Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st at Dartmouth, MA with Turbo-Drazi for x4 Underground Sea Feb 20, 2011

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Re: 1st at Dartmouth, MA with Turbo-Drazi for x4 Underground Sea Feb 20, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    Last note! I'm Currently invoking my creative control over Turbo-Drazi as I feel it needs a name-upgrade/change. Post your ideas here. I generally enjoy names that don't try to emphasize what I consider the weaknesses of a deck, namely Locus/posts. Anyone suggesting Flying spaghetti monster references will be shot. buried, then shot again. Anyone with references to Lovecraftian or Egyptian horrors will get extra consideration!
    I dislike the way people on the source always give strange reference names to their decks. This is so bad when you are trying to talk about legacy with people are not deeply into the format. My vote goes for UG locus.

Congratulations on the work.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

@Cadelabra:

I just bought one for $75 (ouch!). I bought my first one a couple years ago for $12. The card is hugely underrated and I expect it will see more and more use as time goes by. Unrestricting it was an awesome move. Ramp isn't the only use for it though. I would actually like to build a Whitenchantress deck with Serra's Sanctum and Deserted Temple. With ETutor, you could fetch anything you needed and white actually has a ton of good win condition enchantments to choose from.

Anyhow, awesome deck. Good job on the wins.

Feb 2011
    Cape Fear

Great deck. I played it yesterday in an MTGO Legacy Daily event after reading your previous thread. Thankfully the deck is significantly cheaper on Magic Online. I posted a video of my tournament, feel free to critique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWyKbmMCf0o

A different player also played the deck and has also been doing well online with it. Maybe someone plays it at the SCG Open this weekend.

Link to MTGO Tournament:
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital.../tourn/2086204

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Link to MTGO Tournament:
    Linky
    There were two Turbo-Drazi decks in that online event. Looks like the deck is picking up steam. Trinket Mage seems pretty good fetching both Expedition Map and Candelabra. I would be tempted to say it's a little slow, but with this deck probably not so much.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    There were two Turbo-Drazi decks in that online event. Looks like the deck is picking up steam. Trinket Mage seems pretty good fetching both Expedition Map and Candelabra. I would be tempted to say it's a little slow, but with this deck probably not so much.
    I could understand replacing TFK with Trinket mages in some regard. They perform similar functions, which is generate card advantage. TM of course only gets you artifacts while TFK gets you everything. Both are solid though, and I'll test more TM.

This list subs the ponders for TM and ups the mana count by 1 by including bojuka bog. Dropping low CmC filtering (both ponder and 1 top) seems dangerous, but the theory of Trinket Mage is sound, inthat with enough mana he will filter as well ifnot better than ponder, and he is obviously significantly better once you're beyond 3 mana. It also gives you answers to Chalice post side, which is something I was seeking desperately.
    Last edited by Rock Lee; 02-22-2011 at 11:41 PM.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Expedition Map as janky on first sight, is a tremendously underrated card in formats.

When Expedition Map was spoiled, it went straight into my Arcum Dagsson EDH deck (back then with Academy still legal) and it simply owned games. Tutoring for broken lands is very very powerful. It's a pity that Map can't really be fit into Vintage deck, because it finds a ton of broken lands (Workshops, Strip, Academy). I think it maybe time, if possible that it finds its way into Vintage after innovation (but I doubt so due to how constrained the format is in terms of design/innovations).

Regardless, I was playing Extended Highlander (yes all these wacky formats outside of Legacy) and Trinket Mage into Expedition Map in the control mirror owned so hard it's not even funny: fetching up tarpit against Jace, Tec Edge against my tarpit, Mystifying Maze, it felt really unbalanced for the person (me) not playing Expedition Map.

Regardless, all these lame stories are to go about showing that Map has always had a potential. On paper it looks crappy to fetch for a land investing 3 mana, but fetching a land in an eternal format could very well mean a big difference in games (lands are quite powerful in eternal format, hence the existence of a 43-lands deck lol). Kudos for you to finding the best shell to play the maps, which isn't cute at all, but critical at developing the posts, stabilizing with glimmerposts, and winning games because of it.

