Page 405 of 509 FirstFirst ... 305355395401402403404405406407408409415455505 ... LastLast
Results 8,081 to 8,100 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Re: [Deck] Goblins

I found a YouTube channel with a couple sweet Goblin videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDu...UC0yPq_x7qRE8A

Hi people. I have been play testing my Goblins list (Winstigator) with Pyrokinesis in the main deck. I've been finding it extremely powerful at throwing Goblins down, even without AEther Vial. This is where my question comes in, what could I add to the mainboard instead of AEther Vial, because with the Pyrokinesis in the main, I'm finding throwing Goblins down for free extremely easy. I was thinking maybe adding another goblin to replace it? Thoughts?

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    I found a YouTube channel with a couple sweet Goblin videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDu...UC0yPq_x7qRE8A
    So far I've seen some games against S&T, this player is a very confidant Goblins-player. Thank you for this link!

Quote Originally Posted by Brentane View Post
    Hi people. I have been play testing my Goblins list (Winstigator) with Pyrokinesis in the main deck. I've been finding it extremely powerful at throwing Goblins down, even without AEther Vial. This is where my question comes in, what could I add to the mainboard instead of AEther Vial, because with the Pyrokinesis in the main, I'm finding throwing Goblins down for free extremely easy. I was thinking maybe adding another goblin to replace it? Thoughts?
    Well, there was one guy on this forum who dropped Vial, I don't know what his deck was but he was happy with it. Suggestions are: Moggcatcher (weak against creature-removal, very slow to begin with) or Goblin Wizard (Vial on a stick), but other than that nothing comes to mind. Keep in mind that for most of us Vial is a stockcard.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Brentane View Post
    I really wonder how you plan on beating decks like RUG Thresh, BUG Delver/Team America, Stoneblade and MIracles without Aether Vial. There is no replacement for this card. You have to rethink your strategy and mulligan decisions in a list wíthout Aether Vial and this may include working on your manacurve. Things you could try are:

Skirk Prospector
    Mogg War Marshal
    even more spotremoval (like Stingscourger)
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by woodjt5 View Post
    I've used him before and liked him. The Batterskull interaction is cute, but he's still swinging in to gain 4 every turn. I don't think he is bad, quite the opposite actually, but I think that your sideboard slots can be used more effectively.
    You are missing it entirely. You only tried it in the board against batterskull. I am saying it should be a one of in the main because it is relevant in almost every fair matchup.
    Last edited by Suitch; 11-23-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Dec 2011
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Suitch View Post
    You are missing it entirely. You only tried it in the board against batterskull. I am saying it should be a one of in the main because it is relevant in almost every fair matchup.
    Okay. Let's talk about "every fair match up."

UR Delver: Eats 1/2 of a forked bolt, but if it ever survives, I could see it being good against pyromancer tokens. But what are we cutting from the main? It can't be a core card. It can't be artifact removal. You could cut a removal spell, but those are better here than the Loyalist. And if we want to add a card to address this match up, Sharpshooter is certainly better. The verdict here is that it would be fine, not great, and that your issue is what to cut. If I'm adding a bullet to my main deck it has to be absolutely vital for a common match up or it has to win the game on its own. Examples: Tuktuk Scrapper, Goblin Sharpshooter, Krenko, Mob Boss.

UWr Stoneforge: Cute interaction with Batterskull, but the thing can just swing back and hit you for 4 life. If we're just talking about "address Batterskull" cards, I'd place Loyalist squarely behind Tuktuk, Stingscourger, and Pyrokinesis. The other creatures are Delver, TNN, and Stoneforge. Loyalist is irrelevant against all of those.

Deathblade: DRS, TNN, Stoneforge Mystic, Delver of Secrets. NONE of those cards care about Legion Loyalist. Congratulations on your Raging Goblin.

Elves: The first Strike could be relevant if they are blocking, but Elves only blocks in two situations: 1) they are already way behind and just trying not to die; 2) they are way ahead and have so many guys that it doesn't matter if they trade. In either scenario, Loyalist doesn't really affect the outcome of the game. Again, Sharpshooter should be your bullet of choice here.

Miracles: Completely Irrelevant.

