Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Free Article] Legacy: It's Like Having Tiger Blood

[Free Article] Legacy: It's Like Having Tiger Blood

I got to play a lot of Legacy the past few weeks, and the result was this article:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...ger_Blood.html

It's a bit of financial reporting/advice, some game recaps from tournaments, some deck tech and hidden gems / cards to watch... all kinds of stuff.

While my results weren't particularly strong in DC or NJ, I had a blast experimenting in the current metagame. Legacy is really in a great place right now. I hope this article reflects that.
    Curious how I became a Magic writer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onR9Y...eature=channel

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: [Free Article] Legacy: It's Like Having Tiger Blood

Love the article. Will you be playing at Redcaps on Sunday? Hope to see you there.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

That's a pretty sweet uh, "sandwich".

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

Awesome article Matt, keep up the good work !

Awesome article! Taking an objective look at legacy is a really important skill a lot of players don't have. They kind of assume a lot of stuff (deck a is insane, deck b is shit, etc etc), and just don't both to build correctly. I especially like the part about the duals at the end of the article (I didn't realize I was playing 75% of the blue duals in the top 8).

I also kind of wish I won the game where I managed to kill an emrakul with basilisk collar so it could be added to your "awesome ways to lose the game" segment, but sadly I ended up losing that game :(
    You can't pull out the RUG from under me, CUZ I AM THE RUG!

Quote Originally Posted by chinEsE girl View Post
    Awesome article! Taking an objective look at legacy is a really important skill a lot of players don't have. They kind of assume a lot of stuff (deck a is insane, deck b is shit, etc etc), and just don't both to build correctly. I especially like the part about the duals at the end of the article (I didn't realize I was playing 75% of the blue duals in the top 8).

I also kind of wish I won the game where I managed to kill an emrakul with basilisk collar so it could be added to your "awesome ways to lose the game" segment, but sadly I ended up losing that game :(
    I really enjoyed reading that part in your tournament report btw, and congrats on your finish. Any time a deck with Fire/Ice does well, I get excited. It's such a sweet card.
    Curious how I became a Magic writer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onR9Y...eature=channel

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Very good read. Getting more people to play Legacy would be great.

-Matt

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I really enjoyed this article. Very objective and well written! Great work, I don't understand why you'd say dredge is a bad deck though. It's the bad builds. People throw too much "cool" junk into their dredge decks like Iona, DRs and all sorts of crap. This leads to plenty of mulligans and inconsistencies. If people play the 4 of everything builds with 15 lands, no DR and no fancy DR Targets, I'm sure Dredge would post better results. For the last card in the deck, I play 1 Entomb as the 13th Dredger for the extra consistency. Darkblast dredges for 3 and doesn't cut it, entomb-> Grave troll is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    I really enjoyed this article. Very objective and well written! Great work, I don't understand why you'd say dredge is a bad deck though. It's the bad builds. People throw too much "cool" junk into their dredge decks like Iona, DRs and all sorts of crap. This leads to plenty of mulligans and inconsistencies. If people play the 4 of everything builds with 15 lands, no DR and no fancy DR Targets, I'm sure Dredge would post better results. For the last card in the deck, I play 1 Entomb as the 13th Dredger for the extra consistency. Darkblast dredges for 3 and doesn't cut it, entomb-> Grave troll is much better.
    The deck isn't bad, so much as I just don't think it is particularly good. I exaggerated in the article somewhat, for emphasis. Some friends of mine spent the day Sunday trying to convince me Dredge is the nut high.

I really would love it to be good. I have allllll the Dredge cards in foil for the day when it is tier one. I just don't think we're there, and we may never be there.

You stole all my tech, including Enlightened Tutor + Cursed Totem. Damn you Matt Elias, and Damn you Adam Barnello!
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Quote Originally Posted by mchainmail View Post
    You stole all my tech, including Enlightened Tutor + Cursed Totem. Damn you Matt Elias, and Damn you Adam Barnello!
    Some of my Vintage teammates floated Cursed Totem in that format in MUD vs. MUD, as a way for non-Worker decks to beat Worker decks w/out using Null Rod. It seems better in Legacy, far more valid / impactful "targets".

