Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st at Dartmouth, MA with Turbo-Drazi for x4 Underground Sea Feb 20, 2011

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

1st at Dartmouth, MA with Turbo-Drazi for x4 Underground Sea Feb 20, 2011

TLDR: Turbo-Drazi did it again, eat it haters.

STORY TIME (Skip past this if you don't like stories, or time):
    In an effort to raise the prices of Candelabra of Tawnos even higher than its current price, I took Turbo-Drazi to the largest event I could find within a 4 hour radius this weekend. I had never been to Dartmouth, MA but for some reason I recall there being lots of talks of cows and the woes of isolation in regard to Dartmouth and talk of the place being generally reminiscent of the Lovecraftian Dunwich, so I went into this event with a large degree of trepidation. All three of my Magical Card tromping troupe abandoned me for less cardboard endeavors so I was flying solo this time. Hurray 3 hour drives! If anyone decides to go to Dartmouth, MA, for the love of god do not use Google Maps. While normally Google Maps will get you there easier and happier than the mapquest or yahoo maps equivalents, apparently when it comes to U Mass Dartmouth, Google maps wants to send you sight seeing some rather impressive, but not Dartmouth windmills deep down Route 24-S in the bowels of southern Massachusetts. This complete failure to be anywhere near Dartmouth by what I thought was a 10 am starting time in combination with the idea that at any time the Cthulhu worshiping townsfolk were going to eat my brains, I wasn't off to a good start and panic was running amok in my vehicle of one. After some kindly locals redirected me 45 minutes in the direction of Dartmouth I arrived frenzied and exasperated. Dashing for the entrance and registration I slammed down my 30 dollars praying that they would delay the entries at the sight of some delicious Hamiltons. It was then that I was told that the event wasn't beginning for another hour, and likely another two since I wasn't the only person having issues getting to the dark abyss known as Dartmouth. So then I got some great reading done for two hours while I sat pretty.

I played the exact same decklist as the previous week at Jupiter, having thought of no greater synergies in the sideboard.

// Lands
    4 [MR] Cloudpost
    4 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [U] Tropical Island
    1 [IN] Island (2)
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    1 [JGC] Flooded Strand

// Creatures
    2 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 [M11] Primeval Titan
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

// Spells
    3 [ROE] All Is Dust
    4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    4 [FNM] Thirst for Knowledge
    4 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
    4 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
    3 [GP] Repeal
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [M10] Ponder
    3 [UL] Crop Rotation

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 3 [ZEN] Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 3 [TE] Propaganda
    SB: 4 [R] Energy Flux
    SB: 4 [SOK] Pithing Needle

As I am a pro at only writing shorthand and losing half my notes, these will be from memory.

Round 1: Merfolk (Ends up Top 8'ing)

Game one: I drop kozilek on turn 4, which doesn't go over too well for him
    Game two: he crazy swarms me while supplying two forces. oh you merfolk, when you do it, you do it so well
    Game three: I assume an easy win with a hand of 3 cloudposts, kozilek, all is dust. I end up being caught at a bad time against a Back to Basics. I end up punting by going all in on an all is dust instead of propaganda, then eot Repealing the B2B untapping and winning. grrrr! I punt and really hope a round 1 loss doesn't cost me the event!

Round 2: Goblins(Adam)
    Oh good. Red men. Aight bring it red men.

Game one: he keeps a hand with wasteland, vial, million-angry-goblins. I keep a hand of force of will and a blue card and lands. Hurray force on vial. He doesn't find a red source for two draws, which is ample time for me to play big bad colorless men.
    Game two: My notes show that he ends up attacking me for 18 when all he had in play was a piledriver at the start of the turn. yuck.
    Game three: Turn 4 emrakul. who needs player interaction?

Round 3: Indy 4cc Thresh (Li)

Game 1: Turn 4 Emrakul. rawr.
    Game 2: He resolves an early Meddling Mage naming Repeal, while I'm holding 3 in hand. Awk Ward. He then sticks Ajani Vengant and keeps my single Cloud Locus tapped. He ultimates me, and I would come back had it not been hastened by a tarmogoyf of epic proportions (he was a 6/7 and was missing creature)
    Game 3: Turn 5 Emrakul. hate makes it one turn later. Still works though!

Round 4: Burn (Dalton)
    I had heard that there was a treacherous burn player completely stomping the top tables. This of course, scares me shitless, so I make sure I know him by his fancy hat. When the Fancy Hat man strolls up to my table and shakes my hand, I require a new pair of pants.

