Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Eldrazi

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Re: Turbo Eldazri

Quote Originally Posted by Obob View Post
    I was playing Merfolk in the MTGO tournament you linked to, and I played against both of the TurboDrazi decks. Both matches were good; I went 2-1 against Zahori and 1-2 against PTPaul. The All is Dusts really hurt merfolk badly. Every game I won was due to keeping locuses in check with wastelands. Crop rotation is good defense against wasteland though, especially if your opponent doesn't know it's coming.

One advantage of this deck online is that Candelabra's are about $1 a piece.

I'm curious to see if this will remain a competitive deck, or if it can be beaten easily once its no longer so rogue.
    Ah, Yeah I ran into you before. In a DE or the PE, I was playing Sneak Attack. I faced Pt Paul with that list in the PE, I won, but man was it fun to see that deck. You are right, I went and got 4 Candels after that(now for those Titans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by moseby View Post
    Rock,

Just currious, how do you deal with a resolved crucible + wasteland? besides pithing needle?
    I found that I always had my needle nuked. Weather it be by disk, rachet bomb, or EE
    If you got to the point where they resolved disc/ratchet and then activated them, you long since lost. Its against stacks variants that I run 4 flux for. Loam variants that I run needle for. Your entire sideboard should be anti-wasteland and anti-combo. I'm beginning to wonder if I even need the propagandas.

Feb 2011
    Cape Fear

I just wanted to link to my video playing the deck in that Daily Event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWyKbmMCf0o

I recorded all 4 rounds.

The deck is a blast to play and VERY powerful.

Here are a few ideas I've thought of:

Is stifle worth considering instead of FoW? It can be a solution against some combo decks AND it counters Wasteland.

Could Moment' Peace be better than Propaganda?

I want to play some more with this deck and try different things, so hit me up on MTGO if interested in a few games?

Re: [Deck] Turbo Eldrazi

I like the videos. We had a good match. It's interesting seeing it from the other side of the table.

Kinda like attacking with 4 Vengevines on turn 4 isn't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

This deck (or a slight variation of it) just won another daily on MTGO. Two people played it, and of the 8 combined matches they played, the only lost match was the mirror.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Hmm I think Trinket Mage fits the slot of TfK better:

1) same mana cost, both pitch to FoW.
    2) 2/2 body to chump a turn which the deck needs to get another turn into bombs
    3) Fetches Expedition Map into more posts/glimmerlifegain/Eye-of-ugin to go off
    4) Fetches Top/Candelabra, sick!
    5) Always ensures you get what you need.

1) TfK draw 3 instead of tutor 1.
    2) Instant speed.

At this point, I'm leaning for TM, because most of the the time, TfK is really just digging into business spell/ramp (which Trinket Mage will almost always tutor with certainty while providing another extra turn on a 2/2 body). If wastelock is a problem, 3 Needles in the SB along with the TM maindeck could be a house in fighting those decks.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    Hmm I think Trinket Mage fits the slot of TfK better:

1) same mana cost, both pitch to FoW.
    2) 2/2 body to chump a turn which the deck needs to get another turn into bombs
    3) Fetches Expedition Map into more posts/glimmerlifegain/Eye-of-ugin to go off
    4) Fetches Top/Candelabra, sick!
    5) Always ensures you get what you need.

1) TfK draw 3 instead of tutor 1.
    2) Instant speed.

At this point, I'm leaning for TM, because most of the the time, TfK is really just digging into business spell/ramp (which Trinket Mage will almost always tutor with certainty while providing another extra turn on a 2/2 body). If wastelock is a problem, 3 Needles in the SB along with the TM maindeck could be a house in fighting those decks.
    Your idea is sound, however I consider your innovative approach fundamentally flawed, which is common among most optimizers.

There is a great danger in looking at cards with similar casting costs and even functions and then assuming they share roles. Evenmoreso, I would caution against assuming that the current distribution of the deck as a whole is optimized, and that swapping cards one-for-one is the best way to improve it. This is an easy fix so people unknown to solid deck improvement often suggest it. I myself was in this category for a long time, thinking I could tweak a list by 1 or 2 cards and make it even better. However, these fixes are often a band-aid when you need a tourniquet. Once you are approaching a deck that is even close to being maximized, every single card you change will systematically alter the entire deck. In order to invigorate a deck above and beyond a prototype stage you need to see it much more organically, as every clip and twist will affect 71+ other cards in exponential ways.

That being said, I've been doing a few days of Trinket Mage work myself, and agree it is extremely strong. Where or even if it fits I'll leave with you guys for awhile. But I cannot stress enough, to consider the entire deck every time you consider changes.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

No I am fully aware of this, trust me. Sorry if I did not put that point across. For a similar reason, when people tell me to drop Overseers/Master of Etherium in my list or telling Meandeck MUD to play Chalice maindeck and drop Keys, sure we can all do so, but it ends up changing the entire deck because there are many interactions/synergies in built in them.

