Thread: 2nd at That's Entertainment with Turbo-Drazi

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

2nd at That's Entertainment with Turbo-Drazi

As I was unable to make the trip to SCG DC, I was still fiending for some magic, and made my way to a new venue for me, That's Entertainment in Worcester, MA. I brought Turbo-Drazi, since its been treating me well recently and I am eager to fine tune my creation. You can only do so much two-fisted testing though, and tournaments are where you get the best learning. This event doesn't disappoint in this regard and with lessons learned in this event I am in the final tuning stages of the deck.

Enough talk though. The list!

// Lands
    4 [MR] Cloudpost
    4 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [U] Tropical Island
    1 [IN] Island (2)
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 [ON] Flooded Strand
    4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest

// Creatures
    1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 [M11] Primeval Titan
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    4 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    3 [ROE] All Is Dust
    3 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    4 [FNM] Thirst for Knowledge
    3 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
    4 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
    3 [GP] Repeal
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [UL] Crop Rotation
    1 [SOK] Pithing Needle

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    SB: 4 [ZEN] Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 4 [AQ] Energy Flux
    SB: 1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    SB: 1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 [TE] Propaganda

This time I took copious notes. These help me focus on my games, and also let me deliver a proper report.

Round 1: Matt (Zoo)

Game 1: I have Cloudposts into Vesuvas while he has Sylvan Library into Jitte and Nacatyl. Trinket mage becomes top, which becomes Emrakul
    Game 2: Multiple repeals keep a nacatyl off my face. A lavamancer joins the fray but quickly goes gravedigging with a Qasali Pridemage and Nacatyl due to All is Dust. Primeval titan ends up gaining me 42 life, which makes zoo's plan rather difficult. Emrakul finishes the job.

Round 2: Nick (Next Level Threshold)

Game 1: My early Top shows me a Trinket Mage, which gets me a Pithing Needle on wasteland while he works Life from the Loam heavily. Candelabra sneaks in before the Counterbalance, which lets me build up to Emrakul through another Trinket Mage.
    Game 2: He cantrips and builds a goyf on turn 2. I Bojuka Bog his grave away and Goyf has 3 turns of not attacking me for being a 0/1. After several countered Exploration maps, I Eventually plant a Primeval Titan, which leads to Emrakul.

Round 3: Brent (U/W Control Elspeth, Jace, Wrath oh my)

Game 1: Posts into Mages into Maps into candles into tops and the more candles. With mana this deck can do anything, including Emrakul. Oh ya, he makes a brief 2 turn appearance.
    Game 2: He confesses that he has a ton of dead cards on the main against me, and I watch him side out 12 cards. That's kinda terrifying. Top into posts, trinket mage. He plays a Runed Halo on Emrakul, which he lays just for permanents to possibly sac to annihilator. Mage gets candelabra and Emrakul on turn 5.

Round 4: Bret (Merfolk, rematch in Top 4)

Game 1: We have some solid interactions. Him wasting and forcing, while I get an all is dust off. His 2nd Wasteland holds me off enough for his bees to swarm my face. My first game loss of the day. frowns!
    Game 2: He lays a Lord of Atlantis and Vial, then a Standstill with a full grip. I think I'm doomed, but play out my land-go plan with a SDT while I can. He has no dudes in hand though, all forces, dazes, B2B's and more vials. When I hit the 25 mana mark he breaks his own standstill with a B2B. I then All is Dust twice, get a candelabra up and running with an island, which lets me go Emrakul.
    Game 3: I mull to 4 on zero mana in hand 7, 6, and 5. Uggg. Well I give it my best go. Hilariously one more turn and I would've had the game, but ya can't win 'em all.

Round 5: Alan (Show and Hive)

Game 1: He sets up for a Show and Tell. He Show and Tells, I force, he Pacts back. I have nothing good to show in, he shows in Hive Mind. He Intuitions and then Pacts my Intuition. That leaves me with a Pact Trigger to pay in upkeep. Thankfully lots of mana from Cloudposts and Candelabra let me do just that. He has to pay two pact triggers though, so isn't as fortunate and we go into Game 2.
    Game 2: I side in Chalice because I think it stops Hive Mind. Derrr it doesn't though. He sets up for an Emrakul Show and Tell, which I let resolve and I show in a Primeval Titan. I have multiple possible plays here, involving countering the show and tell, but go for the riskier Primeval Titan plan, as I'm holding eye of Ugin. I rip Candelabra which greatly facilitates the plan. I cast and tutor Emrakul twice on my turn, legend killing his while I end up with my own.

