Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Obscure Cards with Latent Potential

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: Obscure Cards with Latent Potential

So the way you pound combo so hard is to pray that you draw one of your three Forces or that you get two of your blue mana producers and one of your 2 Counterspells in hand before the combo opponent rips it out of your hand or goes off in your face? Or do you only face combo decks that allow you six turns to set up first?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    So the way you pound combo so hard is to pray that you draw one of your three Forces or that you get two of your blue mana producers and one of your 2 Counterspells in hand before the combo opponent rips it out of your hand or goes off in your face? Or do you only face combo decks that allow you six turns to set up first?
    ?
    This is a loam version, so the g1 against combo is obv ugly. If you could play Exploration you can do Zur by 2-3 turn, burning wish to Slaughter games and so on...
    I've never said that this version is well set against g1 combo ^^

If you've gotten to the point that you can resolve Zur's Weirding isn't Jace, the Mind Sculptor going to be 10x better whenever you get to that point?

I love the card and I've played with it in lots of non-competitive lists trying to be competitive however it's a 4cc spell that has so many preconditions to being able to play it that it can't be good in a competitive engine. As a random 1-of it has value against a lot of lists but again you have to not only get to the point where you can resolve it but you also have to then *want to* based on the board state, cards in hand vs opponent, etc.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of Time
    I'm playing Zur Weirding in my Most deck (like the past 2 years) and it's spectacular against combo and Miracle (gg, no way out... only PiF, but your opponent has to be very lucky). If you want a deck around it i'm testing this one:
    Thinking about this though...What's a "Most" deck?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Only topdeck for pif though, and only with enough mana. Never happened to me.
    Most is an Italian deck deriving from soft. Like Bant maverick with hatebears and so on (there is a topic in development)

The problem with Zur's Weirding is that it does nothing to affect the board state or cards in hand, and is thus -1 card disadvantage every single time.

To make it even remotely useful in a given game, you have to be ahead on the board already. And if you're ahead on the board already and have guys like Dark Confidant in play, then you're probably going to win regardless of Zur's Weirding.

I've tried to play this card in the past and the fact of the matter is that it is simply a bad card.

Maindeck ok, zur needs board wipe and a deck built around it. But against deck that makes little pressure than you is a gg

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of the Time View Post
    Maindeck ok, zur needs board wipe and a deck built around it. But against deck that makes little pressure than you is a gg
    It's true that Zur's Weirding is a great card against most bad lists. PlagueRats.dec being a notable exception.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    The problem with Zur's Weirding is that it does nothing to affect the board state or cards in hand, and is thus -1 card disadvantage every single time.

To make it even remotely useful in a given game, you have to be ahead on the board already. And if you're ahead on the board already and have guys like Dark Confidant in play, then you're probably going to win regardless of Zur's Weirding.

I've tried to play this card in the past and the fact of the matter is that it is simply a bad card.
    +1

Also, since when was it a winning strategy to draw off of Dark Confidant AND pay life to keep cards out of the opponent's hand? That's a hell of a way to give up a game; you'll be giving the opponent cards because you suddenly can't afford to keep them off their good stuff. Maybe if your curve was low enough but you're already playing Zur's Weirding; are you seriously going to eschew Force and/or JTMS just to make Bob+Weirding be a thing? I'm guessing that way lies madness.

If you're suggesting that something like Batterskull or whatever is going to pull you through, I think the bigger question is why would you risk neutering the advantage that cards like Dark Confidant and Batterskull are giving you, just to play the questionable 4-drop that you have to already be winning to have it be good anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

I've never said anything of these things (bob, stoneforge ecc). I agree entirely, and for this reason i've posted a list that want to do 2 things:
    -Wipe board
    -Put Zur's---> Win
    Nothing special, nothing too broken for sure ^^ but believe me, if with that list you could win only against PlagueRats.deck the problem is your =)

If you haven't lose any game when you have putted Jace in play, so you don't need Zur's ^^

Here's a card I can't believe isn't worthy of Legacy play:

Paralyze

It used to be a staple but has fallen to the wayside. It deserves a mention along Dismember, Innocent Blood, Deathmark and Ghastly Demise as "ways for black to deal with a creature for 1 mana".