BUG Delver: DRS, TNN, Goyf, Delver of Secrets. None of these creatures care abotu First Strike or trample, and none are tokens.

Combo: Completely Irrelevant.

Death and Taxes: It is probably most relevant here. However, this match-up is already very favorable for my build and I don't feel like I need to add cards to the main to address it. Further, Sharpshooter is better and I find myself to very rarely be the beatdown. Removal is key, so again, I'm not sure what you'd cut.

Jund: Relevant against Bob and Bloodbraid. It seems pretty good here. But again, what are we cutting? and who is playing Jund?

Merfolk: Their guys will probably be islandwalking or TNN, and Piledriver already has pro-Blue. Two trains passing in the night. For the trading situations, Loyalist could be good, but I'd rather have a Tarfire or Pyrokinesis.

So there you go. I don't think I've missed anything. Ultimately, the card is decent but not good enough to deserve a slot.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Although i think that legion loyalist does not deserve a main deck slot, i also think that woodjt5 is a bit underestimating him in his analysis.
    When you say that creatures like nemesis, stoneforge , deathrite, delver completely ignore loyalist you totally forget about the trample ability. Situations may happen where the opponent is hiding behind some blockers against your double piledriver, or piledriver plus random other goblins .... in these cases a well-timed loyalist can win the match for you with trample damage.
    However, i think that these scenarios don't often happen and they are not a reason to run loyalist. If the board is stalled, just tutor something better than loyalist (krenko) and he will win the game for you anyway while being better in almost every other case. The only possible upside of loyalist is that he has natural haste, so it is more likely that he will do his job before dying, while krenko could die before ever getting to make tokens. But then again we play haste lords, and the opponent may have mana open to kill loyalist before battalion trigger..... overall he is just a swingy card that can win some matches but is inferior to other choices.

If you want to have fun with loyalist, you can make a dedicated build with 4x loyaiist, 4x piledriver, 4x rabblemaster, 4x goblin pyromancer.... seems that all these goblins make trample and first strike pretty relevant It won't be very competitive, but some games would probably be total blowouts .

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

4-0:ed another local legacy tournament. I will post more about it along with my report on GPNJ + side events.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

GPNJ Report, went 6-3 with 2 byes

Here's the list I played.
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Goblin Lackey
    1 Skirk Prospector
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Goblin Piledriver
    3 Goblin Warchief
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    3 Tarfire
    1 Warren Weirding
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Gempalm Incinerator

4 Wasteland
    2 Rishadan Port
    5 Snow-Covered Mountain
    2 Badlands
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Nameless Inversion
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

The Nameless Inversion was there as a tutorable answer to Kor Firewalker, which I expected to see a decent amount of play, didn't face it in the main event thoug.

R1 Bye
    R2 Bye

R3 UB Omnitell L

R4 Burn W

R5 Burn W

R6 UR Delver W

G3 I managed to stabilize at one life. This game was super tight, but a combination of Chalice, War Marshal and removal spells got me there.

R7 BUG delver L

He was on the more tempo-oriented version with dazes and stifles, so I was a bit surprised to see TNN, SoFaI, Engineered Plague and Chill after board.

R8 Reanimator W

G1 I raced him as best as I could. When he played a Show and Tell I put Matron into play, fetching a Weirding to kill his Elesh Norn. Having no board presence anymore I started playing creatures again, but he played Exhume. At this point I figured I had almost certainly lost, him being at fourteen. But I put matron into play (my hand at this point was Tarfire + Gempalm), fetching a second Tarfire, figuring If I drew the third one and the Krenko I could Win. However, next turn he reanimates Griselbrand, going to 6 life. I eot cycle gempalm. Untap, vial in ringleader, hit a matron, matron for tarfire #3, and triple tarfire him for lethal.

R9 Burn L

Afterwards I cut the fifth mountain for the third badlands, and I've been happy about that. I also cut the Nameless Inversion, and am currently testing the second Sharpshooter in that slot.

