry about MUs being BAD moreso than I worry about my opponents being Good. Like, the only BAD MUs for me historically are Storm Combo, cuz, ya know, that's not our game. But anything trying to put permanents in play is never that terrible. And you need to have a sideboard ready for your meta. That's more important than any Face-value assessment of the MU pre-board anyway. Remember, there's only 1 game pre-board. There are 2 games postboard. Having the right board wins MUs.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Jim Davis LIVE!
    http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...ianapolis.html

Edit: His game 3 is a perfect example how Lackey is good even against Canadian, even if drawn on turn 4 or so, like it was.
    And how Caverns is AWESOME!
    Great game.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I played in a little 8-man tourney today. It was fine, but I wasn't playing Goblins. I was playing Reanimator. I beat High Tide but lost to Hypergenesis and Lands. I felt that Goblins would have served me much better in the rounds I lost, and would have been even in the High Tide match too. Just sayin'. Maybe it's just my familiarity with the deck, but I don't see Goblins being weak for as little as it is appearing in top 8s right now.

Dec 2010
    Czech Republic

Here is list of Jim Davis from Invi, he ended up on 23rd place with record 6-2 in legacy.
    Interesting is that he went with full wasteland/port/cavern package which seems good for metage full of RUG, Esper blade etc, on the other hand that opens him to opposite wastelands...This list really similar to what I played about year ago(it's even similar with my actual deck) and I must say that combination of warchief, skirk and mwms can do some scary things. What I'm missing is at least one Chieftain as he is never bad draw. Dunno what to think about cage, I'm currently playing Leylines and relics, but could cage replace Leyline? After all we just need to slow these decks and being recastable or just castable (if you draw it) could make some difference...

4 Aether Vial

4 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    4 Goblin Warchief
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tin Street Hooligan

4 Snow-Covered Mountain
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Taiga
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tin Street Hooligan
    3 Pyrokinesis
    4 Red Elemental Blast

interesting that he finds worth splashing green only for TSH and no other card in the 75. It is probably a cavern of souls-driven choice. He plays 23 lands with Skirk Prospector and only one SGC.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Huge primer update done.
    Took me 3 days (several hours) of work.
    Hope you like it.
    *exhaustion*

//Edit: I will specify exactly what has been updated some time later.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Jul 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri8 View Post
    Here is list of Jim Davis from Invi, he ended up on 23rd place with record 6-2 in legacy.
    Interesting is that he went with full wasteland/port/cavern package which seems good for metage full of RUG, Esper blade etc, on the other hand that opens him to opposite wastelands...
    He used to play at least one Krosan Grip SB and now he got like 7 Blast Spells. I'd still prefer chalice but I dunno if spalshing Green for Taiga and Fetches serves better vs. RUG and stuff.
    It was interesing to see that many Merfolk lists again. Seems like Tribes are back on the rise and it's a good MU for us:D
    @Gobolord: Good job on updating the primer, really well done, thanks for that!

Apr 2007
    Somewhere in Germany

Hey,

today I went 41 in an 48-man-tournament, playing the list I posted and played last week.

1. round against Belcher: 1:2. I lost because in the third game, when he made EWT for ten, I could destroy all but 3 tokens while I was going down to one. I had 2 Goblins in play, 3 Lands in play and one in my hand. I drew Pyrokinesis. Each Goblincard would have had me won the game (had about 25 outs or something else).

2. round against Red Death: 2:0. Easy two games in which he gave me 4 lands with his Goblin Guide. (in the second game, I took 2 Mulligans, so his Guide was great for me!)

3. round against Staxx?! 2:0. I saw not that much, only cards like Crucible, City of Traitors, Golem etc. In the second game he started with Chalice 1, by a City of traitors and I did'nt saw my Cavern of Souls near my Lackey in hand

4. round against Nicfit: 2:0. In both games I made preasure and removal. In the first game I twice bounced him an Explorer for the win.

5. round against Maverick: 2:1. Here I lost game one because I took three mulligans and kept without a land with Vial and Lackey (Tarfire and SGC). I didn't draw a land in four turns and conceded. Game two was very easy (he didn't know, what I was playing and 2 Pyrokinesis made the win). In the third game a cleared the board except of an ooze with an anarchy before he played: Circle of Protection: Red !!! WTF!!! After that he played 2 Mother of Runes, a Jitte and searched his library for a Batterskull. But twice ringleadering into good 4 and 2 SGC later, he was dead!!!

6. round against Dredge: ID. We made a draw because he is a good player (won the Vintagetornament at Bazaar of Moxen in Annecy this year) and I was very tired. The game, we played just for fun, I won 2:1.

So I went 41 and ended up 6th place. Maverick won the Tournament and Belcher was second!

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Today there was a really big tournament, and 3 people played my exact list that I made a report in the Tournament Forum. 7 rounds. The worst was 5-2. The other 2 went to top 8, and ended on 1st and 2nd. Unfortunately I played Solidarity =/
    I think that list is pretty tight, and bearing 1 card md, and 3 sb, nothing to really complain.

@GobboLord. Thanks for the update. Will read when know what to read =]

@Jim Davis list: I saw him playing, and it was awesome, but lots of decisions don't really please me:
    - I can't see Goblins playing with at least 1 Tarfire. It's just awesome to be able to tutor for burn sometimes.
    - No Chieftain.
    - Grafdigger's Cage. It is just bad. I'd like to see someone with a different opinion, backs with in real games scenarios. As of now, I don't see them.
    - No Kiki-Jilki. It's just superb.
    That apart, Prospector is awesome there, and I'd like to squeeze one in my builds, even without 3-4 Warmarchalls.

@Pee-Dee-2: Congrats there. That game 3 against Maverick must have been awesome.

*I played goblins yesterday too, and did fairly well, beating Maverick, Punishing Maverick, BUG Tempo, Nic Fit, and losing to Splinter Twin and Reanimator.
    Against Nic Fit, I got to kill him in an awesome turn, where he had 13 creatures to block, and I got to attack with 20 dudes, dealing 21 dmg to him. That's how good Kiki is.
    To lazy to write a complete report =p

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Goblins in the Finals at SCG! Right Now!

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Goblins in the Finals at SCG! Right Now!
    thanks.

Dec 2011
    USA

YES! Goblins wins the finals !!!!!!!! first time I think since before mental misstep!
    Last edited by feline; 08-12-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Goblins Wins Indianapolis!

Well done Brad.

Thread Information