Page 300 of 509 FirstFirst ... 200250290296297298299300301302303304310350400 ... LastLast
Results 5,981 to 6,000 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

@sockosensei: good luck on Tuesday!

Aug 2012
    Japan

Match report - mono-red jrw1985 list

As promised, I took jrw1985's mono red list to the local shop again--the exact same 75 as last Tuesday.

Rd 1 vs Faerie (Reanimator) -- no clue what he's on. Promptly lose the die roll.

G1
    Opp keeps. I draw Mtn, Mtn, Lackey, Warchief, Matron, Gempalm, Pyrokinesis. Keep.
    Opp T1: Fetch-->U. Sea, pass.
    Gob T1: Draw Vial. I consider going Lackey thinking he has Spell Pierce, but on a hunch I play Vial. It resolves.
    O T2: Island, Bitterblossom.
    G T2: Tick Vial to 1. Draw Wasteland. Waste his Sea.
    My notes stop here, but I remember Lackey at his next EoT, Gempalm his on faerie token and Lackey swings through, bringing Warchief in. Subsequent turns involved us both building an army until I responded to a Vendilion Clique trigger (targeting me) by wiping his board with Pyrokinesis, swinging him down to 7 with another swing coming and Blossom sucking his life and hope.
    He draws and scoops.

Side: +1 Chieftain, play 61 cards.

G2
    Mull to 6, keeping Lackey, PD, PD, Gempalm, Mtn, Mtn.
    His T1 Thoughtseize grabs Lackey. I draw Gempalm, play mtn and pass.
    T2 he drops Blossom, then Forces my T2 Piledriver. He's already at 15 life thanks to Fetches. Notes stop, but I recall Port buying time to build an army before resolving Pyrokinesis. I swing him down to 3 and he scoops.
    He explains after that he had been Brainstorm digging for Entomb-->Elesh Norn to reanimate with Goryo's Vengeance in hand and wipe my board. I'd had no clue he had any graveyard elements at all.
    2-0 victory

1-0 in rounds.

Rd 2: vs Junk Blade.
    This is the guy that usually thumps me with Sneak & Show, but this time I caught a glimpse of a Scrubland and Thalia.
    I lose the roll.

G1:
    I keep Vial, MWM, Warchief, SGC, Port, Mtn, Mtn.
    His turns go something like this:
    T1 Thoughtseize grabbing Vial
    T2 SFM fetching Jitte
    T3 (Port on his Scrubland) DRS
    T4 Play Jitte, equip and swing.
    T5 Hymn hitting 2x SGC
    T6 Hymn hitting my remaining 2 cards
    I play it out for a few turns but the active Jitte makes it a lost cause.

Side +2 Bloodmoon, +1 Tuktuk, +1 Chieftain; -1 each of SGC, PD, Gempalm. 61.

G2
    Opening seven has no red mana and is all-in on Vial with 3, 4, 5 drops and RR costs. He certainly has Abrupt Decay.
    Mull to 6 gives 4 Land, Ringleader Ringleader.
    Mull to 5: Mtn, Cavern, Warchief, Warchief, Ringleader. Keep.
    He's mulled to 6 and his turns go:
    T1 DRS; T2 SFM (Jitte); T3 Jitte, equip swing.
    By the time I draw Matron--Tuktuk and kill his Jitte, he's got Bob, Batterskull, and Engineered Plague out. My earlier Ringleader had revealed Vial, Vial, Cavern. Piledriver.
    I end the game with a 0/1 Piledriver and lots of land.
    0-2 loss

1-1 in rounds.

Rd 3 vs Enchantress
    I lose the roll, but he mulls to 5.
    I look at Mtn, Port, Lackey, Matron, Warchief, Ringleader, SGC. Solid, keep.
    Opp T1 Forest --> Utopia Sprawl (white)
    Gob T1 Mtn, Lackey.
    O T2: Plains, Argothian Enchantress
    G T2: Lackey swings through-->SGC enters. Port.
    O T3: (Port the Sprawl forest on his upkeep). Serra's Sanctum.
    G T4: Team swings through. PD enters off Lackey. Wasteland his Sanctum.
    O T5 (Port on enchanted forest) Draws and scoops.

Side out 2x Gempalm, side in Tuktuk, Chieftain.
    I'm not familiar with the matchup but I remember that key creatures have shroud. Not sure what the win condition is so I keep Pyrokinesis in just in case.