Local legacy 4-0

R1 Tezzeret 2-1
    My opponent is a friend of mine and I know what he's on. This is a good matchup, but his new build with Stoneforge mystic seems a lot better. I lose g1 after not being able to handle all the artifacts he put into play (batterskull, Jitte, Thopterfoundry, Trinisphere etc) and then make a comeback in g2. G3 I keep a mediocre hand of 3 wasteland, vial and some four drops. He leads with delta, pass. I play vial which meets a fow. He plays a land and a stoneforge, getting batterskull. I double wasteland him. He plays a third land which I wasteland, and then he's out of lands while I draw out of it fairly quickly. I also had a pyrokinesis backup for his mystic.

R2 Death and Taxes 2-1
    G3 He gets an early kor firewalker into play. I have matron to be able to fetch weirding, but he just keeps on putting creatures into play. I use two tarfires to slow him down. Finally I get a sharpshooter into play and on my next turn I manage to kill all his creatures except for the Firewalker and a Serra Avenger. I then swing with the team (including two lackeys) He pops a ratchet bomb for one and I use the untap triggers to kill of his avenger. Then I play Weirding for his firewalker and win from there.

R3 Stoneblade Control 2-1
    My discard spells did a ton of work here.
    G2 I thoughtseized a Sword of Fire and Ice and then Cabal Therapied his Jitte and TNN. G3 I cabal therapied his SoFaI and 2 plows.

R4 ANT 2-1
    A clock and disruption got there G2 & 3. G2 I therapied a ritual and then chose to take his Pyroclasm on the flashback which I think was correct. G3 I made sure to always hold up mana for Relic of Progenitus.

Thoughts on the deck: Having more red and black sources has been great. Chalice, discard and Plague have been excellent. It's easy sometimes to oversideboard. A couple of times I found myself sideboarding out the hastelords to bring in answers to my opponents' cards, but this weakened my own gameplan too much. Mogg War Marshal is great versus the aggressive decks. I am confident that 3 tarfires, 2 pyrokinesis and 2 gempalm is the "correct" split. The weirding is nice to have versus TNN, among other things. Piledriver is nice to have to be able to put a fast clock on your opponent, but one is enough, to be able to tutor for it. When every other deck was running 1/2s in the form of drs and sfm I favored chieftain over warchief. Now I like the 3-1 split in favor of warchief. One of the main reasons for this is the ability to go t3 warchief, t4 matron>sharpshooter. I am currently very happy about the deck, but am still tweaking it and continuing to figure things out. Next GP I'll hopefully put up better results.

Btw, what are your thoughts on our matchup versus this deck? http://www.channelfireball.com/video...pirate-cruise/
    It seems very overpowered compared to the rest of the metagame.

Jan 2014
    Québec

I went to a local tournament with 1K prizes and with 50 people, and classed 16th with 3 wins, 2 losses and 1 draw.

My list:
    Lands:
    4x Cavern of souls
    2x Wasteland
    3x Badlands
    5x Fetches
    8x mountains

Creatures
    4x Goblin Lackey
    4x Goblin Ringleader
    4x Goblin Matron
    3x Goblin Warchief
    3x Goblin Piledriver
    3x Mogg War Masrhal
    3x Gempalm Incinerator
    2x Goblin Chieftain
    1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1x Goblin Settler
    1x Tuktuk Scrapper
    1x Stingscourger
    1x Siege-Gang Commander

Other
    4x Aether Vial
    3x Tarfire

Sideboard
    3X Cabal Therapy
    3x Relic of Progenitus
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Warren Weirding
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Chalice of the Void
    1x Earwig Squad

My games:
    I had some luck on the dices, as I always went first on the first game.

Round 1: vs Alex with RU Delver, lost 0-2
    Nothing to say there, my ass got rotovated. I sided in Chalice and some control, but didn't got anything after mulliganing to 5...

Record: 0-1

Round 2: vs Rafaël with BU Reanimator, won 2-1
    Game 1: Elesh Norn turn 1, Iona on red turn 2. Scooped.
    Game 2: Stingscourger is a beast. He Show and Tell for Griselbrand, I put Matron for Stingscourger. Next turn, I play Stingscourger (no cavern), he draw 7 cards, but didn't got a Force, so Griselbrand goes back to the hand. He discards Elesh Norn and pass, and Exhume, forgetting I sacrified Stingscourger for his echo cost, and bye goes Elesh (I lost a token, a matron and a scourge. Worth it). Then I play Siege-Gang Commander, he is at 6. He plays Show and tell for Elesh Norn, I put Earwig Squad (which survives), I Warren Weirding his Elesh, he Forces it (hence getting at 5), I re-cast Warren Weirding (I had two ), and swing for lethal with the Squad.
    Game 3: Turn 1 Relic, turn two Waste his only land, turn three Chalice @ 1, and the game goes for me all the way. He eventually destroy the relic and the chalice with two Ratchet Bombs, but he was so behind that I eventually won.

