Page 460 of 509 FirstFirst ... 360410450456457458459460461462463464470 ... LastLast
Results 9,181 to 9,200 of 10178

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Another weekly event. Here's what I ran.

4 Lackey
    4 Piledriver
    4 Matron
    4 Ringleader
    4 Chieftain
    3 Instigator*
    2 Incinerator
    2 Subterranean Scout
    1 Siege-gang Commander
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Goblin Warchief*
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tin-Street Hooligan
    2 Tarfire
    1 Collected Company
    3 Aether Vial
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Rishadan Port
    2 Wasteland
    3 Cavern
    6 Fetches
    2 Taiga
    4 Mountain

//SB
    1 Krenko*
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Tin Street Hooligan*
    1 Sudden Demise
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Chalice of the Void
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Trinisphere

A few cards off of last time, marked with an asterisk. I wanted a Warchief in there somewhere. Cuts are getting hard. I dropped an Instigator because it happened more than once that I would have a Lackey effect with nothing to put into play. Similar feelings to last time regarding Chrome Mox and Pendelhaven. Some games the Mox just sat in my hand. Pendelhaven shows up and magically steals a game. This list feels strong. It hits hard and fast. I miss the fun, toolbox plays. I miss Settler.

Onto the games:
    ANT, 0-2.
    I have a quick start game one, but my opponent goes for a natural Tendrils on turn 2 or 3. Game two I open on a no-lander with Chalice. I consider it, but I have no one drop. I'd be sitting on my hands for several turns even if I hit running lands. I have a nice looking six, in any other match up. No action until turn three. Mulligan to five. Find five goblins. I keep a decent four. Land, Lackey, I'll take it. My opponent goes off on turn 2. It happens.

Shardless, 2-1.
    Game one my opponent gets hasty and swings with the Gofys. I swing back for 17 through an Abrupt Decay. It looks like I'm ahead game two. I respond to a suspended Ancestral with a Chalice for zero. I have decent board presence. But this time, I am the hasty one. I walk right into Toxic Deluge. Game over. Game three Pendelhaven saves my butt, keeping an early Instigator alive.

Pyromancer's Ascension + Grixis Control brew, 2-1.
    Things are over pretty quickly in the first game. So I don't know quite what I'm up against. I see lots of cantrips. I bring in storm hate. My opponent invites Pyromancers and Tasigur to the party. I'm not prepared for that. Eventually Pyromancer's Ascension comes online. My opponent bolts away any offense I can muster. Game three I am better positioned, removal returns to the deck. My opponent almost turns the corner. But I have Piledrivers for days and YP and Tasigur accept chump duty. These games were quite intense. Between Lightning Bolt, Forked Bolt, and Snapcaster Mage it is difficult to keep anything on the table.

Omnitell, 2-0*.
    An asterisk on this one as we're able to split a modest prize and do so. Game one my opponent sees the Stingscourger in hand that shuts down Show and Emrakul. My opponent digs (not actually Dig) for an Omniscience. I present lethal on turn 4. Without cash money on the line, my opponent keeps a speculative hand game two. I have three pieces of artifact disruption. They all get spell pierced. Strange. Somewhere in there I jam a Lackey and start delivering the business. I reveal a Matron off Ringleader. Again, invalidating the Emrakul line. Perhaps Omniscience is boarded out? Not really. We discuss this after as my opponent is unsure how to approach the sideboarded games. I think it is a race, there's little reason to worry about my disruption. I would not keep Spell Pierce in. Etc.

Some lucky moments in there. The night could have easily gone 0-2. Last time I faced that Shardless player, I got wrecked. A lot of wins are coming from opponents not knowing how to approach the Goblins match. Removal on the wrong threat at the wrong time. Poorly timed alpha strikes. Things like that. I'm sure I'm making mistakes, too. Not trying to say my opponents are bad. But I have a lot more reps with Goblins versus deck X than they have with deck Y against Goblins.