G2
    Very iffy keep of something like Mtn, Mtn, MWM, MWM, Matron, Warchief, Gempalm.
    He had mana trouble as I drew Port and hit his Enchanted land. With an Argotian Enchantress out, he played and soon sacrificed Elephant Grass, Elephant Grass, and Solitary Confinement on consecutive turns. I thought Solitary was going to be the end of me since he had 5-6 cards in hand with the lady out. BUT he didn't have any more enchantments to keep drawing cards and had to let it go. I got double Warchief and double MWM out and had my choice of ways to kill him while still porting and Wasting his mana sources and holding Matron. He scooped to a revealed Krenko.
    I was still holding back Lackey, Ringleader and something else in case of a surprise board wipe.

2-0 win

Fnished at 2-1 in rounds.

Notes
    • In two weeks (but only 5 rounds) of playing the deck, I went 3-2 plus a bye bringing me to 4-2.
    • Impressive feat: I lost the die roll in all 5 of those rounds.
    • More impressive feat: I've lost the die roll in 11 consecutive rounds of Legacy, and had lost an additional 5/6 before that. I'm very much looking forward to a string of luck...after I burn my dice. (Ssssssh about that Gambler's Falacy!)
    • Biggest disappointment: I never drew a Blood Moon. I really really really wanted to drop one vs a RUG deck.
    • I only got to play Chalice in one game ( vs S&T last week).

Positives: I've very much enjoyed not having to worry about Wasteland or Stifle.
    Negatives: I *really* missed maindeck artifact kill vs Jitte (mono-green Stompy last week and Junk Blade this week), so in 2 of 5 rounds. Jitte was the deciding factor in both of those rounds.

@jrw1985: Thanks for the list. I wish I could have provided deeper insights.

Next up on my tour of Goblin builds, either Thalia or Warren Instigator.
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours."

My 1994+ Magic Cube

Re: [Deck] Goblins

wow it has been a month since I last played the deck, it should be illegal. BUT.... luckily I could play at my local tourney again and I showed up with goblins. My list is always the same, for reference:

4 Goblin Lackey
    4 vial

4 thalia
    3 Mogg War Marshal

1 Stingscourger
    3 Gempalm Incinerator

4 Goblin Matron
    3 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Warchief

4 Goblin Ringleader
    2 krenko
    1 tuktuk scrapper

Lands
    4 Wasteland
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Rishadan Port
    3 Mountain
    1 karakas
    2 plateau
    5 red fetches

//Sideboard
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 angel of despair
    1 Stingscourger

1 grafdigger s cage
    1 relic of progenitus
    2 rest in peace

1 Pithing Needle
    1 pyrokinesis
    2 wear//tear

I ended up "officially" 4-1-1 , but it was actually a 5-1.
    G1: homebrew stompy deck. win 2-1
    G2: D&T. win 2-1
    G3: esper miracles. lost 1-2
    G4: stiflenought. win 2-0
    G5: dragon stompy: win 2-1
    G6: we drew into prices. However, we played for fun anyway and I won 2-1. He played omnitell.

My meta is very D&T heavy, I basically meet it every tourney. All games come down to whether he gets to attack with jitte before I can activate krenko. D&T has a million ways to make our æter vial useless so don t count on that. Keep hands with multiple lands or its extremely good mana denial is gonna get you. Gempalm incinerator is all star here. If they can t beatdown with equipments they basically cannot win so it is important to keep that in check. A couple of krenko activations will win the game. It seems that they shifted from serra avenger to mirran crusader which is very good for us since we can block crusader until the end of time.

In the last round I liked to have very specific hate against omnitell in the form of angel of despair. I think it is fair enough to dedicate 2 SB spaces only to S&T, it is so though. However, I would like to hear your opinion on mindbreak trap in this MU. Is it good or borderline ok? Please somebody with experience in this MU.