Record: 1-1

Round 3: vs Jeff with Maverick, draw 1-1-1
    Game 1: Tarfire really was the MVP there, and Matron + Kiki-Jiki is really strong.
    Game 2: I got a meh hand, and eventually lost on the long run.
    Game 3: Cabal therapy is really strong. And I got 2, with Mogg War Marshall Sadly, the other games were too long, and we got into additionnal turns, and made a draw. What pisses me off is that I would've won next turn, with a Ringleader on two Tarfires, and he was at 2

Record: 1-1-1

Round 4: vs Dominic with BU Reanimator (another ), lost 0-2
    Game 1: Elesh Norn turn 1. AGAIN. Iona on red turn 2 AGAIN.
    Game 2: He play Show and tell turn 1, for Griselbrand, I only could put Goblin Settler for his only land (not a bad choice), I Warren Weirding his Griselbrand, waste his second land but after that, I drew like 7 lands, so he recovered and I lost.

Record: 1-2-1

Round 5: vs Patrick with a homebrew deck, WG with Aether Vial, Gaddock Teeg (very useful against us ), Talia, Knight of the Reliquary and some other things. Won 2-0
    Game 1: I drew the three Tarfire and the three Incinerators, he couldn't play much...
    Game 2: Lackey turn 1, Settler turn 2, Kiki turn 3, he scoops.

Record: 2-2-1

Round 6: vs Yannick with ANT, surprisingly won 2-1
    Game 1: He comboes out turn 1 (mana mana mana, Ad nauseam, double lion-eye diamond, Past in flame, Infernal Tutor, tendrils...)
    Game 2: Chalice @ 0, Relic of Progenitus, pass, he plays nothing, Chalice @ 1, and then it's a quite long game until I kill him. He couldn't do anything because of the chalices, the Relic and my two wastelands.
    Game 3: He let me play first ( won't complain though), I hesitate between casting Cabal Therapy or Relic, and I settle on Cabal Therapy for Dark Ritual... He had two! He duresses me out of my Relic, I don't do anything on turn two, he neither, I cast Matron for Settler, I sacrifice Matron to call Cabal Ritual (he had two too ), and I wear him out until I kill him.

Record: 3-2-1

I got 16th place (but it pisses me off about the draw, since I would have been in the top 8 then, I checked), and it's Miracles that won the tournament.

After-Thoughts:
    -Cabal Therapy is OP! I got so much value out of it that I may consider mainboarding them.
    -Goblin Piledriver disappointed me again... I may consider removing one of them, or eventually two, depending of what I have. Yes they are powerful, but in my meta, there is so much control, burn or comboes that it does practically nothing. Yes, I may have won once or twice because of him, but it was only win-more... Still, I think it is needed for the explosiveness against some decks, but not three-of...
    -Man, I may consider mainboarding Warren Weirding, since it's so useful against practically any MU (except Lands, but fuck Lands)
    -Earwig Squad won me a game, but the same problem with Piledrivers: he is too conditionnal (I need to deal damage with a Goblin AND have him in my hands, but the MU I want him in are already difficult to deal damage to... I once in an earlier tournament put a matron with lackey fetching him and casting him for the three equipments of Deathblade, but I was just lucky the dude didn't had a Swords to Plowshares in his hands)
    -Chalice is REALLY useful against some hard MU (burn, UR Delver if I had it, Reanimator, Storm, etc).
    Last edited by Raznaak; 11-30-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Nov 2014
    Geneva

Thanks for the report Raznaak!

You are talking about the Cabals Therapy, and I totally agree with you: when i board them in, they are always really helpfull. But if you want to maindeck them, i'd suggest you to play at least the 4th Badland and maybe one or two Auntie's Hovel (i play three and i never had any problem with that), since they help stabilizing the manabase.