Humphrey, do you have a suggested Mox Diamond list? I'd love to try it.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

@Morkus
    Quite liked your list. And thanks for the reports. Have you missed more big beaters? Your list has only 1 Piledriver and 1 Chieftain, I'm wondering if you ran into trouble closing out games fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raznaak View Post
    Restoration Angel
    Oh,the memories.
    Restoration Angel is awesome. One of my favourite brews.
    My tip would be to run 2 to start,and build a more controlling version of the deck, with Warchief and mwm. And ports.
    After people know you have Angel in your deck,and you pass the turn with 4 mana up,the game completely changes. You can respond to removal or blocks, and if they tap out you can just combo them next turn with the right hand.
    Also, having a flier big beater helps in several matchups.
    Imo Crafter is not needed if you want to run more 4 drops like angel.
    Might build this again one day.
    When I have time will search for my tournament reports with this.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Went 1-3 yesterday! But it wasn't that bad since I managed a Win in each lost match.

R1 Reanimator - Vial + Stingscourger won G1+2
    R2 OmniTell - G1 got T2'd. G2 I dropped a 3Ball to his Omni and won. G3 I had no pressure and a Thorn. Not enough. L.
    R3 BUG - G1 Sub Scout snuck a Lackey past a bunch of blockers to get a Siege-Gang on the field, but maindeck Toxic Deluge did it's thing and I got eaten by Goyfs. Woof. G2 I again Scouted Lackey past a DRS to put Krenko in play T2. I also had Magus T3 but he had the Abrupt Decay for it. He scooped after Krenko started to activate. G3 I had a mull to 6 and kept a slow hand with Wastes and had to hope that that would be enough. He had the T1 DRS so it wasn't. L
    R4 Miracles G1 I drew all the lands and ultimately got Jaced. L. G2 My first Ringleader revealed 3 Goblins and I won pretty quickly. G3 we were running low on time. I got Krenko online + Warchief. My opponent got double Monastery Mentor and double Top online and killed me in extra turns.

My take aways -

Subterranean Scout was good.
    Toxic Deluge is a beast.
    Monastery Mentor is a beast.
    OmniTell is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Went 1-3 yesterday! But it wasn't that bad since I managed a Win in each lost match.

R1 Reanimator - Vial + Stingscourger won G1+2
    R2 OmniTell - G1 got T2'd. G2 I dropped a 3Ball to his Omni and won. G3 I had no pressure and a Thorn. Not enough. L.
    R3 BUG - G1 Sub Scout snuck a Lackey past a bunch of blockers to get a Siege-Gang on the field, but maindeck Toxic Deluge did it's thing and I got eaten by Goyfs. Woof. G2 I again Scouted Lackey past a DRS to put Krenko in play T2. I also had Magus T3 but he had the Abrupt Decay for it. He scooped after Krenko started to activate. G3 I had a mull to 6 and kept a slow hand with Wastes and had to hope that that would be enough. He had the T1 DRS so it wasn't. L
    R4 Miracles G1 I drew all the lands and ultimately got Jaced. L. G2 My first Ringleader revealed 3 Goblins and I won pretty quickly. G3 we were running low on time. I got Krenko online + Warchief. My opponent got double Monastery Mentor and double Top online and killed me in extra turns.

My take aways -

Subterranean Scout was good.
    Toxic Deluge is a beast.
    Monastery Mentor is a beast.
    OmniTell is hard.

It's bad when the control decks 3 drop creature is still better then your krenko plus haste lord setup.

Jan 2014
    Québec

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    @Morkus
    Oh,the memories.
    Restoration Angel is awesome. One of my favourite brews.
    My tip would be to run 2 to start,and build a more controlling version of the deck, with Warchief and mwm. And ports.
    After people know you have Angel in your deck,and you pass the turn with 4 mana up,the game completely changes. You can respond to removal or blocks, and if they tap out you can just combo them next turn with the right hand.
    Also, having a flier big beater helps in several matchups.
    Imo Crafter is not needed if you want to run more 4 drops like angel.
    Might build this again one day.
    When I have time will search for my tournament reports with this.
    Yeah, sadly, I went 1-3 this tournament...