I don t know really what to say more, I like my MD I wouldn t change a thing. SB needs some little adjustment though. I would like to have the second pyrokinesis and maybe the third wear//tear. Don t know what to cut though.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

@fimo Cut Angel of Despair. You're never going to draw them when you need them, and their application is extremely narrow. Tear is an instant that can be cast on Omni after SnT in response to your own Goblin's EtB ability anyway, so that card is already an answer to your SnT woes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    @fimo Cut Angel of Despair. You're never going to draw them when you need them, and their application is extremely narrow. Tear is an instant that can be cast on Omni after SnT in response to your own Goblin's EtB ability anyway, so that card is already an answer to your SnT woes.
    Yeah I understand what you mean. But don t forget about having a 5/5 body. In one of the games my opponent casted S&T, reveal omniscience + angel of despair. In response to the trigger he cunning wished (for free) for a stifle effect (for free) and stifled angel's ability. However, I won that game because he didn t have enough time to win. If I had wear//tear he could have cunning wished for a counter. If he doesn t have cunning wish he can just have a counter in hand or an intuition-->counter for wear//tear. And if he S&T for an emrakul and I have a wear//tear I die.
    I hate angel being so narrow as well....but S&T is a strong popular combo that is gonna stay around. I m afraid we need some number of game winning answers to it.

Nov 2012
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Hey all.

Is there a specific way you guys handle jund?

I'm almost giving up on my beloved gobbos deck because of this matchup. It seems to me that it's almost impossible to win without having lady luck play her part (mana screwed opponent etc).

Storm deck's don't annoy me anymore (I even enjoy those matches), but jund simply makes me frustrated. It doesn't matter if I mull aggressively for SB cards or if I have a perfect early game (lackey connecting, mana denial working etc), the opponent always seem to get back on the game and I run out of gas (specially when they thoughtseize your ringleader away). When grove and punishing fire join the party it's almost GG.

I don't know... maybe I feel this way because I practice this matchup against a fellow ex-gobbo team member (kinda like my "jedi master", as he teached me the way of the green dudes), a person who certainly understands my deck.

Am I the only one who suffers this bad to win this matchup?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

So after a month without playing I brought the following to my LGS tonight, only to go 0-2 then drop after getting byed in the 3rd round. Rough night.

List

4 Lackey
    4 Vial
    4 Piledriver
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Stingscourger
    4 Gempalm
    4 Matron
    4 Warchief
    4 Ringleader
    1 Krenko
    2 Seige-Gang Commander
    2 Pyrokinesis

4 Cavern
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    10 Mountain

SB
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mindbreak Trap
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    2 Blood Moon

R1 Affinity
    G1 I'm on the draw and Mull to 6. I keep a hand of three lands, Vial, Matron, Gempalm. My opponent goes T1 Phyrexian Walker, Artifact land, Chrome Mox, Stoneforge for Batterskull. I play Mountain, Vial, Go, and scoop after he casts a few more 0 drops and vomits his hand out.
    G2 I side in Tuktuk and 4 Chalice of the Void (11 0cc in his deck). I draw an opening 7 with Lackey, Matron, Warchief, Piledriver and 3 lands. It's a completely decent hand, but not very interactive, so I just hope he doesn't go off T1. I play Mountain, Lackey, go. T1 he plays Memnite, Walker, Springleaf drum, artifact land. T2 I play Piledriver. T2 he plays SFM for Batterskull and some 0 drops. I draw a Chalice and play it at 0 (not that it matters at this point...). Matron for Tuktuk kills Batterskull, but he plays another SFM for Cranial Plating. I keep ticking up Vial and keep blocking his attackers, trying to kill his guys and drag him into deep water. He plays Tezzeret and +1s it. I tick Vial up to 5 with SGC in hand, but I don't vial it in. I was gonna wait til the end of his turn to do that, or his attack step. I forgot Tezz's -4 ability which killed me that turn instead.

Don't be like me. Read cards.

R2 - Jund
    G1 I'm on the draw. We both keep our 7s. He leads with Bayou, go. I lead with Vial off Mountain. He Hymns me, hitting my Port which was my big T2 play (shoulda led with Port, not Mountain: since he had no T1 play it wasn't likely that he would have a Waste + T2 play anyway). I tick up Vial and play a land. He Hymns me again. Then he plays 2 Bloodbraids + 2 Bobs. Oh, and he Decays my Vial. I was never really in this one.
    G2 I side in Tuktuk and Blood Moons, taking out 3 Piledrivers (in retrospect, not the best SB play since I was on the play and could use the tempo). We both mull to 5. I have T1 Lackey + T2 Wasteland and I win pretty easy with the help of my last lone Piledriver. Variance win.
    G3 We bth keep seven. He leads with T1 Deathrite, I with Vial. He plays Lilliana T2 and we discard. Not much happens for a few turns. He plays a Goyf and I play Warchief + Stingscourger to bounce it and swing at Lilly to kill her (he had -2'd her the turn before to kill a Matron for some reason). His following turn he has a Decay for my Warchief. Stinger dies in my upkeep. I cast a Ringleader netting 2 cards. My opponent then plays 2 Goyfs. I get another goblin in play and Gempalm the DRS, hoping to draw into MWM to buy some time. No dice. I draw Pyrokinesis instead and both goyfs are 6/7. I die to beats shortly thereafter.