Now my question to all: how would you sideboard against Miracle (even if it's a good MU). For example, would you play the Cabal? How much anti-creature to you take out (because an EtA turn 4 (2 tokens) can be gamebreaker, as I experienced yesterday. Warren seems really sweet. But what about the incinerator (btw, what is your feeling about this guys nowaday?)?

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgobs View Post
    Now my question to all: how would you sideboard against Miracle (even if it's a good MU). For example, would you play the Cabal? How much anti-creature to you take out (because an EtA turn 4 (2 tokens) can be gamebreaker, as I experienced yesterday. Warren seems really sweet.
    As you already stated: this MU should usually be a problematic one. However, you can give away your superior position by boarding too much. Miracles has troubles with us, because we don't let them use their countermagic effetively AND at the same time dish out such a huge amount of creatures. My suggestions for SBing is to take out as many non-Vial-non-creature spells as possible and increase the number of creatures in G2 as much as possible. So, Tarfire and Warren Weirding and Pyrokinesis are likely candidates. As a rule of thumb you could say that you should not side out a creature card in favor of a non-creature-card.

But what about the incinerator (btw, what is your feeling about this guys nowaday?)?
    I personally don't think that Gempalm Incinerator is a good choice right now, given the fact that many threatening creatures today are x/2 or weaker AND demand a removalspell in very early stages of the game. Gempalm Incinerator does not reliably deal 2 damage by turn 3, which is why I prefer Tarfire, Pyrokinesis and Stingscourger here.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Now my question to all: how would you sideboard against Miracle (even if it's a good MU). For example, would you play the Cabal? How much anti-creature to you take out (because an EtA turn 4 (2 tokens) can be gamebreaker, as I experienced yesterday. Warren seems really sweet. But what about the incinerator (btw, what is your feeling about this guys nowaday?)?
    It depends on your list. I would side in Chalice of the Void to stop their cantrips and plows. The games tend to go quite long, which means you see more cards, which means chalice stops more cards. I normally wouldn't bring in discard spells, as they are very good at playing from the top of the deck, and you want to keep a high threat density. I keep my two gempalms to deal with various angel tokens, snapcasters, cliques etc, because they function as creatures and can be cycled as well. If they have stoneforge mystic I would play more removal/therapies.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    I personally don't think that Gempalm Incinerator is a good choice right now, given the fact that many threatening creatures today are x/2 or weaker AND demand a removalspell in very early stages of the game. Gempalm Incinerator does not reliably deal 2 damage by turn 3, which is why I prefer Tarfire, Pyrokinesis and Stingscourger here.
    I agree that gempalm is not as good as it once was. However, it is still very useful. We have a powerful tutor in Goblin Matron, and being able to find gempalm as your removal of choice to get rid of larger creatures, create card advantage, or use as uncounterable removal can be very important. I would play at least one, and would suggest adding the second one as well.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I played Wednesday night and went 1-2. I played the sames Rb list as last time with 2 Earwig squads main. The only difference was this time I dropped the 1-of Gempalm in my list and ran a lone Sharpshooter MD instead. Sharpshooter seems too good against Elves and UR to not run right now.

R1 I beat BR Pox Control by playing around his outs G1. G2 I Earwig Squad-ed him twice and stripped most of his win-cons. He hit me with double E Plague and I couldn't win, but neither could he without Dark Depths or Bloodghasts left in his deck. We dre in extra turns and i wont the match 1-0-1.

R2 I lost to MUD. I had a good game 1 where he led with Trinisphere, but I was able to play through it better than he could and I quickly won. G2 being up one game I kept a very slow 7 that had lands and 3+ cmc Gobbos. Story of my life, right? He played a bunch of beaters too quickly and I lost horribly. G3 I mulled into oblivion. Hand 1 was 6 lands and a Stingscourger. Hand 2 was 6 Goblins, no land. Hand 3 was 3 slow gobbos and 2 lands and I lost quickly.

R3 Was against Storm, so i lost G1. G2 I mulled into oblivion and kept 4 card hand of Grafdiggers Cage, Chalice, and 2 lands. I played T1 Cage and Chalice at 0. I ripped a 2nd chalice T2 and played it on 1. Then I ripped a 2 drop and got my clock on, enabling and Earwig Prowl and eliciting a scoop from the Storm player. G3 was on camera but wasn't worth posting as I mulled to 6, kept a hand without a 1-drop or hate, and got T2'd.

