Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Obscure Cards with Latent Potential

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Obscure Cards with Latent Potential

A few cards I've been messing around with lately that I think *might* be legacy playable:

Smuggler's Copter
    Hidden Stockpile
    Ankh of Mishra

Copter seems to be good in a deck that is looking for an evasive threat that also has creatures that are valuable outside of combat (like Dark Confidant) and also need to filter draws into more action. Stockpile seems like it could be good in a Mardu based deck with Young Pyromancer and Goblin Bombardment, the scry seems very good and the tokens come right back. Ankh is old technology, but there are greedy mana-bases that are fetchland heavy in the DTB section (Czech Pile, Grixis Delver) as well as decks that play a lot of lands naturally (GR Lands, Nic Fit). Ankh has always been fringe playable, but Pile seems to be especially susceptible to a resolved Ankh.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Dominate
    good against flipped delver, good against 20/20s. Not weak to decay. Can be snapcastered/wished for if you have the mana.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Dominate
    good against flipped delver, good against 20/20s. Not weak to decay. Can be snapcastered/wished for if you have the mana.
    Entrancing Melody is mostly an upgrade to Dominate. It's a sorcery, but costs one less.
    Last edited by Jander78; 03-15-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added card tags
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Smuggler's Copter is no joke.

Played against a revived Painter's Stone deck that went t1 Ancient Tomb Smuggler's Copter, t2 Painter's Servant crew the Copter attack for 3, Mountain pass, held up REB for anything I played next.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Smuggler's Copter is no joke.

Played against a revived Painter's Stone deck that went t1 Ancient Tomb Smuggler's Copter, t2 Painter's Servant crew the Copter attack for 3, Mountain pass, held up REB for anything I played next.
    I think the loot effect puts it in the playable category, because we can find better utility threats for almost any deck than a 3/3 flyer. When your key creatures aren't interested in attacking and aren't busy doing what they usually do, attacking for 3 in the air and looting is very appealing.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I think the loot effect puts it in the playable category, because we can find better utility threats for almost any deck than a 3/3 flyer. When your key creatures aren't interested in attacking and aren't busy doing what they usually do, attacking for 3 in the air and looting is very appealing.
    It was working very well in that deck. As a replacement for Top, it gave them something easy to cast, gave Painter something to do besides sit there and enable the combo and blasts, it looted, and while not a Delver-aggro-to-death card, did put a clock on me to find answers. Not saying that Top isn't a better card, but in that deck, it was all upside.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Glint-sleeve siphoner due to its menace? It also won't kill you like bob...works OK with delve.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Glint-sleeve siphoner due to its menace? It also won't kill you like bob...works OK with delve.
    But also needs some other playable energy generator to be worth it since by itself, and assuming it's safe to attack, it will be 2 turns till you get your card, rather than one card like Bob. Is there another playable energy generator? I think I looked once and came away with thinking the answer was no...
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Custodi Lich. If Palace Jailer is good enough then this one has to be as well. Y'all been playing goodstuff value decks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Custodi Lich. If Palace Jailer is good enough then this one has to be as well. Y'all been playing goodstuff value decks anyway
    Demon stompy...? But really, probably just Nic Fit.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Yep, I have this on my "one day" list. It can kill a True-Name Nemesis, which is something the Jailer could only dream of. We just need a metagame shift and the blink effects to pair it with.

May 2015
    PDX

Other than being a high-variance board-in against SnT, I think you'd probably be better off with something like The Scarab God over Custodi Lich. The recursion, yard shenanigans, pitch to FoW, and upkeep drain/scry has to be more reliable than Custodi, I'd think. In terms of other black 5-drop creatures, I think Archfiend of Ifnir is a better inclusion between cycling (into reanimation) or just this on board -> Faithless Looting....your team dies?