Rough night. 1 Variance win, 4 losses. I really fucked myself on one of them (G2 against Affinity). The rest I just kept drawing fairly slow hands when I really needed more explosive ones. Not much to say about it. Thalia MD wouldn't have helped. Relic would have been useful to sideboard against Jund. And Prospector + Sharpshooter might have to come back into the MD to battle random Batterskulls without filling MD slots with the terrible Tuktuk Scrapper. No great options either way.

4 Lackey
    4 Vial
    4 Piledriver
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Stingscourger
    4 Gempalm
    4 Matron
    4 Warchief
    4 Ringleader
    1 Krenko
    2 Seige-Gang Commander
    2 Pyrokinesis

4 Cavern
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    10 Mountain

SB
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mindbreak Trap
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    2 Blood Moon

R2 - Jund
    G1 I'm on the draw. We both keep our 7s. He leads with Bayou, go. I lead with Vial off Mountain. He Hymns me, hitting my Port which was my big T2 play (shoulda led with Port, not Mountain: since he had no T1 play it wasn't likely that he would have a Waste + T2 play anyway). I tick up Vial and play a land. He Hymns me again. Then he plays 2 Bloodbraids + 2 Bobs. Oh, and he Decays my Vial. I was never really in this one.
    G2 I side in Tuktuk and Blood Moons, taking out 3 Piledrivers (in retrospect, not the best SB play since I was on the play and could use the tempo). We both mull to 5. I have T1 Lackey + T2 Wasteland and I win pretty easy with the help of my last lone Piledriver. Variance win.
    G3 We bth keep seven. He leads with T1 Deathrite, I with Vial. He plays Lilliana T2 and we discard. Not much happens for a few turns. He plays a Goyf and I play Warchief + Stingscourger to bounce it and swing at Lilly to kill her (he had -2'd her the turn before to kill a Matron for some reason). His following turn he has a Decay for my Warchief. Stinger dies in my upkeep. I cast a Ringleader netting 2 cards. My opponent then plays 2 Goyfs. I get another goblin in play and Gempalm the DRS, hoping to draw into MWM to buy some time. No dice. I draw Pyrokinesis instead and both goyfs are 6/7. I die to beats shortly thereafter.
    Maybe it would have been better to SB leyline of the void? jund cannot win without GY: shaman, goyf, punishing fire, ooze. And abrupt decay doesn t take leyline. pyrokinesis is not that great against heavy discard decks. If they hymn you, you can t afford to cast pyrokinesis otherwise you end up hellbent. Also, I am not a big fan of blood moon agains shaman decks. I would have probably SB +4leyline -2 pyrokinesis -2 PD. Was tuktuk meant for jitte?
    Anyway jund is a rather unfavorable MU. All their card are relevant against our deck and some of them are awsome like punishing fire.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenShorty View Post
    Hey all.

Is there a specific way you guys handle jund?

I'm almost giving up on my beloved gobbos deck because of this matchup. It seems to me that it's almost impossible to win without having lady luck play her part (mana screwed opponent etc).

Storm deck's don't annoy me anymore (I even enjoy those matches), but jund simply makes me frustrated. It doesn't matter if I mull aggressively for SB cards or if I have a perfect early game (lackey connecting, mana denial working etc), the opponent always seem to get back on the game and I run out of gas (specially when they thoughtseize your ringleader away). When grove and punishing fire join the party it's almost GG.

I don't know... maybe I feel this way because I practice this matchup against a fellow ex-gobbo team member (kinda like my "jedi master", as he teached me the way of the green dudes), a person who certainly understands my deck.

Am I the only one who suffers this bad to win this matchup?
    i use this for a sideboard, 1 pyroblast, 1 tin street hooligan, 2 krosan grip, 3 thalia, 3 relic of progenitus, 3 pyrokinesis. against jund i sideboard in 3 pyrokinesis to help lackey and hopefully kill 2+ creatures, also bring in 3 relic of progenitus to hate on deathrite, goyf, and punishing fire. use your wastelands strictly on their grove of the burnwillows. unless they are mana screwed and you can spiral them into oblivion. i sideboard out tin street hooligan, stingscourger, skirk prospector, sharpshooter, 1 piledriver, 1 warchief. i dont side in krosan grip until game 3 and only if i see engineered plague or a strange number of artifacts.

