Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: [Deck] Blue Zoo

Re: [Deck] Blue Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    It's sad .. New development with 8 cards + manabase difference between U/R and this. Looks like all approach to ban something from:
    - Brainstorm
    - TC
    - Delver
    My first list post cruise (and pre u/r winning for the first time) was -1 treasure cruise -1 young pyromancer - 2 gitaxian probe + 1 daze + 2 tribal flames + 1 fetchland. I actually modified it a bit to push it closer to u/r list.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    It's sad .. New development with 8 cards + manabase difference between U/R and this. Looks like all approach to ban something from:
    - Brainstorm
    - TC
    - Delver
    What's sad about a rogue deck doing well at a big event? Why do you want to turn this discussion into one about the banlist? I don't frequent this board much but I'm sure you have a whole thread for that.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by ashtonkutcher View Post
    Changed the final list quite a bit. Did really well for my first-ever Legacy tournament; went 7-2 day 1 and 4-2 day 2. Won 200$. There were 4170 players.

Creatures (13)
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Wilder Nacatl
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 True-Name Nemesis

Spells (31)
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Treasure Cruise
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    i feel like you would have won more games if swords to plowshares was actually path to exile. similar effect no life gain.

Quote Originally Posted by ajfennewald View Post
    Happy to see the deck doing well in a huge tournament. I have not got a ton of chance to play since Khans but I am 7-0-1 in the two tournaments I have played. Here is the list I have been playing

Creatures
    4 delver of secrets
    4 wild nacatl
    3 young pyromancer
    2 tarmogoyf

Spells
    2 tribal flames
    i like this creature base better than the previous list but, are y'all willing to say that nactal is better than swift spear? and if it is, is it so much better to justify a weaker mana base?

also, consider that green delve card, +6/+6... sometimes 6 damage is better than 3 cards...
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    i feel like you would have won more games if swords to plowshares was actually path to exile. similar effect no life gain.

i like this creature base better than the previous list but, are y'all willing to say that nactal is better than swift spear? and if it is, is it so much better to justify a weaker mana base?

also, consider that green delve card, +6/+6... sometimes 6 damage is better than 3 cards...
    I do think nacatl is a bit better than swiftspear. It is probably not enough better to justify the mana. It is nice to have an x-3 since forked bolt can't kill it. I have a love of nacatls that will keep me playing this deck as long as it is reasonable (which I think it will be as long as delver decks in general are good). There are some other things you gain from having green and white like some good sideboard cards and access to goyf if you want it. I think goyf is still solid even in treasure cruise mirrors. I only used 2 though so siding in grave hate is not awesome vs me.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

When I was teaching him Legacy in the car and we were brewing his List, we concluded for a créature package That was unaffected by rough // tumble in order to have a one-sided wipe against many Decks. This meant no pyromancer.

Also, path Is a great mainboard Card. You Can only Play it in the Sb and bring it in when You know your opponent doesn't play any basics.

If I were to brew this deck again, I would definitely play 19 lands with 4 Wastelands (replacing probes) go up to 4 daze (replacing snare), and replace tnn with a clique. I would also replace a stp and the last snare with a pair of pyroblasts if the meta would be the same as jersey.
    Last edited by Qweerios; 11-25-2014 at 03:28 AM.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    When I was teaching him Legacy in the car and we were brewing his List, we concluded for a créature package That was unaffected by rough // tumble in order to have a one-sided wipe against many Decks. This meant no pyromancer.

Also, path Is a garage mainboard Card. You Can only Play it in the Sb and bring it in when You know your opponent doesn't play any basics.