Game 1: My notes show me going down to 7, and then gaining back up to 27 from a Primeval Titan. I believe it was on turn 4. On the pivotal life swing, He responds to the double glimmerpost trigger from Primeval Titan with Flames of the Blood Hand, which BLOWS MY MIND. Unfortunately I have the force for it, so thank goodness for that.
    Game 2: As if game 1 didn't have enough lifegain, I gain 36 life this game, making for a very very frown town burn player. This opponent goes on to tell everyone else that I'm playing a lifegain deck, which I love him for! <3

Round 5: Canadian Thresh (Dana)
    Dana is always highly enjoyable to play against. Not only does he look just like the Undertaker, and I know this without even owning a television nor watching soap operas for guys, but he innovates and has the massive brass cohones to play decks like mono red burn and crush people's dreams with it. Today he's playing Thresh, unfortunately for him.

Game 1: Kozilek resolved on turn 4.
    Game 2: Nimble Mongoose chews at my face for several turns, followed shortly by a goyf. My life flutters at 2, but a repeal on goyf followed by an all is dust lets me gain up to 6, 8, 14, then emrakul. Ermakul life is my favorite life total.

Round 6: ID into Top 8. cheats

Top 8!

Jeff with Indy 4cc Thresh

This is a rough matchup for him to say the least and we both know it. Jeff is a great guy though, and takes his licks with pride and a smile.
    Game 1: I play many things that get swords'd, Kozilek, Primeval Titan, both of which do their duty once they've hit play and Jeff can't match the absurd Card Advantage
    Game 2: I keep a hella risky hand of one mana producing land, two vesuva, ugin, top, force, thirst. He forces my top and I debate forcing back but decide I will mise like a beast. I don't. Instead I play a highly risky play of crop rotation in response to a Trinket Mage on the stack with Counterbalance Top in play. He opts to let the crop rotation resolve, which is risky and he beats himself up over it mercilessly. I then vesuva the cloudpost three times and play Emrakul.

Top 4
    Merfolk. Of all the aggro matchups, I strongly prefer Merfolk. They lose massive amounts of inertia to both pinpoint and sweeping removal, and I pack that in droves.

Game 1: I cast a turn 4 Kozilek, which evokes many frowns.
    Game 2: Turn 3 has a repeal on attacking merfolk, which draws out counters. Turn 4 has a primeval titan, which my opponent apparently misread and thought the search was a trigger on casting it instead of an ETB trigger. He lets it resolve and while I'm tutoring lands he shows me the force, which he kicks himself for not casting. I win with the titan.

Finals!
    Merfolk. (Eric) Freakin blue men and women need to sink!

Game 1: He keeps a double wasteland hand, and stifles my fetchland. However, I keep a 4 land hand and draw more. I cast an Emrakul by the time he has dealt me 6 damage. hurray.
    Game 2: He pounds my face in with wastes and stifles again, but vial is keeping up the pressure. Oh those merfolk and their merfolky ways. My only out this game is for him to not pay for tabernacle, which he does. fiddles!
    Game 3: I gain a reconkuloso amount of health off early cloudposts into larger glimmerpost gains. We have a rather epic counter war over an eot Eye of ugin activation. Ugin -> Stifle -> Force -> Force -> Force -> Force. frowns. Still though, its inevitable and two turns later kozilek carries to victory on the back of multiple candelabras.

Slops!
    -Google Maps
    -Cthulhu
    -Misplays costing me matches
    -17 degree weather making fresh air a limited commodity
    -1 hour delay on starting, although acceptable for a 1st big event

Props!
    -Great locals and an incredible event venue
    -Attractive woman gamer with a furry fluffy tail. I swear to you, no matter what level of cosplay you ascribe to or hate, you cannot not be distracted by this level of hotness. I prayed to the Cardboard deities not to get paired with her for I would be thumbs and babbling incoherently. The gods answered my request.
    -Dartmouth's gaming club placing 3 people in the top 8! Go go locals.