Boartusk liege is the powerhouse in this matchup, negates Plaque and doesn't get decayed, bolted or punished.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by fimo View Post

Maybe it would have been better to SB leyline of the void? jund cannot win without GY: shaman, goyf, punishing fire, ooze. And abrupt decay doesn t take leyline. pyrokinesis is not that great against heavy discard decks. If they hymn you, you can t afford to cast pyrokinesis otherwise you end up hellbent. Also, I am not a big fan of blood moon agains shaman decks. I would have probably SB +4leyline -2 pyrokinesis -2 PD. Was tuktuk meant for jitte?
    Anyway jund is a rather unfavorable MU. All their card are relevant against our deck and some of them are awsome like punishing fire.
    Tuktuk absolutely was for Jitte, which I say him desideboard after the match. Jitte is a pretty standard sb card in Jund.

Leyline is a pretty bad option against Jund because Jund isn't trying to go off t1-2, and their Goyfs get big off of your gy too, so Leyline is a dead draw mid game and it doesn't really shut off anything of theirs. Also, the Jund deck I was playing against didn't seem to run Grove and P Fire. If it did I might consider boarding Leyline. Relic still seems better though. It's just that every time I run Relic I seem to run into Reanimator and Storm, and every time I run Leyline I run into Goyf decks.

Question for the forum:

What cards do you find yourself losing to most often?

My list:

Tarmagoyf
    Planeswalkers (Jace, Tezz, Lilly)
    Equipment (Batterskull, Jitte, Cranial)

These are the cards which are most difficult to answer and have the most powerful board presence, in my opinion. What else?

Question for the forum:

My list:

Tarmagoyf

These are the cards which are most difficult to answer and have the most powerful board presence, in my opinion. What else?
    Dark Ritual, Entomb, Show and Tell, Tarmogoyf, Delver.

I don't tend to find planeswalkers or equipment hard since our tutor package is good vs equipment (and removal kills the creatures) and haste deals to planeswalkers nicely.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-20-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

OK, I threw together this awesome POS list and went 2-1 with it today...

4 Lackey
    4 Vial
    1 Skirk Prospector
    3 Piledriver
    3 MWM
    1 Stingscourger
    4 Gemplam
    4 Warchief
    4 Matron
    1 Sharpshooter
    4 Ringleader
    2 Krenko
    2 Lightning Crafter

1 Tuktuk

4 Waste, Port, Cavern
    10 Mountain

SB (Super-POS, but great)
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Tarfire
    1 Piledriver
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Zo-zu the punisher
    1 Goblin King
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Boartusk Leige
    1 Goblin Tinkerer
    1 Sensation Gorger

R1 Reanimator
    I'm on the draw G1. My opponent plays T1 Polluted Delta, pass. I play Port into Vial. He Eot fetches fro swamp and Canst Entomb for Elesh Norn. T2 he plays Underground Sea and Reanimates Elesh Norn. I play a second vial. He beats for 3. I start porting him. He Reanimates a Grisselbrand. On my turn I cast Ringleader into a Stingscourger and bounce Elesh Norn. Stingscourger hits the bin and I play a Lackey. On his turn he Careful Studies, then Exhumes. Elesh returns, wiping my board, but Stinger bounces Elesh as well. I take 7 from Grizz, leaving me at 4. On my turn I have Vial at 3 and 4. I Vial in Warchief, then Vial in Kenko. I activate Krenko for 2 goblins. I then cast a second Krenko, sacking the tapped one (Hooray Rules Changes!), then Active the new Krenko for 4 more Goblins. Then I Gemalm Grizz for 8. He takes his turn and scoops.

G2 I side out 3 MWM, 1 Tuktuk, 2 Lightning Crafter, 1 Sharpshooter.
    I bring in 3 Relic, Piledriver, Stinger, Chieftain and Leige.
    My opening hand has Lackey, Piledriver, and 2 Stingers and Warchief. Yes, please. My opponent plays a Swamp and passes. I play Lackey. T2 he plays Underground Sea into Careful Study and discards Sphinx of the Steel Wind. I hit with Lackey and drop Warchief then cast Piledriver, then I Waste the Sea. He does nothing on his turn. I play a Port and swing, then port him on his upkeep and he scoops.