If I were to brew this deck again, I would definitely play 19 lands with 4 Wastelands (replacing probes) go up to 4 daze (replacing snare), and replace tnn with a clique. I would also replace a stp and the last snare with a pair of pyroblasts if the meta would be the same as jersey.
    w
    Is main deck swords really better than chain lightning? swords is counter productive to the damage plan while chain complements it. It seems like the amount of creatures played that die to sowrds but not chain is at a fairly low point. If you play 8+ burn spells the burn out from a high life total becomes a real option. I guess the bounce back effect is a bit more of a drawback than it used to be. I do think I like tailoring the creature list to be able to play rough though. I think 15 colored lands might be a little low(re playing 4 waste) I think you would want 16 at an absolute minimum. Then you could either play less than 4 waste or just play 20 lands.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Chain Lightning is sorcery speed and generally worst than Forked Bolt. Instant speed is very important for this style of deck too. The deck plays exactly like Canadian Thresh with a 3rd color. You forfeit shroud and stifles for a faster 3/3 and Treasure Cruise. RUG traditionally has trouble dealing with opposing Goyfs which is why they pack Submerges in the SB. Fortunately for us, we have access to the best 1 CMC removal in the format. I wouldn't play less than 2 copies of StP. Giving your opponent a couple life points is irrelevant if it means you can preserve board superiority. Nemesis is already a headache for this deck, so let's not allow Goyf to be as troublesome.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

I feel like an asshole bumping this constantly since I don't even play Legacy, but Daryl Ayers piloted a deck near identical to the one I've been playing (minus the Nacatls, plus Kird Apes) to 1st in a SCG Open. Here's the list:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckd...p?DeckID=78736

Creatures 12
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Tarmogoyf

Lands 17
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Taiga
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland

Spells 31
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Pyroblast
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Forked Bolt
    4 Ponder
    4 Treasure Cruise

SB 15
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Sulfuric Vortex
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Rough // Tumble

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

That's just RUG Delver, not Blue Zoo. Lately Mongoose has been replaced with old good Kird Ape in order to support Treasure Cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    That's just RUG Delver, not Blue Zoo. Lately Mongoose has been replaced with old good Kird Ape in order to support Treasure Cruise.
    Blue Zoo in its most recent incarnations, according to this thread, is just RUG Delver with a White splash big enough to support Cat over Mongoose. Going forward, I don't think it's worth giving up the edge Mongoose offers against Miracles since we aren't rewarded with Treasure Cruise. Seems like "Blue Zoo" without Delve is a strictly worse RUG Delver deck.

SO I am still playing this because I love nacatls. I recently acquired it on MODO so have been playing a lot in the tournament practice room and will play dailies when time allows. So far the deck seems solid with a slightly winning record. I am actually am working on two list now.

here is the first which is the one I have tested a lot.

4 scalding tarn
    2 misty rainforest
    1 flooded strand
    3 wooded foothills
    2 volcanic
    2 tropical
    1 tundra
    1 taiga
    1 savannah
    1 badlands
    1 plateau
    4 force of will
    2 daze
    2 spell pierce
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    4 lightning bolt
    4 tribal flames
    1 chain lightning
    2 green sun zenith
    1 nimble mongoose
    2 qasali pridemage
    3 tarmogoyf
    4 delver of secrets
    4 wild nacatl
    Sb
    2 flusterstorm
    1 pyroblast
    2 ethersworn canonist
    1 meddling mage
    1 gaddock teeg
    2 forked bolt
    2 grafdiggers cage
    2 sulfuric vortex
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 krosan grip

and this is the other one. I have not had a chance to play it much so the mana may prove to be too greedy

4 scalding tarn
    2 misty rainforest
    1 flooded strand
    3 wooded foothills
    2 volcanic
    2 tropical
    1 tundra
    1 taiga
    1 underground sea
    1 badlands
    1 plateau
    4 force of will
    2 daze
    2 spell pierce
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    4 lightning bolt
    4 tribal flames
    2 abrupt decay
    4 deathrite shamen
    3 tarmogoyf
    4 delver of secrets
    4 wild nacatl
    Sb
    2 flusterstorm
    1 pyroblast
    3 thoughtseize
    2 ethersworn canonist
    1 meddling mage
    2 grafdiggers cage
    2 sulfuric vortex
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 abrupt decay

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I played a similar list last week and did quite well against Lands, Belcher, some Junk aggro and various midrange decks. I've been getting those T4 kills quite reliably with those Tribal Flames. The deck feels like a RUG deck that issues Wasteland for additional colors that upgrade our current cards. Nacatl is often a 2/2 for the first 1-2 turns but landing a Tundra buffs it, Deathrite is mostly a mana dork that gains reach when you get a black source, and Tribal Flames is a 2 mana 4 dmg spell akin to PoP but that can hit creatures and that can go up to 5 dmg given enough lands. I've rarely been this happy with land heavy hands in a low-curve aggressive deck. Here's the list:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Wild Nacatl
    3 Tarmogoyf
    1 Vendilion Clique