While Glint-Sleeve Siphoner is interesting, I'm not really sure what else you're doing to make this a reliable card draw engine other than maybe saying Greenbelt Rampager is good enough for legacy. Rampager definitely operates independently as a 1-mana 3/4 (though you might have to cast it three times) and revolt enabler [Fatal Push]...but it's less clear why you're allowing Rampager to steal slots from DRS/Delver/Goose or maybe even Tarmogoyf. You could definitely troll the format with say Crop Rotation for Swarmyard (Delver = insect) and Elephant Graveyard. Coming back to Siphoner, I'm just not sure how that card is getting played without Greenbelt in legacy - maybe there is some card that benefits from multiple castings of creatures (sure Glimpse of Nature works, but we're not seriously trying to assemble ). Would probably need to see something extraordinary to see this pair in legacy, one quick look and the only cards I'm seeing that could justify this (but are too slow) are Bygone Bishop, Hidden Stockpile, Lifecrafter's Bestiary, and Equilibrium - honestly, I think you'd have to see a mechanic or effect like ripple, legacy-costed, and on the Greenbelt to work our way backwards into the deck runs Siphoner because it could run the elephant. The more playable card almost certainly would have to be Asylum Visitor as it doesn't immediately have us asking "why aren't we playing the usual suspects?"

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Dominate
    Didn't they change it so that transformed cards still have their original CMCs?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Other than being a high-variance board-in against SnT, I think you'd probably be better off with something like The Scarab God over Custodi Lich. The recursion, yard shenanigans, pitch to FoW, and upkeep drain/scry has to be more reliable than Custodi, I'd think. In terms of other black 5-drop creatures, I think Archfiend of Ifnir is a better inclusion between cycling (into reanimation) or just this on board -> Faithless Looting....your team dies?

While Glint-Sleeve Siphoner is interesting, I'm not really sure what else you're doing to make this a reliable card draw engine other than maybe saying Greenbelt Rampager is good enough for legacy. Rampager definitely operates independently as a 1-mana 3/4 (though you might have to cast it three times) and revolt enabler [Fatal Push]...but it's less clear why you're allowing Rampager to steal slots from DRS/Delver/Goose or maybe even Tarmogoyf. You could definitely troll the format with say Crop Rotation for Swarmyard (Delver = insect) and Elephant Graveyard. Coming back to Siphoner, I'm just not sure how that card is getting played without Greenbelt in legacy - maybe there is some card that benefits from multiple castings of creatures (sure Glimpse of Nature works, but we're not seriously trying to assemble ). Would probably need to see something extraordinary to see this pair in legacy, one quick look and the only cards I'm seeing that could justify this (but are too slow) are Bygone Bishop, Hidden Stockpile, Lifecrafter's Bestiary, and Equilibrium - honestly, I think you'd have to see a mechanic or effect like ripple, legacy-costed, and on the Greenbelt to work our way backwards into the deck runs Siphoner because it could run the elephant. The more playable card almost certainly would have to be Asylum Visitor as it doesn't immediately have us asking "why aren't we playing the usual suspects?"
    Vengevine is an interesting one with greenbelt along with buried alive/collective brutality.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Yep, I have this on my "one day" list. It can kill a True-Name Nemesis, which is something the Jailer could only dream of. We just need a metagame shift and the blink effects to pair it with.
    I've got custodi lich on my watch list too. Good body, draw engine and removal, all wrapped up in one card. I recently bought a Queen Marchesa because being the Monarch is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Didn't they change it so that transformed cards still have their original CMCs?
    They did and that make this alot worse.

O̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶e̶ ̶P̶a̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶J̶a̶i̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶t̶u̶t̶o̶r̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶e̶r̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶r̶u̶i̶t̶e̶r̶.̶.̶.̶.̶L̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶. I however had no idea that being Monarch actually lets you draw cards eot, that is awesome to know.

Edit: I take that back...is it tutor able by the white one, because it check on toughness instead of power.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I have also considered it as a Grave Titan alternative in the SB of weird Lake-of-the-Dead monoblack reanimator decks

Primal Order. I know that 4 is a lot and that it is restricted to decks with only or mostly basics but bruh...imagine dat against Grixis..

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Primal Order. I know that 4 is a lot and that it is restricted to decks with only or mostly basics but bruh...imagine dat against Grixis..
    You need to pay double the price and wait two turns to get the same effect as PoP. That just isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    You need to pay double the price and wait two turns to get the same effect as PoP. That just isn't good.
    Ok, hear me out: a mono green deck that uses Mana dorks and
    All those heavily pushed GGGGGGGGG creatures.

Thread Information