Top 4 Brad (Merfolk rematch from the swiss)

Game 1: This game is absurdly simple. My opener is 5 cloudposts and Kozilek. I play Post-go 3 times, then cast Kozilek and he scoops.
    Game 2: I go down to 6 from Coralhelm and Mutavault beats, eot Repeal the Coralhelm, which gives me time to play a primeval titan, which gains me back upto 15, then 25, and then leaves me get Kozilek, Primeval Titan, and Mage in play against his 3x Silvergill Adepts, which isn't a fair fight.

Finals Gabe (Playing straight Burn of all decks!)
    Apparently Gabe played 4 goblins players in the Swiss and drew into Top 4.

Game 1: He does me 16 damage in one turn with 2 price of progress. uff.
    Game 2: I get down a chalice @ 2, along with a Primeval titan that gains me over 40 life
    Game 3: I counter an early Sulfuric Vortex. I'm short one colored mana to play EE @ 2 to kill his Kiln Fiend, and his fiend, price of progress, and Fireblast does 27 damage to me in one turn.

All in all it was a great event. 22 people showed up not for large prizes, but simply to duke it out at a weekly event. I'll certainly come back at a sustained basis as these events were well run, amiable yet professional, the players were eager for games, and the store had a solid stock of Legacy and Vintage rewards at overly fair prices.

Props:
    Friendly personnel
    Cheap entry, high payout events
    Playing a deck that feels like Control Slaver again
    Getting the final pieces of info I needed to fully optimize the deck

Slops:
    Mulling to 4
    Me walking around like a invalid due to a foot injury

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

Re: 2nd at That's Entertainment with Turbo-Drazi

Congrats on the finish. My friend took UG Cloudpost to an Iowa City tournament today, without the Candelabras and a few cards we couldn't find; we put the deck together at the last minute before we left. He ended up going 4-0, 8-1 in games, beating Combo Elves, RW Sligh, something I can't remember, and UWr Landstill (me). The one game he dropped was against Combo Elves, were he cast All is Dust blowing up a bunch of creatures, and his opponent untapped and combo'd off with Glimpse. The deck looks incredibly fun to play, and is hilarious to watch.
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

Nice deck :)

Do you also play on magic online? Think i've seen this deck in action there.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNL View Post
    Nice deck :)

Do you also play on magic online? Think i've seen this deck in action there.
    Nope. I've heard its quite inexpensive to build it online so there's a good bit of popularity there. I had two different opponents at this event mention to me "oh I played that on magic online, I have you figured out" and then still lose to me. But I'm glad to hear that people can play it for cheap in some medium.

Gratzis! Now that you've cut down Candelabras thanks to the Mages, the deck appears less prohibitive to play and I see more players piloting it. On the contrary, that may result in the price of Candelabra going further up due to a spike in demand. And that would be no less than satisfying for me, if it reaches Moat/Tabernacle/Power status I would love to 1-for-1 trade my extra Candelabras for these cards. Anybody like me who didn't have the opportunity to acquire Tabernacle before it soared up (pfft! 43 Lands) would feel the same way.

One problem I had when testing this deck, at least previously, was Price of Progress. It can quickly undo Glimmerpost life-gain and will frequently produce losses of life that require double digit numbers to track. This example here is from a burn deck which isn't all too common, but some of the craftier (read: dangerous) Zoo players are aware of what this card can do.

Because the Propaganda seems so alone now, perhaps it might be better to convert that slot into something useful we can tutor for. A card like Zuran Orb would be very handy to find with Trinket Mage while also helping to mitigate the Price of Progress. Glacial Chasm might be another possibility, which would be a real surprise to someone who launches a flurry of burn spells only to meet your Crop Rotation.

