Hybrid View

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Planeswalker Stax

thanks yawg07!

KAAAAARRRRRN

lemme start up a primer for this deck:

I guess I'll do an explanation of each card if it requires some explaining, and then some of the matchups:

4 Chalice of the Void

This card is the bread and butter of the deck. Chalice for 1 stops so many cards. If you are on the bandwagon with mental misstep, then that should explain everything that this card can do.

4 Trinisphere
    These cards are second only to the chalices. You want them on turn 1 and 2, which makes sense. It has good synergy with smokestack, tabernacle, and wasteland. It is one of the ways of locking opponents out.

4 Crucible of Worlds
    I like to refer to this card as howling mine for me only. With fetches it's like drawing a land out of your deck each turn. Wasteland synergy is very powerful, and can lead to blowout games. Getting back your maze of iths, tabernacles, and academy ruins is also extremely useful.

3 Smokestack
    This card is King. It can allow you to really push control to do something with themselves. Sacrificing permanents is easy with crucible out, and the planeswalkers usually ensure you can play out your multiples of dead cards. Most decks if not handled with in 2 turns, end up losing to the sacrificing.

3 Ensnaring Bridge
    If decks can't kill the bridge, it's a pretty hard lock. If you draw multiples, it is also usually a lock. Decks like BUG and some of the show and tell decks have no out to it preboard. Dredge usually has 1 out being a terrastodon if 2 bridges are in play. Merfolk has no outs. Goblins maindeck has siege gang as an out, affinity has ravager, so they can still get there, natural order is difficult to beat and I feel like it's the only card that can reasonably stop progenitus. They also have lots of cards to kill bridges, but maybe drawing multiples can pay off.

1 The Abyss
    This card when played early, completely destroyed decks that rely on few creatures to win. I don't know how else to explain it. Just try it, and see for yourself.

1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    You will need some kind of mass removal cards, and the best options are this powder keg, and ratchet bomb. This can help stop aggro rush, as well as stop nuisance cards like oblivion rings and aether vials. I personally like the keg as it's good vs affinity, can kill man lands, and teeg can't prevent me from playing it.

//planeswalkers 8 cards

4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Oh Jace. This card is very self explanatory, however, the brutal nature of this card in this deck is really not seen until experienced. If a turn 1 trinisphere comes down, followed by a turn 2 jace, there is usually little that can be done by the opponent. He helps bounce creatures (vs non vials), and can help the lock by keeping lands on the bottom of their deck. He also has that useful win condition, as well as being able to bounce problematic cards like emrakul.

4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    This card is very exciting in this deck.
    His +1 is extremely useful. He can find all of your key cards, just refer back to each of the key artifact cards for their importance.
    His -1 gives you a win condition, and it serves as a purpose of making blockers. There is synergy with the artifact creatures and the abyss, but the 5/5's do not typically work very well with ensnaring bridge...however you can get your hand back to 5 cards pretty easily.
    His -4 is a win con, as well as just a good life gain. Not really necessary for explanation.

//mana sources (32 lands total)

4 Mox Diamond
    I call this a mox diamond deck. This card allows for extremely nutty draws, and is extremely synergistic with crucible of worlds, and gets rid of your dead lands in certain matchups.

1 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest

3 Fetches, very useful - nothing special here.

2 Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Creeping Tar Pit

Gotta get some colored mana sources besides the moxes. The 2 basics is in there to avoid getting crushed by wastelands, the undergrounds and tar pits are there to help cast the black cards and the tar pit acts as a 1 of that can get there and kill opposing jaces mostly. The Urborgs are really important as they can "turn on" your maze of iths, tabernacles, and provide your deck with a significant increase in mana some games.

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

These cards are also the reason the deck is playable. These cards allow for the turn 1 chalice, trinisphere, crucible, ensnaring bridge. The turn 2 jace, smokestack, tezzeret, abyss. Just so good.

1 Academy Ruins

This card is pretty stock and will just let you get back cards that you might need. It probably serves more of a purpose post board, as you bring in more artifacts that have more applications, however, getting back a crucible, or a smokestack can be pretty devastating.

4 Wasteland

Wastelands in stax lists are strictly not optional. I have seem some lists with 3, but I don't recommend it. The mana bases that people are running these days (excluding mostly just mono blue merfolk, but they still have mutavaults) are extremely greedy, and people need to be punished.

//keep me alive lands

4 Maze of Ith
    2 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Well if you look at the list, there aren't really many ways to interact with creatures. This suite of cards allows you to do just that. Many decks have few win conditions, and maze of ith will buy you enough turns until you can take control. Tabernacle is a blowout to many decks, and due to the many high synergies with wasteland and trinisphere, it can just end games. (To be noted, sometimes I will animate their artifacts into 5/5's if I have tabernacle out so they lose them. This is generally very rarely a good idea, but it can get there when an ensnaring bridge or multiple maze of iths are out)

Matchups:

Merfolk:
    I really am not comfortable with this matchup. Game 1 you want to land a trinisphere, or a chalice at 1 on the play. Vial is a problem for this deck. That being said they don't have any out to ensnaring bridge, so make sure slam this card down quickly and ride it to victory. Tabernacle and maze of ith are very strong here. Abyss is also great, and smokestack can help clear the board if you have time. Coral helm commander is the real nuisance card here for you.

