Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Article]Slinging MUD: 2nd place at SCG Indy

[Article]Slinging MUD: 2nd place at SCG Indy

Here is my second place report from Indy with a description of the deck and my card choices:

http://www.quietspeculation.com/2011...e-at-scg-indy/

This game is not a democracy.

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

Re: [Article]Slinging MUD: 2nd place at SCG Indy

Congrats on your finish Michael! I was glad to see when I got home that you took 2nd.
    "Michael opens with Lotus Petal, Academy Ruins, Phyrexian Dreadnaught, and Stifle. I Force of Will the Stifle, but he has Force of Will backup. I Ponder on turn one and again on turn two, but fail to find a Swords to Plowshares before he has smashed me twice. " That's losing to Mike Sanchirico.

Team Bad Guys.

Island, go!
    Jun 2009
    Golden Gate Bridge, USA

Congrats on the finish!

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Nice read. Would the list work without Voltaic Keys? I know Key has good synergy with big beats and Monolith. It seems that you are bringing in Revoker quite often. Do you think cutting Keys for Revoker would work? Or do you prefer the explosiveness that Key gives you?

I'll be willing to sling this deck up for testing :) You didn't mention anything about the deck's good/bad matchups in your article, do you mind breaking down which matchups are favorable/unfavorable?

Sick finish. Sick Deck. ' Nuff said.
    Team Sexy - Better Than Ever, Still Better Than You

I would not recommend cutting voltaic key. It is one of the big reasons the deck is so fast, grim monolith becomes quite a bit worse without key.

I was sitting on Ancient Tomb, Great Furnace Voltaic Key, while he had Goyf in play. Though he had Thoughtsiezed away a Lodestone Golem earlier, I had a City of Traitors and a Sundering Titan in hand.

I was in a grim spot but luckily, my deck topdecked like a champion and I rip Grim Monolith. I play City, Monolith, tap it untap it with Key, make 8 mana and resolve Sundering Titan at three life. From there, I draw into Wurmcoil Engine and Revoker. I made a bit of a misplay, naming Jitte with Revoker instead of Pridemage, but it didn’t end up mattering because I was able to attack for the win.
    I was watching the coverage of this.

When he Thoughtseized you he saw Lodestone Golem, Wurmcoil, and Sundering Titan. He chose to take the Golem and leave you with the Titan and the Wurmcoil. Then you played the Titan, wrecked his mana, and followed up with the Wurmcoil the turn after.

Anyway, good job on the tournament.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

I was the guy sitting on your left when that kid asked about Metal Worker. It was good for a laugh. Still think Forgemaster is a stroke of genius. I was surprised that you felt Brian's Junk and Taxes was a bad MU; when we were looking over your list and discussing strategies we felt the otherway around. J&T is slow out the gates, seeking incremental advantage and the MVP of the deck, Mom, is dead against you. The thought was that he'd have to shut down Metalworker and Grim Monolith immediately to have a chance, saving Plows for Welder and Worker to try and keep you off robots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

I'm pretty sure that if you had called a judge on your opponent fo saying "EE for 0," but then still paying 1 mana, the judge would have ruled that he announced the spell was for 0 so he'd be able to untap the land and resume play. Any time an X spell is cast and mana is tapped, it is assumed that all of the mana is going into the X spell unless it was otherwise stated, which in this case, it was.
    Anyways, I really enjoyed reading your report since I couldn't find any written coverage of your deck on SCG other than the finals which wasn't very enjoyable seeing as you lost in unspectacular fashion. Your deck seems really cool and I'm glad you did well with it. After getting the list some big tourney experience, is there anything you think you would change for future tourneys?

Jank Slayer
    Dec 2009
    Dallas, TX

Grats on your finish sir, and a very nice report there. I've been working with a MUDish deck ever since Metalworker was unbanned, so needless to say, this got me very excited.

Love your build, very hot.
    David Sutherland * the Dallas Crab

Quote Originally Posted by ChiiMagic View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you had called a judge on your opponent fo saying "EE for 0," but then still paying 1 mana, the judge would have ruled that he announced the spell was for 0 so he'd be able to untap the land and resume play. Any time an X spell is cast and mana is tapped, it is assumed that all of the mana is going into the X spell unless it was otherwise stated, which in this case, it was.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. What you said was what the tournament report seems to have said - and it was fine - so I don't get what the comment is for.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. What you said was what the tournament report seems to have said - and it was fine - so I don't get what the comment is for.
    Oh, I'm sorry I misread the report. I stroked off for a moment and thought the Landstill player wanted to cast the EE for 0 and the poster was going to make him live with paying 1 mana for it thusly making the sunburst 1 when he wanted it to be 0.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Congrats. Cool to finally see someone come up with a good brown deck in Legacy. The Forgemaster tech is absurd.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

This deck has major, major style points. I'm tempted to convert my dragon stompy into this deck, but I'm missing so many cards! Sigh, will wait for my bonus -_-. Hopefully this deck is this rocking in the next few months and not a one hit wonder. All the best and congrats on the amazing finish with the deck! Top props for the balls to play something totally rogue!

Natural Born Nitpicker
    Oct 2010
    Poland

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Hopefully this deck is this rocking in the next few months and not a one hit wonder.
    If this decks starts rocking the tournaments, people will simply start sideboarding Katakis, Hurkyls, Energy Fluxes and most importantly Null Rods. It's like Dredge: potentially very explosive and unfair, but just folds to dedicated hate.
    - What are letters?
    - Kinda like mediaglyphics except they're all black, and they're tiny, they don't move, they're old and boring and really hard to read. But you can use'em to make short words for long words.

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

If you have questions about the deck, feel free to post here and Mike and I will compile some answers in next week's article!

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

I'm still kind of confused over the landstill's players intentions and what actually happened. What was he trying to kill and what went wrong? I assumed he wanted to kill the welders but it doesn't make sense to say x for 0.

May 2006
    Caput Mundi

Quote Originally Posted by say no to scurvy View Post
    I'm still kind of confused over the landstill's players intentions and what actually happened. What was he trying to kill and what went wrong? I assumed he wanted to kill the welders but it doesn't make sense to say x for 0.
    The sunburst on EE takes in account mana spent for cost increases, so under a sphere effect, like Sphere of Resistance, declaring x=0 and paying 1 colored for the Sphere results in an EE with 1 counter. Unfortunately for him Lodestone increases only non-artifact spells cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    This article isn't free! ITS TAXING MY BRAIN CELLS!
    “My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins.” —Memoirs

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by 3eowulf View Post
    The sunburst on EE takes in account mana spent for cost increases, so under a sphere effect, like Sphere of Resistance, declaring x=0 and paying 1 colored for the Sphere results in an EE with 1 counter. Unfortunately for him Lodestone increases only non-artifact spells cost.
    Yes but if he taps one and announces 0, then he has 1 mana in his pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    Yes but if he taps one and announces 0, then he has 1 mana in his pool.
    In this situation, yes, as Lodestone Golem only makes non-artifacts cost an additional one. If Lodestone did affect all spells similar to Sphere of Resistance, announcing X=0 and then paying 1 colored mana for the 'tax' effect off the Golem would net an EE with 1 charge counter... I'm guessing this was his intention so he could leave up as much mana as possible, but he confused Golem's effect.

So net result- he misplayed his way into EE with zero counters and 1 mana in his pool.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Thread Information