Just some food for thought.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

Oct 2005
    Mass

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    Nope. I've heard its quite inexpensive to build it online so there's a good bit of popularity there. I had two different opponents at this event mention to me "oh I played that on magic online, I have you figured out" and then still lose to me. But I'm glad to hear that people can play it for cheap in some medium.
    By online I think some people may mean on MWS. I am almost positive I played you twice on MWS (same avatar as the one you use on the Source). First match I was running Blue Chalice Aggro. You brought in Hurkyl's Recall and it wrecked me. Second match I was either running Merfolk or Dark Depths and I won.

BTW this is Gabe :) Your Sligh opponent from yesterday. Those were great games. Congrats on your continued success. I have been keeping up with your threads, but I did not know yesterday that you were the same person. I thought you were someone just running the deck because it is awesome. Also, are you the creator of this deck or are you just its number one pilot/innovator

Quote Originally Posted by Angelfire View Post
    By online I think some people may mean on MWS. I am almost positive I played you twice on MWS (same avatar as the one you use on the Source). First match I was running Blue Chalice Aggro. You brought in Hurkyl's Recall and it wrecked me. Second match I was either running Merfolk or Dark Depths and I won.

BTW this is Gabe :) Your Sligh opponent from yesterday. Those were great games. Congrats on your continued success. I have been keeping up with your threads, but I did not know yesterday that you were the same person. I thought you were someone just running the deck because it is awesome. Also, are you the creator of this deck or are you just its number one pilot/innovator
    No, actual MODO.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital.../tourn/2105045

(3-1, PTPaul)

Candelabra is only several dollars there, and tabernacle is only a little bit more. (Forces are $100+, w/e)
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
    One problem I had when testing this deck, at least previously, was Price of Progress. It can quickly undo Glimmerpost life-gain and will frequently produce losses of life that require double digit numbers to track. Glacial Chasm might be another possibility, which would be a real surprise to someone who launches a flurry of burn spells only to meet your Crop Rotation.
    Hah. I was hoping I could have held out one more event before posting a final list, but the logical step is too obvious I suppose. I was talking with my teammate Jeff Carpenter on the car ride up to this event about how the Propaganda should REALLY be a Glacial Chasm. I had initially investigated Glacial Chasm in the original build sans-Glimmerpost, and you couldn't stabilize life total wise. And I never re-investigated it after its printing. Glacial Chasm is an incredible answer for when aggro simply gets out of control, and of course is an amazing answer to Price of Progress. It took this event for me to cement my belief that Glacial Chasm should replace Propaganda, and when I posted my list, I had to alter the change I had already made of 1x [TE] Propaganda -> 1x [IA] Glacial Chasm. Good intuitive leap though. =D

Quote Originally Posted by Angelfire View Post
    By online I think some people may mean on MWS. Also, are you the creator of this deck or are you just its number one pilot/innovator
    I'm not keen on Magic Online talk, but some people have posted lists online wizards endorsed tournaments, where they purchased cards. I'll get a link soon. I heard that Candelabras cost 1$ there, and I've heard hilarious QQ'ing from Starcity talking heads about losing to "crap decks" and then linking my deck.

I am both its number one pilot and innovator. I designed this deck prior to glimmerpost and primeval titan. The deck worked by design, but couldn't survive against zoo. By the time you gained control of the game, you were at lethal helix/bolt range and you had to get lucky with force of will rips. You still stomped anything blue though, so your pairings were hugely important. With the printing of Glimmerpost and Primeval Titan, zoo became significantly easier.

:EDIT: Looks like mchainmail beat me to it, here's a few more links:
    Drew Levin crying about Turbo-Drazi stomping him online and about how that ruins the format.
    More winning of PTPaul 4-0 in MODO

:EDIT: Looks like mchainmail beat me to it, here's a few more links:
    Drew Levin crying about Turbo-Drazi stomping him online and about how that ruins the format.
    More winning of PTPaul 4-0 in MODO
    I'm not sure Drew Levin is QQing there. It looks to me like he's fist pumping ("What is this deck supposed to beat?"); you have to admit, your deck is weaker than many decks in the current meta to 8 blood moon effects.
    Rishadan Port is like scuba gear.
    --FoulQ

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LostButSeeking View Post
    I'm not sure Drew Levin is QQing there. It looks to me like he's fist pumping ("What is this deck supposed to beat?"); you have to admit, your deck is weaker than many decks in the current meta to 8 blood moon effects.
    Well since there are mono-colored decks I would never make the claim that Turbo-Drazi is the strongest. However, I will make the claim that it is the strongest of the heavy nonbasic decks. As multiple people have pointed out, this deck runs numerous ways of finding your island under blood moon, and removing blood moon, something very few decks pack in even remotely the same numbers.