Quote Originally Posted by voltron00x View Post
    Some of my Vintage teammates floated Cursed Totem in that format in MUD vs. MUD, as a way for non-Worker decks to beat Worker decks w/out using Null Rod. It seems better in Legacy, far more valid / impactful "targets".
    Yeah, the card is insane, every creature in Legacy has a relevant activated ability, is named Tarmogoyf, Vendilion Clique, or is freaking huge.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by voltron00x View Post
    The deck isn't bad, so much as I just don't think it is particularly good. I exaggerated in the article somewhat, for emphasis. Some friends of mine spent the day Sunday trying to convince me Dredge is the nut high.

I really would love it to be good. I have allllll the Dredge cards in foil for the day when it is tier one. I just don't think we're there, and we may never be there.
    No worries, I also have the whole deck in Foil including SB (Need Wizards to print foil Undiscovered Paradises and Firestorms). Dredge is not well positioned right now, but if all the tempo-blue strategies stop being so popular and if combo wanes, it could be a good choice. I'd love to bring Dredge to a meta full of countertop. I wish dredge players will start realising that the most efficient way of winning is guaranteeing T1 Discard dredger, T2 the nuts with a draw spell/coliseum into therapies and Narcs FTW. DRs, Ionas, LEDs all just add to inconsistency. Cheers!

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Needs a little sub section about borrowing cards...
    Cuz some of us are broke students who can't possibly get non-foil Mox Diamonds and revised duals for a tournament. :P

Hi Matt, I only had time to quick-read it, but I bet it's a nice read and I always like articles with lots of decklists ( I'm even assembling elf-combo atm.) Two issues: Why no Sword of the Meek in Thopter Affinity? Second: When talking about the duals in top 8, one thing you should have mentioned is that one dual-free deck was running 4 candelabras, which are even more expensive (maybe you mentioned that, I just flew over the article).

Cheers

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

Great article, as usual. For the "The Awesome Ways That People (Several of Which Are Me) Lose the Game! " series, this one happened to me.

I'm playing a B/g hexmage-depths homebrew in a local tournament. I'm in the play and start, swamp, Top. My opponent goes Tomb, Chalice@1. My brain thinks:"If it's stax it will have wasteland, if it's dragon stompy it will have blood moon", and I go Mox Diamond, Hexmage, Depths, make the token in my turn. He goes Chrome Mox, Chrome Mox, Control Magic (Pepole still play Faerie Stompy and with control magic maindeck trap!).
    Team Stimato Ezio: You're off the team!

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
    -Kierkegaard

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by mchainmail View Post
    Yeah, the card is insane, every creature in Legacy has a relevant activated ability, is named Tarmogoyf, Vendilion Clique, or is freaking huge.
    There's no such thing as new tech, just old tech revisited.

Colin Chilbert and I ran Cursed Totem in our boards in our oooooold Turboland decks, until we realized that Damping Matrix was just better. I was running Thop/Sword, so Matrix is out, but no creatures (and Moat/EBridge) so Cursed Totem is basically infinity Pithing Needles in one card.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    There's no such thing as new tech, just old tech revisited.

Colin Chilbert and I ran Cursed Totem in our boards in our oooooold Turboland decks, until we realized that Damping Matrix was just better. I was running Thop/Sword, so Matrix is out, but no creatures (and Moat/EBridge) so Cursed Totem is basically infinity Pithing Needles in one card.
    I approve of this flashback to a time when Legacy wasn't Legacy.

Thank you, Adam, for reminding me of the good ol' days.

on topic: Great article, Matt. You're the reason I wish Star City Games wasn't on my companies blocked sites list... I hate having to wait til I get home or read them on my blackberry.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Matt, your enthusiasm really makes itself known here. You seem to be having so much fun that I kinda wish that I were living the Magic life for awhile. It's contagious.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Thanks for two things:

1) Cursed Totem (this is what I was looking for to find an answer against Lavamancer/Knight/Pridemage/Hierarch aka Zoo)
    2) That's a freaking HUGE sammich!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Thread Information