Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Planeswalker Stax

Re: Planeswalker Stax

i have played in last local turnament (with great result..2nd of 20) an ub planeswalker stax..

this is my list ^^

25 lands

Wasteland 4
    Ancient Tomb 4
    Underground Sea 2
    City of Traitors 3
    Polluted Delta 1
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth 1
    The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale 2
    Maze of Ith 3
    Island 2
    Academy Ruins 1
    Scalding Tarn 1
    Misty Rainforest 1

26 artifacts

Trinisphere 4
    Mox Diamond 4
    Chalice of the Void 4
    Smokestack 3
    Tangle Wire 3
    Crucible of Worlds 3
    Engineered Explosives 2
    Ensnaring Bridge 2
    Mox Opal 1

3 enchantaments

The Abyss 2
    Sylvan Library 1

6 planeswalker

Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas 3
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor 3

side

Leyline of the Void4 ---> grave hate + side combo... super XD
    Cursed Totem1
    Uba Mask 2 ---> great vs miracles and combo with mana denail
    Ensnaring Bridge 1 ---> vs show and tell end very aggro deck
    Boil 2 ---> vs solid mana base deck (marefolk, high tide ecc..)
    Engineered Plague 3
    Helm of Obedience 2

any comments is welcome..^^

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by mekrevan View Post
    i have played in last local turnament (with great result..2nd of 20) an ub planeswalker stax..

this is my list ^^

25 lands

Wasteland 4
    Ancient Tomb 4
    Underground Sea 2
    City of Traitors 3
    Polluted Delta 1
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth 1
    The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale 2
    Maze of Ith 3
    Island 2
    Academy Ruins 1
    Scalding Tarn 1
    Misty Rainforest 1

26 artifacts

Trinisphere 4
    Mox Diamond 4
    Chalice of the Void 4
    Smokestack 3
    Tangle Wire 3
    Crucible of Worlds 3
    Engineered Explosives 2
    Ensnaring Bridge 2
    Mox Opal 1

3 enchantaments

The Abyss 2
    Sylvan Library 1

6 planeswalker

Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas 3
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor 3

side

Leyline of the Void4 ---> grave hate + side combo... super XD
    Cursed Totem1
    Uba Mask 2 ---> great vs miracles and combo with mana denail
    Ensnaring Bridge 1 ---> vs show and tell end very aggro deck
    Boil 2 ---> vs solid mana base deck (marefolk, high tide ecc..)
    Engineered Plague 3
    Helm of Obedience 2

any comments is welcome..^^
    this is great! could you write about your matchups. i'm interested in finding out how many wins were based on you getting nut draws with chalice or trinisphere on turn 1 and how many matches you grinded out.

-rob
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    this is great! could you write about your matchups. i'm interested in finding out how many wins were based on you getting nut draws with chalice or trinisphere on turn 1 and how many matches you grinded out.

-rob
    in 5 turn i have played vs

1° t1: bug, i have win dice, ancient tomb--> chalice at 1 my opponent cast force and remove spellpirce
    t2: i play wasteland, diamond for trinisphere.. in 2 turns draw a crucible and is game
    post side : -3 tangle wire -2 smokestack -1 esnaring bridge
    +4 leyline +2 helm of obedience
    t1: i have no land in first hand --> mullingan draw a leyline.. my oppo in this game see all caunter but in late game i see with tezzeret my combo and close the game

2-0

2° mono red : my oppo play first and i draw very bad no chance.. no chalice or trinisphere >_>
    -1 smokestack +1 Ensnaring Bridge

t1 i play explosive at 1 , my oppo play chain lightning
    t2 chalice at 1, oppo land and nothing
    t3 i play trinisphere
    t4 play jace brainstorm--> chalice(played the next turn at 2) and is game ^^

my oppo in the last round mulligan to 5 and i draw good.. another win for me ^^
    2-1

3° rug 2-0

4° hig tide 2-1

5° omnitell 1-1

i write the last turn tomorrow, i have played 60% or chalice or trinisphere at turn 1 in this games
    (sorry for bad english^^)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

in 5 turn i have played vs

1° t1: bug, i have win dice, ancient tomb--> chalice at 1 my opponent cast force and remove spellpirce
    t2: i play wasteland, diamond for trinisphere.. in 2 turns draw a crucible and is game
    post side : -3 tangle wire -2 smokestack -1 esnaring bridge
    +4 leyline +2 helm of obedience
    t1: i have no land in first hand --> mullingan draw a leyline.. my oppo in this game see all caunter but in late game i see with tezzeret my combo and close the game

