Thread: [New Article] Building A Legacy - Abusing Green Sun's Zenith In Legacy

[New Article] Building A Legacy - Abusing Green Sun's Zenith In Legacy

Building A Legacy - Abusing Green Sun's Zenith In Legacy.

A special thanks to Drew Levin for the shout-out. Interesting spin; I think it looks pretty good.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Re: [New Article] Building A Legacy - Abusing Green Sun's Zenith In Legacy

Deck looks SICK. I need to see somebody bust this out at an Open.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

That's funny, because this deck looks like a bad experimental Natural Order deck to me, which would almost certainly be relegated to the 'New and Developmental Decks' subforum indefinitely. I like the innovation aspect for sure, but this deck just doesn't do anything for me.

I can see no reason why this would be played instead of ShowPRO (Show and Tell + Natural Order). In a field full of AEther Vials cards like Trinisphere and Chalice of the Void are underwhelming.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

I sort of agree, I read the article and really thought "this deck looks just bad overall". Maybe it will get its chance to shine, but it isn't well positioned at all in the current meta.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Why not just use GSZ on the existing mono-green chalice aggro decks? Don't they enough utility creatures that play around Chalice/3Sphere?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

He's definitely not the first to think breaking GSZ in Green Stompy:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ead.php?19728-[SCD]-Green-Sun-s-Zenith&p=515275&viewfull=1#post515275
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ead.php?19728-[SCD]-Green-Sun-s-Zenith&p=515288&viewfull=1#post515288
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ead.php?19728-[SCD]-Green-Sun-s-Zenith&p=515666&viewfull=1#post515666

But props to him for going forward with a list where others have just pondered on the idea.

The benefits of GSZ in Green Stompy:
    - Translating GG mana costs into 1G + 1 (which is much easier for stompy since you have overflow of colorless instead of G in most cases)
    - Increasing threat density (it recycles itself) and flexibility in a deck that has little draw-power and in general much fewer threats.

I don't agree fully on his list. I'd trim down to 3 Natural Order (this is from playing Green Stompy for about 3 months 2 years back). You DON'T want to draw hands with disruption + 1 or multiple natural orders and sit there wasting tempo. I never played with Scryb Rangers. I'll just go forward with more straight up business creatures that force my opponents to deal with them or make unfavorable trades.

Otherwise, a standard Green Stompy list with GSZ. GSZ does increase Green Stompy's viability, but whether Green Stompy has a good position in the meta, I do not think so. If it does, it has to involve Spawnwrithe to match an aggro-ish metagame. Spawnwrithe pretty much beats every archetype (control, Gobs, Merfolks, combo) outside of an StP and only loses to a Zoo/Bant creatures that come up 1-2 turns slower. Was there a consensus as to why Elves are played over Noble Hierarch? The interesting thing is, I've never tested Spawnwrithe with Hierarch, I've only tested the two builds independently, seems like Hierarch is another great way to connect Spawnwrithe. Spawnwrithe MD obviously needs another 2-3 equipment/Swords t complement that route.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Thread Information