R2 Storm
    I lose G1
    G2 I side in Sensation Gorger on the belief that random 5 card hands are bad for storm decks. I also side in Zo-Zu and Piledriver and maybe some other stuff, taking out MWMs and Gempalms. I lead with Lackey. My opponent tries to go off but misplays. I win.
    G3 we both mull to 6. I keep a hand without a 1-drop. This is a mistake. My hand has Piledriver, Wasteland, 2 mountains and 2 3-drops. I hope to rip a 1-drop so I can use Wasteland and start cheating shit into play. It doesn't happen. Instead he digs T1. I Play a Mountain. He digs T2. I now Waste a land of his, but he's still ahead. He digs some more. I play a 2nd land and play Piledriver. He wins 1 or two turns later. I should have mulled to 5. If you can't pressure Storm then you can't beat it. Mana disruption will only help if you are slowing them down more than you're slowing yourself down. That was not the case here, and I lost.

R3 Death and Taxes
    G1 i'm on the draw and mull to 5. He keeps his 7 and leads with Vial. I play Vial as well. He plays SFM and gets a Jitte. I cast Pilediver T2. He plays a land and cast Jitte, leaving W open. I just tick up Vial to 2 on my turn and play a land and pass. I have Gempalm in hand. I realize that he's going to equip and attack next turn, and I'm going to block and Gempalm before damage, just to kill his SFM and keep Jitte out of play for another turn. But I also know that he's holding W open and is probably going to Swords Piledriver in response to Gempalm. I'm actually OK with this because the block will have been declared, and Jitte will stay counterless. This is exactly what happens. He attacks, I block and Gempalm, he Swords, and jitte gets 0 counters. Given that 1 turn window I'm able to maneuver into a position where I activate Vial @3 with a Warchief on the table, he lets it resolve, and I use a hastey Sharpshooter to clean up and take the game.
    G2 is very similar. I side out Piledrivers and Stingscourger for Tarfire and Tinkerer. He leads with T1 Mom and I dont have the Tarfire. I eventually scoop once he nabs a jitte and I can't find artifact hate to kill it.
    G3 again revolves around a Jitte hitting play, but this time I've built up too much of a board for it to win the game.

I liked the goblin sideboard. I think I'll putz with it some more.

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

When do you board in boartusk leige in? By the way, my sideboard currently looks like this.

4 cotv
    3 relic
    3 pyrokinesis
    3 pyroblast
    1 boartusk leige
    1 tuktuk scrapper.

Can you give feedback? I haven't touched goblins in like a month so I need to update my list a little.

Quote Originally Posted by goblinsplayer View Post
    When do you board in boartusk leige in? By the way, my sideboard currently looks like this.

4 cotv
    3 relic
    3 pyrokinesis
    3 pyroblast
    1 boartusk leige
    1 tuktuk scrapper.

Can you give feedback? I haven't touched goblins in like a month so I need to update my list a little.
    Jund is when you baord him in, against plague

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Question for the forum:

My list:

Tarmagoyf

My list is actually the following.
    Tarmogoyf + any other beat stick (Another Tarmogoyf, Delver, Thalia equipped with anything etc).
    Umezawa's Jitte + any other beat stick.
    Devastating Dreams
    Recently in my shop Marit Lage (From Dark Depths)
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor + Cover (Kill / Counter / Dudes in the way)

But that is because my meta is heavy on loam. After looking at them I'm simply realizing that each of them is a problem because we can't race it. Goyf blocks. Jitte blocks and attacks. Devastating Dreams halts attacks and rebound capability. Jace stalls till victory. Each of them simply make sit unfavorable to attack.

I've found my answer to Goyf is an extra Stingscourger over a Gempalm (if and only if the meta is Goyf heavy).

As for Jitte, its racing to see who is online faster, can I hit critical mass OR artifact destruction before he gets Jitte online.

Devastating Dreams is rough. Beatable if a Blood Moon resolves first so he can't follow it up with loam for wastes on your non-basics. Or if he is ballsy enough to do it with a Relic of Progenitus in play you can push through that as well. That 23rd land is a godsend in this match up.

Marit Lage - Screw this guy. I don't want to keep vial at two for a Stingscourger all game, but I feel like I have to. They can Knight of the Reliquary / Loam it together followed by end phase Legendary Flying Indestructable 20/20.

When I die to Jace, I was already in a bad position. So, there is no real way to fight it other than tight play BEFORE he resolves. I'd also advise tight play during his resolution and afterwords as well.