God damn glimmerpost is so broken in this deck XD. Good luck and I support your trolls against the trolls! Also, it's usually good to stay angry against trolls, because "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger" - Palpatine (my favorite quote of all time).
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

Tolaria West does the same thing for the same price but you could argue that the UU1 cost is a bit prohibitive. You could also argue in it's defense that it also fetches EE, Chalice, Crypt, etc. Not saying it's going to be a fit for this deck but in some respects, it's more versatile.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    Tolaria West does the same thing for the same price but you could argue that the UU1 cost is a bit prohibitive. You could also argue in it's defense that it also fetches EE, Chalice, Crypt, etc. Not saying it's going to be a fit for this deck but in some respects, it's more versatile.
    Does not pitch to FoW...
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    Does not pitch to FoW...
    Expediton Map pitches to FoW? Wow, I missed that.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    Expediton Map pitches to FoW? Wow, I missed that.
    going to assume he meant TFK. expedition map is not on the table for cutting. If you dont' realize why, playtest more.

If you're going with a Jewish Mysticism subtheme, name it Madonna. Too classy.

Also, not sure I understand this:
    Jeff with Indy 4cc Thresh

This is a rough matchup for him to say the least and we both know it. Jeff is a great guy though, and takes his licks with pride and a smile.
    Is that to say he was playing Countertop (great matchup) or Threshold (unwinnable matchup)? More to the point, pressure+ land disruption is a beating. I saw someone suggest Exploration, but is there something in particular about your play style that makes Wasteland not as auto-loss to you as it is to TES? I was apparently wrong to think ramp is an unplayable archetype in this format, but still don't see how it beats stiflewaste. Not from a theoretical perspective, but from actual experience of just being stifled/ wasted once or twice and then run over by a 5/6 Tarmogoyf.
    Great success!

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Discard + waste works just about the same. I went like 1-6 in playtesting against junk. Add in a vindicate/kotr shenigans and you're in a biig trouble. I've won once where he didn't get any wastelands and that's about it.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

BWA-HA-HA!

You're being trolled by SCG!

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...nd_Profit.html

Calling the deck garbage against Moon effects is premature, there's 3 Repeals 3 All is Dust and a shitload of ways to dig into them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    going to assume he meant TFK. expedition map is not on the table for cutting. If you dont' realize why, playtest more.
    I know, it was a joke. I don't think he read my post. Also, I agree Expedition Map is what you want to go with and I don't have Tolaria West in my deck, I was just pointing out some differences between the cards. That turn 1 Map into turn 2 Locus fetch is pretty much what the deck wants to do.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Levine clearly was looking at your decklist seeing "All non-basics I win!" without realizing that you could easily play 1 Basic Island if you find Blood Moon in your meta. And that 1 basic Island will make DStompy cry hard going EOT repeal, untap play All is Dust "Oh hi there you dumped your hand to play Moon and 1 dude, that's cool" or hardcast Eldrazi and rofl.

Also, I don't even think you need that 1 basic Island, because to play that Island means that you're afraid of Blood Moon, which shouldn't be the case in any current metas. I'd like to see Blood Moon fight against the infestation of hierarchs/vials/lackeys that are omnipresent in the format currently.

I don't think turbo-drazi is the tits high, I think it's an innovative list that works because the pilot/designer designed it and knows how to play it. But I do know that dismissing the deck and commenting on the deck without actually PLAYTESTING the deck is the tits low. Example, Levine getting a nerdgasm thinking Moon will shut this down without realizing that a single basic Island will just blow DStompy over and over again it's not even funny. Good job designing/picking a deck to ROFL Turbo-drazi which changed one card to entirely destroy your deck.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    Also, I don't even think you need that 1 basic Island, because to play that Island means that you're afraid of Blood Moon, which shouldn't be the case in any current metas.
    The island is also there for B2B, which merfolk always bring in against you.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    Calling the deck garbage against Moon effects is premature, there's 3 Repeals 3 All is Dust and a shitload of ways to dig into them.
    I have played against it twice now with Sneak Show and have won 3 games off Moon t1-t2, by the time Posts has 4 mana for Repeal I have Daze at the least and All is Dust is not going to resolve in a timely manner against Sneak. Might be slower with CBalance tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Sep 2008
    Santiago, Chile

Candledrazi is a good name, maybe even Candlejack
    Congratz man, the deck is a blast to play, and I remember when you stomped me in MWS haha.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I really wonder how you can pull of those broken plays. Your draw must be flawless. I tested serveral matches online and altough it was ok against control, almost every aggrodeck kills me within the first turns. If cloudpost gets wasted or candelabra gets countered the deck sits there and dies.
    I dont know..
    I made a few change, which Im going to post on the thread. Stuff like Time Spiral seems good in it.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Thread Information