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Tribal Flames

2 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Taiga
    1 Badlands
    //SB
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Invasive Surgery
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Golgari Charm
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    2 Pithing Needle

Of course a 5 color deck has its weaknesses to Wasteland but I find that the benefits of having your early threats scale immensely as the game progresses outweigh the costs. Luckily there are no black or white mana requirements in the main so the deck can play all of its spells with a RUG manabase, it simply gets stronger with the addition of white or black mana. Besides, playing 18 colored lands in a fast blue deck is usually enough to be able to cast our spells through Wasteland and to prevent a game loss from a couple of Wastelands unlike the 14 lands + 4 Wastes manabases from traditional Delver decks. Postboard I have lots of ways to deal with combo decks and control decks and usually an answer to everything except resolved super fatties (Marrit Lage, Griselbrand, Elesh Norn, Emrakul, etc.). Squeezing 1-2 Path to Exile would be my next SB inclusion.

There is no doubt that removing the black splash and DRS would strengthen the manabase as a traditional blue Zoo deck with a white splash only for SB options and the 3/3 Nacatl. I think the main differences are DRS vs. Grim Lavamancer/4th Goyf/TNN, and Tribal Flames vs. Chain Lightning. Obviously DRS is a great card in this deck and requiring black mana for reach is not that big of a drawback since the card does so much for the stability and versatility of the deck. Chain Lightning is always an option regardless of if you play TF or not but the opportunity cost is very real. Having additional 1 mana removal is always great for a weenie-type deck but lets not discount the massive reach and jump in versatility that a 4-5 dmg spell provides (especially against Gurmag, Goyf, and the Eldrazies). There is no doubt Kolaghans Command and Golgari Charm are great SB additions to the RUGw options as they provide an answer to TNN and some much needed grinding power against those midrange and control decks. I couldn't think of more flexibility in 4 SB cards than with 2 Charms and 2 Commands.

Any thoughts?
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Some random thoughts: Leovold is probably too slow on the aggro front, but a 3/3 that helps limit opposing removal might be worth a try in the Clique slot as long as you're on a 5color plan already. Otherwise, what about Libraries or Bobs? It seems like the list can use some actual card advantage, not just sifting with cantrips. I admit a problem with those non-blue card advantage engines is less blue for FoW, but when our threats are reasonably small (everything except Goyf) we tend to need to go wider.

Zoo was always aggro and went wide, traditional Delver tries to play a threat or two and ride them to victory via disruption. What's the role of this deck?
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    Some random thoughts: Leovold is probably too slow on the aggro front, but a 3/3 that helps limit opposing removal might be worth a try in the Clique slot as long as you're on a 5color plan already. Otherwise, what about Libraries or Bobs? It seems like the list can use some actual card advantage, not just sifting with cantrips. I admit a problem with those non-blue card advantage engines is less blue for FoW, but when our threats are reasonably small (everything except Goyf) we tend to need to go wider.

Zoo was always aggro and went wide, traditional Delver tries to play a threat or two and ride them to victory via disruption. What's the role of this deck?
    Leovold requires black and at 3 mana I would rather have an evasive threat that is on-color. One of the strengths of this deck is that it has access to 5 colors but it's essentially a RUG deck that can play additional lands to power up its spells.

The point of this deck is to play all of the best 1drops in order to get creature damage in early. Threats or burn will end the game. It is quite common to get your T1 Deathrite removed but your T2 Nacatl and Delver stick and apply huge pressure that leaves your opponent within Tribal Flames range.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I don't know if this deck is still on anyone's mind but it has been treating me well lately. Initially I just wanted to play something spicy at my legacy weekly (30ish players) but this deck has surpassed my expectations. I ended up going 4-0 going through:

Maverick 2-1
    Lost die roll, kept 5-lander with DRS and Nacatl (I put him on Reanimator), kept flooding, lost G1. He mulls G2 and gets mana short, I roll him over. G3 is tight and I take 5 Wastelands from Ramunap Excavator. I make a crucial missplay but fortunately I topdeck a Kolaghan's Command and take it right back.

