Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best combo hate for decks that don't have ?

Nov 2007
    Finland

Re: What is the best combo hate for decks that don't have ?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Hopo, that's pretty funny...Mindbreak Trap...Especially after the reasoning you provided for disliking Runed Halo. You will simply get Duressed or Chanted in the same way the Halo gets bounced. Thank you for your insight.
    You apparently didn't catch that I especially mentioned "Leyline of Sanctity combined with Mindbreak Trap." It should make more sense now to you. I can explain a bit further since I falsely thought this was pretty obvious: leyline keeps you safe from discard and tendrils. The combo player therefore needs a bounce and a discard to go off, and they might not even bother with the discard, depending on your tells, clock etc. This takes a whopping 4-8 SB slots, but I guess there's no way around that.

If I compare Runed Halo to any other option, I find it lacking. It suffers from the same problems as the terrible fish players used to when playing against combo: naming tendrils or Brainfreeze with Meddling Mage when you should be naming LEDs, rituals, wishes or tutors. It in no way keeps the opponent from winning unless some bad luck is involved in their end. The only thing that keeps me sometimes thinking of halo is that it can do wonders in some other matchups, like yourself mentioned.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Jun 2006
    Germany

I think Meddling Mage is the ultimate combo hate card if you are good at legacy. He helps you with your clock and is useful against every combo deck when naming the right cards. Furthermore he pitches to FoW.

For example the old landstill decks always had:

4 Plague
    4 Meddling Mage
    4 GY removal
    3 Wish targets

this is what was one of the strongest sideboards of all times because it covered every deck that was popular / difficult to beat for landstill at that time while running cards that are very powerful on their own and useful in several different matchups.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Yes, Hopo. We are all apparently saying the same thing then.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

The only real advice I can give for hate against Storm is to diversify your hate. The more different types you have, the harder it is to play around it.

Against Shelldock Isle, as has been mentioned, Wasteland is the best answer. Pithing Needle is pretty good as well, although it can be bounced easily. Or you can run craziness like Humility, Ensnaring Bridge, or things that tap guys (Whipcorder or whatever). Peacekeeper can also be good, and a kicked Orim's Chant can stall you a turn to use sorcery-speed removal.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

I am not sure if this is a real hate card but my friend's MUC deck runs Extract against storm variants. A few Tendrils list have exactly 1 tendrils in the deck and it is a complete shuts it down when it happens.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

It seems poor against TES. They would have a good out in Burning Wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Nov 2007
    Mol - Belgium

How good is In the Eye of Chaos against High Tide decks? It seems quite devastating to me, but I don't have the experience to be sure.

re: In the Eye of Chaos, I've run Nether Void against High Tide with significant success, and they seem about the same to me. Just be aware that as soon as they hit 8 mana it's going to get Repealed at the end of your turn so they can go off during theirs.

Thread Information