Page 364 of 509 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364365366367368374414464 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,280 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Jan 2014
    Québec

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Ok, going to a smaller tournament than my first one tomorrow, and I'm trying an unusual route: RWB goblins.
    I've really liked the RW goblins, but it lacked something against TNN and against some comboes... so, I tried to add black to it in an online deck tested (mtgdeckbuilder.com), and it worked wonders, so I invested.

My list:
    Creatures
    2 Chieftain
    3 Warchief
    4 Lackey
    4 Matron
    4 Ringleader
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    2 Piledriver
    1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Earwig Squad
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Others:
    2 Tarfire
    4 Aether Vial

Lands:
    6 Mountains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Arid Mesa
    2 Wasteland
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Plateau
    2 Badlands
    1 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard:
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Wear//Tear
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Warren Weirding
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Earwig Squad
    1 Lightning Crafter

Maybeboard:
    1 Boartusk Liege (maybe against E. Plague + Abrupt Decay?)
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper (since my meta last time was quite heavy on artifacts)
    1 Reput Goblin Chieftain (I removed it for Wort, trying her efficacity)
    1 Reput Siege-Gang Commander instead of Lightning Crafter
    2 Ethersworn Canonist (against some control decks, and since she's human, she can be Caverned on Humans along Talia)

So, any input? What to remove from the deck, what to swap between the mainboard and the sideboard? My impression from the last tournament is quite heavy on red (sneak show, painter), but there was your usual Deathblade, Stoneblade or Delver, (here's the Top 8, I'm Jean, with my then-RW list: http://blog.imaginaire.com/2014/03/2...ists-du-top-8/)
    I'm gonna take notes and give the results tomorrow.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Ah, now I understand where you're coming from. The hope is that Chance protects your lackey/vial or gives you a tempo advantage by making your opponent wait until t2 to play anything. Chance's effect would be very powerful in goblins and really does fit the tempo gameplan. Unfortunately, Chance is a dead-draw outside the opening 7. So though I've never played it I can relate it to another T0 answer, Leyline of the Void. I used to run Leyline a lot. When it was good, it was Great. When it was not great it was really really bad. Considering that Chance's effect is nowhere near as back-breaking as Leyline's I can't say there's any good reason to play it.
    Goblins ran 4 Mental Misstep when it was around. Yes, it was to protect Lackey from other Mental Missteps. But it's the same principle. If back then it was worth protecting our turn 1 play (or slowing them a turn) at the risk of wasting a deck slot, it might still be now in some matchups. Chancellor synergizes with Thalia/Wasteland/Port and the 1-drop plan pretty well. Although it's mostly dead, it's theoretically Vialable and you can drop it off SnT.

If you board it in on the play, you can do silly things like:
    T1 Vial with Chancellor back up. opponent plays nothing
    T2 Waste/Port them. opponent still plays nothing
    T3 Vial in Thalia. yikes.

That's a hell of a lot of tempo.
    Alternately you could just use it to protect T1 Lackey and/or just drop a Thalia turn 2 off Caverns.
    The Chrome Mox builds could theoretically play T1 Mox, Thalia with Chancellor back-up... seems tough for the opponent.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Goblins ran 4 Mental Misstep when it was around. Yes, it was to protect Lackey from other Mental Missteps. But it's the same principle. If back then it was worth protecting our turn 1 play (or slowing them a turn) at the risk of wasting a deck slot, it might still be now in some matchups. Chancellor synergizes with Thalia/Wasteland/Port and the 1-drop plan pretty well. Although it's mostly dead, it's theoretically Vialable and you can drop it off SnT.

Alternately you could just use it to protect T1 Lackey and/or just drop a Thalia turn 2 off Caverns.
    The Chrome Mox builds could theoretically play T1 Mox, Thalia with Chancellor back-up... seems tough for the opponent.
    Tempo indeed, but also a dead card... If you want to counter stuff, why not try a Blue splash?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Oh man, Mental Misstep was the shit. I used to jam 4 in my Goblins list too. But, unlike Chancellor, MM was never a dead draw, so they're not analogous.

Also, your example of silly things looks like a Death and Taxes game.