Dartmouth Gaming Society may just become my new most favorite venue for legacy events. Their -2-19-11-Legacy-Underground-Seas]most recent event was simply amazing. In addition to a great hall that could easily support 200 people, they had multiple staff on hand vending food, helping with registration, and having multiple people on the judging staff. There was a large amount of both organization and enthusiasm to be efficient and friendly. This event felt smooth and controlled like a PTQ. The DGS had multiple gaming counsels set up for Super Smash Brawl and some Capcom vs Marvel type thing, which gave players great outlets between rounds and nearing the end of the event. There were actually women taking food and drink orders of players between and during rounds, which blew my mind! When they went over their goal on players to prizes, they gave out almost 3 full boxes of Mirrodin Besieged for upto top 16 and a large amount of judge promos. Ultimately, this was a group of social players who enjoy running events as much as we enjoy playing in them. I will completely attend with even highly reluctant teammates to a similarly sized event in the future and I strongly suggest others check them out as well! Apparently they haven't been posting on the source with their recent events, but I'm sure that will change now.

Last note! I'm Currently invoking my creative control over Turbo-Drazi as I feel it needs a name-upgrade/change. Post your ideas here. I generally enjoy names that don't try to emphasize what I consider the weaknesses of a deck, namely Locus/posts. Anyone suggesting Flying spaghetti monster references will be shot. buried, then shot again. Anyone with references to Lovecraftian or Egyptian horrors will get extra consideration!
    Last edited by Rock Lee; 02-20-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Re: 1st at Dartmouth, MA with Turbo-Drazi for x4 Underground Sea Feb 20, 2011

I always knew Cloudpost would break Legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

I was your rd 3 opponent. Despite what people say on here, and despite my multiple misplays (I'm just a bad player evident from the errors from all 3 planeswalkers), you were a pleasure to play against.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Lucksacking two in a row I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Sadly I made afew terrible misplays that allowed for that turn 4 Kozilek :( playing a gofy instead of keeping mana up for V clique to keep you off of the threat, and forgetting that eye of ugin reduces cc by 2 and that a daze wouldent be enough to counter it. I was thinking out the plan of hitting goyf counter kozilek v clique the 2nd time and have attacked for lethal :( Def a fun match overall though looking forward to playing against it again.
    The Dead Will Rise... Rest In Peace

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Sorry if I missed it, but how many players there were? Also grats on winning!

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but how many players there were? Also grats on winning!
    41 players I believe

Gratz on the win!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    I feel it needs a name-upgrade/change.
    Rudolph.dec?

Refuses to play dual lands
    Mar 2007
    Terryville, CT

I played the girl with the tail "aka snow" round 1, and was seated next to her another 2 times during the event.She was a pleasure to play against, I immediately commented on her henna tattoo that was craftily placed on her cleavage. But her feminine charms fail to distract me as I take her down in two games. Makes me feel even stranger to find she is a decade younger than I. But whatever, a pleasant person to look at sitting across from the table is better than some grimy unkempt slouch.

All in all the tournament was well run aside from the hour plus delay in getting it started.

I did enjoy discussing the deck with you, and glad to see you rocked it to another high finish.

You should find out how to say something offensive in Hebrew and use it as the name for your deck since you are packing 4 "Jew candles"

Even in an event this small there were people who obviously didn't shower for at least 3 days before the event apparently. Cmon people, really?
    TEAM AWESOME

Well, at least we smell better

*** on TMD

Nov 2005
    New England

Congratulations on the win, Jeremiah. Very impressive. And all the more impressive since you even defeated Master Tap.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_C View Post
    You should find out how to say something offensive in Hebrew and use it as the name for your deck since you are packing 4 "Jew candles"
    I had never heard this statement "Jew Candle" until this event, when three different people commented on my Candelabra of Tawnos as such. I have mixed feelings about endorsing a deck name with that as a theme. On one side I love the idea of this deck being an outsider and outcast running a parallel to Jews being ostracized and downcast as early as 150 BCE in lieu of Greek state religion and more outwardly zealously persecuted from 150 CE onward. I love the idea that a Jewish connotation would basically be a united "haters gonna hate."

Zoharistic Kabbalah (Jewish Mysticism) has some incredible inspirations of mythological beasts that I would put akin to Lovecraftian and Egyptian monstrosities. Here's a few of the delicious beasties from the Zohar:

Mystical Beasts in Judaism:
    Behemoth: Known by any self-respecting antisocialite as a monsterously large beast.
    Golem: Is another well known nerdterm of an animated anthropromorphic being. Imo overused.
    Leviathan: Known by many magic players, but originally in the Zohar one of the seven princes of hell and its gatekeeper.
    Bar Juchne: a massive colossal bird said to block out the sun with its wingspan. Similar to Ziz and Zig, both of which are giant birds that block out the sun.