Apr 2010
    Germany

2 Lightning Crafter

0 Siege-Gang COmmander
    Tell me more about that, please. Last week I pondered about kicking SGC entirely (in favor of some cc1-3 cards though), so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts behind that.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Hello dear goblin players, i'm going to bore you with a report of the tournament I attended today in my lgs (Mana Base in Macerata,Italy). We were 30 people and played five rounds before top8.

The night before i changed my deck and copied the recent Max Tietze's list that he piloted to victory recently in Atlanta, sideboard included.
    For reference, this one : http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=4714&d=227225
    I have never been fond of things like 4 gempalms, 23 lands with 4 rishadan ports, 4 piledrivers and before switching i was playing 3 piledrivers, 3 gempalms, 22 lands with 3 ports,2 tarfire and even a 3/2 split between warchief and chieftain.
    Honestly now i have to thank max because i ended up losing in the final match, winning a tundra that I immediately traded with two plateaus ( what should I do with a tundra? I'll never play those boring colours), and i liked the deck very much, especially the redundancy given by the 4th piledriver, gempalm and port.

Here's the report:
    Round 1 U/R Delver + stiflenought 2-1
    He was playing a weird list of u/r delver with stifle and phyrexian dreadnought and some miracles like Thunderous Wrath.

Game 1: he preordains, and ponders , and brainstorms again while i apply pressure with vial and a bit of manadenial. easy and fast win.

Game 2: (in 3 thalia, out 2 lackey because i'm on the draw and 1 mogg war marshal. i think i should have sided out all 3 marshals aniway because lackey must be bolted or blocked) He casts the dreadnought and stifles it on turn 2. I'm very surprised and don't have stingscourger in hand so i lose.

Game 3: (in 2 krosan grip, out the two remaining marshals, in 2 lackeys, out 1 prospector and something else) I'm on the play and he mulls to five while i keep my 7 that include a lot of vial/lands hoping to draw into matron/ringleader. He plays grim lavamancer on turn 1 and i'm pretty disappointed. The game stalls for quite a long time with me playing random goblins that get killed by either bolts or lavamancer, until i find a gempalm to kill him and stabilize a bit. aniway time ends and when he has 2 turns left he decides to attack with lavamancer and throw some bolts at my face hoping to kill me next turn. I have only two tokens in play but a vial at 3 and one at 4 with no cards in hand. So he passes and on my last turn i topdeck ringleader that finds me a matron that finds me a warchief and i attack for 7 damage. Well, he was at 7 , i win :)

Round 2 Canadian Thresh 2-0
    Game 1 : I'm on the draw and he ponders. i waste his tropical island. he doesn't have other lands so i play vial and then keep porting the only other land he manages to play.

Game 2 : he reveals me that he stopped playing 7 years ago so he doesn't know anything of the current format, this is clear because he sided in a grafdigger's cage against me... i won't go on because it was an easy win.

Round 3 Junk 0-1
    Game 1: i know he is on junk and he usually stomps me when we do casual matches. Aniway I'm on the play and I start with lackey , obviously he has deathrite shaman, so i drop a vial the following turn that incredibly doesn't get decayed/pulsed/vindicated so i manage to stabilize. He attacks with Bob into my skirk prospector and i don't block suspecting something. In fact he drops a jitte and I'm able to keep it at bay for sometime with the prospector. Then i made a fatal misplay ( or maybe it was bad luck) . i decided to attack with all my goblins except prospector because he is very low on life and i think i should win the following turn. So I block with prospector and sacrifice him, but unfortunately he topdecked lingering souls that gave him 4 tokens.... obviously i couldn't win on the following turn and his jitte slowly killed my army.

Game 2:(in 3 pyrokinesis, out some piledrivers and lackeys. I don't side in krosan grips because junk can win also without equipments and i don't want to dilute my deck) We don't have the time to finish it but I think i would have lost aniway .... due to jitte again.

Round 4 Death and Taxes 2-0
    Game 1: i'm on the draw , he starts with land mom while i start with vial. Fortunately he didn't played a stoneforge mystic until it was too late because i dropped a siege gang commander with him already at a quite low life total.
    Game 2: he mulls to 6 while i keep my seven. he starts with land pass while i start with land vial again ( things keep getting better ). Aniway this time he has stoneforge and he also proceeds to play two moms after dropping the jitte. I have the krosan grip in hand but i need a taiga and he plays an aven mindcensor when i try to fetch. Then he didn't use well his mom's and i was able to burn the mindcensor with gempalm in some way. maybe i would have won also without his misplay because i eventually topdecked the taiga i needed.