2-0

2° mono red : my oppo play first and i draw very bad no chance.. no chalice or trinisphere >_>
    -1 smokestack +1 Ensnaring Bridge

t1 i play explosive at 1 , my oppo play chain lightning
    t2 chalice at 1, oppo land and nothing
    t3 i play trinisphere
    t4 play jace brainstorm--> chalice(played the next turn at 2) and is game ^^

my oppo in the last round mulligan to 5 and i draw good.. another win for me ^^
    2-1

3° rug 2-0

4° hig tide 2-1

5° omnitell 1-1

i write the last turn tomorrow, i have played 60% or chalice or trinisphere at turn 1 in this games
    (sorry for bad english^^)
    nice job! cool w/ uba mask. did you get to use it?
    -rob

nice job! cool w/ uba mask. did you get to use it?
    i use usualy uba mask vs mirales.. i have add it in this turnament post side in match vs omnitell

I'd been playing a rogue Affinity build for a while, and keep landing on Tezzeret. I came up with a really rough list that kinda combines the Stax spells with the Affinity manabase:

4 Mox Opal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Darkwater Catacombs
    3 Ancient Tomb

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thoughtcast
    4 Force of Will
    4 Engineered Explosives
    4 The Abyss

4 Master of Etherium
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Baleful Strix

EE - to help metalcraft T1. It's a 0 drop that becomes a useful topdeck.
    Jace - imprints to Chrome and pitches to FoW. It's the weak finisher here, but I tried playing all Strixes, and those guys just never close a game out. Jace does that.
    Manabase - still tinkering with it. It's not fully there yet, gotta figure out what I need for mana (this amount seems to manaflood me).

I'm still hoping for a finisher that beats out Baleful Strix, like maybe the old Tezz, but I've found Strix useful whenever I draw him. Chalice @2 is still nice, but with Abrupt Decays going around, isn't the house it used to be. I guess losing out one card to double chalice lock ain't that bad. Goblins MU is still pretty much impossible... so many bad cards, ugh.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Feb 2013
    Southern California

Any thoughts/ideas about trying out Eater of Days as an alternate win condition? Seems like a solid plan if you have a Stack in play with 2+ counters. It can be found with Tezz, which is a nice plus too.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Any thoughts/ideas about trying out Eater of Days as an alternate win condition? Seems like a solid plan if you have a Stack in play with 2+ counters. It can be found with Tezz, which is a nice plus too.

Just a thought.
    mm i think 1 is the right number for this experiment, because the stack are not alwis on the board end with 2 counters on them.

ps: any one have sideboard options vs abrupt decay?

Feb 2013
    Southern California

mm i think 1 is the right number for this experiment, because the stack are not alwis on the board end with 2 counters on them.

ps: any one have sideboard options vs abrupt decay?
    VS. Abrupt Decay I think Spellskite is the ideal solution. Misdirection &/or Redirect could also work. I think Misdirection would probably be the better option especially if Trinisphere's in play.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Casting Misdirection with its alternative cost will cost you removing a card and 3 colorless mana with a 3sphere up.

Feb 2013
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Casting Misdirection with its alternative cost will cost you removing a card and 3 colorless mana with a 3sphere up.
    You're absolutely right Bobmans, thanks for the correction. That would've been a, "Judge!" moment for me in a tourney!

Jan 2013
    Rome

hi there,
    this is a variation to your list. But really worth it , i've tried it with very good results.
    enjoy yourself
    4x chalice of the void
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3x Liliana of the Veil
    2x the abyss
    4x Braids, the Cabal Minion
    3x Dismember
    4x Trinisphere
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Talisman of Dominance
    3x Dimir Signet
    4x Wasteland
    3x Smokestack
    4x Crucible of Worlds
    4x Mishra's Factory
    4x Underground Sea
    4x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

sideboard to be defined
    2x perish
    1x ensaring bridge
    2x massacre
    2x p needle
    2x enginnered plague
    4x leyline of the void
    2xserum powder

Feb 2013
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush3 View Post
    hi there,
    this is a variation to your list. But really worth it , i've tried it with very good results.
    enjoy yourself
    4x chalice of the void
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3x Liliana of the Veil
    2x the abyss
    4x Braids, the Cabal Minion
    3x Dismember
    4x Trinisphere
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Talisman of Dominance
    3x Dimir Signet
    4x Wasteland
    3x Smokestack
    4x Crucible of Worlds
    4x Mishra's Factory
    4x Underground Sea
    4x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

sideboard to be defined
    2x perish
    1x ensaring bridge
    2x massacre
    2x p needle
    2x enginnered plague
    4x leyline of the void
    2xserum powder
    This looks pretty fun. Do you have any tournament reports? Also, your list is 61 cards. Is that what you're running or is there a typo somewhere?