Mulligans were the name of the game. I should have mulled to give myself a chance R2, G2. There was nothing I could have done about the mull G3 that round. R3 I should have mulled to 5. My hand had no hate and a relatively slow clock. I was praying for a topdeck to save me and it was not to be.

SCG ATL short-version report (brain is fried, if you want me to expand on anything I'll get back to you after I sleep)

Last night at the Open Trial:

R1 - UW Miracles (stoneblade?) - fairly straightforward matchup, but I saw 0 counterbalance and he had TNNs? Terminus wasn't a big deal and I never saw an entreat. Took the match 2-0

R2 - Maverick - I cannot win this matchup for the life of me. It was against a friend so it's good that one of us won I guess. He had god draws twice in a row, complete lock between mom, knight, thalia, scryb ranger, and that other 1/1 that lets you sac a land to give shroud PLUS Jitte, SoFI, and SoLS. 0-2 loss.

R3 - GOBLINS!!!! - Game 1 was super intense, I started out strong and got him down to ~10. He wiped me and started building up, getting me down to 5ish. I came back through his siege-gang and friends for the win. Game 2 he was on 3 mogg war marshal + krenko and I resolved a sharpshooter. 2-0 win.

R4 - I can't even remember, I'll update if I think of it. I won though. EDIT: It was pox! Aether Vial is the key card against pox and I was able to get it. Awkward times playing around Tabernacle game 2 but I did it correctly. 2-0 win

3-1, got 6 packs of KTK as prize

---------------------

Legacy Open:

R1 - Belcher kills me turn 1. Then he kills me turn 3 (I had lethal on board) in game 2. 0-2 loss

R2 - Miracles, pretty easy win. Mainboard archangel of thune threw me for a loop. He was also playing hallowed fountains, so I'm guessing budget and/or new player. I won 2-0 through like 6 terminuses throughout the match.

R3 - Enchantress (first time with this matchup). This was a ridiculous match. I cannot possibly remember every detail, but I got game 1 though many obnoxious elephant grasses and similar damage preventing enchants. Game 2 I lose to an eventual army of 5 angels. Game 3 started with 5 minutes on the clock, I ran out piledriver and warchief (but couldn't pay to attack with them just yet through elephant grass). He let his shields down for one turn and I topdecked a second piledriver to swing with piledriver, piledriver, warchief, stingscourger for 17, putting him to 2 (he fetched earlier). He lays down humility and the white enchant that prevents damage and is about to set up a complete lock but I topdeck tarfire for the win! 2-1 win

R4 - High Tide (feline) - this was a really fun match. I got a game on her but she combo'd out on the other two the turn before I had lethal. Pyroblasts from the board were great, as was rishadan port which I haven't abandoned yet. 1-2 loss

R5 - UR delver - mull to 5 on the play both times and they were mediocre hands at best. I got overrun and lost hard game 1, and game 2 I was one red source away from warchief -> sharpshooter -> wipe his board and win next turn. 0-2 loss

R6 - Enchantress (AGAIN?!) - I didn't realize they can hard cast emrakul. Oh boy. Also turn 2 E-plague game 1 was ridiculous, but not as crazy as the fact that I won that game. This match went forever and we drew 1-1-1.

R7 - Elves - game 1 was pretty close. He NO'd for hoof and I killed a guy in response and bounced hoof with vial->stingscourger. Sorta durdled around for a few more turns until I was able to catch him tapped out (tarfired heritage druid mid-combo so he had to pass). All he had was Ooze on 4 so I cycled gempalm, found removal and swung in for lethal. Game 2 was one mana away from a ludicrous line to victory but I couldn't pull it out. He had progenitus tapped (hit me down to 8), wirewood, DRS, quirion ranger, and nettle sentinel. I had a full grip and what I wanted to do was matron -> skirk prospector -> sharpshooter, clear his little guys, then tutor for either piledriver (lethal) or warren weirding to stop progenitus but was one mana short of both lines. Game 3 he went hoof mode on like turn 4 and I couldn't really help it. 1-2 loss