UW Prison (RiP/Helm/Energy Field) 2-0
    Lost die roll, get early beats and burn finish for exactly 8 (Tribal + Bolt) when Ensnaring Bridge hits the board. G2 I mull to 6 and keep a slow hand with no threats but plenty of answers. Pierce RiP, Pierce Shackles, Charm a Humility, and burn for Lethal through a Porphyry Nodes that ate my Delver and my DRS.

Nic Fit 2-0
    Won die roll, mull to 6, get a 3 Nacatl start to his 2 Explorer start. Needless to say, his Explorers don't need Cabal Therapy for this matchup. Both games are long and grindy but I eventually get there G1 as he stumbles on his topdecks. G2 we go through half our decks and he is still at 20 life (8 lands on the table and never fetched!). I eventually get a Goyf to connect once for 5 damage before he dies and and a deathrite to activate once as well. 2 Tribal Flames and a Bolt later he is dead.

Belcher 2-0
    Won die roll, took G1 with a mull to 5 with a Daze and a scryed FoW with 2 lands and a DRS + Nacatl opening. G2 is the weirdest Belcher game I've played...

I played the same list posted above except with 2 Swords to Plowshares over 2 Invasive Surgery. I really want an answer to Marrit Lage/Reanimated fatties and something to bring in against fast aggro decks (DnT, Elves, Delver, Burn). Therefore, I need versatile instant removal at 1 mana in that slot. Path gives a land to DnT and Elves which is unacceptable. Vapor Snag is card disadvantage. Swords is off-color and gives life (relevant against Depths, Reanimate, Griselbrand) but it is clearly the lesser evil. I've also been contemplating Dead // Gone as a piece of tech in that SB slot. It is 1 mana, instant speed, on-color, deals with the fast aggro decks and can handle a Marrit Lage token and any reanimated fatty for 3 mana. I find the cost on the bounce to be a little steep. At 2 mana the card would be perfect for my needs but I am unsure if 3 mana is fast enough for Depths and Reanimator. What do you think?

Another inclusion on my mind is a Sylvan Library for much needed card advantage and additional manipulation. I think the card would be great as a maindeck inclusion as I have a wealth of unexploited life points that this deck's aggressive nature would allow me to spend freely. However I don't know what I would want it over. I've already shaved down to 3 Goyfs for a Clique in order to get a bit more interaction (less vanilla, more relevant cards postboard) and reach (Flying is important with burn reach). I don't think cutting Clique for Library would be a good move. In fact, I could even see a 2nd Clique make its way over the 3rd Goyf. Tundra is a card I've been sideboarding out a lot as it is basically an Island that says "add 1 damage to Tribal Flames and give +1/+1 to Wild Nacatl". Especially if I choose to take out StP for Dead // Gone in my SB... The only time I could see Wasteland being a good move on Tundra is when I go for a Taiga opener with Nacatl and follow up with a Tundra, that way Wasteland cuts me off blue. In most situations they would be cutting me off my Nacatl and Flames buff instead of trying to cut me off a useful color such as black and sometimes even red or green. I am completely fine with that scenario but I am worried about going down to 17 lands (15 blue sources). Perhaps it is worth it if it means I get additional selection in the form of Sylvan Library? Another option would be to cut the 4th Daze and go down to 25 Instant/Sorcery for Delver pre-board. Cutting on my early disruption, lowering my blue count, and lowering my Delver flip odds are not things I am looking forward to but perhaps it is worth it for a Library (or a 2nd Clique)?
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I think Blue Zoo benefits from W6 and fills an interesting niche in the current meta. T1 Tropical + Nacatl now has a good reason to play T2 Plateau.

Since the introduction of the London Mulligan and the printing of Wrenn and Six, I've noticed an uptick in Combo decks (Reanimator, SnT, Storm, and mostly Depths), 4c Control, and RUG Delver. That's around the time I started playing 4c Delver again. Lately, I've been trading blows with Control decks, mostly losing to Combo decks, and continue to struggle against the occasional Stompy decks.

I played Tribal Zoo at my last Legacy weekly and while Tribal Flames didn't do much, Wild Nacatl + Delver did a lot of work and the white removal suite really helps against the Depths and Aggro decks of the format. Here's a Blue Zoo list I've settled on after I decided to drop Tribal Flames. I also drew a comparison to my BURG Delver deck.