You play Lackey/Vial so you can cheat cards from your hand into play.
    You keep Chancellor in hand to protect Lackey/Vial.
    Having Chancellor in hand prevents you from having a goblin in hand to cheat into play.
    So, by running Chancellor you can protect Vial/Lackey, but you dilute their ability to cheat cards in, thereby making them less effective and less worthy of protection.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Raznaak View Post
    Ok, going to a smaller tournament than my first one tomorrow, and I'm trying an unusual route: RWB goblins.
    I've really liked the RW goblins, but it lacked something against TNN and against some comboes... so, I tried to add black to it in an online deck tested (mtgdeckbuilder.com), and it worked wonders, so I invested.

My list:
    Creatures
    2 Chieftain
    3 Warchief
    4 Lackey
    4 Matron
    4 Ringleader
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    2 Piledriver
    1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Earwig Squad
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Others:
    2 Tarfire
    4 Aether Vial

Lands:
    6 Mountains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Arid Mesa
    2 Wasteland
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Plateau
    2 Badlands
    1 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard:
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Wear//Tear
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Warren Weirding
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Earwig Squad
    1 Lightning Crafter

Maybeboard:
    1 Boartusk Liege (maybe against E. Plague + Abrupt Decay?)
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper (since my meta last time was quite heavy on artifacts)
    1 Reput Goblin Chieftain (I removed it for Wort, trying her efficacity)
    1 Reput Siege-Gang Commander instead of Lightning Crafter
    2 Ethersworn Canonist (against some control decks, and since she's human, she can be Caverned on Humans along Talia)

So, any input? What to remove from the deck, what to swap between the mainboard and the sideboard? My impression from the last tournament is quite heavy on red (sneak show, painter), but there was your usual Deathblade, Stoneblade or Delver, (here's the Top 8, I'm Jean, with my then-RW list: http://blog.imaginaire.com/2014/03/2...ists-du-top-8/)
    I'm gonna take notes and give the results tomorrow.
    So how'd it go?

Jan 2014
    Québec

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    So how'd it go?
    Extremely poorly... But I don't think it was the changes in the deck, just my bad luck that wanted a payback for all the good luck I had in the last tournament...
    It was a small 15-men tournament, four games. There was like 7 combo decks, two Countertops, 2 Reanimators, 1 Burn (who won), an Affinity deck, an enchant deck (with Slippery Bogle and the like), and then there was me. So, three aggro decks, two if you exclude Affinity.

1: I went against my friend who was in his first tournament (he got fourth place), he played a wacky combo deck we constructed yesterday... First game, he comboed off one turn before I kill him, and I was mana flooded in the second game (6 lands draw turn after turn...) and he casted Black Sun Zenith for X=3 just as I got Krenko and too many goblins... Killed me with a 1/1 flying -_-
    0-2

2: Then, I went against Countertop Miracles, who invariably kept his 7-cards hand and he invariably had Top and Counterbalance, and at least one Force and he always had a Jace...
    Whenever I had the minimum of board advantage, he Terminuses my cards... And when I managed to have a board and he didn't got any Terminus, he Enlightened Tutored for Humility... And, of course, countered my Tear... I NEVER got any Cavern nor any Aether Vial (Seriously, come on!?). And whenever I managed to kill a Jace, he had another one in the hand...
    I was mana flooded -again- in the two games I lost (but this was "kinda" normal, since he activated the +2 of Jace each turn...), killed me with Jace one game, and Rest in Peace + Helm of Obedience the other game, where I killed three of his Jaces and he had Humility.
    1-2 (he was mana screwed second round)

3: I went against a high Tide deck, which I don't know what was the combo, since I Caverned into Thalia second turn each round and killed him promptly.
    2-0

4: Affinity, I was tired from the end of session and the inherent lack of sleep, so I made two HUGE misplays...
    First game, he started with the classical Affinity start. I have Incinerator in hand, so I play Lackey, which he burns. He plays other cards, and Signal Pest. I play Piledriver, which he burn. He plays Cranial Plating and attack me for 6. I play Goblin Chieftain, and attack for 2 (since the Pest is "flying"). He plays Master of Etherium, and attack me for 9. Then, huge mistake from me... I draw Tarfire and pass the turn. He attacks me with the pest, and I forgot he had Master of Etherium, so I decide to tap my two untapped lands to cycle Incinerator to kill the Pest, but it doesn't kill it because of the toughness boost from the Master. So I die. Tarfire would have killed the Pest, but not 1 damage from the Incinerator.
    Second misplay: I was so mad at my misplay that when he went "We start the next game, go go, go.", I agreed and it was only when I had my starting hand that I realized I forgot to side-in my artifact and creature hate (10 cards in from the sideboard...). I asked if it was okay with him if we restart to side in (we didn't even played a land yet), he said no, and the judge approved the decision (I know it was my fault, but come on... he asked to start the next game not even 15 seconds after the first one ended, and he was pressuring me to start. I was not even finished reshuffling my cards!). And he won.
    0-2