I'm surprised there isn't a deck that uses either some of the "change color word" or "change land word" cards.
    Alter Reality
    Glamerdye
    Sleight of Mind
    Spectral Shift
    Mind Bend
    Magical Hack

Those with things like Choke, Boil, Anarchy, Kor Firewalker, Circles of Protection, Empress Llawan, Deathgrip, et cetera et cetera... Somewhere in there is a rogue deck that could hilariously wreck the right meta.

Dance of the Many is a neat 2-mana clone, I can see some sort of blue enchantment-heavy deck using it against a creature-based deck, or a goofy infinite combo with Opalescence.

Why is Earthcraft still banned?

Quote Originally Posted by BVB09 View Post

No one is discussing this card? Yesterday Greg Hatch used it in a Blue creature deck with Spellstutter, Cursecatcher, Judges's Familiar, Nivmagus Elemental and Martyr of Frost.
    I haven't seen it before
    How about all this + patron wizard?

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    Here's a card I can't believe isn't worthy of Legacy play:

Paralyze

It used to be a staple but has fallen to the wayside. It deserves a mention along Dismember, Innocent Blood, Deathmark and Ghastly Demise as "ways for black to deal with a creature for 1 mana".
    Paralyze was a staple when Black had no good ways to deal with T1 Juzam Djinn and couldn't get around a Will-o'-the-wisp either.

It also had utility against Meekstone because dying to your own locked down Juzam really sucked.

Seems nice against UR delver/burn

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post

I'm surprised there isn't a deck that uses either some of the "change color word" or "change land word" cards.
    But here is and it's a very good one. The most competitive color hack is Painter's Servant + Grindstone + red blasts.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Wow that seems some sick tech indeed. It last only 2-3 turns but i guess you could sorta see it as a gain 4-10 life spell. At which point maybe phyrexian unlife is just better?

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Wow that seems some sick tech indeed. It last only 2-3 turns but i guess you could sorta see it as a gain 4-10 life spell. At which point maybe phyrexian unlife is just better?
    It could be run with cards like Hex Parasite to extend the number of turns,

[card]Zur's Weirding[/card] is a very good card but it requires some way to break the synergy explosively to make it good for 4 mana. I mean, there are lots of ways to get a lock on your opponent's topdeck with Zur. I think the easiest is having a [card]Golgari Brownscale[/card] in the yard. (Dredge, gain 3, spend 2 to lock out your opponent, play out of your yard). Really though, any lifegain will work. The trouble is that Weirding costs too much for what it does. If some card was printed that handled all other aspects of what Zur doesnt, then it could explode; this is one of those cards that will be a 20 dollar card once they print something like this:

Zur's Best Friend
    2U Creature
    0/4
    When this enters the battlefield, each player discards their hand and draws three cards.
    During your upkeep, gain 2 life.

Until that day, though, Weirding won't do anything.

I've used Energy Storm in Legacy tournaments before in an Elves list with a white splash. And it is, indeed, sick tech. It is not exactly what you want against something like Delver in the same way that Elephant Grass is not usually what you want. The cumulative upkeep is a pretty gnarly beast. However, it does give you a few turns to stabilize if your deck is making lots of mana.

The reason it worked in Elves was twofold:
    (1) I could increase my mana base each turn faster than the upkeep increased; and
    (2) It protects your creatures just as well as it does you, which is huge for Elves.

Storm is a totally solid card and probably could see a lot more play.

Along the sames lines: [card]Tropical Storm[/card]. This guy has lots of utility against Delver and Merfolk. I used to run one or two of these in Maverick sideboards.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    [card]Zur's Weirding[/card] is a very good card but it requires some way to break the synergy explosively to make it good for 4 mana. I mean, there are lots of ways to get a lock on your opponent's topdeck with Zur.....
    Deathrite Shaman is roughly what a "Zur's best friend" card should look like: It burns potential problem stuff that goes into the graveyard. It provides life gain that can be converted to to card advantage, and it helps accelerate into weirding in the first place. And, even more importantly, DRS is a solid card on its own.

The problem that Weirding really has is that it's a "lose more" card. You can't play it to turn a losing situation into a winning one.

Thread Information