Creatures (14)
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Wild Nacatl (4 Nimble Mongoose)
    3 Tarmogoyf
    3 True-Name Nemesis (2 True-Name Nemesis)

Spells (25)
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Swords to Plowshares (3 Abrupt Decay)
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    1 Preordain

Other (2)
    2 Wrenn and Six

Lands (19)
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand (Polluted Delta)
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Tundra (Underground Sea)
    1 Plateau (Badlands)

Sideboard
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Path to Exile (Diabolic Edict)
    2 Wear // Tear (Plague Engineer)
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grafdigger's Cage (Nihil Spellbomb)
    1 Winter Orb
    1 Sylvan Library (Bitterblossom)

The biggest change is Nacatl instead of Mongoose. Nacatl is by far the better T1 play as it grows much faster than a Mongoose. Nacatl is an upgrade against all Aggro and Combo decks because shroud is almost irrelevant here. There is something really good about playing 8 aggressive 1-drops that just turns on the deck. Control decks take a hit from losing Mongoose which is why I added a 3rd TNN. Hopefully this is a good enough addition as most of my losses against Control decks come from Strix. Replacing Blossom by Library is functionally similar as you still have an enchantment that lets you pay life for cards.

All the Combo decks now have to deal with a faster clock. Swords and Paths postboard against Depths and Reanimator really helps stabilize and asks "Griselbrand or bust". White over Decay offers better removal against Infect. The loser here is the Elves matchup because there is no Plague Engineer. Cage over Spellbomb helps a bit here. Small but noticeable upgrades overall against nearly every major Combo deck.

In Delver mirrors I find the manabase more stable when I don't need to cast a combination of W6 and Decay. Nacatl and Mongoose are quite similar here but Mongoose gets the nudge. The biggest advantage comes from Path postboard against RUG, Grixis, and 4c Delver because they play no basic lands. Goyf and Gurmag all fall to the Exile removal suite. The main disadvantage come from losing Mongoose and Decay against UR Delver. Luckily for me, this deck is not at all represented in my meta (seems to be all the rage online).

DnT is made more favorable by having a bigger Mongoose, more TNN, and more CMC1 removal pre-board but won't benefit from any Plague Engineer postboard. I could always sqweeze a Sulphur Elemental or Grim Lavamancer but I don't think this matchup needs much of a boost given that it already suffers from W6.

Eldrazi Stompy suffers from the loss of Decay pre-board against Chalice but gains a bigger Mongoose, an additional TNN, and StP. Postboard Wear // Tear replaces Decay and Path replaces Edicts. I find this matchup to be slightly improved mostly by the abundance of Exile removal.

Miracles and 4c Control become more difficult with the loss of 3 shroud creatures and postboard Bitterblossom. Here's what I have in mind for these matchups:

Miracles
    -2 StP -4 Daze -3 Waste
    +2 Fluster +2 Pyro +2 Wear +1 Negation +1 Orb +1 Library

My plan is to go all out aggro + counters with TNN as a backup plan. I have to keep Bolts here because I don't have Decay to get rid of Narset, Teferi, and Mentor.

4c Control
    -2 StP -4 Force
    +2 Fluster +2 Pyro +1 Orb +1 Library

Similar plan here except I need Bolt to deal with Strix and Plague Engineer on top of the PWs. I find Force to be less relevant in this matchup where I can leverage tax counters via Wasteland. I still need to do more testing for this matchup though because they do play many Snow Basics and Wasteland could be losing a lot of value here when Force can counter all of their hay-makers.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

I've tried aggro builds with Wrenn, then decided i didn't like it because i'd rather have Burns and just ignore wrenns and try to swarm people with 8 mana 2/3s. Also i'm running 8 1mana 2/3s, our favorite Ape and the 2/3 deathhtouch from aethher revolt.

4 Kird Ape
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Narnam Renegade
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Fire // Ice
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Chain Lightning
    1 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Wasteland
    4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Taiga
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Scalding Tarn

2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Sylvan Library
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Destructive Revelry
    2 Submerge

I have a similar deck, with eight 1 mana 2/3 drops, and firmly believe in Curiousity being somewhere in your 75. That Revolt Elf is bonkers.

Curious Obsession ? I've thought of playing a Standstill for that purpose
    wanna share ur list?

Sure,

4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Curiousity
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Tarmogoyf