In your current list (not that I played it much, but the philosophy can be seen in how you played/designed your deck and your reports). It's a deck that is focused on constantly making land drops/playing accelerants/untappers, and digging for both answers to opposing deck and digging for accelerants. This was the main strength of Tfk and ponder as mentioned in your reports, and to cut TfK is more than just sacrificing the digging power, it's sacrificing how the deck was fundamentally built around a digging-dig-dig approach. Trinket Mage has its merits, and I think you're more aware of it than we are, but I think that the list could free up a little digging power, because much of the digging is really to find protection (against aggro) and a combo piece at the same time, where Trinket Mage fulfils that purpose. The style of the deck definitely changes with TM, which is why I am fully aware of the situation of 'looking-at-individual-cards-and-telling-you-to-replace-them". sorry if I didn't bring that piont across :)
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    not that I played it much
    I understand your intent, but this is all I read.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

There's only that much time in life to play that much MTG and decks right? :P I'll post next time when I've done enough testing then. Thanks!
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

So has Nature's Claim been tested in the board? It seems nasty against the likes of Back to Basics or Moon effects (when your tropical is untapped). Also, I feel like this deck should be moved into established. It's already placed extremely high in two tournaments and has found a place for itself on MTGO now too.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post
    So has Nature's Claim been tested in the board? It seems nasty against the likes of Back to Basics or Moon effects (when your tropical is untapped). Also, I feel like this deck should be moved into established. It's already placed extremely high in two tournaments and has found a place for itself on MTGO now too.
    Chalice at 1 already bones you, and needing to keep open your Trops for NC seems horrific especially when you can still just walk into a magus. This is the same reason I don't run Krosan Grip or Wipe Away on the side, or Oxidize against decks I put in flux against.

The prototype did not play Forest, and adding one doesn't really solve land disruption. It will weaken the manabase because in crunch time you'll need blue mana active more than green.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

my take on the whole thing is why trinket mage and why not instead add in Show and Tell. also instead of ponder i would suggest a 4 drop called Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

show and tell with either the eldrazi in hand or titan is better than what trinket mage does for us.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Well I tested the deck and wasnt impressed at all. In the first turns you play lands thats comes tapped and if your arent able to draw a thread you just die. Often I had clunky hands or lots of mana and nothing to play. After discussions with a friend I made some changes. Its not perfect yet, but I think its running better than the original version.

1 Eye of Ugin
    1 Island
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Vesuva
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Primeval Titan
    4 Candelabra of Tawnos
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Force of Will
    1 All Is Dust
    4 Exploration
    4 Time Spiral
    3 Living Wish
    3 Expedition Map
    2 Breeding Pool
    3 Brainstorm
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Stroke of Genius
    SB: 3 Energy Flux
    SB: 4 Propaganda
    SB: 3 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 1 Cloudpost
    SB: 1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    SB: 2 Maze of Ith
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Legendary sword
    Jun 2010
    Brazil

Is Energy Flux enough against Staxes decks? How about Sacred Ground (armageddons/ wastes/ staxes/ snkiholes/ vindicates)?

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Is Energy Flux enough against Staxes decks? How about Sacred Ground (armageddons/ wastes/ staxes/ snkiholes/ vindicates)?
    Sacred Ground is the best card possible against any sort of destruction. Unfortunately I don't run white, and have no plans to. There was a build prior to Glimmerpost that ran Knight of the Reliquary, Sacred Ground (sb), Chant (sb), swords (sb) as its white cards, but it is sub optimal to the current build. Trinket Mage's inclusion means EE is accessable to remove Chalice @ 1, which was the real troublemaker against stacks. However, as with all waste-recursion based decks, it is not a favorable matchup to start. Honestly I usually dont' even bring in the Fluxes against stacks unless they are extremely heavily brown.

Legendary sword
    Jun 2010
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    Sacred Ground is the best card possible against any sort of destruction. Unfortunately I don't run white, and have no plans to. There was a build prior to Glimmerpost that ran Knight of the Reliquary, Sacred Ground (sb), Chant (sb), swords (sb) as its white cards, but it is sub optimal to the current build. Trinket Mage's inclusion means EE is accessable to remove Chalice @ 1, which was the real troublemaker against stacks. However, as with all waste-recursion based decks, it is not a favorable matchup to start. Honestly I usually dont' even bring in the Fluxes against stacks unless they are extremely heavily brown.
    Still you will be eaten alive by Armageddon and Smokestack...If you go waiting for Trinket Mage, you can already sleep in your coffin :\

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

I know I'm going to get run out of this thread on a rail but...

Run Life from the Loam.

Thread Information