Page 39 of 509 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    Hey guys, I'm just checking, but how often do you cast SGC? Is he always cheated into play? I've hardcast just as many if not more times than I've cheated him in, but I wanted to make sure.
    I only cast SGC when I'm in late-game (mostly after a Ringleader, or topdecking). And that's like 10% of the time. Sometimes mid-game Vial @5 happens too, if we have no other play avaliable.

With Warren Instigators, you can get him off a Matron/Ringleader pretty easily.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I'm in an argument on another thread, wherein he's arguing that Goblins is not a mana-intensive list. I believe that's ludicrous.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

For me it's the same as Vandalize. Generally when SGC comes into play, you want to keep some mana open to shoot in case he gets a removal spell the same turn.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Vulvaapje!
    Jun 2007
    The Netherlands

Do you (metalwalker, vandalize) only run Mox or do you run Mox together with Vial (and Lackey)?
    Quit playing Legacy but could still play Goblins (Rgw, Rg, Rw, Rb)

ジェームス・ブラウン

I'm staring in the mirror looking at my biggest rival.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

They use both.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Hey Goblin fellows,

I`ve tested a Chrome Mox/Warren Instigator build so far and wouldn`t play without it in a post Mm meta. Missstep on turn one vial, or lackey really hurt the deck. WI is defenetly an solid option for goblins performing well in the future. The only thing I was unhappy with was my removel package, I´ve featured the following in an R/G build.

4 Ligthing Bolt
    1 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Stingscourger

Bolt as a 1c removel is really good, but too often a Goyf or something other is too big for it. Also Stingscourger is still a soft removel so you have only 5 real removel spells a bit to less for my taste. That all brings me to the idee of giving White a chance again. I think Swords to Plowshares could doing the job better in a list with a small removel package. Too bad that it doesn`t give us that great sideboard options like B or G maybe a 3 color list is the right way to go. Does someone have the same feelings/thoughts/ testing results?

In white we have Retribution of the Meek instead of Perish for all big creatures and it doesn't hurt goblins. We also have great Artifact/Enchatment Removal. I will test it.

I like retribution of the Meek, nobody knows it and it beats all fat Critters we fear.

Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by d0ner View Post
    In white we have Retribution of the Meek instead of Perish for all big creatures and it doesn't hurt goblins. We also have great Artifact/Enchatment Removal. I will test it.

I like retribution of the Meek, nobody knows it and it beats all fat Critters we fear.
    Sure thing, Retribution of the Meek can replace Perish easily, since we usually Perish when Tarmogoyfs/Knights are really big (and it also catches Progenitus/Emrakul). BUT, we lose our win-buttom against Combo Elves and random decks like B/G Infect (lol).

If I'd splash white, this would be my list:

Lands [22]
    7 R-Fetches
    3 Plateau
    6 Mountain
    4 Wasteland
    2 Chrome Mox

Core [26]

4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Warchief
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    4 AEther Vial
    2 Siege-Gang Commander

Others [12]

4 Warren Instigator
    3 Goblin Chieftain
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Gempalm Incinerator

Sideboard [15]

4 Chalice of the Void/Mindbreak Trap
    4 Retribution of the Meek/Pyrokinesis (depending on the meta)
    3 Disenchant
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Serenity

I don't know if Swords to Plowshares drawback (lifegain) is too relevant in Goblins. The next two removals would be Path to Exile and Condemn, but they're pretty worse than StP.

Serenity isn't a good answer to Enchantress imo, but the next best thing is Tempest of Light, which is a worse Back to Nature, but nobody plays enchantress, so whatever.

Another thing I'd like to say: My friend started building a Mono-R Goblins, and he didn't have the Wasteland set. So, he replaced them with 4 Rite of Flame. I thought it was a bad option, but when he ramped T1 Warchief I felt amazed :O Rite of Flame would also give us a possibility of T1 Warren Instigator/Piledriver, or even a T1 double Vial/double Lackey/Lackey-Vial.

Is it any viable?

Feb 2010
    Fürth, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    Another thing I'd like to say: My friend started building a Mono-R Goblins, and he didn't have the Wasteland set. So, he replaced them with 4 Rite of Flame. I thought it was a bad option, but when he ramped T1 Warchief I felt amazed :O Rite of Flame would also give us a possibility of T1 Warren Instigator/Piledriver, or even a T1 double Vial/double Lackey/Lackey-Vial.