R8 - ANT - had no idea what I was against for about 3 turns on G1 but then he went off and I died a horrible tendril-filled death. G2 I was working with 3 warchiefs and nothing else, and at one point he echoing truthed them, but I was able to recast and kill before he could find his combo pieces. He told me afterwards that my conservative casting of my warchiefs rather than jamming them ended up being the correct line as I was leaving up port to tap his swamp stopping him from going off. G3 was super close, another 1-mana off situation, but this time in my favor. We played a really long game with me fighting through 3 pyroclasm + echoing truth AND a tendrils for 14 which put me to 1 life. We eventually got to the win-now-or-lose bit of the game and I did as much damage as I could do (minus 1) and dropped settler off a lackey and blew up a volcanic island. It ended up being him needing that last land to use his topdecked dark ritual -> flashback PiF -> flashback ritual -> tendrils. won 2-1

R9 - Miracles - he was pretty unfamiliar with each goblin, so that was a good sign. Never saw entreat the angels, which is a recipe for success for the ol' goobs. I think the early K-grip on his top game 2 ended up doing tons more work than it seemed, as he was playing off the top of his deck for the whole match. won handily 2-0, through many-a-terminus and swords to plowshares.

final record: 4-4-1
    89th place

six. combo. matchups.

...six.

in Atlanta. The fair deck region.

------------------
    deck:

MAIN
    4 lackey
    4 piledriver
    4 matron
    4 warchief
    4 ringleader
    2 stingscourger
    1 skirk prospector
    1 grenzo
    1 tin street hooligan
    1 sharpshooter
    1 gempalm incinerator
    1 tuktuk scrapper
    1 goblin settler
    1 kiki jiki

3 tarfire

4 aether vial

4 cavern
    4 wasteland
    3 rishadan port
    4 arid mesa
    2 wooded foothills
    3 mountain
    2 badlands
    1 taiga

SIDE
    3 relic of progenitus
    1 grafdigger's cage
    2 ashen rider (never used em :\ )
    2 pyroblast
    2 krosan grip
    1 ancient grudge
    2 pyrokinesis
    1 surgical extraction
    1 warren weirding

discussion/question on build choices appreciated, im going to bed for now though.

Jan 2014
    Québec

So, in light of the last tournament, I plan to make some changes (my decklist is up there, if you want to compare it)

Maindeck
    -2 Piledrivers (1 left in MD, 1 to the sideboard just in case, as I said he was not the reason I won my games and most of the times, I don't have him in hands and I need to fetch him, or I can't play him, or he isn't relevant in that MU)
    -1 Goblin Incinerator (2 left in MD, since he is useful, but as I said, there is so much control in my meta I don't have many goblins most of the time)
    +3 Cabal Therapy
    -1/2 Mountain
    +1/2 Whatever land I need (be it Badlands and/or fetches or Auntie's)

Sidedeck
    -3 Cabal Therapy (to the MD)
    -1 Earwig Squad (may be back, depending of how the deck feels after the changes)
    +1 Goblin Piledriver (from the MD)
    +1 Goblin Incinerator (may leave for a more relevant card)
    +2 Indecisive cards (see note)

The cards I can't choose from are:
    +2 Pyrokinesis (for the new UR Delver deck and the like)
    +1 Boartusk Liege (escape most burn and control and boosts my green men) and +1 Chalice of the Void (Obvious reasons)
    +1 Chalice and +1 Stingscourger (dude's awesome against Reanimator and SnT, which are popular in my meta, as well as against most decks for the kill)
    +1 Boartusk and +1 Stingscourger
    +3 Pyrokinesis and -1 Incinerator from the Sideboard.
    +2/3 Extirpate/Surgical Extraction (because damn those would have been useful against all of them, especially with Cabal MD now) -0/1 Incinerator

What are your thoughts?

Also, what are your thoughts about Relic of Progenitus vs Grafdigger's Cage, since I've seen my share of Reanimator and Green Sun Zenith yesterday?