So, a lamentable 1-3 for me. I went against a combo deck, a Countertop (against which I got my only loss during the last tournament I won), a high-tide combo and a dick. I never even had the time to try the additions to the deck, since I always was mana flooded, totally dominated or I lost before I had the time to do anything.
    And, to twist the knife in the wound, during the downtimes, I tested the deck against other decks for fun, and always won... every game. Easily. Against all those other decks, I easily dealt with their comboes, had Rest in Peace against Reanimators) or was too fast for the enchantment aggro (and killed his only creature with Warren Weirdings). WHY wasn't I against them instead of the crap matchup I got?
    Oh well, Luck wasn't really in my favour this time, I guess...

Oct 2012
    Italy

http://www.channelfireball.com/video...lin-recruiter/

caleb durward playing some matches with goblin recruiter in his deck. Fun to watch even if you think unbanning recruiter would be foolish

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post

caleb durward playing some matches with goblin recruiter in his deck. Fun to watch even if you think unbanning recruiter would be foolish
    Neat. Strange how I love that deck but can't see myself playing it due to lazyness. Sooo much shuffling, stacking, drawing, shufffling. Red High Tide is not for me.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post

Just watched game 1 so far but it's so painful watching him maul it...

T1 Ancient Tomb go vs tapped blue dual? Spell Pierce isn't an option. FoW can't be avoided. Either hope he doesn't play Daze and play it T1 or play an uncracked fetch. In future turns he has to worry about Spell Pierce, Abrupt Decay, discard, or opponent Brainstorming into answers.

Stacking Matrons randomly on the bottom (below top18)? They're free storm and mana. You want to stack at least one in the top 16 so you can Matron->Matron->Matron->Matron, but ideally one in the top 4 in case he Forces a Ringleader and screws up the chain and you need an emergency tutor/reshuffle to deal with the board. Recruiter in the top 4 also seems good. The combo-y finishes can go near the middle/bottom of the top 16 once it's clear you're just comboing off through no disruption. My top 4 would be "Ringleader, Ringleader, Matron, Warchief", perhaps depending on the opponent and board state. Lets you try again the turn after if the first Ringleader gets countered. If both get countered, you can Matron into something useful and reshuffle your deck. If not, Warchief in the top 4 lets you immediately start reducing costs.

Deck would probably be better with Mogg Ritual.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Very cool games! I can definitely see why Recruiter was banned, and though this list obviously needs tweaking it's cool to see how 1 card can really give goblins a whole new dimension.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Just watched game 1 so far but it's so painful watching him maul (...)
    Deck would probably be better with Mogg Ritual.
    Of course it was painful to watch, because -as he stated- he never ever played the deck before :-) And I would never go for Mogg Ritual in this deck, but hey: Recruiter will never be unbanned in the near future so this isn't even a real thing to be discussing... One might hope the day will come though :-)

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Hello,

I went to a local weekly legacy event and thought I'd give Josiah's deck a shot but after some playtesting dropped the Lightning Crafter for a Fetch. I always wanted another mana, and have personally felt 22 mana sources is simply not enough. Lightning Crafter was also the least impactful. I also ran 1 less Badlands for a fetch. I like the fetch for Wasteland protection.

My list:
    MB
    3 Mountain
    3 Badlands
    3 Arid Mesa
    3 Scalding Tarn
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Aether Vial

4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Warren Instigator
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    2 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

3 Tarfire
    2 Warren Weirding
    1 Stingscourger

SB
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Earwig Squad
    2 Tuktuk Scrapper
    2 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Stingscourger

It was a 4 round event. I got some lucky pairings and some lucky draws.

* Round 1 - Tezzerator * Sean
    This is generally a very positive matchup. Usual mainboard cards to put us under duress: Thopter Foundry, Damnation, Wurmcoil Engine
    Game 1:
    I won the die roll and mulled once into Arid Mesa, Cavern of Souls, Chrome Mox, Warren Instigator, Goblin Piledriver, Goblin Matron. Talk about ideal for this match. I slam the turn 1 Warren Instigator off of the Chrome Mox exiling Goblin Piledriver and a Cavern of Souls. He lays an Island for his turn. I untap, and draw for turn revealing a Tarfire, which I am actually happy to see. I will need it if he plays a turn 2 blocker. Warren Instigator does what he does and lives the dream of Goblin Matron into Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. I lay my Arid Mesa and pass. He draws, cracks a fetch for an Underground Sea and plays a Baleful Strix cantripping a card. I of course crack my fetch for a Badlands and Tarfire his Baleful Strix. He forfeits.