Demons in Judaism:
    -Qliphoth (Pronounced Kli-fof) refers to the the representation of evil forces in the Kabbalah (mystical jewish teachings), and is often known better through what it contains, which is the Sephiroth, the 10 manifestations of God's will. The Qliphoth is looked at as the place where you will find the *absolute* of all averse conditions, as in absolute lust, absolute envy, etc, which makes it sound incredibly awesome.
    -Samuel is a fallen angel in lines with Satan, the bringer of death, a seducer, destroyer, and general overall badass
    -Lillith often overused as some sort of vampire inspiration, according to Judaism Lilith left Adam after she refused to become subservient to him and then would not return to the Garden of Eden after she mated with archangel Samael. This makes her the first feminist ever, and therefore the epitome of awesome.
    -Astaroth, better known through Soul Caliber, is the crowned prince of hell and is basically so overused that it would be near mocking to use it.

I like the idea of Qliphoth being all encompassing and related to the deck name, so I could mod the entire deck to be related to giant Jewish mythological struggle.

Angels in Judaism: (I'm not partial to angels. Too touchy feely and happy feelings for my tastes)
    Azazel and Ouza are two fallen angels who interbreed with humans, so that gives them a semblence of cool.

I'm interested in the opinions of Jewish magic players. Where I grew up (in New England, US) the term "Jew" itself can have conflicted meanings. Hateful people use the word as slander, harkening back to centuries of hatred and antisemitism. "What a Jew" is a hateful statement and "scheisty" are slander upon stereotypical Jew thriftiness expressed in Merchant of Venice's Shylock. Despite the word carrying no negative meaning in itself, it was often a word avoided through social taboos. Generally How do both Jewish and Non-Jewish magic players feel about Candelabra of Tawnos being called a "Jew Candle" and from that statement springboarding into naming this entire deck around Jewish Mythology, likely a Jewish Demon or Beast.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

I think I remember facing you a bunch of times on MWS while you were testing this deck (I'm Dr. Steve Brule on there). Good to see it garner some success in real life.

'12post' is a ballin ass name.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

You should name this deck lorddotm.

It honors his wonderful contributions to the archetype and doubles as a frightening mythological beast - the troll.

Also, congratulations on another fine performance. I guess those Candelabras have returned their initial investment at this point.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

I just faced off against this list in my r2 of the mtgo Premier. I think it's spreading!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

The Exiled One
    May 2007
    Brussels, Belgium

Samael would be a nice name IMHO.
    Gratz on the win ;p
    "In general admittedly the Wise of all times have always said the same thing, and the fools, that is to say the vast majority of all times, have always done the same thing, i.e. the opposite; and so it will remain in the future."

Schopenhauer

I was the trecherous burn player who tore up the Countertop players left and right. If only I managed to land those Price of Progress...

YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS, CAPTAIN PLANET!

Also, name it Captain Planet. Just because.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I witnessed him stomping people out mercilessly. It was pretty awesome watching people get slain out by Candelabra not gonna lie. I use to rock a combo deck with those way back in the day so it made me happy to see someone else crush with them.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
    You should name this deck lorddotm.

It honors his wonderful contributions to the archetype and doubles as a frightening mythological beast - the troll.
    I fully endorse this deck being named lorddotm.

In all honesty, I think the deck is actually pretty cool (I'm a fan of anything that can hard cast Emrakul), and I would build it if it wasn't for the Candelabras, which I cannot justify buying because they would never be used elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

RE Jewish names:

Neph'ilim - fallen ones
    Menorah - candelabra
    Q'lipot (you wrote it as Qliphoth, modern Hebrew makes a harder sound of the consonants) - shell or husk literally, the shadow of souls and good figuratively
    Anak'him - giants
    Goliath - obv

Azazel is Jewish analog to the idea of scape-goat, so I doubt that fits very well for the deck's purpose.

If you're more into the vulgar:
    B'nei Zonot - sons of bitches!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    I fully endorse this deck being named lorddotm.

In all honesty, I think the deck is actually pretty cool (I'm a fan of anything that can hard cast Emrakul), and I would build it if it wasn't for the Candelabras, which I cannot justify buying because they would never be used elsewhere.
    Agreed. After I saw the list, I headed over to ebay to see how much a set of candelabra would cost me, and I instantly died a little inside...

Congrats on the finish! I'm definitely going to be testing this on Cockatrice.

Thread Information