-I played versus Show n tell, whom I comboed off with the Crafter, turn 3 (thank you, Show and Tell, for giving me my Kiki-Jikki ) the first game, but I had to mull to 4 the next two games, no-landers... So, I lost...
    -I played against Dark Maverick, whom I just overwhelmed the first game, then fumbled the next two games, since I had to mull to 5 and 4, no landers again... (fuck my luck).
    +I then played against Manaless Dredge. Angel'd him turn 3 thanks to Lackey-> Kiki and then Prospector into Angel... Nice feeling. He comboed off game two, and game 3, I "wasted" a vial turn one, as he revealed the white chancellor, so I could cast Rest in Peace turn two (he then scooped). Won.
    -Lands. Nothing more to say other than I lost, even thought I put some resistance nobody expected, but fuck Lands, honestly.

Soo, welp.

My take:
    -Fuck Rabblemaster. That idiot never was pertinent, and when he could have been, a Piledriver would have been better, so I go back to Piledriver.
    -Legion Loyalist is really nice, especially against dredge (to pass trough the zombie tokens), Germ Token (and the first strike+trample is nice for Piledriver) and maybe against Miracle, since Miracle players in my meta play the Monastery Mentor a lot. (as well as the angels).
    -Angel is nice, but I'll stick with the Crafter (I want a combo, since it may help in grindy games), because it's all-goblin (so easier to assemble), also because the Crafter is quite useful outside of the combo, and finally because I can't afford Ports (I surprisingly and luckily acquired my last Wasteland today, and a mint one, from another player whom decided to stop Legacy, against some cards I don't really care).
    -I'll remove the MWM to try the Subterranean Scout, it may be quite interesting.
    -I'll stick to RW for the next tournament, and I'll try the Winstigator list the one after that, since I acquired the Moxen I needed to play it.
    -I really hope they print good goblins in the next set... I mean, it's Zendikar, and they reprinted Piledriver, they can't not print at least one or two good goblins in the next block, right

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by Raznaak View Post
    ...right
    Hope so, but we have to be ready for 0 good goblins or goblin's cards, this is more possible.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    It's bad when the control decks 3 drop creature is still better then your krenko plus haste lord setup.
    Well he did have 2 Mentors and 2 Tops. That's going to be good enough against most every creature based deck. But still, mentor is a house. And we also don't pack any good removal for it. Pyrokinesis is probably the best bet. Even then we're two-for-one-ing ourselves and they're still getting value out of Mentor in response. Woof. Great card.

Scout was really good too. I feel like I gotta put that out there. Against the BUG match he was great at sneaking Lackey through. I still lost to Toxic Deluge though, and I took the wrong line G3 on a Hail Mary. He led with DRS and I led with T1 Waste, but he had a second land T2 and was quickly back in business. I probably just should have played a land and passed.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Well he did have 2 Mentors and 2 Tops. That's going to be good enough against most every creature based deck. But still, mentor is a house. And we also don't pack any good removal for it. Pyrokinesis is probably the best bet. Even then we're two-for-one-ing ourselves and they're still getting value out of Mentor in response. Woof. Great card.
    It's definitely absurd, and now against all miracles lists you just can't afford to board out tarfire like you normally would have a year ago.

A local in my area brings in Containment Priests, Izzet Staticaster and Mentors as well as extra V.Cliques and Vensers. It sounds like shit, but it works incredibly against Goblins. He's the only Miracle player I don't just straight up trounce just because of how bonkers that sideboard is against Taxes and Goblins. Of course, we had to lose our only remaining good matchup. Why not rofl.

In other news, I'm into the semi-finals of the Melbourne Legacy League with Goblins, beating Bug Delver 2-1 in the quarters.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Good luck! Looking forward to a report and decklist!
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Good luck! Looking forward to a report and decklist!
    I played Mono White Death and Taxes for rounds 1 + 2 (Reanimator and Bug Delver) winning both matches
    I played R/W Taxes for rounds 3-6, losing to Rug Delver and Miracles (the guy who boards in 30 creatures as mentioned in a previous post), and beating grixis delver and infect.

That put me in 4th seed for top 8, and I clearly had to play Goblins in the top 8 because even if I lost, I would still have won.

List is in my signature. Notice how I have a Krenko and a Chieftain in my list because I sometimes actually try things people suggest... sometimes

I expected a lot more Grixis/Burg Delver in the top 8, hence the choke and the cutting of the magus. I am playing against the above mentioned Miracles player in the semi-finals, so hopefully the chokes completely wreck him post-board. Time will tell.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Who is Pablo Gil?