Decks without blue that pack Moon removal require multiple colors to achieve it, which exponentially complicates the process. Decks with blue rely on their counters more than board sweeping removal, which are unreliable against a deck that hinges on massive card disadvantage for such an enormous early tempo gain such as Dragon Stompy, the deck in question.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

This is Allan, I enjoyed our match. I never said I had you figured out, only that I knew what you were playing. Game 1 I couldn't get set up to go off before you had ridiculous mana, so I gave it a shot, hoped you would make a mistake in either my play or your upkeep. You didn't (but always give your opponent the opportunity to punt the game...) and we went to Game 2. Game 2, as we dissected afterward, required you to rip the Candelabra (or a Trinket Mage) or you would have been 1 mana short of success. Still, it was easily the most interesting turn of Magic I've seen or participated in any time recently. Gratz on the Top 2 and if you're showing up more regularly I really need some sort of plan for your deck. Thank Gawd price concerns will keep it limited at the GP
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    This is Allan, I enjoyed our match. I never said I had you figured out, only that I knew what you were playing. Game 1 I couldn't get set up to go off before you had ridiculous mana, so I gave it a shot, hoped you would make a mistake in either my play or your upkeep. You didn't (but always give your opponent the opportunity to punt the game...) and we went to Game 2. Game 2, as we dissected afterward, required you to rip the Candelabra (or a Trinket Mage) or you would have been 1 mana short of success. Still, it was easily the most interesting turn of Magic I've seen or participated in any time recently. Gratz on the Top 2 and if you're showing up more regularly I really need some sort of plan for your deck. Thank Gawd price concerns will keep it limited at the GP
    I meant no offense with your statement about knowing my deck, it just surprised me. I've heard people are actually having issues buying candelabras at all. There are only four listed on ebay and they are all PSA'd and over $110 each. Funny stuff. I'm relieved, because the mirror is actually completely crazy with posts amplifying each other on both sides of the board and the match is very very difficult to edge out advantages in and often comes down to who has more crop rotations and candelabras.

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Congrats on the finish! I've been intrigued by this deck since I first saw it. I would LOVE to build it, but I'm definitely not dishing out the cash for candelabra, when I could be buying FoW's or Duals. I've been testing this a little, and I will definitely keep reading your reports!

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Round 5: Alan (Show and Hive)

Game 1: He sets up for a Show and Tell. He Show and Tells, I force, he Pacts back. I have nothing good to show in, he shows in Hive Mind. He Intuitions and then Pacts my Intuition. That leaves me with a Pact Trigger to pay in upkeep. Thankfully lots of mana from Cloudposts and Candelabra let me do just that. He has to pay two pact triggers though, so isn't as fortunate and we go into Game 2.
    Game 2: I side in Chalice because I think it stops Hive Mind. Derrr it doesn't though. He sets up for an Emrakul Show and Tell, which I let resolve and I show in a Primeval Titan. I have multiple possible plays here, involving countering the show and tell, but go for the riskier Primeval Titan plan, as I'm holding eye of Ugin. I rip Candelabra which greatly facilitates the plan. I cast and tutor Emrakul twice on my turn, legend killing his while I end up with my own.

This is absolutely hilarious. "That's Entertainment". Pun fully intended. Grats! Would love to take this for a spin if it wasn't for the pricey Candles.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Someone suggested Magus of the Candelabra and Green Sun's Zenith on the same deck. The first thing that came into my mind was this deck.

Maybe a slightly different build with the same principle?

I mean you can still Zenith a Titan. Is there a green creature that could stop a Wasteland?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information