Round 5 Death and Taxes . Draw into top 8 . I have a score of 3-1-1 and i am sixth in the ranking.

Quarterfinals U/R Delver Stiflenought that i faced on my first round. He won all the other rounds, it seems.Aniway i win 2-0, both the games on the back of a lot of gempalm incinerators ( i played all 4 of them in the second game) that eliminated his delvers and lavamancers.

Semifinals Belcher. 2-1
    NO, Belcher NO ! I've already played with this guy in another tournament, in the semifinals also that time and i lost. Aniway i don't know if he is on belcher also this time
    Game 1: He's on the play and he activated Belcher turn one and didn't find taiga in the first ten cards. Damn.

Game 2: (In 3 Mindbreak traps, 3 thalia, 3 pyrokinesis for empty the warrens, 2 krosan grip. Out gempalms, stingscourger,mogg war marshals and something else. I sided a lot of cards but everything is worth it to have a chance against belcher.)
    I have mindbreak trap in my opening 7 and i feel like i can't lose. He sees it with gitaxian probe and is terrified. aniway he tries to play around it
    but doesn't find enough spirit guides/permanent mana sources to go off without playing three spells in a turn.

Game 3: he mulls to 6 , i mull to five and have a thalia with the fetch to play her. I just cross my fingers and pray he doesn't go off in the first two turns. it doesn't happen because i see with his land grant that he has in hand two pyroblasts he sided in(very useful against thalia), so i'm able to drop my thalia and i also destroy a charbelcher he managed to drop some turns later with tin street hooligan.

Final Match vs Hive Mind 1-2
    I have no idea what he is on, but it seems a bit scared by the matchup.

Game 1: I am on the draw, mull to 6 and keep a hand with 3 lands, a mogg war marshal, a warchief, a piledriver. No turn one play, no mana denial. he casts hive mind turn 4 followed by a slaughter pact and i can't apply enough pressure.

Game 2: (In 3 thalias, 3 mindbreak trap) I haven't ever played with hive mind before so i figured out mindbreak trap might be useful(terrible mistake) and i didn't even knew he played show and tell (otherwise i would have boarded in Angel of Despair. What a shame). Aniway I have a land with wasteland and port and this combined with being on the play and dropping a vial on turn one make me win also through an engineered plague(i didn't expect it) thanks to 2 piledrivers and a ringleader.

Game 3 (out 2 mindbreak traps, in 2 krosan grips. I started figuring out traps were probably useless) I have a lot of manadenial also this time , including thalia, but i was on the draw. Probably manadenial would have been enough if he didn't topdecked a show and tell and dropped hive mind with it. I suppose that if i had dropped Angel of Despair nothing would have changed because in response to the angel destroying hive mind he could have cast his pact. Am I right ?

All in all, a very tiring but rewarding day. I hope my post is not too long and boring :)

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    Tell me more about that, please. Last week I pondered about kicking SGC entirely (in favor of some cc1-3 cards though), so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts behind that.
    I dropped SGC and ran 2 Lightning Crafter for a few reasons. First, SCG's direct damage ability is sometimes difficult to use with 12- non mountains in the list. Second, not running 5 drops lets you leave your Vials @ 4. 3rd, LC's direct damage is better at dealing with Plainswalkers.

I think I'm actually going to drop the 2nd LC and run a MD Chieftain. I want more Haste in the list, and the pump is super relevant as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    Hello dear goblin players, i'm going to bore you with a report of the tournament I attended today in my lgs (Mana Base in Macerata,Italy). We were 30 people and played five rounds before top8.
    Congrats on the finish! Too bad about the loss to Jund. Maybe more goblin-shaped artifact hate would help?

Oct 2012
    Italy

Maybe one more tin street hooligan could help against Junk ( not Jund ). But the problem is that equipments are only one of the problems we face against that matchup : at least the list i faced yesterday played tarmogoyf, knight of the reliquary, abrupt decay, maelstrom pulse, vindicate, liliana,hymn to tourach, thoughtseize.....with a good chance of playing his three drops turn two thanks to deathrite shaman and mox diamond. I suppose we must only hope that they get mana screwed to have a chance of winning against all the big critters, removals and disruptions.

That said, an active jitte is always the most problematic card for us, so additional artifact hate may be ok.

Thread Information