I was looking at TCDecks recently to see what kind of Goblin decks have been doing well. I was very surprised to see that there has been a Top 8 in each of the last 4 months from a player named Pablo Gil.

http://www.tcdecks.net/busqueda.php?nombre=Pablo%20Gil

Pablo has been playing the follow list and finding repeated performance in Top 8-ing 30 man tourneys and one 100 man tourney the past four months. What more surprising than his consistent ability to top 8 is the fact that he hasn't really changed his deck.

Creatures [35]
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Legion Loyalist
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    2 Boartusk Liege
    2 Stingscourger
    3 Goblin Piledriver
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    4 Goblin Warchief

Artifacts [4]
    4 Aether Vial

Lands [21]
    2 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    11 Mountain

Sideboard
    2 Blood Moon
    3 Pyrokinesis
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Shattering Spree
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

The only changes he's made to the deck over the last 4 top-8 appearances is +1 Krenko MD -1 Lightning Crafter, +1 Tuktuk Scrapper Sideboard, -1 Stingscourger. That is it! All other 73 cards remained the same.

I'm impressed by the 21 land manabase, the 4 Gempalm, the abundance of Stingscourger and Boartusk Liege, and the Kiki and Loyalist main (both of which are cards I had written off). I'm definitely feeling inspired by this list and will probably rip it off for my next event, just swap out a few cards that aren't really necessary in my meta (wayyyyy too much artifact hate for my needs).

I'm not going to argue with results. I consider myself a pretty good Goblins player but I haven't been able to top-8 consistently at all recently, so I'm willing to believe that I may be doing something wrong and should look to those that are making it work.

This is a Kiki-Toolbox build, and I have tended to run more toolbox-y builds than straight aggro. And though I've never been a Kiki advocate it makes sense in this build. I could never get behind the Winstigator builds because running Winstigator cut out the slots needed for toolbox Goblins it seemed. They are more redundant. This list has less redundancy and a higher body count.

What do you guys think? Is this list the real deal, or just the build of a dude that has his local meta pinned down?

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

What do you guys think? Is this list the real deal, or just the build of a dude that has his local meta pinned down?
    The things I'm con conformable with there is the low land count and the absence if tarfire. I guess that should net you losses against tempo decks.
    Either way, would be nice if you tried it and shared results. I'm curious here.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

I have played with Kiki-Jiki + Boartusk Liege before, and it's insane if you can get away with it.
    Opponent's end of turn step: Copy Liege. Your turn: Copy Liege again, swing for 21.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    I have played with Kiki-Jiki + Boartusk Liege before, and it's insane if you can get away with it.
    Opponent's end of turn step: Copy Liege. Your turn: Copy Liege again, swing for 21.
    That list... Awesome! No Wastelands or Piledrivers never bothered you? And why Fanatic? Other than that: awesome
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    That list... Awesome! No Wastelands or Piledrivers never bothered you? And why Fanatic? Other than that: awesome
    And no Vials... The list was experimental, I do not recommend it. The idea was that Piledrivers get killed by chump blockers anyway, so I tried to include as many goblins as possible and make them all huge by including as many +1/+1 effects as possible. Also, the interaction between Kiki-Jiki + Boartusk Liege is deceptively powerful, and it might explain some of the success of Pablos list above.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

As predicted, Mentor is incredible against Goblins. I don't even think our Miracles matchup is good anymore honestly and here's why:

1: We can't just spam the board like we do against every other deck, because Terminus is a card. There's nothing new there, but our speed in killing Miracles decks has now decreased as we have to fight our way through more creatures on top of the Terminus'. This is better for the deck with Jace, SDT, DTT and Mentor. I don't even mean Mentor Miracles either, I mean normal Legend/Joe Lossett Miracles. Game 1 we are probably favoured, but games 2 and 3 become much tougher and I would say are 50-50.

2: Dig Through Time draws them 2 excellent cards. Ringleader on average nets you 2-3 cards of varying quality. So their card selection is much greater than ours through Ponder/Brainstorm/SDT, and now their card advantage is essentially also on parity.

