Thread: Naya Hatebears idea

Naya Hatebears idea

Greetings. I have an idea in my head that I would like to share with you all. The basic concept is to have a Hatebears variant that be relatively diverse, and still have a decent matchup against the big boys. It has different strategies, based on what deck you play against.

Here is the list I propose:

3 Ancient Tomb
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 Forest
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    2 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    2 Wooded Foothills

4 Aether Vial
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    3 Elvish Spirit Guide
    3 Magus of the Moon
    3 Mayor of Avabruck
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Vexing Shusher

Sideboard:
    3 Containment Priest
    3 Karakas
    3 Kataki, War's Wage
    3 Rest in Peace
    3 Sulfur Elemental

The gameplan is simple. You want to try to lock down your opponent within the first 2 turns. Early Chalice followed by an uncounterable creature threat is the best play, if available. Obviously going in blind will be an issue for game 1, so always assume your first play baits out a counter.

Specifically against certain matchups:

For Miracles, use Cavern of Souls and Vexing Shusher to force your threats through. Terminus is problematic, however, you should play conservatively, and try not to overextend. Sulfur Elemental helps against Mentor, where the Chalices can prevent your opponent from maintaining a Top lock.

For combo, such as storm or Charbelcher, you have Eidolons, which hurt and prevent extra draws. Also, Chalice and Revoker help, depending on the type of combo.

For creature based strategies, we have Mayor of Avabruck, which pumps our Humans while he's small, or pumps out an army of 3/3 wolves if they can't keep him in check.

Against mud, we have Thalia and Pridemage, with Kataki in the board. Magus if the Moon can keep them off their game long enough for the bears to rip chunks of life.

Against Sneak/Show, we have Karakas and Containment Priest.

Jund will be mostly a fair matchup, but any deck with Abrupt Decay will hurt.

Merfolk will be strange. True-Name sucks, but we could possibly race, since we can force threats through counters.

Tarmogoyf gets big quickly, so we will have to race him and his flying Insectile friend. Eidolons and Rest in Peace might be the key here, depending on the matchup.

I welcome any and all suggestions. Thoughts are appreciated. Thank you for your time, and have a nice day.

Edit: Alternatively, this is the R/G list I am working with right now, as I continue to slowly pick up some of the missing cards I need to complete the above deck. I am trying a slightly different approach for the R/G version, since it has obvious holes, and is in testing for v 1.0. The Skylashers, for example, are specifically because my meta is blue heavy, so I am going to try them out at my local weekly tournament.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 Forest
    1 Mountain
    4 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Mayor of Avabruck
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Reclamation Sage
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Skylasher
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Vexing Shusher

Sideboard:
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Choke
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Lightning Bolt
    3 Sudden Shock

Before I added the Aether Vials, I had Krosan Grip instead of Rec Sages, Sulfur Elementals and Revokers in the board and burn in the main. Also, Chaos Warp and Koth of the Hammer in the main. It worked decently against some matchups, but poorly against others, as I suspect this list will do the same. There is no such thing as a perfect deck, I understand this, however, I would like to brew a list that seems decent enough for me to try out at Eternal Weekend or Eternal Extravaganza this year.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Re: Naya Hatebears idea

I'm looking at your list and 27 mana sources plus 4 Vials seems rather high. I've seen your late game fail due to either flooding on lands or just drawing terrible creatures like Spirit Guides. I'm kinda thinking Chrome Mox might work in the place of Spirit Guides. Both of them are -1 card for a mana, but the Chrome Mox stays on board, which could let you cut a land or two for some more juice.

I think in general is that this deck has the same problem as MUD; i.e. inconsistent with no library manipulation. If your first 9/10 cards don't set you up to win, every draw is a coin flip. I'm trying to think of ways to help you close out the late game. Top is the first thing that comes to mind, but it's useless with Chalice. I really like the idea of Bloodbraid Elf in this deck but its terrible with Chalice and Vial. Outpost Siege is a really underrated card and it's goofy enough that you might try it out. Also didn't you bring up Avaricious Dragon at some point?

Equipment is good. If you're running white, you can't go wrong with a SFM package. A Batterskull or Sword on the board makes even the shittiest Spirit Guide a legitimate threat.

Here are some changes I might make:

-1 Taiga
    -3 ESG
    -2 SSG
    +3 Chrome Mox

-3 Initial mana sources, but +2 permanent sources. Leaves a little room to include a small equipment package.

-1 QPM
    -1 Revoker
    +2 SFM
    +1 Jitte
    +1 Batterskull

You bring up good points. I have the equipment, but I lost my SFM when that thing happened last summer. Not difficult to re-acquire, though.

As another idea, I thought about cutting green completely. Keep the Vexing Shushers, since they are RR to cast, but use Duergar Hedge-Mage instead of Pridemage / Rec Sage, and possibly add Scab-Clan Berserker and Fiend Hunter to the mix. Additionally, I have contemplated a 4 drop creature in deck, and I was thinking about Avaricious Dragon, but I am now thinking about Thunderbreak Regent instead. It doesn't have the immediate drawback of losing your hand, then getting StP'd away, whereras TbR will be at least a bolt, or 5 damage if there is an Eidolon or Scab-clan out.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I've toyed with a similar idea on coackatrice and played chrome mox over spirit guides. I also played 3 stone forge because our mana ramp allows us to possibly be connecting with a jitte on turn 2, or a sofai on turn 3. Also for the fair match ups I tried out hunt master. I'm not saying your list is wrong, just some of the ideas I was toying with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information