Game 2: you get to bring in a few cards, preferably llawans, powder kegs, engineered explosives, and a 4th ensnaring bridge. don't be fooled and board in engineered plagues. they seem useful, but unless if you get a nut draw you are going to just make them all 2/2's instead of 3/3s and sometimes that lets them get under the bridge. They will probably bring in energy flux, so just be ready for that with your artifact removal suite, and karn liberated might be able to remove it. dunno if you board him out. need to test more

On the draw it can be tough, still needs more testing to decide on sb techniques.

BUG:
    They usually rely on few creatures, counterspells, and discard. Maelstrom pulse is sometimes there, and that can be a problem. Other than that this deck fuctions very well vs that one, and cards like ensnaring bridge and maze of ith make things extremely difficult for them. The abyss can just end games by itself. They function on few lands, so smokestack is another good win condition. Jace unsummon is also powerful vs tombstalker.

Burn:
    Steer clear of this matchup, nearly impossible to win. Any suggestions? I've thought of running chill in the sb, but other than that, I don't even know.

Zoo:
    Chalice for 1, tabernacle, ensnaring bridge, and your artifacts that can blow up all 1cc. Watch out for price of progress. I like to keep my wastelands open so I can blow up my own stuff in response.

Storm:
    Chalice and trinisphere preboard. Tabernacle can stop empty the warrens, but if you don't land a chalice or trinisphere you are probably going to lose. Wastelands can sabotage their slower draws. I like to chalice for 0 vs the red version of storm, as they are more dependant on lion's eye diamond, lotus petals, and moxes. The 1cc gives them some more outs, but they can still just go off without the 1cc. After sb you get null rod if you want and it makes the matchup even more favorable.

Charbelcher:
    See storm matchup.

High Tide:
    This matchup you want to get down a chalice for 1. After that you need a smokestack ASAP. They will try to get a hurkly's recall or a rebuild and then go off. This matchup isn't generally too favorable, but you do what you have to do. Hopefully you can resolve a trinisphere and lock them out quickly, as the wastelands have no effect vs them. Null rod is okay vs the candelabra.

Goblins:
    This matchup can be frustrating, as you will need 1 or 0 cards in your hand to make the bridges work. I think bridges are the key card here, as they have lots of 1's 2's and 3's so chalice keg/ee aren't particularly amazing. Tabernacle and maze of ith are strong here. Games 2 and 3 you have access to engineered plague and artifact removal stuff. They might bring in krosan grip, but you just have so many things they have to deal with.
    That being said if they nut draw you, you can still lose. Mono red versions with blood moon could also be problematic.

My recent list:

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Smokestack
    1 The Abyss
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Powder Keg

4 Maze of Ith
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wasteland
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Blue Fetches
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Island

SB:

3 Null Rod
    2 Llawan
    3 Engineered Plague
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Powder Keg
    2 Perish

Been a long time since this has been updated. There has been a fair amount of support from a lot of players with this deck. This one is one of the later ones posted in the threads. The sb has been heavily influenced by the French players' "bridgewalkers" deck. (transmute artifact package).

2 Smokestack
    3 Trinisphere
    2 The Abyss
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Tangle Wire
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Dimir Signet
    4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    2 Maze of Ith
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Swamp
    2 Island
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Cursed Totem
    SB: 1 Damping Matrix
    SB: 1 Trinisphere
    SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Transmute Artifact
    SB: 1 Perish
    SB: 1 Virtue's Ruin
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void

Tournament Reports

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post548172

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post537502

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post532294

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post528674

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post540033

Pretty sure this was the list:

//Stax (19)

4 Trinisphere
    2 The Abyss
    3 Smokestack
    2 Tangle Wire
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Crucible of Worlds

//Planeswalkers (8)

//Mana Sources (5)

4 Mox Diamond
    1 Mox Opal

//Lands (28)

2 Seat of the Synod
    2 Island
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Maze of Ith
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Wasteland
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea

//Sideboard

1 Tangle Wire
    4 Engineered Plague
    1 Karn, Silver Golem
    2 Cursed Totem
    2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Smokestack

wondering if this deck would have any value over the other UB chalice decks that have come out since then. in addition many sets have come out since circa 2012.

anyone still playing this?
    Last edited by mistercakes; 11-25-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Re: Planeswalker Stax

For any Stax deck, I highly recommend 1 or 2 Gods' Eye, Gate to the Rekai. Also, why only 2 smokestacks? I understand with tutors, but I'd say 3.
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

God's Eye, Gate to Rekai is terrible. Trying to support two colors on a Stax manabase is hard enough as it is without including more colorless sources.

Propaganda probably doesn't work in this deck because it doesn't protect your Planeswalkers.

EDIT: Also, you really probably should be running four Cities and Tombs. Your Chalices and Trinispheres get progressively worse the less double lands you play.

EDIT2: If you can make the mana work, The Abyss might be a good replacement for Propaganda, since it leaves your Tezzeret'd artifacts alone.

If you're going to run PW in a stax with blue run Tezz 1.0

And cut a tabernacle for the 3rd seat.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    If you're going to run PW in a stax with blue run Tezz 1.0

And cut a tabernacle for the 3rd seat.
    The whole point is to try new stuff out. Old tezz has been tried enough. Abyss is a possible option. I would like to stick another Smokestack, but not sure what to cut other than a jace.

bruizar

Why would you want to run a third seat of the synod? Its terrible. 1 Seat of the Synod is enough.

Thread Information