3: Entreat the Angels has always been super-clunky for Miracles to kill us with and it was really only a problem when they naturally miracled it. Mentor on the other hand can create a ridiculous board presence instantly at no cost to the miracles player. Why the mentor Tokens have prowess is beyond me, but in case you haven't heard 2/2 creatures are usually pretty good against 1/1 Goblins.

So onto my semi-finals match.

Game 1: Mulled to 5, got stuck on 2 lands with my T1 Vial being spell pierced (he was on the play). Not long after, he cast entreat for about 3 angels and that was it.

Sideboard
    Out: 2 War Marshal, 1 Prospector, 1 Lackey, 1 Piledriver,
    In: 3 Choke, 1 Tin Street and 1 Stingscourger. I knew he was bringing in lots of creatures with 2 toughness, and those cards just felt pretty poopy.

I have a turn 1 Lackey through a Cavern and a turn 2 vial. I connect on turn 2 and play a ringleader drawing 3 cards, revealing my super secret sb tech of choke :(
    Long story short, I beat down, I mana-denial, I keep the Miracles player off balance and he dies.
    Krenko was in my opening hand and was worthless for the entire match. If it was Siege Gang Commander the game would have ended about 2 turns earlier. Why some of you insist he is good is beyond me... anyway.

Game 3:
    Sideboard:
    Take out 2 Choke
    Bring in 2 Pyrokinesis.
    Now that he knows about Choke, he goes to his sideboard to bring in (I presume) wear/tear so it's pretty worthless.

I again to mull to 5...ugh
    This game took ages, but the long and the short of it is that I beat him down through his creatures and terminuses and got him to 4. I was feeling pretty good until he played a Mentor. I try to pyrokinesis it immediately, but he has the force of will and that makes a token. He plays Jace and makes a 2nd token. My board at the time was a Ringleader and a Warchief, and I have 2 Piledrivers and a Vial in hand, the piledrivers which he knows about from an earlier V.Clique which took a Siege Gang out of my hand.

I untap, play the 2 drivers and declare attackers. He looks at the top 3 in response (leaving him with 1 white mana open). After he puts the cards back and finishes resolving it, he asks me if he can look at the top 3 again (without paying for top). I refuse to let him look at the top 3 again without paying for it (which would essentially lock up the game and match for me). He sits there for what feels like 30 years draws with the top and lets me attack. He declares blocks: a token on each of the piledrivers, and mentor in front of warchief.
    Sick, that'll wipe his board, put him to 2, and then he's drawing to really slim outs. If only...

The card he drew with top was swords to plowshares. This exiles my ringleader and with it my dreams of playing in the finals. This kills off my entire team and leaves him with an active Jace, a Mentor and a token.

At this point I knew I'd lost, with Mentor killing me ridiculously quickly whilst Jace ticks up. Fuck.

As for Krenko and Chieftain, they proved themselves to be worthless and will be evicted from my deck as soon as I get the chance.
    Chieftain always dies to removal in the middle of combat, thus blowing you out more than it blows out your opponent, and Krenko because it's a shit card as I knew all along and have said for months. I beat BUG Delver handily through multiple Goyfs and Deathrites without either card, so I'm not sure why you guys think they're necessary for those matchups.

If anyone has any ideas on what to do with Goblins, let me know because right now I have no idea what to do with the deck.

Did u run scout? Scout can get piledruver through token walls. 1 of legion loyalist tutor option works too...I guess. Killing mentor won't work outside of gem palm plus your still left with their tokens.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    If anyone has any ideas on what to do with Goblins, let me know because right now I have no idea what to do with the deck.
    I know I tend to repeat myself, so I'll make this short:

Chrome Mox
    Goblin Chieftain
    Warren Instigator
    Subterrean Scout
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

bruizar

If you want something against Terminus, Lantern of Insight can be boarded in to shuffle their library before the miracle trigger sends your guys to the bottom.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    If you want something against Terminus, Lantern of Insight can be boarded in to shuffle their library before the miracle trigger sends your guys to the bottom.
    Why would Goblins care about Miracles?

I'd guess most goblins players would love to play vs. miracles all day...

Thread Information