Is it any viable?
    So we're playing more spells requiring RR to circumvent Misstep and then play another cc1 to make it faster ?
    From my point of view wasteland > Rite of Flame. Example being a Uw Landstill variant or a NOPro built where it's better to completely prohibit their solution by screwing their mana to just speed up your play. Yes sometimes the result will be identical, but if he doesn't draw the 4th mana again it's just permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    Serenity isn't a good answer to Enchantress imo, but the next best thing is Tempest of Light, which is a worse Back to Nature, but nobody plays enchantress, so whatever.
    I thought the same and played your last Rg built (-2 WI + 2 War Marshall MD) with naturalize instead of the mass enchantment hosers. Guess what: G1 enchantress, G3 enchantress and G4 enchantress with just 3 in the house and 30 players. Having the worst ringleaders EVER in my life didn't help but with just 2Krosan and the Naturalize I went 2:1; 1:2; 2:0.

Rite of Flame or any other 1.5 legal manaspeed > Wasteland . I think it`s the same with Chrome Mox. Chrome Mox adding some speed to the deck, that`s important if you run an Instigator releated build. The downside of doing that is that you cut off consistency, I think. Chrome Mox is most of the time a bad topdeck and doesn´t do anything alone, so 2 seems the right number to be. Further I defenitly want having an out against annoying utility lands.

I like Sword over Path, because I always have the feel giving your opponent an extra land drop is more worse, than giving life. With the extra land drop he can drop an answer against our green guys one turn earlier or spending the mana for finding an answer faster.

On the W-Splash: If there is a time were you could considering splashing white I think it`s now. Combo seems to go a bit back so black isn`t a must anymore for it, further Warren Weirding isn`t that good like it was. Ligthing Bolt doesn`t get rid of all the fatties. Drawback of white is that it doesn`t offer us the premium sideboard cards Persih and Krosan Grip, but a bit weaker cards like Retribution of the meek and disenchant, which aren`t bad at all.

I really enjoy the W-Splash actually. My list is pretty close to yours Vandalize.

Lands (22)

4 Plateau
    7 R - Fetchies
    4 Wasteland
    5 Mountain
    2 Chrome Mox

Core (26)

We all know it

Others (12)

3 Warren Instigator
    3 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Stingscourger (maybe it will become a second gempalm)

Sideboard (15)

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Retribution of the Meek
    3 Tormoad`s Crypt
    2 Disentchant
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Serenety

Siege-Gang Commander
    Feb 2008
    The Netherlands

You could run Crib Swap instead of StP as it's a goblin and makes goyf bigger for RotM (or at the very least run one as a tutor target).

Crib swap would be good, if it doesn`t cost 3 mana. You need a cheap and versatile removel, for clearing the way on turn 2 for lackey or instigator and it should be daze prove, if it`s possible. I`ll test it and give it a chance, but my first impression is that it is just too slow.

Siege-Gang Commander
    Feb 2008
    The Netherlands

Well StP would be our opponent's only MM target in the mid-late game. Dunno if you can count that as reliable removal to be honest.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Avatara View Post
    Well StP would be our opponent's only MM target in the mid-late game. Dunno if you can count that as reliable removal to be honest.
    This, in my testing, proved to be very truth. That's why Bolts got cut from my last SB.

But Swap being 3 cc is, imo, way too high.
    I agree that 1 as a target could be nice.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Hey fellow Warchiefs,

after some weeks of testing against decks (meaning: decklists) we will face post NPH I have developed a very good list, which I want to share with you guys.

Right now I don't have the rest to write a full report of my testing results. So for now you'll only get to see the decklist (which is by the way the most powerful list I ever tested!). This time I'm 100% sure about every slot in the deck and you can ask me anything if something appears strange to you.
    If you have questions about boarding plans and/or strategies in certain MUs feel free to ask.

//Lands [22]
    4 Wasteland
    5 Mountain
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands
    2 Chrome Mox

//Core [26]

//Others [12]
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    2 Stingscourger

1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
    3 Warren Instigator
    3 Mogg War Marshal

//Sideboard [15]
    3 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mental Misstep
    2 Earwig Squad
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Perish
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    Hey fellow Warchiefs,

after some weeks of testing against decks (meaning: decklists) we will face post NPH I have developed a very good list, which I want to share with you guys.

Right now I don't have the rest to write a full report of my testing results. So for now you'll only get to see the decklist (which is by the way the most powerful list I ever tested!). This time I'm 100% sure about every slot in the deck and you can ask me anything if something appears strange to you.
    If you have questions about boarding plans and/or strategies in certain MUs feel free to ask.