Usual sideboard cards to fear: Damnation, Engineered Plague, Ensnaring Bridge, and apparently after this next game Spellskite.
    I board in 2 Tuktuk Scrapper and 2 Cabal Therapy taking out 2 Tarfire and 2 Goblin Lackey.

Game 2:
    I mulled to 4 trying to find a working hand. Though this particular game was grindy it was in his favor the whole time. I died to his board of: Jace, the mind Sculptor (at 10), Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (which I forfeited in response to), Spellskite and double Ensnaring Bridge with 0 cards in hand.

Game 3:
    I kept a slower 6 of 2 Fetches, Badlands, 2 Warren Instigator, Cabal Therapy. My opponent mulligans to 6.
    He goes first with an Island. Drawing a Tuktuk Scrapper, I keep tit for tat with an Arid Mesa, cracking for Badlands. After thinking pretty hard on what to call I cast Cabal Therapy, it resolves. I name Force of Will as I've played this player before and I know he keeps them in against me for some strange reason. My hand would be wrecked by the tempo loss here. His hand is 2 Lands, 2 Baleful Strix and 1 Ensnaring Bridge. He plays out his Baleful Strix and passes. I take the turn, drawing a Goblin Matron, and drop my Warren Instigator, passing. He drops a second cards]Baleful Strix[/cards] and passes. I draw a Land and turn my Warren Instigator sideways, expecting the double block. He merely chumps it. Um, that's good news I guess. I cast a second warren Instigator and pass. He draws and plays an ensnaring Bridge with way too many cards in hand and passes. I of course draw the only remaining Tarfire. I swing with the team, on the Goblin Matron reveal, he forfeits.

1-0 (2/1)

* Round 2 - ANT * Brennon
    Friend of mine, actually taught me how to play, but I see him about once a year. While we were shuffling he made mention of how he never Miracles a blind Terminus. Because I know him, I knew he was not on miracles. He is probably on a combo deck, something the opposite of slow control. He knows I'm on Goblins. I have never not been on Goblins.
    Game 1:
    He won the die roll. I kept my opener of 2 Fetch, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Piledriver, Goblin Ringleader, Tuktuk Scrapper.
    He starts with Scalding Tarn, Island, Ponder. Sure looks like miracles... Or Show and Tell, or Storm, or Delver. I drop my Lackey searching for a Mountain. He plays a second fetch and cracks it for a Badlands, into Dark Ritual-- and the like. So he wins game one with storm.

Whelp, this a bad matchup. I board in 4 Chalice of the Void, 4 Cabal Therapy, 2 Earwig Squad taking out 4 Aether Vial, 4 Goblin Ringleader, 2 Tuktuk Scrapper.

Game 2:
    I keep a 5 of 3 lands, Chalice of the Void and Goblin Chieftain. I play the Chalice of the Void at 0 and then durdle till turn 3, he has done nothing but make land drops. I have drawn nothin but lands. I finally hit him for 2. Hell's yea, I'm clearly racing fast enough. He draws, Ponder and passes. I draw a second Goblin Chieftain and bash in for 6. He combo's off next turn starting with Chain of Vapor on my Chalice into 2 Lion's eye Diamond, Informing me had those in his opening hand, he promptly drains 18 life from me.

Should I have mulled again?

1-1 (2/1, 0/2)

* Round 3 - Merfolk * Irwin
    Game 1:
    He wins the die roll. My opening hand had Scalding Tarn, Wasteland, Chrome Mox, Goblin Lackey, Warren Instigator, Goblin Chieftain, Aether Vial.
    He starts with a Cursecatcher off an Island. I draw a Cavern of Souls. And slam down that early Warren Instigator off of Cavern of Souls, and Chrome Mox exiling Goblin Lackey, playing around daze of course. He draws, casts a Silvergill Adept and passes. I draw something irrelevant, cast Goblin Chieftain and swing. He casts a Jitte and threatens to equip to a Mutavault to stop my fun next turn. Unfortunately for him I drew a Goblin Matron. But after thinking about it, I could have drawn just about any card that wasn't non-wasteland land, Goblin Lackey, Chrome Mox, or Aether Vial to have enough pressure.