Edit @goblinpiledrive
    You play three colors? That's a tad risky, and I kinda know what I'm talking about (played RWB for like two months before trying RB, loving it so far).
    Also, since you seems to like to play Warchief and no chieftain, TSH and Warchief is kind of a nonbo. And you really don't like artifacts (2 gobo-shatters MD and 3 spells that destroy artifacts SB)
    Although, I am kind of new to the Legacy world (since April, I think, when I won the local 1K with the RW brew), and I may not know all the shenanigans yet, and I don't know your meta. Sorry if it displeased you.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Raznaak View Post
    So, in light of the last tournament, I plan to make some changes (my decklist is up there, if you want to compare it)

Maindeck
    -2 Piledrivers (1 left in MD, 1 to the sideboard just in case, as I said he was not the reason I won my games and most of the times, I don't have him in hands and I need to fetch him, or I can't play him, or he isn't relevant in that MU)
    -1 Goblin Incinerator (2 left in MD, since he is useful, but as I said, there is so much control in my meta I don't have many goblins most of the time)
    +3 Cabal Therapy
    -1/2 Mountain
    +1/2 Whatever land I need (be it Badlands and/or fetches or Auntie's)

Sidedeck
    -3 Cabal Therapy (to the MD)
    -1 Earwig Squad (may be back, depending of how the deck feels after the changes)
    +1 Goblin Piledriver (from the MD)
    +1 Goblin Incinerator (may leave for a more relevant card)
    +2 Indecisive cards (see note)

The cards I can't choose from are:
    +2 Pyrokinesis (for the new UR Delver deck and the like)
    +1 Boartusk Liege (escape most burn and control and boosts my green men) and +1 Chalice of the Void (Obvious reasons)
    +1 Chalice and +1 Stingscourger (dude's awesome against Reanimator and SnT, which are popular in my meta, as well as against most decks for the kill)
    +1 Boartusk and +1 Stingscourger
    +3 Pyrokinesis and -1 Incinerator from the Sideboard.
    +2/3 Extirpate/Surgical Extraction (because damn those would have been useful against all of them, especially with Cabal MD now) -0/1 Incinerator

What are your thoughts?

Also, what are your thoughts about Relic of Progenitus vs Grafdigger's Cage, since I've seen my share of Reanimator and Green Sun Zenith yesterday?
    I like and agree with the changes to your list. As for the sideboard, pyrokinesis is a great card, and so is chalice of the void, I would use the last slots for those cards.

I play a split between Relic and Cage at the moment. It's been working out well for me, but I can't say that it's correct as confidently as I could argue for some of my other choices. I like having access to the one cage to stop Zenith, as well as fringe cards like Birthing Pod, but feel it's unnecessary to play more than one unless you think it's the better choice versus the graveyard based decks. Relic can be useful versus BUG decks as well, and is easier on your own Cabal Therapies against decks like storm and reanimator where you would want to have both. As I have been adding more black sources to my deck, I have been thinking about trying out Nihil Spellbomb, since you don't have to keep mana open to pop it, which is good versus the fast combo decks. My intuition tells me Relic will still be better for us, but it's worth trying still. Just my two cents, still really like your list.

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

Del.

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

Dear Warchiefs!
    I'm going to play in one of the biggest tournament in Russia TopDeck Open.
    And i want your advice about sb.

Now there are 13 cards
    3 relic of progenitus
    1 boartusk liege
    1 krosan grip
    1 red elemental blast
    1 pyroblast
    2 magus of the moon
    3 swan song
    1 flusterstorm

In 2 free slots i want cards that can help to beat burn. I think about Jitte+CotV.
    Give me your advices please.

I expect 50% of RUG, TA, BUG Control, UR, UWR Delver, UWR Pyromant, 30% miracles and 20% all other decks. So i want to prepair my sb for this metagame.

Relics for tarmo, pushfire, lands, dredge, ant and so on
    Liege for plague, charms, pushfire
    Blasts for cruize
    Magus for BUG
    Swan song for miracles and combo
    Fluster for combo.

In main i have
    4 lackey
    4 vial
    3 instigator
    3 gempalm
    2 tarfire
    1 sting
    1 tin
    1 tuk
    1 shooter
    1 kiki
    1 settler
    3 chieftain
    4 matron
    4 ringleader
    2 mwm
    3 pyrokinesis
    22 lands

I'm not sure about Maguses. Think it can be something more usefull in this metagame.

Thread Information