//Lands [22]
    4 Wasteland
    5 Mountain
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands
    2 Chrome Mox

//Core [26]

//Others [12]
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    2 Stingscourger

1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
    3 Warren Instigator
    3 Mogg War Marshal

//Sideboard [15]
    3 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mental Misstep
    2 Earwig Squad
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Perish
    Your deck is auto-loss against Engineered Plague? I don't see any out against it but those Earwig Squads.

Apr 2010
    Germany

True, Engineered Plague is still problemeatic but:

* in the last 5 SCG-Open-Top16 decks there were 9 copies of Engineered Plagues distibuted over only 3 decks.

3/80 T16-decks had E.Plague in SB (3,75%)
    9/6000 cards were E.Plagues (0,1%)
    9/1200 SB-slots were E.Plagues (0,7%)

* I don't think that this card will be included in the decks we have to worry about the most. Equipment strategies (and artifact-based decks) seem to be on a rise: Dreadstill, Raffinity, G/W Maverick and even Merfolk!
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Caterwauling Boggart
    Arms Dealer

I have limited testing with them, but I figured I'd throw the ideas out there. Can't find anywhere they've been discussed in either thread, although I'll admit I haven't gone through the entire 300+ pages yet.

Arms Dealer could supplement SGC to deal more damage to creatures when necessary, and Caterwauler is nice to have if they try to throw blockers in your way. Both obviously as one-ofs, not necessarily at the same time.

I have limited testing with the deck in general, honestly, as I was playing storm combo (SI) for a while. The meta is simply not 'friendly' to it right now, and I refuse to play blue, so I'm swinging with green men. My initial build is monored at this point, and I may stay thay way just for the consistency and mana-denial. The deck is just as fun as SI, by the way, so I'm glad I made the switch.

Here's my list.

22 Land
    14 Mountain, 4 Wasteland, 4 Rishadan Port

26 Core

4 Stingscourger
    4 Warren Instigator
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Kiki Jiki
    1 Caterwauling Boggart

I'm still on the fence on the SB, as I've noticed more removal will come in handy, along with the typical grave hate and such. Answers to Art/Ench are always a problem for any deck that's confined to red or black (my other attempt at an aggro deck).

So... I have 4 Gempalm I can put in the board, but I may include 1 Arms Dealer instead just because of how useless Gempalm can be sometimes, and to make more room. I have three Crypt for grave hate, and I'm leaning towards 4 Shattering Spree for artifact hate, just because I got viciously owned once by Torpor Orb.

Suggestions?

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    True, Engineered Plague is still problemeatic but:

* in the last 5 SCG-Open-Top16 decks there were 9 copies of Engineered Plagues distibuted over only 3 decks.

3/80 T16-decks had E.Plague in SB (3,75%)
    9/6000 cards were E.Plagues (0,1%)
    9/1200 SB-slots were E.Plagues (0,7%)

* I don't think that this card will be included in the decks we have to worry about the most. Equipment strategies (and artifact-based decks) seem to be on a rise: Dreadstill, Raffinity, G/W Maverick and even Merfolk!
    The problem with eplague is that lots of people include it against merfolk, which is on the rise. Even though goblins usually beats merfolk, we lose out to random black decks that toss in eplague.

As for caterwauling boggart, I was thinking of using Goblin Grappler which can kind of have a similar effect. You can have their creatures block the grappler and let your piledrivers sneak though.

GoboLord, why not run a single Boartusk Liege in your SB as insurance? The most popular black removals (Smother, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Innocent Blood, Diabolic Edict) will likely not able to remove it.

DarthVicious,
    I actually like Arms Dealer when I run a set of MWM, a Skirk Prospector, and a Goblin Sharpshooter. But whenever I used it, it was in a casual setting.
    As for your deck, I would personally not run more than one Stingscourger. It is pretty bad in most cases and only delays your opponent. Put some Lightning Bolts and GIs in his place. I also do not like Caterwauling Boggart due to it's mana curve. As for your sideboard, try something like this:
    3 Pyrokinesis
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    4 Mindbreak Trap
    X Pyoblast / Anarchy / Shatterstorm
    Nice single Kiki-Jiki.

As for my personal deck, I am currently running with Mono Red as well.

Lands (20)
    16 Mountain
    4 Wasteland

Core (26)

Others (14)
    4 Warren Instigator
    2 Lightning Bolt
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    2 Basilisk Collar
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Goblin Tinkerer
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Gempalm Incinerator

Sideboard:
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Pyrokinesis
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Shatterstorm
    3 Summoning Trap

I am really liking Basilisk Collar when I need to go defensive. It is also insane when attached to either Lightning Crafter or Goblin Sharpshooter. Basilisk Collar also works great with Bloodmark Mentor in my green splash deck.
    Last edited by L10; 05-23-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Thread Information