I sideboarded in 2 Tuktuk Scrapper and Stingscourger taking out 3 Tarfire.

Game 2:
    I kept a dubious 6 of 2 Wasteland, Mountain, Goblin Piledriver, Goblin Ringleader, Tuktuk Scrapper.
    He played an Aether Vial on turn 1, a Lord of Atlantis on turn 2, True-Name Nemesis on turn 3, and double True-Name Nemesis on turn 4 with Aether Vials help. I didn't do nearly as cool of things.

Hindsight is 20/20. I got into tunnel vision and told myself "I CANT LOSE WITH PILEDRIVER". Now looking at that hand, it's total shit. Oh well. Heat of the moment.

Game 3:
    I kept an opener of triple Goblin Piledriver and the lands required to resolve them. Cavern of Souls is a good card.

2-1 (2/1, 0/2, 2/1)

* Round 4 - Miracles * Jeff
    Game 1:
    I won the die roll and keep a 7 of Cavern of Souls, Fetch, Chrome Mox, Goblin Lackey, Warren Instigator, 2 Goblin Chieftain. I lead with the apparently not so uncommon play of an uncounterable turn 1 Warren Instigator exiling Goblin Lackey. He plays a Plains and passes. I draw a Goblin Lackey and swing with Warren Instigator putting in Goblin Lackey and Goblin Chieftain. I did not intend to cast further creatures due to board wipes, and just clock him this way, but he blind miracles a Terminus on turn 2. He lays a land and a Sensei's Divining Top. I draw a Tuktuk Scrapper cast a Goblin Chieftain and swing. He tops end of turn and miracles a turn 3 Terminus as well. The game goes on very long after this, but eventually I win with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Goblin Chieftain shenanigans. After writing about this game. I probably could have held back that Goblin Lackey on turn 2, Warren Instigator and Goblin Chieftain are plenty of a clock.

I board in 2 Earwig Squad, and 2 Chalice of the Void boarding out 3 Tarfire and 1 Tuktuk Scrapper. With Kiki-Jiki, Mirro Breaker mainboard Tuktuk Scrapper can cause some major havock against their Sensei's Divining Top, so I left one in.

Game 2:
    I don't remember this game very well. Imagine playing against miracles, but instead of drawing Goblin Matrons and Goblin Ringleaders, you lose.

Game 3:
    I also don't remember this one very well, end of the night, I was getting tired. I know these things happened:
    I landed Chalice of the Void for 1 on turn 2. Warren Weirding did work all day long between giving me a couple of 1/1's with a Goblin Chieftain to killing an Angel when he miracled for 1 early. I won this game after he'd used all 4 Terminus and 3 Supreme Verdict. He drew rather well for not having access to Sensei's Divining Top, Ponder or Brainstorm. He also never cast a Swords to Plowshares in any of the 3 games.

3-1 (2/1, 0/2, 2/1, 2/1)

What to take away about this deck:
    People will mulligan an otherwise good hand because they think you have Wasteland AND Rishadan Port if they know your on Goblins (8 versus 4 ways to interact with mana). Though it didn't surface, I think I will be swapping the 1 of the Goblin Sharpshooter for a Boartusk Liege. I really do fear Engineered Plague, and this decks gameplan is to... Race it. I still don't know how well this deck does against a deck with creatures in it sans-Merfolk. Any opinions on that?

[edit]Forgot to add Piledrivers to my deck. Oops.[/edit]
    Last edited by Olaf Forkbeard; 04-27-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

@olaf: thanks for the report.
    Several cards missing from yous list. Mind editing it?
    Id keep the 5 card hand against storm. But Id play Chalice on T2. The deal is you are pretty likely to loose that game, and though your opponent may discard chalice, it is way better at 1 than at 0. In that specific situation Id have gambled it and passed the turn with it in hand.
    - CotV is way better against miracles than Weirdings or Sting. Bring them all in.
    -this list can do well against creature decks. Granted, there arent many of those anymore...
    - Boartusk Liege is a house. Cutting a Shooter for it is the right thing

Enviado de meu GT-S6313T usando Tapatalk
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

This is going to sound stupid, but I like my decks looking nice. I'm also not a fan of full art lands. I was wondering what art mountains do yall think is most beautiful?