Has anyone considered Paradox Haze or is that just being greedy?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Was thinking about this new strionic resonator, and how it works well with smokestack, tangle wire, tabernacle, the abyss. This might be the right shell for a deck using this new card. Not sure if it's a win more card, but i like how it can make a tangle wire useful for many turns which can give u time to find wasteland or crucible. With more people playing blue black tezz, maybe some people could test this.
    -rob

Was thinking about this new strionic resonator, and how it works well with smokestack, tangle wire, tabernacle, the abyss. This might be the right shell for a deck using this new card. Not sure if it's a win more card, but i like how it can make a tangle wire useful for many turns which can give u time to find wasteland or crucible. With more people playing blue black tezz, maybe some people could test this.
    Resonator will trigger for only one creature for the Tabernacle upkeep, since Tab gives a static ability, and the ability triggers during upkeep. On The Abyss, your opponent can just re-target the same creature that was going to die. It does allow you to kill a single Mother of Runes, though (let them tap Mom, then activate Resonator to put a new Abyss trigger on the stack). It's obviously the nuts with Smokestack and Tangle Wire, but I suspect at 4 mana, it's a win-more. It's pretty easy to Force a Smokestack if you know it's going to be Resonated a lot, and then you're stuck with a card that doesn't do a whole lot with the rest of the deck. I think it needs more synergy to bother with it.
    (And it does re-trigger Chalice of the Void. Woot!).
    Rings of Brighthearth is probably a little more useful, and still not quite playable.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."

The Diet Coke of Legacy

Jul 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Has anyone considered Paradox Haze or is that just being greedy?
    I would not consider trying Paradox Haze, as it is a win-more card and does not affect the board state.
    <Dave> dude...ive done this at ptq

Hi Mistercakes!

It's been ages, but I noticed you edited the main post, and figured I'd weigh in a bit on this deck.

True-Name Nemesis is the absolute worst. I hate the card. It's totally unbalanced, doesn't make sense in the color pie, and still not good enough to make most legacy decks. Not more than a 1-2 of. But that's enough when you run this Planeswalker killer. And Merfolk... they effectively run 8x of these. It's brutal. I lost to TNN 2 of 8 rounds late last year.

And yes, there've been a lot of sets since 2012. I found one good card: Blighted Fen. That's it. Since then, the meta I've seen has changed more to Tokens, esp Young Pyromancer's kids. Actually, Toxic Deluge is a GREAT addition and fights these lil' guys; that said, I feel it's a SB addition. If you don't have 4x Abyss (but really, who doesn't?), maybe it makes the MD instead.

Enough blather. Here's a list that I haven't really tested. I'm adding some Bridges because TNN is so tough to fight, even with Abyss + Blighted Fen:

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Underground Sea
    2 U fetch
    3 Island
    3 Tolaria West
    3 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Gargoyle Castle (or Blighted Fen)

-3 Chrome Mox, +1 Creeping Tar Pit, Tolaria West (to make 4x) Cabal Pit (for Teeg)

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Intuition
    4 Jace TMS
    4 The Abyss
    4 Tezz AoB
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Engineered Explosives

-4 Force of Will, -1 Slaughter Pact (Cabal Pit for Teeg)
    +3 Trinisphere
    +2 Ensnaring Bridge (#3 in the SB)

It's slower without the Chromes, which is the biggest difference. But it also doesn't need 16+ Chrome imprintables to run, so it makes SB'ing a bit less complicated. And also, more Artifacts for Tezz to +1; a lot of times, Tezz +1 would whiff. Which is fine, the style of The Abyss makes you want to jam more board control anyway, not card advantage. I'm pretty sure this makes 60. Perhaps Abyss #4 should be Bridge #3.

My meta is almost half-Chalice, and the worst of the Chalice decks is 4-color Loam, featuring Mox Diamond and Dark Confidant. I've hated casting FoW on a turn 1 Confidant, I have to, but I'm at such a disadvantage after... I have never recovered from those games. And obv he's running Chalice, so my main disruption is pretty worthless - I need to get Chalice @2 for any effect.

I'd test this and get back to you, but honestly... I'm busy playtesting Quicksilver Behemoth. Seriously. I'm only one man, here!

Oh, and did I mention TNN is totally non-interactive? The card is awful, and just poorly designed. Thanks Wizards!

Thread Information