https://sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/home/mountain

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    @olaf: thanks for the report.
    Several cards missing from yous list. Mind editing it?
    Id keep the 5 card hand against storm. But Id play Chalice on T2. The deal is you are pretty likely to loose that game, and though your opponent may discard chalice, it is way better at 1 than at 0. In that specific situation Id have gambled it and passed the turn with it in hand.
    - CotV is way better against miracles than Weirdings or Sting. Bring them all in.
    -this list can do well against creature decks. Granted, there arent many of those anymore...
    - Boartusk Liege is a house. Cutting a Shooter for it is the right thing
    I thought pretty hard about it, in this one scenario I made the right decision on playing the Chalice of the Void for 0, but I see your point in that there is a longer stall available if he doesn't just have it. I generally agree with the other comments. Though I left in the Warren Weirding because in my personal experiences Knocking down 2 angels to 1 or even 3 to 2 makes it so racing seems like a bad option for them. You are probably right, I just stuck to my gut. I will try otherwise next time round.

My two favorites mountains though: This and this.

Apr 2010
    Germany

A few weeks ago I posted THIS list and said I wanted to try out Rakdos Charm as additional artifact hate against SFM.dec (priority °1) and generic graveyard hate and shenaningangs with Lackey-triggers (priority °2).
    Since then I had the chance to test a few games against Death & Taxes (which I would file under "SFM.dec") and here are my thoughts on the MU (with the list on the link).

* you usually win when there is no SFM around
    * Brimaz, turned out to be problematic, because my list has no effetive cards to deal with him
    * we need to try to trade 1:1 as often as possible and then resolve a Ringleader/Matron/Chieftain
    * 1 Tuktuk was hardly enough to deal with equipments
    * Rakdos Charm was irrelevant 100% of the times I drew it. It is really hard to resolve a non-goblin, non-creature spell with manacost >1, especially when it has a color.
    * overall we need to be the aggro deck, not the control deck.

These results got me thinking about more effective SB cards that support the aggressive route aka. removal or creatures. My first weapon of choice would be Tuktuk#2, but this guy is really clunkly and only relevant when your opponent has an equipment (you don't want to shatter a Revoker or Aether VIal in most cases). So I thought about Dismember as a solution for
    1. early Mother of RUnes
    2. early SFMs
    3. Brimaz
    4. Batterskull Tokens
    5. and whatever non-Brimaz creature is carrying a Sword of Fire and Ice.

I would like to hear some reactions on that - maybe some impressions on how other perceive this MU.

Thank you,

GL

//EDIT:
    @ Mountain topic: I use these in my Rb list.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

@ Mountains:

I like my full arts but second place goes to odyssey sunsets. Mountains gotta be red, but the palette feels forced for too many.

@ Dismember:

Seems like a solid idea. With the move away from gempalm, our larger creature removal is limited. I noticed you cut gempalm completely, I think it's still good enough for the 60 as a matron target.

My thoughts of the match-up are going more and more towards changing sides, DnT just seems like the better deck at our gameplan. It seems unlikely that we'll be getting many more good green men but relevant hatebears seem to come every block. Maybe Sulfur Elemental in the board? Doesn't solve the SFM problem but keeps most of their deck off the table. If only there was a targeted http://magiccards.info/ne/en/85.html to deal with TNN while we're at it.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

@Mountains

Jan 2014
    Québec

Dismember is nice, against most early-game creatures, and also against most late-game creatures. Also, it toys with the math of your opponents, as since they see 1 mana open, they think you have a Tarfire or a Bolt, but no, you kill their Tarmogoyf, Batterskull, or other beater with Dismember. Still, the Gempalm is Matroneable.
    On a side-note, in my casual B/R destroy/damage deck, one of my friend didn't really liked me that time :P He cast Griselbrand, and pass (casual game, as I said). So, I cast Dismember for four life at the end of his turn, he does nothing, and then a Sudden Shock. He was mad

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Foil full-art Zendikar loop mountains.

I think it is possible we judged Shattergang Brothers too harshly and too quickly... I will be testing him out over the next few weeks and will report my findings.

He may be as good or better against Sneak & Show than stuff like Confusion in the Ranks or Ashen Rider.

On the plus side:
    He's a goblin!
    3 toughness means he survives Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite and has a built in way to deal with her.
    CMC of 4 means he is un-decay-able.
    Sac effect does not target and can help deal with True-Name Nemesis.

Right now I am thinking he's a possible 2-of in the board. I am not confident he is main-deckable right now.

Thread Information